Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Advice for Aspiring Authors

Er, so, um, this is a bit of an unusual contribution to this thread I think, since it covers a more specific topic commonly botched by newbie writers: Suicidal characters. Naturally this is going under a spoilercut due to sensitive content.

Spoiler:- Suicide Talk:

And that's all. Hopefully that was helpful, if decidedly heavy.
    Last edited by Umbramatic; 26th July 2016 at 5:48 PM.

We're Legendaries. It's just a vacation to another world. What could possibly go wrong?
    (Chapter 3 in progress! Lovely banner by American--Pi.)
    More stories of the Yangverse|Vote for the next Yangverse Michronicle!

Check out a special edition of Serebii's annual oneshot contest for Pokemon's 20th anniversary! Lovely userbar also by American--Pi.

FFNet|AO3|Tumblr Index

First piece of advice: Keep in mind that some clichés are clichés because everyone uses them for no apparent reason, and some clichés are clichés because they are the Phillips screwdriver in the toolbox of writing. For instance, most of the stories you'll find involve an evil force rising first, and then a hero setting out to defeat it. You won't often read a story where a hero sets off to find an evil force to defeat. There are a few notable examples of the latter, such as Don Quixote, but that kind of story requires a certain type of main character. My point is, don't be afraid to do something that's been done a lot before.

Second piece of advice: Keep in mind that rules are made for breaking. Obviously I'm not talking about grammatical rules; I speak here of the writing guidelines that everyone takes for granted. Telling the story from the main character's POV. Making sure people get character development before someone kills them. Even telling your story from the beginning and going forward in time rather than starting from the end and going backward. Even having a heroic character at all. These are the kind of "screwdriver clichés" that I told you above not to be scared of. So what's my point in contradicting myself? Well, I'm not. I'm just telling you that, while you shouldn't fear the screwdriver, you also shouldn't be afraid of throwing the whole toolbox out the window and trying to build that bookshelf out of origami hats stuck together with toothpaste. It's definitely harder to pull off, but if you can manage it, that's awesome.

Third piece of advice: Do not hastily rewrite your story from first-person to third-person. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.
    We're just Super Sonic Racing, running to the point of no return

Current Shiny Hunt: ??? (Kalos Route 2, Y, RE)
    GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213