Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 293

Thread: Advice for Aspiring Authors

  1. #51
    SilverBlaze09 Guest

    Wink

    Make sure it's believable, though. I mean, would you look for Seaking in a volcano? Or Rhydon on the seashore? If you do, either you or the pokemon is crazy. Put 'em where you'd look for them in real life. Take Magmar(an easy one). It has pokedex stats that state " ...its bodily colors enable it to blend in with its volcanic habitat" (yes, I know that's not exactly what it says, but the two or three words that are off don't count). You would epect to catch it in a volcano, not the Seafoam Islands beach resort, right? Of course, there are a lot of pokemon, like Pidgey, that, one way or another, can be found virtually anywhere(including Legendaries). And yes, I know there are a lot of others that can be found in multiple areas. All I'm saying is, keep it real. Or you'll end up searching for Goldeen in your bathtub(like my sister). Or on a quest to capture Blastoise, and you're looking for them in the big beach getaway of Verdanturf(like my brother). Or looking for Zubat in Sunnyville(hey, I was intoxicated at the time!). That's all I have to say(for the moment, at least). SB

  2. #52
    pretty pikachu Guest

    Default

    hello. I've read this whole post & its helpfull!

    I am trying to write a fic about human/pokemon hybreds. this is my descreption of my main character, Violet. she's a psychic espeon/human. is this too much describing, not enough, or what?

    oh, by the way, we find out later why her hand hurts...


    She was about 14 years old. She wasn't very tall, but her ears made her seem taller. Sitting atop her head were two long cat ears; about five inches long. They were the same lavender color as her shoulder-length hair. She had a little bit of hair in front of her forehead, partially hiding the bright red ruby between her eyebrows. Her clothes were also purple, like her long cat tail that split in two near the end. She looked at her hand, which had quarter-inch retractable claws on each finger. Her hand- or paw, some might call it- had just been hurting her for no reason. But she knew why; she was psychic.

  3. #53
    Mighty Hyena Guest

    Default

    My 2 cents.

    Here's also a tip, these pokemon are extremely overused: Dratini, Larvitar, Pikachu, the starters, Eevee. Because of the flooding of many fics with those Pokemon repeatedly, it can be overlooked because of a common starter.
    All of the Eeveelutions are overused, particulary Umbreon because it dispenses ready-made angst (oh noz!!! my cute eevee is all ebil!!! rar!, or oh noz!!! i'm ebil now! rar!). Mewtwo is often quite similiar with the angst (oh noz!!! i'm a clone/i hate humans! rar!).

    About Mary-Sues: Pokemon can be Mary-Sues. Canon characters *cough*PIKACHU*cough* can be Mary-Sues. They are everywhere. They are in your stories (especially trainer fics). In your one-shots. In your house. Check for Sueism before you write, not after you're done 12 chapters and your char is already hopeless. Also: poor May and Brendan are mercilessly Sue-ified. If you have to give them a new character, please make them INTERESTING... ;_;

    One of the ways I try to avoid Sueishness and to add interest is to give someone flaws. The Seven Deadly Sins really help if you can't decide on something. In case you don't know, they're Pride, Lust, Anger, Envy, Sloth, Gluttony, and Greed. If you want to add one good feature to your bad guys, the Seven Virtues are Faith, Hope, Charity, Temperance, Fortitude, Justice, and Prudence - remember that your bad guys need good points too. I had an MS that I made into a developed char by using Pride (she's selfish) and Anger (she has a temper) - now she's not only more fun to write, she behaves like a real person.

    Aaaand that's all I have to say. Good luck with all your fics!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    4,762

    Default

    I don't really agree with the above. Flaws are nice, but giving a character flaws for the sake of giving them flaws is very fake. You shouldn't really think of a personality as a set of good things and a set of flaws. A personality is just a personality, and either it's a believable personality or not. Whether it's believable is supposed to be what you're thinking about, not whether you can list (insert number here) flaws in it.

    Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

    Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

    Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canalave City.
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree
    I don't really agree with the above. Flaws are nice, but giving a character flaws for the sake of giving them flaws is very fake. You shouldn't really think of a personality as a set of good things and a set of flaws. A personality is just a personality, and either it's a believable personality or not. Whether it's believable is supposed to be what you're thinking about, not whether you can list (insert number here) flaws in it.
    [Agreeing with Dragonfree]
    Yes, I agree with that. Giving a character a personality with flaws and such can be quite tempting to make them not-believeable. Just Dragonfree said, a personality is just a personality. Flaws can add on to the personality, but just giving them some can be quite unrealistic; some people have more flaws than others, so why try to give the other one with more advantages more flaws? You should worry about making realistic character rather than one with flaws and advantages in your story.

    And this overused Pokemon stuff; I'll be a bit opinionated about this, but I don't think there is such a thing called 'overused and underused' Pokemon. A Fanfiction is a story, not something that has to be so diverse, so different from one another. For example, many people see Pikachu more as a Pokemon Idol or Hero, therefore, using him/her more. However, when they grace the walls, people are saying that they are overused and should have chosen another one. The thing is, Pokemon can be used as many times; the person using them can use them, because it is their story. You just can't classify Pokemon as those two titles, just because some are used more often. For example, if I want to use Pikachu in all of my stories, then I can because it is my story, not anyone elses. And if this part shouldn't be in here, please tell me. ^^ I went rambling a little, because I don't like to hear about overused and underused Pokemon in Fanfictions.
    ~ COMING SOON ~


    Shiftry leapt into the air, shrieking and roaring as she started glowing and absorbing the sun’s light. Leaves shifted and curled at the edges as footsteps sounded on the grass. Her eyes were wide open and crazed, glazed with a white radiance. A slim, dark figure spontaneously crossed overhead, elegant and mysterious as it disappeared within the rose-colored vortex. It all seemed like a medieval fantasy; only reality blended in to make it all seem practical. The new otherworldly essence drifted in, allowing the illumination to bless the woman and reveal herself to the world. Karen had arrived

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Blackthorn City
    Posts
    888

    Default

    If you're writing just to get readers, then I'd say you're writing for the wrong reasons. Write because you want to write and because you enjoy it. It doesn't matter how popular you are; some people get only one or two readers in their first fic, if that, and then manage to find more readers after their second. Don't give up just because you feel like you're not popular - keep trying.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lurking
    Posts
    792

    Default

    I found this posted in a LiveJournal community, and I think that it's the best definition of a Mary-Sue that I've ever come across. Now, I know that that discussion has sorta died down around here (for now *Jaws theme plays*), but I think that it should go in here because, really, it's an excellent definition for something intangible and difficult to describe.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybirdsleeps
    The problem with defining what 'Mary Sue' means is that there are a lot of different ways for a character to be a Mary Sue. Mary-Sueism has more to do with an author's attitude towards her character than some checklist of Mary Sue traits. A Mary Sue is the author's pet, who's doted upon to the detriment of the story and the other characters.

    Mary Sue cannot be upstaged.

    I think that the best definition of Mary Sue - which doesn't work all the time, but works better than any of the others I've heard - is this: A Mary Sue is like a black hole that warps the fabric of the story, pulling everything into her orbit. Everyone either loves her or treats her cruelly, whether or not it's in character for them to even care. She gets away with things no one else would get away with. And so on.

    Or another definition: If you put Mary Sue on one end of a see-saw, and the rest of the story on characters on the other, Mary Sue would be heavier. She's out of balance for her story - she's too much of something. She's too powerful, she's too tragic, she's too brave, she's too smart, she's too loved or too hated ...

    Things that often get an original character labeled as a Mary Sue, like resemblance to an author, a floofy name, or special powers, aren't what makes a Mary Sue. It just happens that a lot of Mary Sue authors use 'special' traits to make their character seem cool, and resemblance to themselves as a way to get a little more vicarious wish-fulfillment.

    If you put a piece of yourself into many characters does that make them all Mary-Sues

    I've never heard this definition, even as fuzzy as the definition of Mary Sue is. Most fiction writers put a little bit of themselves into their characters, but they definitely aren't all Mary Sues.

    is a Mary-Sue someone you base completely off yourself?

    I don't think so. I would call that type of character a self-insert. Self-inserts are USUALLY Mary Sues in my experience, but I have seen them done occasionally without being Mary Sues. It's all a matter of balance.

    Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design



  8. #58
    Aethyrial_Flame Guest

    Smile

    ^_^ Since this is such an intresting and useful topic, I thought that I'd add a few of my own thoughts.

    On the Mary-sue versus self-insertion front, it is IMPOSSIBLE not to, in some way, self-insert. A real, believable character is all the more real if the author has actually been through a similiar experience.

    E.g- a piece written about the death of a family member won't be able to fully encompass the consequences of that, unless the writer themselves has actually experienced it. Or, if your character has been abused (most often seen with bishie's that have a dark past, as their 'other half' needs to understand them) unless you yourself have been abused in a similiar way, you (and thence your readers) will never be able to see the sheer depth and long-reaching consequences that such a past entail.

    So, really, you CANNOT write a character wtihout self-inserting. You draw upon your own personal experiences, beliefs, values, and personality traits to make a character believable. Also, most writers I know base many characters off of friends and family, thus making said characters more 3-D, so to speak, because they are grounded in reality.

    Mary-sues have been discussed to the death, but, for the most point, I agree with Negrek. However, I have something to add ^_^ MS, I think, are also a way of compensation. In several of my fanfics, I write flaws in my characters, but it's hard to do- a lot of the time you simply want to gloss over the nastier aspects of their character.

    I myself hate people who look down upon others, are brash to the point of extreme rudeness, and are carelessly cruel. However, many people have those behavioural traits themselves in minute amounts, including me, so, in a way, my sub-conscious refusal to write them in my characters is a kind of penance for me.

    And next up.... ^_^ Tips for writing!

    I'm not sure if anyone else is like this, but I'm a somewhat noisy person. There's always someone around the house making nosie, or my menagerie is kicking up a fuss, whenever I'm working on something. So complete silence tends to distract me rather than help.

    Music is a good helper, though be careful with it; although it's great for loosening the barriers of your mind and helping you to write more freely, it does have it's side affects. Again, personally, I myself am very influenced buy what I hear, even if I'm not paying any attention to it.

    Music like Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, and Evanessence tend to help me write more angsty, dark themed pieces, where's bands like Seal, Savage Garden, and artists Avirl Lavenge (early albums, Nobody's Home etc) and Michelle Branch put me in a kind of love-worn and seeking-love mood.

    Finishing for that section, Music is great for helping set up a mood for a story and distracting you so that you work better, but just be careful what you listen to, and keep in mind how you want your story to flow.


    Although a lot of people write chapter descriptions and plot things out, I really don't go for that. Usually, I'll get an idea and just go with it; maybe fleshing it out in my daydreams, etc. Slowly, I build what I want up, but after getting more experience, I've come up with a good way of getting things sorted (like a pesty plot!).

    Instead of defining everything in exact detail, I just brainstorm. I scribble something that I want to happen in the future, a side-note about someones character, and introspective analysis of why someone acts the way that they do. That way, I have my ideas there to refrence for later on, but I'm not set in stone about them, which I find very discouraging.

    And my final thing to discuss, the always engaging topic of REVIEWS.

    Despite the fact {Well, *I* consider them good, anyway} my stories are quite well written, and have been for several years, I don't get many reviews. It's rather discouraging to read a fanfic that has only engaging characters and a good plot, but not quite up to standard grammer, that has around 300 views to my piddling four or five.

    After extensive thought and research, I've come to a conclusion.

    Ghost Reviewers.

    I don't review every single story that I read; very few, in fact. Most of the stories that I love I simply read, and wait for an update! What a contradictory hypocrite, hmm? ^_^ Even though I greatly enjoy reading those fanfics, I rarely review them because, quite simply, I'm too damn lazy.

    So, too all those authors out there in the same straits as I- do not despair! It's highly likely that your readers are simply to lazy to review, enough though they admire your work... Actually, come to think of it, that isn't very encouraging =S

    Well, I hope that, in some way, I've helped those who read this, so, I shall leave.

    ^_^ Cya!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Not sure, let me check outside
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Wow, this is all very good here. I've only been able to read the first, second, and last page so far, but it's already helped me in designing a possible story idea.

    Like Aethyrial_Flame, I daydream a lot about possible ideas I could do. Unfortunatly most are great as daydreams, but stink if I attempt to put them down on paper/pixel. With this current idea I watched Ella Enchanted, which is sorta based on the Cinderella storyline. That gave me my current idea for a fic, one based extremely losely on that story.

    I'll see how it goes, but maybe my two cents could be to just let an idea rest for a bit if your stuck, and maybe you'll be struck by an idea to make it work out.
    If that advice stinks I bow to the knowledge of better writers, but it's working for me.
    Favorite pokemon of all time:


    Sixteen Flavors of Pokemon is being written now. Pokemon so far: Kakuna, Murkrow,
    ~Bigbrother

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Interzone
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Here's another tip concerning attacks.

    One thing that's easy to get wrong is to merely describe the attacks like in Colosseum or XD. For example, Swords Dance. It's not going to be an illusion of swords clashing together then disappearing. Another example is Mean Look; it won't be just a big illusion of an eye.

    My second point: when attacks are to be used. Come on, be realistic. Pokemon will not politely take turns in beating the crap out of each other. So in the same dynamic, Pokemon will not start off using defensive moves against each other. As an example, a Gardevoir may start with Light Screen, and a Scyther will follow with a Swords Dance. No. When a Pokemon uses a defensive move, it's either to repel attacks or to neutralise them.

    Which brings me to my third point. If your character's Pokemon does use a defensive move like Light Screen, it will be at the last moment, deflecting the attack. In the episode "Solid As A Solrock", when Ash's Pikachu uses Thunderbolt, Liza's Lunatone casts Light Screen to deflect it. This next example features Swords Dance again. In "Gettin' The Bugs Out", Bugsy has his Scyther use Swords Dance to deflect Flamethrower.

    I'm no't saying you can't use Swords Dance or any other moves forementioned normally, but the above serves as a dual purpose for the moves.
    Your image was too big. Read the rules before you add anything new to your sig.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Now here, Nowhere
    Posts
    333

    Default

    I was just going over my revision notes for my last exam tomorrow when I found something useful: the Gunning Fog index. It basically estimates how complex the words and sentences in your whole story are.

    Step 1: Take 100 words from the story.

    Step 2: Count the average number of words per sentence.

    Step 3: Count the percentage of polysyllables (3 or more syllables), except:
    a) proper nouns (names of people, places, stuff)
    b) combination words (e.g. motorbike, another)

    Step 4: (step 2 + step 3) X 0.4 = GF index

    Score and what it means:

    Below 7: Too simple.
    7 - 13: Acceptable.
    13 - 17; Complex.
    Above 17: Very complex, virtually unreadable.

    Ideal score for easily understandable fics: 10 - 12

    Remember, this is only an estimate, so don't worry too much if the score is slightly off target. Hopefully this will help people design smooth-flowing stories!

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    West coast, USA
    Posts
    634

    Default

    I would do my editing the other way around, I only add and never delete. In my case it is never a matter of too much being written in one place but too little.
    To add to the making pokemon seem real idea I think it is important to remember that pokemon can have character and still act and think alot like normal animals. Too many authors get into the habit of just making pokemon little people, which I've never liked much, unless they are human and pokemon mixes of some sort.
    Being more animal like (like in the game and the manga) does not have to mean your pokemon would have any less character to work with, as anyone who has ever had a pet they loved knows .
    5/9/08: Chapter 6 of Fable is posted !

    Vampiric pokémorphs and the Nurse Joy who must love them.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Pokemon shouldnt just be tools that only become important when captured. Any good writer that a character needs quirks and flaws and optionally a decent backstory so why souldn't pokemon? i was just saying that maybe authors could draw influence from real animals for some pokemon especially pokemon like Flaafy and Marrep who are based on sheep.
    Last edited by Zephyr Flare; 14th July 2006 at 3:44 PM.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,996

    Default

    My three cents would be to add something special about your world in your fic, something not found in the games, anime, or manga.

    For example (STEAL MY IDEA AND DIE!), in my fics, all of the people in Southern Japan (where the Pokemon world is) are half-Pokemon and half-human with the powers of the type they are.

    For example, say, Christy is a fire type. She can use fire moves such as fire punch and blaze kick and so on. Plus, her normal body temperature is ten times greater than a regular human's is.

    Make something origional up.

    But, if I see my idea floating around in a fic somewhere and that fic is not mine, then I'll be mad.


    Very mad....

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Beyond the Blackstump
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Gosh, may as well advertise it. The Pidgeot in my link, Higher Pokemon Guide, is a disorganised list of tutes I composed. So far there are ones dedicated to better detail, a few definitions of Mary Sue and other tips.



    Caboose I swear to god, if you say anything positive I will kill all three of us right now! ~Church, currently Red vs Blue Obsessed!

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386
    My three cents would be to add something special about your world in your fic, something not found in the games, anime, or manga.

    For example (STEAL MY IDEA AND DIE!), in my fics, all of the people in Southern Japan (where the Pokemon world is) are half-Pokemon and half-human with the powers of the type they are.
    Not only do most if not all- well not all-all writers, know to make a fic original. But Chosen, your idea has already been done 4356789845 times by as many or more authors. For animals, pokemon, myths, etc and so forth. Your attempt at originality, is already un original. To make it original you need to make the story itself original, or give it a good twist. :/ like 'Hoodwinked' was for Little Red Riding Hood, or Shrek for all the fairy tales. Things like that.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Here is my two or three cents. You don't have to agree with me. I reccomend just not using legendaries at all. Especially not capturing a legendary. Even if its like "OMG I DID NOT CAPTURE IT T3H LEGENDARY CAME TO ME CUZ I WAS NISE." I think that there should be no reason to really do that because that really takes away from the drama of the story. Another thing is you probably shouldn't rely on legendaries to provide drama, even if they're evil. That has already been done a lot too.
    It's my site, fear it.

    Less than %.001 of all people on Serebii are named AgentChronon. If you are one of that %.001 percent, copy and paste this into your sig (started by AgentChronon)

    Buoysel= awesome. It will always be that way. Forever. If you think you are a bigger Buoysel fan than me, PM me and I will correct you.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bruges Belgium
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386 View Post
    My three cents would be to add something special about your world in your fic, something not found in the games, anime, or manga.

    For example (STEAL MY IDEA AND DIE!), in my fics, all of the people in Southern Japan (where the Pokemon world is) are half-Pokemon and half-human with the powers of the type they are.
    Very mad....
    Did you know that DeviantArt has a special section for it? It is called anthro. Try it: type Anthro Pokemon in search bar.
    So you can't be mad of using such characters.
    Almost forgetting. try pokemorph.com. Many of those anthro's you can find there.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    I'm the original Pucchiemon from Pojo (you spelled it wrong, by the way). And I don't mind you using a refrence from one of my old stories.
    A proud member of:SPPf Christian Alliance

    When I asked Jesus how much he loved me, he said "This much."
    Then he stretched out his arms...and died for me.


    Click so they hatch and grow:

  20. #70

    Default

    Hi im currently writing my fanfic "The Jirachi Hunt" and no it isnt a starts his journey then ends with him as pokemon champion with loads of legendarys. No im trying to write it how pokemon would be like if it were real!
    But anyway what i need is help on how to write battle scenes, below is basically what i wrote last time and it was crap
    [QUOTE] Munchlax lunged foward with his fist outward, it striked Zubat in it's head and the injured pokemon shook and feel to the floor. Gastly then turned towards Bedlum, it's fangs exposed it flew forwards and bit it. [QUOTE]
    And thats the improved version!!!!!! I know i desperatly need help, its hard to write battles!
    HELP ME!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Thank you I have read and i will do. Sorry about the 1st chapter of my story.i am ten in real life and i hate to do all the grammer stuff. I will now do what the rules are.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Now here, Nowhere
    Posts
    333

    Default

    rybo5000, take a look at "A Series of Pokemon Battles!" By Iceking and Tale. That should help you alot!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In your computer's hardrive.
    Posts
    174

    Default

    I'd like to throw a few pennies into this intellectual piggy bank, if you don't mind. Nothing pleases me more than seeing others asking questions, striving to improve, or just making an honest attempt to take criticism as it comes (although many writers abhor the latter).

    Firstly, re-read, re-read, re-read! I can't tell you how many times I've thought I was done with a scene or chapter afters days upon days of typing and hand cramps associated with it and BAM--a typo or grammatical error catches my eye. It is for this reason that all aspiring fanfiction writers (and veterans alike) have beta readers.

    Generally, a beta reader is a trusted friend or fanfiction enthusiast who works alongside the writer in the eve of the writing process. A beta reader can help with almost any aspect of fanfiction, I for one have learned how essential they are to the success of a story the hard way.

    My beta readers are not only my friends, but they are also the ones who put a "perverbial leash on my ego," so to speak. Simply, while my elders tend to praise my work with nothing more than a second glance, my betas are eager to tell me everything little detail that bothered them. Often times they object to my constant habit of over-complicating the simple and offer plausible alternatives. But we have a mutual relationship of sorts; I am more than willing to offer my services as an editor to the fray.

    If and when you do manage to secure a beta reader, remember the golden rule: You do not have to take everything they suggest into consideration. The converse is also true--if you insist on ignoring every single word of constructive nay-say, your beta readers will most likely opt out on the argument that you're too immature to want to improve. I know that I would much rather spend my time doing other, more productive things if I was in such a situation.

    That aside, I notice that one class of Pokemon fanfiction has yet to be addressed in this thread: Crossovers.

    In the fanfiction community as a whole, crossovers have a dubious reputation as being the anti-thesis of canon virtue and sterility. Contrary to popular belief, crossovers are necessary and can be very enjoyable if precautions are taken and the story itself is well-written. For example, Kingdom Hearts is in many ways an assortment of individual crossovers combined into a unique, unprecedented and surprisingly thrilling whole. Crossovers can add a new dimension to what was old about Pokemon (or any canon for that matter) and make it new once again.

    The following guidelines can be applied to any series, not just Pokemon (I will give examples from a collaborative-crossover AU Naruto-Bleach fanfiction project one of my betas and I are working on. My examples will involve Naruto and Bleach characters for this reason):

    1. Clichés are the enemy. This is one of the reasons crossovers aren't liked. Don't just make characters interact in order to appease your curiosity.

    Seriously, come up with a storyline besides, "ZOMG NARTUO FEL IN SUM DIMENSHONAL WURMHOLE & HELPZ ICHIGO FIGHT TEH HOLLOWZ!!1!11" or vice-versa because if you favor this archetype, any attempt at writing will be seen as futile. Fundamentally, a shallow plotline is a bad plotline.

    Take the collab I'm working on, for example. My friend and I separated five characters (Naruto, Kiba, Ichigo, Renji and Shuuhei; if you were wondering) from the rest of the joint-cast and focused on their issues as teenagers in Tokyo (ah, the advantages and prospects of the AU genre). Not to say that their friends don't have their own issues, or that their teachers are saints among sinners, but it's more inconvenient to approach a story in an all-encompassing manner; that would make things too complicated. Which brings me to my next point---

    2. An overly-broad scope is unyieldy and pointless. Don't shift your focus from character to character constantly, it's a hassle to reorient oneself on a scene-by-scene basis. And please--select one setting for the fic and stick to it! (Unless the canon in question is something like Kingdom Hearts or Resevoir Chronicle Tsubasa.) That doesn't mean you should narrow the focus to twenty-plus individual musings and pointless soliloquys of two characters throughout the entire story, but don't go so far as to write a chapter single-handedly narrating fifty-someodd characters' thought processes and get nowhere in doing so.

    3. If you are one for the "suggestive genre", don't be afraid to experiment. A word of caution: There is such a thing as too much of a good thing; crack!pairings and crack!ships have a tendency to generate an ungodly number of flames on some sites.

    4. Avoid using more than two series at a time when possible. This is a rule of thumb; a jumble of multiple series involving hundreds of characters has a habit of confusing a majority of your audience unless you write with the skill and poise of an Oxford graduate. (Again, Kingdom Hearts and Resevoir Chronicle Tsubasa are exceptions.)

    5. Don't keep affiliation uniform. If the characters are supposed to work together, don't make things harder then they have to be. They shouldn't agree on everything, but they also shouldn't be excessively distrusting of foreigners because "S/he's different than me". (Outside of reason, in regard to the occasional friction between two or more characters, of course.)

    Also, do not presume that villains will instantly become friends and form "an alliance made in hell" in an effort to destroy the heroes once and for all. Each antagonist has their own personal interests in mind and would typically be unable to reach a compromise with someone as like-minded as themselves goal-wise. (This is not always the case. Usuallly, if some sort of alliance is made, one person or side is often "pulling the strings" and doing a bulk of the decision-making in comparison to the other.)

    Remember, not all things are black and white; a good guy from one series can be manipulated by the villain of another under false pretense, etcetera.

    I guess that's all I have to say at the moment. Feel free to add to this or comment as seen fit. =3

  24. #74

    Default

    hi i said above that i needed help writing battles because until i learn how to my fanfic is blank!!!! lol
    And that series of pokemon battles was no help as it was all humour and no battle!
    I really need advice on how to write good battles! Please PM if you have a fanfic with an efffective battle scene or anything!
    HELP!
    Thanks bye

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    West coast, USA
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rybo5000 View Post
    hi i said above that i needed help writing battles because until i learn how to my fanfic is blank!!!! lol
    And that series of pokemon battles was no help as it was all humour and no battle!
    I really need advice on how to write good battles! Please PM if you have a fanfic with an efffective battle scene or anything!
    HELP!
    Thanks bye
    Try watching fighting action movies, or even better, play one of the pokemon games and then do some writing exercises where you flesh out how the battle happened by picturing it as if it really happened AKA why would such and such attack miss? If than attack they used had no effect how would the pokemon react? Does a basic attack like Tackle vary in style when different pokemon use it?
    Watching the anime can also give you ideas
    5/9/08: Chapter 6 of Fable is posted !

    Vampiric pokémorphs and the Nurse Joy who must love them.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •