Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wild in the Streets (485)

Fossil Pokemon going on a rampage? Where have I seen this before? *cough Kanto/Hoenn/PokemonChronicles cough*.

I didn't like this episode and I consider it to be one of Sinnoh's worst episodes ONLY because they added it right after a Gym Battle so it would serve as a training episode. That just seemed pointless since the training only lasted a short while. There's nothing I dislike more than training episodes right after Gym Battles. Aerodactyl showed off Giga Impact though, so it proved useful for something. 2/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 7th November 2010 at 10:11 PM.

I don't think it's too bad, although I wish they hadn't taken forever to get the rematch or get the first match (But I see why they did in the first place). It was interesting to see Aerodactly again but it has been done before. You know with these Pokemon always showing up (Not to mention two gym leaders having two of them) soon enough they aren't really going to be extinct (We already got like a colony of thousands Kabuto from like the OI sleeping somewhere and Omanyte/Omastars in Hoenn somewhere in a lake(
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

For the first time in a while, I'm giving reviews on consecutive episodes. So that means this episode must be important, and it is. But as other people have noted, for an episode that is important, it's one you're likely to skip. That's b/c the main plot is not the best, and not one you'll be on the edge of your seats for, although again the writers did a solid job setting this all up.

So why am I reviewing this episode? Well, it's for 2 conversations at the beginning of the episode, and one conservation at the end, with Ash being involved in all three. The first conversation features Dawn advising Ash to ask Professor Oak for Pokemon that are good match-ups against Roark's pokemon (she even offers Ash the use of Piplup if he wants). Ash refuses, saying it's not the way he wants to win. When Dawn doesn't get the logic (winning is winning, right-why make it tougher than it has to be), Ash points out the way Paul won, and says if Paul can do it, than so can he. Dawn eventually lets it go, though she still does not understand what Ash is talking about. All right, this is interesting for a few reasons. From Ash's point of view, it shows that in spite of Paul's lack of respect for his Pokemon, Paul is still a very skillful trainer who has begun to earn Ash's respect. But b/c Paul's philosophy in training Pokemon is so contrary to Ash's, Ash cannot just let it go that Paul succeeded at winning the badge using super effective moves rather than super effective Pokemon, while he did not. If he did, how could he ever really respect himself as a trainer or person? It's a real sign of growing up, if you consider what Ash's having to deal with. Most of the time for kids, life is about right or wrong. And with Ash and Paul, it's easy at first glance to say Ash is the good guy and Paul is the bad guy. Maybe that's the way Ash looked at it to start with. But at this point in the story, it isn't. Ash isn't trying to prove Paul wrong right now; he can't, after all, as Paul did win the gym battle. What Ash is trying to do is be able to look himself in the mirror; he needs to see that what he believes in is still okay. As a nineteen year old, I really think that's something that's more realistic. Most of the time, life doesn't simplify to good guy and bad guy. All you can ask for is to know you're a decent person with the right ideals-which is what Ash is trying to reassure himself of by winning his first gym battle using the training style he believes in.

Now for Dawn. I said in my review for the first episode of the diamond and pearl series that the writers have tried to balance her being like Ash vs. being a new coordinator. Here's one instance. Dawn in this episode has no idea what Ash is talking about with regards to how one wins; and honestly, I would imagine she feels like he's being foolish. But actually, down the road in a later contest, Dawn ends up making a remark similar to Ash's after she wins her first battle in the 2nd round; she says she wished she had won it in a different way. She's asked what else could she want besides winning by someone traveling along for a bit, and Dawn steadfastly says she wished she could have tried out different moves. That person also questions why Dawn would use a pokemon in what would be its first contest considering that this ribbon is so important for her, and Dawn basically smiles it off, saying she doesn't know until she tries-totally Ash like. The more Sinnoh goes along, the more Dawn comes to respect, and then admire, the way Ash trains, and she picks up more and more of his qualities. By the time Dawn is an experienced coordinator, Dawn and Ash really are very similar in the way they treat their pokemon and their philosophies on battling (although their styles remain distinct; I'm talking more about winning and losing). Still, there has to be some balance in the beginning, and it wouldn't be any fun if Dawn was exactly like Ash just b/c it perfectly works out they way. They're both courageous, and they both care for their pokemon. Things are limited to that in the beginning, and it develops as we go along.

Wow, I'm tired. But there's more I want to write about, and hopefully it won't take so much space. Okay. The 2nd conversation is Roark reminding Ash that he's battling him, not Paul. This really just goes back to the other point I made; Ash has to focus on proving his style right, and not on proving Paul wrong.

The third conversation at the end is Ash asking Dawn to teach him her spinning move. It's great for a couple of things. One is that even though Dawn is a new coordinator, she still is her own person with a unique style, and her individual creativity is, well, new. Experience doesn't mean anything as far as that's concerned. The way Ash handles that is also really wonderful; he asks her to teach him, and well....How to say this? I think the writers did a great job in making this scene very natural, in a way it doesn't make it seem like Dawn is more talented than Ash (or Ash is more talented than Dawn or anything like that). The scene is very in character for both of them, and I'm not sure how to express it any differently than that. Many times, I think, I've seen shows where when a new character is introduced, the writers have to convince us that this new character is extremely special, and I sort of get the feeling this comes at the expense of upstaging an older character. This scene doesn't do that, and I enjoy it alot. It's a way to create respect for Dawn without disrespecting Ash, if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by wind21; 24th June 2010 at 12:56 AM.

The fossil pokemon episode was great. All of them were very angry, only Buneary and Piplup have managed to stop them.
    And good to see Roark's Rampardos.

Grrrr. I've only seen the last 5 minutes of this episode where Cranidos evolves and Dawn shows off the spin technique. Well, its good that the writers are doing something new and having a gym leader's pokemon evolve. And the spin technique is the most well known and used technique of Ash's in Sinnoh. So this episode was pretty good for setting things up for future episodes. But I still have yet to see the whole thing. :/

I don't think I've seen an Aerodactyl since waaaaaaaaaay back in the first generation in "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon!"

Roark's Cranidos evolves into an awesome-looking Rampardos. This should give Ash a run for his money in his re-match with Roark.
    Alpha Sapphire planned team

Claimed by me!

Aerodactyl was newly revived and it had Giga Impact? How?

This episode was ok... It was cool to see an Aerodactyl again, it's Giga Impact attack was very powerful. I'm glad Cranidos evolved into Rampardos, Rampardos looks very cool. It was great for Ash to have his Pokemon learn the spinning dodges after he saw Dawn's Pokemon using them. It was cool to see Kabutops and Armaldo again.

40/100

It was strange to see Buneary and Piplup jump on top of Aerodactyl, and actually cause him damage that way.

So, apparently, all Ash needed to do to beat Roark was make his pokemon spin in mid-air. Sure, that makes sense.

I just watched this episode today, this is 1 of my favorite episodes. I love the rampaging Aerodactyl, Kabutops, and Armaldo. Also Craniados evolving into Rampardos was awesome. Team Rocket actually had a good plan for once, but they messed that up XD. Also, Dawn invents the spinning move in this episode, against the Aerodactyl, it was awesome to see her use that.
    Since this is like 1 of my favorite episodes in the DP series, I give it an 11/10!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Meh, this episode was a letdown. The animation was terrible, Aipom looked so weird with big head. Also, The characters looked awful, their faces(especially their eyes) were messed up.

It's annoying when Dawn called Prof. Oak a poet. Also, Dawn's spinning technique working all of sudden was weird. Dawn's Piplup and Buneary taking Aerodactyl down didn't make sense. I mean.....what's up with her cutsy Pokémon defeating a strong Pokémon like Areodactyl? Tbh, that spinning combo attack was cheap and it's shown to be a OP combo in this episode. Seriously, how could an Aerodactyl to go down so easily?

Team Rocket was annoying as usual and they bored me in this episode. Oh well, at least Ramperdos blasted them off.

The only parts I liked in this episodes are....

- The fossil Pokémon causing a havoc in the city.

- Roark's Cranidos evolving into a Ramperdos

-Ash training his Pokémon before challenging Roark again.

Other than that, this episode was lame.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 22nd May 2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

I wish that Dawn caught that Aerodactyl. It would have been a great addition to her team and it would have been interesting to see her use it in her contests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

I cackled when the staff from the mining museum realized that their big machine was gone; seeing TR with it in the woods was just so ridiculous that I laughed. Anyway, seeing Roark's Cranidos evolve into Rampardos here was cool, as was seeing Dawn's Buneary and Piplup develop that spinning technique that would come in handy later.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345