Thread: Rude Awakening (Pokemon X Fire Emblem; FF Quarterly 4 CHALLENGE ACCEPTED)

Default Rude Awakening (Pokemon X Fire Emblem; FF Quarterly 4 CHALLENGE ACCEPTED)

(Lovely banner by American--Pi.)

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!

But anyway... After many delays, here's my attempt at belatedly answering the Quarterly 4 Challenge by crossing over two Nintendo franchises I'm fond of, Pokemon and Fire Emblem. It has some silly tie-ins to other stories I've done for both fandoms, some obvious and some less so, but on the Fire Emblem end it involves a particular game in the series I've toyed around with writing-wise a lot and have had a lot of fun working with the characters, and on the Pokemon end it involves three Yangverse characters I've wanted to expand on for a while, and one I wanted to give a test run. It also inadvertently wound up being the Yangverse's first chapterfic ahead of the still-in-progress Heroes After All due to sheer estimated length.

But regardless, the resulting character collision occurs as such:

Rude Awakening

Chapter 1: Off The Clock

You'd expect picking a vacation spot would be easier for the goddess of space, Palkia thought.

Unfortunately, it wasn't, for the vacation spots were ones a bit out of her comfort zone in that regard: Alternate universes, ones mostly heavily displaced from the ones she sometimes casually visited.

It didn't help the guide to said multiverse she was reading had various terrible jokes and memes scrawled in it by a certain brother of hers.

She groaned and looked up to gaze around said brother's home dimension, looking among the black and purple haze and the chunks of off-looking earth with off-looking plant life until she spotted Giratina in his Origin forme, idly hovering and levitating a Nintendo 3DS he was playing before him.

Knowing her space-bending powers would probably be affected by the nature of the place, Palkia spread her wings and summoned a jet of water to propel her to a chunk of the off-looking earth near where her brother was idly floating to wave the book at him, scowling.

"Hey! Giratina! You agreed to help here!"

Giratina turned his attention away from the video game to address his sister. "Ooh, right, the vacation! What's it for again?"

Palkia sighed and shook her head. "We're trying to cheer Dialga up!"

"Isn't bro too stuffy and busy for a vaycay most of the time?"

Palkia paused, then looked away. "It... Hasn't been that long since... What happened with Cyrus. I see him more than you do. As much as he tries to hide it he's still really upset over it."

She turned back to him with a still-despondent look."And... Well, we both already owe you, that kid, and Cynthia big time for stopping him... But you know the multiverse better than I do, so I wanted you to help me pick a fun spot. So we could both cheer him up."

Giratina paused, then nodded somberly himself. "Good point... We could all try to find a place to chill after that..."

He then promptly turned back to his game. "Just let me get to a spot where I can save..."

"Alright, then-"

She took a closer look at the game he's playing and scowled. "Hey, wait a minute!"

She snatched the game and system from him. "That's my copy of the latest-"

She paused, stared at the game for a few seconds, then snapped two of her claws together and grinned. "That's it! We give Dialga one hell of a theme vacation!"

Giratina stared at her in confusion. "Why would we want to take him video game shopping?"

Palkia smirked. "A bit deeper than that, dear brother."

She gestured to the eldritch space around them. "Your little... abode ties into all sorts of other worlds! Now, not even we know exactly how many are out there, but likely millions, trillions, quite possibly an infinite number of 'em! And if there are that many, well, some might just very well be kinda familiar..."

She points to the 3DS's screens. "...But that's more your department. Can you find out if there's a universe anything like the thirteenth and newest installment of my favorite strategy game series?"

Giratina blinked and stared a good while before responding. "Um... Lemmie try something."

He soared off further into his realm until he was a speck in the distance, leaving Palkia to stand impatiently and cross her arms to stare after him a while.

Eventually, Giratina returned levitating a small rectangular device in front of him, using the points of the tentacle-like structures on his back to tap it carefully. Palkia eyed the device quizzically.

"Is that… A Sliphpad?"

"Yup! State of the art. Use it for keeping track of all the really out there universes as well as the closer-to-home ones."

Palkia glanced at the book she was holding then at Giratina irritably.

"Why'd you give me the musty guide with all your doodles in it then?"

"Hey, don't diss my modern art."

Palkia flung the book at Giratina's head. He didn't notice as it bounced off of one of his facial plates, but he did notice something on the screen he quickly tapped a tentacle to and levitated toward Palkia for her to look at. "Is this it, sis?"

Palkia grumbled as she took the Sliphpad, expecting Giratina to have found a world closer to Dragonite Quest or Last Legend or, if she was lucky, a previous game in the same series as the one she wanted, only for her own eyes to light up upon seeing she was wrong. "This… This is it! It's pretty much it! I can't believe I'm saying this, Giratina, but you're a genius! Thank you so much!"

She embraced her more serpentine brother, who reciprocated with his three sets of tentacles. After the hug was broken, she bounced up and down excitedly on her large feet, her claws clenched and her long tail thumping the ground in excitement. "This is gonna be great! We're gonna take Dialga on vacation there and all have a blast, and he's gonna be so much happier and we just need to think up some good disguises and get access to -"

She froze in place mid-sentence, then scowled, tapping her foot. "Great. I just realized there's one particular obstacle to getting the resources."

Giratina gave her a puzzled look. "...Um, we're Legendaries? We can just get 'em however?"

Palkia sighed and put a claw to her forehead. "...Problem is that "however" involves one particular other Legendary."

----------------

"So... let me get this straight, space babe."

Palkia's eye twitched at that particular moniker from the small, grey-and-pink creature with gold hoops before her and Giratina within a quiet forest grove, but allowed him to continue.

"You want to take your bro on vacation to a fancy swords 'n sorcery universe to cheer him up after that Cyrus guy tried to push the reset button on the universe, and honestly, I don't blame ya!" said Hoopa. "Some ******* trying to do that has gotta rub you guys the wrong way."

He then raised an eyebrow. "That said, why do top-tier deity Legendaries like you guys need into... The Stash?"

Palkia sighed. "Hoopa. Everymon knows you are the ultimate hoarder. Your pocket dimensions are filled to the brim with the sorts of things we need for this fantasyland vacation we can have easy access to anytime, so we're gonna need you to tag along."

"Plus, if I screw with your pocket dimensions enough I can let us get to the wifi and stuff back home!" said Giratina. "Can't forget the essentials."

"...What he said too," said Palkia.

Hoopa tapped one of his mitt-like hands to his chin in thought for a bit before looking to the other two Legendaries and nodding. "...Alright then. You guys are the bosses. Plus, If you wanna cheer your bro up that bad that's a hell of a nice thing to do. I guess I can let you in on The Stash for this little trip of yours."

He then smirked a bit. "...On three conditions."

Palkia scowled. "Figured. What do you want, you greedy little djinn?"

Hoopa's smirk grew wider. "First, all use of the Stash is under my supervision."

"Okay, that's fair enough. Next?"

"Second, I actually want in on this vacation, not just to be some sort of luggage carrier. And if it helps on your end I'll at least try to help cheer your brother up."

"Also fair enough, what's the thi-"

Hoopa made a gesturing motion with one of his hands as his smirk morphed into an outright mischievous grin.

"...Bottle."

Palkia's scowl likewise grew more intense. "You know full we-"

"Deal's a deal."

"Just roll with the dude, sis," said Giratina.

"...Fine," said Palkia, "but keep an eye on him."

A rift in space opened, which she quickly dashed through.

------------

In a Hoenn Pokemart winding down for the evening, a lone employee stood idly lost in thought as he waited for his manager to bring his paycheck, only to hear a voice in front of him.

"Yo!"

He blinked and turned to see a young, pink-haired, red-eyed woman in pink and white clothing - he noted her t-shirt had characters from the TV show Valiant Knight Skarmory on it - giving him a doe-eyed look that to the worker seemed a tad too innocent.

"Hi there! Let me guess, you were working the night shift one night some time ago?'

"Erm, yea-"

"And this crazy old man came in and robbed the place?"

"...Y-yeah?"

"And then he gave you this bottle and made all these oh-so-creepy mutterings about this Hoopa Pokemon whose power would be unsealed for three days if you opened it but when you did nothing happened and it was all like, to use the phrasing of one of my brothers, two spoopy four you?"

"H-how-"

"And you've just been oh so dearly hoping you can find some passerby you can feasibly pawn it off to so you don't have to deal with it anymore?"

"U-um..."

The woman extended a hand. "Gimmie."

The man quickly pulled out a strange purple-grey-and-gold bottle and plopped it into her palm.

"Thank you sir, have a nice day!"

A rift in space opened next to her, which she darted through just before it closed and vanished.

The man simply stared blankly a good while after.

"...I need a raise."

----------------

Palkia quickly emerged back in the grove where her brother and Hoopa were, her more natural form and scowl quickly returning. "Found it."

Giratina blinked. "How'd you find it so fa-"

"The 'pay a guy to act like a creepy hobo and pawn it to some nobody' trick is losing its luster, Giratina."

Giratina fell silent as Palkia grumbled and popped open the bottle. Immediately a sparking haze of black energy emerged and swirled around Hoopa, and he laughed maniacally as he grew and grew until the haze dispersed to reveal a towering, six-armed, monstrous version of himself.

"Yes! My true power! And I know just what i'm going to do with it first!"

He created six portals from his hoops and reached through them with all six arms to pull out countless boxes of donuts of various brands.

"Hey!" Said Palkia. "You're supposed to help us with-"

"Aye, space babe, hold up! Getting my true form back works up an appetite!"

He promptly used all six arms to shovel the donuts into his toothy maw and toss the boxes away, let out a resounding belch, then turned back to the two dragons before him. "Alright, appetite sated, I'm ready. What are we gonna need from The Stash for this little renaissance affair?"

Palkia's expression became more passive as she put a claw to her chin.

"Hmmm..."

--------------

In a dimension dominated by an omnipresent blue haze and teal, diamond-like, crystals of various sizes floating through it, Dialga was peaceably reading a book - a long one, he needed it to keep his mind on it for long. He flipped to one page, blinked at something scrawled in the corner, and groaned. "Giratina, must you leave your mortal innuendoes and cultural crude jokes everywhere?"

It was right then he heard a voice from behind him."Bigger question, bro, you ready for us to rock your world?"

Dialga stiffened with an annoyed expression and turned around. "Please tell me you weren't stupid enough to replicate a certain-"

He blinked to find not only Giratina, but Palkia and Unbound Hoopa standing together before him, standing under a banner that said "VACATION TIME!" With a strange teardrop-shaped sigil Dialga didn't recognise below it.

"...Alright, what are you three up to?"

"We're up to cheering you up by going on a multiversal vacation!" Said Palkia.

"Sis got a crazy idea for the theme," said Giratina.

"And it only took just under three days for us to get most of the stuff read-" said Hoopa.

Suddenly a mass of black energy dispersed from him and entered someplace on Palkia's person, reverting him to the form of a small, poltergeist-like creature.

"...Scratch that, exactly three days," said the now-Confined Hoopa.

He made another beckoning gesture to Palkia, who wagged a claw back in a scolding fashion.

"Ah ah. You're gonna need to be small and innocuous-looking for part of this."

"And what exactly are the fine details of "this"?" said Dialga, scanning the other three skeptically.

"Well," said Palkia, "You - and really, all of us - could use a load off after... the Cyrus incident..."

Everyone grew silent. Dialga stiffened a bit but allowed Palkia to continue.

"...But me and the others found a good way to do so!" Said Palkia. "Go on a theme vacation to an out-of-the-way universe and have fun incognito with the locals to let off steam better than Volcanion does!"

"Erm," whispered Hoopa, "Knowing Volcanion personally, if you take what you just said metaphorically it totally works,but more literally not so much since she can get kinda-"

"I know, stick to the script!" Palkia whispered back.

Dialga just stared awkwardly until hesitantly continuing.

"...Go on?"

"Well," said Palkia, "Giratina and I found a universe just like the thirteenth, newest game in my favorite strategy game series! And Hoopa here's gonna join the ride and let us all have access to local niceties while we're at it!"

*"We'll go incognito, chill with the locals, relax, have a good time," said Giratina. "It'll be perfect!"

"And I've got all we need to keep access to conveniences back home!" said Hoopa. "It's a win-win situation!"

Dialga looked at them all, conflicted, before sighing.

"All of you, I appreciate the effort and" - he paused - "concern. But this sounds rather risky, especially given things have gotten iffy via Palkia getting me too deeply into her interests in a less literal fashion. Remember when you tried to get me to read that Home-whatsit comic, sister? I had to drown my sorrows in Giratina's alcohol over all the convoluted meddling with time in its narrative!"

Palkia frowned and raised a claw. "Okay, that was an exceptional case, yet I get why you're wary. But me and Giratina found a spacetime coordinate in this universe that'll be totally fine."

"How?" said Dialga. "Doesn't that strategy game involve war? We can't barge in on another universe and commit wanton murder on the locals!"

"That sweet spot Palkia mentioned is an era of peace, bro, just long enough for a good cooldown," said Giratina.

"...Era of peace?" said Dialga.

He turned his head away and thought a bit before turning back and nodding.

"...That does, in fact, sound nice."

He frowned again. "But abandoning our posts here might cause complications, especially so soon after a disruption..."

"Well first," said Palkia; "we're not Legendaries from some human fantasy novel that go poof if no one is around to clap their hands and believe, You know we're made of tougher metaphysical stuff than that. We can leave and come right back in a spacetime sense just fine. And just to make sure, Hoopa can help us keep an eye on things back home."

Dialga paused, then lowered his head and closed his eyes a bit before looking up and smiling.

"...Very well. This vacation could be just what we all need."

Palkia pumped her claws. "Yes! Thank you, Dialga, you're going to love this! We're going to love this!"

"Alrighty then!" said Hoopa. "Now the multiversal getaway is a thing, we gotta get the disguises ready!"

Dialga eyed him oddly. "Disguises?"

Hoopa grinned. "Newsflash, Timeasaur! Me and your sis teamed up on the filthy cosplaying and LARPing bit!'

----------

The four Legendaries, all but Hoopa having assumed human forms, were gathered around four of the latter's pocket dimension hoops, all going over a book together with Palkia.

"OK, to start I think I'll demonstrate what we're going for..." said Palkia.

She hopped into the hoop-portal and emerged a few minutes later wearing a distinctly flamboyant dress-like outfit themed around her more natural dragon form, complete with a long staff that had the Lustrous Orb embedded atop it. "Ta-da!"

Dialga raised an eyebrow. "I thought this was a universe stuck in the medieval period, not one of your human magical girl shows."

Palkia huffed and waved her staff at Dialga. "Not so fast. I'm a Valkrye, I've got a balance of healing and offense magic. Granted, latter for self-defense, but still."

Dialga tilted his head. "So this is one of those character class things?"

Palkia smirked. "Exactly."

"Ooh!" said Giratina, balling his fists excitedly, "What do I get to be?"

Palkia grinned. "Found a perfect one for you, Giratina..."

She flipped the book to a new page and presented it to him. "Dark Knight!"

"Ooh!" he said again, his red eyes giving a rather off-looking sparkle, "Is this like that one Gligarman movie?"

He struck a dramatic pose. "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the vil-"

Palkia quickly frowned. "Not quite right either, you've got a lot of both physical and magical power and can still take a hit."

Giratina blinked. "Oh, that's cool too! Lemmie get mine on..."

He ducked into his own portal and emerged in plate armor themed around his own natural form, complemented with a sword adorned with a Griseous Orb on its hilt. "Ready to kick ***!"

<OK, wait, if you guys are all putting on human suits for the locals, how do I get in on that?> said Hoopa.

Palkia raised an eyebrow. "You likely have something in that "stash" of yours... "

Hoopa placed a mitt-like hand to his chin and thought a bit before his eyes widened. <Wait! There's that one armband doohickey, hold on!>

He jumped into his hoop portal and emerged shortly after as a scrawny, bronze-skinned youth, more teenager-ish in looks than his fellows, with pink hair tied back in a ponytail. "Geez, I dunno how you guys are so used to the whole funny looking monkey gig, such weird spindly legs..."

He shuddered, then turned to Palkia. "But I'll live with it for this. Speaking of which, what do I go as for this whole LARPing session?"

Palkia smirked and turned the pages of the book to a page she held up for Hoopa to see. "Trickster."

Hoopa looked and grinned. "That's my style."

He lept through his portal again and emerged wearing clothes themed around his confined form that seemed a paradoxical combination of jestery and roguelike. "Ready to role!"

He turned to Dialga. "Your turn, vacation boy."

Dialga put a hand to his chin and thought, then turned to Palkia. "May I see the book?"

Palkia handed it over, with Dialga immediately flipping through it until he came upon a particular page and grinned.

"Perfect! This "Manakete" class suits me nicely."

Palkia raised an eyebrow. "The dragon one?"

"Yes! It'll let me assume my natural form while still blending in!"

Palkia scowled. "Hey! You may be vacation boy, but no cheating!"

She smiled and flipped to another page in the book. "How about a Taguel? Turns you into a critter other than a dragon, good for variety, huh?"

Dialga looked a bit before nodding. "Acceptable."

"Great! Can I have your Adamant Orb?"

Dialga hesitantly handed it over before Palkia and Hoopa whispered to each other, she dived into his hoop, and emerged with the Adamant Orb emitting a strange glow. "Here you go!"

Dialga warily took the orb back and gasped and shuddered a bit as his human ears grew much longer and floppier in shape and excess blue hair sprouted in several places on his body. "What just-"

"I tweaked it a bit to let it serve as your Beaststone. It'll let you shift between what you are now and your more beastial form. Though for this form you should get that armor you saw in the book on."

Dialga blinked, but hopped into his own hoop anyway, and hopped out in armor that was, like his fellows, themed around his more natural form, but in his case form-fitted around his upper arms, lower legs, waist, and chest with no noticeable weapon. "I... believe I am ready."

"OK!" said Palkia. "I think our usual human monikers will work here."

"Valentina for you, Howard for Giratina, and Quentin for Dialga, right?" said Hoopa.

Palkia smiled. "Yep."

Hoopa smiled back. "Call me Bartimaeus then."

"Fine by me. Everything we need packed in The Stash already?"

Hoopa nodded. "Yep."

Palkia turned to Giratina and grinned.

"Gratina? Rev up that portal."

Giratina grinned back to spread his hands in front of him and summon a large, distorted portal with a bright light emerging from within.

"So we're going?"

"Ayep!" said Hoopa.

"You bet," said Palkia. "But Giratina?"

"Yeah sis?"

"No flirting with the locals."

Giratina raised a finger to object before Palkia cut him off.

"Of any gender or species."

Giratina grumbled, and crossed his arms as he followed the others into the portal.

And there's our kickoff! I've technically already got Chapter 2 queued up (I actually wrote a big chunk of both the first and second chapter in a notebook while I was away from anything with Internet access for a couple weeks a few months ago, and just need to transcribe second as I did first here) so expect it soon enough! For now,feel free to tell me what you think so far.
    Last edited by Umbramatic; 21st July 2016 at 4:12 AM.

We're Legendaries. It's just a short vacation. What could possibly go wrong?
    Click for more fics of the Yangverse!
    Coming Up: Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Plasbad [Re-PLAAAAASMA'd Edition]|Heroes After All
    AO3|FFnet|Pokemon Tumblr
    Also: Bear No Fruit, a Zootopia story

Well, this seems like it'll be an interesting tale. I haven't really played any Fire Emblem games or watched any Let's Plays of them, but I suppose I do have some knowledge from what I've read on TVT and such... Should I look up an LP of the game or something in order to better understand the setting?

Anyways, the interactions between the legendaries were fun, and I particularly liked the Pokémart scene. Found that part very amusing.

So, yeah. The set-up seems good, and I'm curious about what will happen next.
    Formerly known as EeveeandKirliafan.

Check out my fanfic! Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Reflecting Balance

Latest chapter: Chapter 48: "I wonder what returning home will be like..."

Also, for those interested in Winx Club: A Wizard's Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by DarkerShining View Post
    Well, this seems like it'll be an interesting tale. I haven't really played any Fire Emblem games or watched any Let's Plays of them, but I suppose I do have some knowledge from what I've read on TVT and such... Should I look up an LP of the game or something in order to better understand the setting?
    First off, thank you so much for reading! And short answer is, if you want! The setting will gradually be explained as part of the story's progression to make this fic more accessible to non-Fire Emblem fans, so it hopefully wouldn't require much extra research to enjoy! That said, if you or anyone else wants some extra familiarity on what it's going into and are willing to watch someone else play the game to get it, an LP's a viable option! I recommend this LP, though you can search around for another; I do recommend skimming over battle-heavy segments with no character dialogue and the very-late-game side stories if you want to get more of what'll actually be important to this fic regardless.

Anyways, the interactions between the legendaries were fun, and I particularly liked the Pokémart scene. Found that part very amusing.
    Haha, thanks. I knew I had to address the in-game Hoopa event somehow, and that felt like a fun way to do it.

So, yeah. The set-up seems good, and I'm curious about what will happen next.
    Again, it hopefully won't be too long until you find out!
    Last edited by Umbramatic; 23rd July 2016 at 12:45 AM.

Coming Up: Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Plasbad [Re-PLAAAAASMA'd Edition]|Heroes After All
    AO3|FFnet|Pokemon Tumblr

Aaaand here's Chapter 2! This is where we start getting into the Fire Emblem bits, though, in a way people can hopefully get the gist of.

I also apologize in advance to any residents of Utah reading this.

Chapter 2: Welcoming Committee

The four emerged in a grassy meadow, the portal quickly closing behind them as they gazed around curiously.

"Doesn't look like anything too out of the ordinary..." said Dialga.

"You'll see soon enough," said Palkia, "There should be a big city up ahea-"

"What is that?!" said Hoopa.

He was pointing to a brown shaggy creature, with round ears and sharp claws and teeth, sniffing at them cautiously.

Palkia blinked. "Seems this is a bit further from home than expected - that's an animal, not a Pokemon."

"A-animal?" said Hoopa.

"They are beings touched by forces quite different from us Legendaries," said Dialga; "Like Pokemon, but feral and with only basal intelligence."

"So that thing is a fucked-up Ursaring?" said Hoopa.

"It's just a bear." said Palkia.

"...Just a bear? Not an Ursaring or a Pangoro or a Beartic or a Bewear, just a bear?"

"I... think it's a brown bear?" said Palkia, shrugging sheepishly.

Hoopa crossed his arms. "They need to hire a new guy to name these things."

"Can I keep it, though?" said Giratina.

Everyone looked over to see Giratina was holding the bear and pinning its limbs from behind, the creature roaring and attempting to futilely claw and bite at him.

"Giratina, no, you can't just adopt the local fauna in place like this!" said Dialga, scowling.

"But it's soft and huggable," said Giratina, pouting.

Palkia sighed. "Just keep it untill we get to Ylisse and we'll see what we do there."

She headed off, everyone else following after, the bear still struggling and roaring in protest in Giratina's grip.

--------

The four eventually wandered far enough to reach the outskirts of a lavish city before them.

"There it is! Oh, it looks just like the game, I'm so excited!"

"Fancy place!" said Hoopa. "What's it called?"

'Yilissitoll, capital of Yilisse!"

"...The cities too?"

Palkia shrugged. "Eh, I've heard worse. There's this city near a salt lake in a universe we stopped by one time, you know what they called it?"

"...What?"

"Salt Lake City."

"...I'm suddenly grateful for our universe."

Palkia smiled. "As a mon who helped make it, I appreciate that. That said, let's see this one up close, shall we?"

The bear roared in protest again.

"Hush, Wuzzles," said Giratina, patting the bear softly while maintaining his tight grip. "I'll get you snacks when we get to the city place."

"Giratina, you were supposed to let that thing free when we got to the city!" said Dialga.

"Er, actually," said Palkia, "Letting it loose this close to the city might be a problem."

Hoopa put his hands on his hips. "...I'm not putting that in the Stash."

Dialga glared at Giratina before shaking his head, sighing.

"Please, just... Keep it pinned for now."

"Thanks bro!" said Giratina, indeed hugging the protesting bear tighter.

Everyone then headed into the city proper, marvelling at the elaborate and sturdy buildings, bustling locals of various walks of life, and the busy shops, stalls, and bazaars, ignoring the more than a few odd glances they got back themselves as they whispered among each other.

"It looks so much like some of the cities in our world just a few hundred years ago..." said Dialga.

"Quite the nostalgia trip, huh?" said Hoopa.

"Still different from back home, though," said Giratina. "No Pokemon, humans dressed funny even for the time period, selling funky things at the shops..."

"Speaking of which, we should stick to the plan trying to talk to anyone for now," said Palkia.

"The "is that foreign" plan?" said Giratina.

"Yep."

"Hopefully we won't have to use it too soon..." said Dialga.

"Yeah, better for now we-" said Palkia.

She stopped froze, and grinned. "Scratch that, it's them!"

Everyone else turned to see Palkia staring enraptured at four people nearby - a white-haired young man in a black-and purple coat, a taller, blue-haired young man dressed in blue armor with a white cape hanging behind him, an even taller, somewhat older man with brown hair and much heavier armor, and a teenage girl with long blonde hair in pigtails complimenting a strange, dress-like outfit, all looking over the items in a shop.

"...Them?" said Dialga.

"The Shepherds! Well, the four major ones. They're the main characters of the game!"

"So they're the dudes we wanna hang with?'

"Exactly!" said Palkia.

"Sweet!" said Hoopa.

He frowned. "Now how exactly do we get chummy with 'em?"

Palkia froze and paled. "I don't know; I didn't think we'd get this far."

Dialga groaned. "Can't we just go up and ask them?"

"I don't think that's how it works... here we're the nobodies and they're the big shots!"

"Then how do you suggest we-"

The quartet then heard a scream.

"Bandits! To the south!"

The group of disguised Legendaries then saw a farmer barge through the streets in panic toward the Shepherds as they quickly turned to address him.

"Bandits? In this time?" said the tall, sturdily-armored man.

"Armed burglars, sir!" Whole bunch of them headed straight for our village!"

The blue-haired man scowled. "We'll deal with them right away."

"If they're just a bunch of theives they should be no problem for us," said his white-haied companion.

"Yeah!" said the girl, pumping her fists. "Especially if they're dumb enough to attack this close to home!"

The four of them and the farmer rushed off, leaving the multiversal visitors staring after.

"Well," said Dialga, "They certainly seem to have the problem under control themselves..."

Palkia hesitated, then grinned. "Actually, I have a plan."

"Ooh, what, sis?" said Giratina.

"We help the Shepherds with their little bandit problem."

"So we're gonna impress 'em to get 'em on our side? I like this plan."

"I'm not so keen," said Dialga, "didn't we agree to keep things nonlethal?"

"That's part of the plan," said Palkia, grinning. "You see..."

The four huddled together amidst the crowd. A bit later, several onlookers stopped and stared when they seemed to vanish.

------------

The village was battened down in their houses, a few farmers armed with crude makeshift weapons outside. Even then, they knew they didn't stand a chance against the rapidly-approaching raiders.

It was then a young, pink-haired woman in some bizarre-looking white-and-pink battle dress wielding a staff with a pearl-like orb at the end stepped out into the streets almost too calmly.

"Easy boys," she said, "me and my friends have this covered. Can I just borrow a horse?"

"M-m'am, you're crazy' there's-"

"Sir, I can save your village just fine either way, but it's better with the horse."

"...There's a draft horse in the stables, but she's used for till-"

He didn't get to finish, as the woman had vanished in a warp in space and emerged atop the draft horse in question just out of range of the bandits. The horse reared in panic before Palkia calmed it with a soothing aura from her Lustrous Orb staff and addressed the bewildered men before her with a smirk.

"Now you all hold still so we can make this easy."

The bandits blinked collectively before one stepped forward to face her with a scowl.

"And what makes you think you're some one-woman army?"

Palkia gave a dismissive wave of her hand and chuckled. "Ooh, you're all so cute trying to be little bandit-wandits out to kidnap the crops and burn the women, but you're still being naughty and need to be punished..."

She pulled out and opened out a dark blue book several of the bandits backed away nervously from.

"...But first you all need a bath."

Blue Unown-like runes spiraled upward from the book as a massive wave emerged in front of Palkia and swept the bandits back. As they gasped and spluttered trying to get to their feet afterwards a chill ran down their spines as a bear roared followed by a man shouting:

"Sneak attack, Wuzzles!"

The bandits screamed as a blonde, red-eyed man emerged from nearby shrubs atop a roaring bear, slicing at each of them with his sword...

...Only for the sword strikes to miss each and every one of them by a hair's length, instead opening dimensional portals that punted them screaming through the Distortion World only to fall through a much larger portal that landed them on the ground almost out of sight of the village.

As they got to their feet, they noticed a man with shaggy blue hair and long fleshy ears fiddling with a diamond-like orb.

"Okay, so I need to change to the right form to use my pow-"

Suddenly he was enveloped in a blue, crystalline cocoon, emerging as an enormous, monstrous blue rabbit with markings and armor plating reminiscent of his dragon form.

"...I'm a bunny?!"

He recovered from his shock just in time to see the bandits fling axes and spears at him. He sighed as his eyes glowed, the weapons stopping in midair and rusting and rotting into dust within seconds.

"...Let's just get this over with."

He rushed up to each bandit and dealt them precision headbutts and kicks, sending them flying and screaming yet again into a dazed pile.

"Now we've thoroughly gotten your attention," said a voice, "let's keep it!"

A youth appeared and threw golden hoops atop the pile of bandits, each squeezing in to bind them in place. Once he was done Hoopa gave the dazed, trapped pile of bandits a wave.

"Thank you for attending this show of "How Not to Plunder a Village!" We hope for your sake it was educational."

Dialga reverted to his more humanlike form as Palkia approached on the draft horse's back and Giratina approached on Wuzzles. A few of the trapped bandits started at Wuzzles sniffing them, at which Giratina shushed him.

"Wuzzles, they are not snacks. I will get you your snacks back in town."

"Speaking of which," said Dialga, "Where are those humans Palkia said were so important anyway?"

"They should be here any minute now..." said Palkia.

Indeed, the other quartet and the farmer soon ran up to the scene only to look at it baffled.

"What in the name of the gods...?" said the blue-haired one.

"...It seems we've been beaten to our objective," said the shorter, white-haired man.

"That was already apparent, but how?" said the third, tallest man.

"Aw, phooey!" said the girl. "I hate missing out!"

~Alright, who does the introductions?~ said Hoopa telepathically.

~I'll start.~ said Palkia.

She turned to the other group.

"Oh, hey! Sorry if we messed anything up taking care of these guys!"

"It's fine!" said the farmer. "You saved our village before the Shepereds even could!"

"We're part of said Sheperds by the way," said the blue-haired man."I'm Chrom, my companions here are Robin..."

He gestures to the white-haired young man in the coat.

~He's one of my favorites!~ said Palkia to everyone in her group.

"Fredrick..."continued Chrom, guesturing to his older, taller companion, "and Lissa," guesturing to the blonde teenager.

"You certainly seem skilled from how easily you seem to have dealt with those bandits!" said Robin, looking at the multiversal group in admiration.

He then furrowed his brow. "What land are you even from, though? You certainly seem like an unusual bunch."

"We're from the esoteric faraway land of Cincinatii," said Dialga dryly.

"It's got some great views and locales and good food!" said Palkia

"The sports teams kind of suck, tho-" said Giratina.

Palkia nudged him with a foot before continuing.

"Anyway," said Palkia, "I'm Valentia, this is Quentin, this is Howard, and this is Bartemaeus," she said, gesturing to each of them in turn.

"Pleasure to meet you all," said Chrom, nodding.

He smiled. "And for being so helpful here... If you need a place to stay from so far off why not with us?"

Frederick raised an eyebrow. "...Mlord, this time you cannot be serious."

"Frederick, you've known Chrom far longer than I have," said Robin. "He's always serious about these things."

~Chrom's the nice one,~ said Palkia telepathically. ~He's our ace in the hole for getting in with these guys without too much trouble!~

"But... We have no records of this Cincinatti place anywhere in Yilisse! They look more like travelling circus performers than anything!"

"Hey!" said Hoopa, gesturing to his outfit. "Don't tell me this isn't stylish."

Robin looked over the pile of bandits. "If they were circus performers or enemies they wouldn't have subdued what appear to be remnants of Gangrel's army so quickly or easily..."

~Gangrel's the guy that started the war right before this peacetime. He's a douche.~, said Palkia.

"Yeah!" said Lissa. "And if they're so tough, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

She scrunched her face up. "Or... The other way around. Kinda. Mabye. You get my point!"

"If we could chill with you guys that'd be pretty cool," said Giratina.

"What Howard said!" said Hoopa.

"I suppose despite my own caution I'll agree," said Dialga.

Fredrick looked between them all and sighed. "Alright... But everyone, keep an eye on these.... Cincinnatians."

Robin gave a small bow to Palkia. "It's a pleasure to have you all with us."

Palkia bowed back. "You as well."

Internally, she gave an excited fangirl squeal. We're partying with the Shepherds! This is gonna be great!

And so things seem to be going smoothly for our team so far. Emphasis on so far. We'll see happens when they meet the rest of the Shepherds next chapter- which, sadly, may take a bit longer than this one to come out for a few things I have to take care of on my end. Don't worry, though- I know full well what comes next, so when the time arrives you readers will too.
    Last edited by Umbramatic; 25th July 2016 at 3:28 AM.

AO3|FFnet|Pokemon Tumblr

"Eh, I've heard worse. There's this city near a salt lake in a universe we stopped by one time, you know what they called it?"

"...What?"

"Salt Lake City."
    I'm dying. Honestly, jokes about my capital city are the best thing. (Take me down to the Salt Lake City where there's salt and lakes and the lakes are salty!)

"We're from the esoteric faraway land of Cincinatii," said Dialga dryly.

"It's got some great views and locales and good food!" said Palkia

"The sports teams kind of suck, tho-" said Giratina.
    Again, I just... I really like your humor, my guy.

Oh man. You've got some really good dialogue and characterizations going on here. I like the concept too, it's interesting and the crossover flows quite smoothly. You've also got some reaally good interaction, the relationships between characters are clear.

Now, ah, one thing you gotta watch out for. You've got a lotta characters here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But you gotta be really clear with your tags and who says what. Not gonna lie, there were a couple times where I got kind of lost, and I didn't know who was talking. Just somethin' to think about I guess.

Overall though, I really like this! I'm excited to see where it goes! *thumbs up emoji*

Tell me that you need me 'cause I love you so much,
    Say you'll never leave me 'cause I need you so much.
    thesketchqueen everywhere else on the internet. don't call me a girl, thanks.
    role player profile . tumblr . claims . art

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchie View Post
    I'm dying. Honestly, jokes about my capital city are the best thing. (Take me down to the Salt Lake City where there's salt and lakes and the lakes are salty!)
    >apologizes to Utah natives in advance about that gag

>guy from Utah is first to respond

>thinks it's hilarious.

...Not sure if flattered.

Again, I just... I really like your humor, my guy.
    OK, definitely flattered here; am really glad the humor in this fic is hitting its mark so far.

(Also as a Cincinnati native I can confirm all of those things are true.)

Oh man. You've got some really good dialogue and characterizations going on here. I like the concept too, it's interesting and the crossover flows quite smoothly. You've also got some reaally good interaction, the relationships between characters are clear.
    Aaah, yeah! The affirmation on all those is pretty great too.

Now, ah, one thing you gotta watch out for. You've got a lotta characters here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But you gotta be really clear with your tags and who says what. Not gonna lie, there were a couple times where I got kind of lost, and I didn't know who was talking. Just somethin' to think about I guess.
    Ah, thank you for pointing that out! Usually I try to stay consistent here, but looking back I may not have done as well as intended, whoops. Will definitely keep n mind for future chapters considering the character count is soon to go up.

Overall though, I really like this! I'm excited to see where it goes! *thumbs up emoji*
    Thank you! I'm working on something else ATM, but hope to have Chapter 3 up soon after!

AO3|FFnet|Pokemon Tumblr

To be honest, I was convinced this fic wasn't going to be my cup of tea.

I was wrong.

First I actually liked the light-hearted contrast between Palkia's eager and upbeated nature compared to Dialga's deadpan and more reserved nature. I'm not exactly well versed when it comes to humor or that kind of stuff. But I actually enjoyed the light nature of this fic so keep it up.

But a few things I'd keep an eye out for is give some 'action' behind the speech. Instead of saying 'said' all the time, try something like exclaimed or snarked so that we can get an idea of 'how' the character said their line.

I'd be more indepth with my review, but I don't have the luxury sadly, still keep it up. Looking forward to some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Level10CatWarrior View Post
    To be honest, I was convinced this fic wasn't going to be my cup of tea.

I was wrong.
    PLOT TWIST!

But yay for defied expectations there!

First I actually liked the light-hearted contrast between Palkia's eager and upbeated nature compared to Dialga's deadpan and more reserved nature. I'm not exactly well versed when it comes to humor or that kind of stuff. But I actually enjoyed the light nature of this fic so keep it up.
    Yeah, the contrast between the personalities of those two characters has always been a fun one to play with, and glad you found it works - they're two of the central characters, after all.

I will warn you this story isn't going to stay purely lighthearted as it goes along, so there will be my abilities with drama to consider if that doesn't turn you off right away. It's still going to maintain a distinct sense of humor throughout, however, if that helps.

But a few things I'd keep an eye out for is give some 'action' behind the speech. Instead of saying 'said' all the time, try something like exclaimed or snarked so that we can get an idea of 'how' the character said their line.
    Eh, that's one thing where I'd rather pass on the suggestion as-is; I find most dialogue tags other than "said" to be horribly redundant and more distracting from the dialogue than enhancing of it. Dialogue should literally speak for itself alongside character action.

That said, if you brought that up because you felt there were places it didn't speak for itself rather than just my continued usage of "said" feel free to point them out.

I'd be more indepth with my review, but I don't have the luxury sadly, still keep it up. Looking forward to some more!
    Haha, that's fine, I don't always post the most substantial reviews or review replies when I'm low on energy (and/or on a mobile device) myself. Thanks for reading and reviewing!
    Last edited by Umbramatic; 26th July 2016 at 6:08 PM.

AO3|FFnet|Pokemon Tumblr