Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for Aspiring Authors

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get people to comment on my fic?
    Name: ASH
    PEARL FRIEND CODE: 4811 3806 8597

I am one of the 3 leaders of the Riolu For Ash Club alongside Dax, and Shadowdragon16. PM or e-mail me to join!

Ask for them nicely?

If someone WANTS to comment, then they will. If nobody comments, either wait longer or just live with it. You already got a good few responses, more than some people ever get.

If you really want more reviews, go to the Fanfiction Reviewer Thread and PM a reviewer there who is open to taking requests.

~Psychic

I agree, one or two faithfull readers is all you can really hope for . The reveiwers topic is also good but don't think that just becuase they reveiwed one chapter they will stay for all the rest of them :\
    5/9/08: Chapter 6 of Fable is posted !

Vampiric pokémorphs and the Nurse Joy who must love them.

8, Killing off all the characters - this could be seen as a cop-out designed to avoid the hassle of writing a sequel. If you must kill characters off, make sure the deaths advance the plot in some way. But don't kill characters just because you've come to dislike them; think of some other way to write them out of the story if you really want to get rid of them.

This one made me laugh a bit actually - Hamlet anyone? (and for the record: yes, I have read it; yes, I loved it.)

This is all great stuff, especially for those who have yet to try their wings at writing if you know what I mean. Some of the stuff is very, very obvious things (such as "newbie trainers will not have a legendary pokémon), but if you guys thinks it needs to be pointed out, that's all right I guess.

Here are some of my own tips. I beg your pardon if similar tips have been posted before, I didn't see any of this in the original post and I don't have the time right now to go through six pages of replies. Anyway:

* One thing I'd like to warn people of is a pitfall I've fallen into myself, and I've seen a lot of others do the same thing - not only fanfiction writers, but also published authors: getting too descriptive. It's easy to just keep writing, even if you don't know how to continue the plot, but don't do a Stephen King (as in: start to describe a small, most likely irrelevant detal for several pages), especially not if you're writing something like a pokémon fanfiction. Some people like this kind of storytelling, but most likely a reader will find it confusing and boring. In short: description is fine, but keep it relevant.

* If you get stuck, don't kick yourself too hard. We all get stuck now and then, and it's only sensible, especially if you've been wrtining several pages over the last couple of days. I like to take a walk, to sort some things out in my head, or just step away from the computer and do something else for a while.

* More often than not, my ideas comes to me at bad times. When I'm at schoor or at work, sitting in the car and so on - anywhere I usually don't have access to my laptop, simply. Also, by the time I get home and can sit down and write, the idea will be gone. If this keeps happening to you, just scribble down a couple of words from your idea, either on a scrap of paper or on your mobile phone, just enough so you can bring back the memory as soon as you get home to your computer. This will only take a minute, and save you a lot of frustration, plus it could also salvage a really cool idea for your story.

That's all I had for now, keep up the good work guys!
    [img]http://i39.*******.com/1zp7dwg.png[/img]

After starting theatre college courses this semester, I have begun to relook many things about writing over these past few months. Namely I'm thinking about PURPOSE! Purpose is a lesson that the stroy tries to teach, or it's the values the characters represent. That is why we write and take pride in our work: it represents many of our values and want to share them with the world. Characters who are 'just there' really tend to irk me. As an actor, I had such a role to play, and I just said 'Gee, this character sucks. He really has no goals, he has some blandly funny comic relief value and he hugs a prostitute. No wonder this guy's work is only "experimental" in nature.'

So basically, saying "A transvestite would be really fun to write, even if she serves no purpose. I'll make her a main character too." That's great, but what does this character represent? What meaning or challenges must this character overcome with its mixed and confused genderal existanc?

On the flipside, the plot overall needs a purpose, and almost 57% of the going ons you write about should bring about pathway to the plot. If not, then the 37% is subplot. Barring that the remaining 6% is perhaps moments of pointless humor and maybe a life lesson here or there.

Of course, the lessons or thoughts your story provides should be genuine. If it's "With teh lurve of my pogeymans with the pokey and the man, we will triumph," then why do you believe that? Everything needs a reason. A mere intention is not enough for as I've been told "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I unfortunately do not remember the source it comes from.

As an actor in training, I find that acting your work out can really help you figure out what to do or the path to follow.

I wonder how many authors would be stumped if I asked them: What is the plot objective you are trying to portray to your audience?

Now mark, a good show is still a good show if it's entertaining, but those that strike home with a deep message are the stories and plays that are remembered forever... well those and plays that revolutionize new styles such as Shakespeare.

Also, literary representation can be EXTREMELY powerful. A fire can represent passion, and thunder can represent power, and maybe eleven billion droplets of blood can represent the souls of humans who once lived and the purpose they may have lived for. These words on their own can be very provocative of powerful emotions. Try some day to take advantage of them to nail a point deep into a reader's soul; suddenly you're on the path to shaping the world.

The trick is to draw them into the story before you compound the powerful dialogue! That's one of my problems and I won't deny it, I begin with powerful words and I may not ease up.

All in all, think with objective I suppose. Having a purpose can greatly increase your DESIRE to write on top of showing the world the true you.

We all get caught up in grammar that we forget that every person has a story to tell, or maybe they want to say something yet don't know how to do so in an original manner.

Now to veer towards characters a bit, here's a saying I made up: "Writing characters is great because you get to show everyone a slight bit of you in each and every one of them. It's up to them to find which aspects hide in each." In other words, if you know yourself, write a bit of your soul into each character's personality. Don't have everyone be the same, but it's your story, make your mark as yourself inside the story, not by pissing ontop of it if that makes sense. Though I guess not every character has to be you. Maybe they're based on a parent, or a friend, or someone you know. Great! Mix them about, take your sarcastic nature and mix it with your friend's love for basketball, and you'll have a true ball-busting hybrid!

Don't be afraid to experiment. Go over the top if you have to, that's how I'm told to audition. It's now going to be how i write as well.

Currently on Hiatus

Very gracious thanks to Tezza for the Banner.

The Generic Story You All Probably Know… and Hate

It's 97% pure Parody, the other 3% is mockery!

Kertonmel: Sinsufficient Glory

A grand adventure, spoken in 2MB Colored glory!

I need some advice on my new fic. I am just finishing up my first one and the reviewers i have had mentioned that the plot went by too fast and things happened too quickly. The overall story was about 50,000 words. The main problem was that in each chapter a major event happened. I need some way to make the plot reach on longer, something to fill in some chapters, like a detour from the main events of the plot of some sort.

My next fic is a story about Oak and Agatha when they were kids. They travel through Kanto together and they realise that strange things are happening around them so they try and figure out what's going on and they nd up battling against an evil organisation.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips about how i can extend the plot of this fic. It is similar to a journey fic when a trainer gets a Pokemon and goes on a journey. Does anyone have any ideas for extending the plot because i would like to make this fic longer
    Last edited by palkia1; 5th December 2007 at 1:32 PM.

Click here to visit my fan fic, Winds of the Past

Credit to Dragodynamite for the Userbar

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hyena View Post
    One of the ways I try to avoid Sueishness and to add interest is to give someone flaws. The Seven Deadly Sins really help if you can't decide on something. In case you don't know, they're Pride, Lust, Anger, Envy, Sloth, Gluttony, and Greed. If you want to add one good feature to your bad guys, the Seven Virtues are Faith, Hope, Charity, Temperance, Fortitude, Justice, and Prudence - remember that your bad guys need good points too. I had an MS that I made into a developed char by using Pride (she's selfish) and Anger (she has a temper) - now she's not only more fun to write, she behaves like a real person.

Aaaand that's all I have to say. Good luck with all your fics!
    YES! I am more or less obsessed with the 7 deadly sins and (not so much) the 7 holy virtues. In fact I have made a pokemon team based on the sins and one of my charectors in the fan fic I am writing is completely based on the 7 sins.

Now my questions. What if you have no beta reader? And how do you accurately describe battles and scenes of destruction without going overboard or making it boring?
    Pokemon Black team:

Quote Originally Posted by Cenzo View Post
    Can anyone give me some advice on how to get people to comment on my fic?
    critique somebody elses piece and leave a link to yours at the end asking them nicely for a return.

don't just leave a 'dis r kl nao krit myn pl0x', critique somebody's piece in the way that you would want yours to be critiqued.
    point
    counterpoint

I want to write fan fic so much. I love writing, but I dont think I can. Any Help? My main problem is organizing it into paragraphs
    Gyarados + Electivire = Gyaravire.

Celebi + Heatran = Celetran.

Celebi + Octillery = Celery?

Whenever there is a break as things swich subjects, there should be a new paragraph. Whenever someone begins to talk, there should be a new paragraph. And lastly if your instinct tells you there should be a new paragraph, there should be a new paragraph.

Does that help?
    Dusk: 3780 6424 3057 (Pearl)
    I have an ALAMOS Darkrai! It is not up for trade, though.
    I am looking for UT Event Pikachus. I will trade UT WSHMKR Jirachis.

Wow, this has made em realize how much I already knew. Coming into writing I thought I was such a noob, not the other way around. Don't take this the wrong way, I still don't think I'm great. but when I go back and read I realize how much I did correctly. I still found lots of new advice from people and I thank you. The main tip was to keep writing even in the absence of reviewers. That's tough. I've only had one or two comments so far but I will keep writing. THANK YOU!
    These are my favorite Pokemon:

It's a bit like artwork where admittedly it's more obvious, you'll keep improving throughout your writting lifetime whether you realise it or not then cringe at your older stuff Sometimes ya just need a nudge in the right direction.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Default I need help!

Hello, I'm Me_Love_Eevee! I recently joined the Serebii Forums and I not long ago posted my own Fan Fiction called "My Pokemon World". Someone who commented on my story/script said that I needed to read this thread. If it wouldn't be so much trouble, could you check my story/script and tell me where I have gone wrong and what I could do to improve it. If you want to check my story/script out, go on to my profile and on my about me and my thread will be in my signature. Thank you so much for reading this message, I hope you can help me.
    Eevee >>> Your fav pokemon

Default I need help!

Hello, I'm Me_Love_Eevee! I recently joined the Serebii Forums and I not long ago posted my own Fan Fiction called "My Pokemon World". Someone who commented on my story/script said that I needed to read this thread. If it wouldn't be so much trouble, could you check my story/script and tell me where I have gone wrong and what I could do to improve it. If you want to check my story/script out, go on to my profile and on my about me and my thread will be in my signature. Thank you so much for reading this message, I hope you can help me.
    Eevee >>> Your fav pokemon

Please look in the Author's Cafe area where there's a thred for locating reviewers you can PM a request to, this thread is entirely for the giving of general writting advice rather than a specific fanfiction.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

I was wondering about something. I've been writing a chaptered fic, but so far I'm on the prologue. The material I'm writing for the prologue fits the definition of a prologue well, except that it happens to be long. Really long. Like, at least 15 pages, probably more.

So my question is, would having an extremely long prologue like that make it not a prologue, or is it totally up to me whether it can be called one or not? It would be a shame if I had to just include it in the story as the first chapter, because I want it to sort of stand alone as 'pre'-events, years before the actual story starts. I was thinking maybe I could split it up into different sections, like "Part I" and "Part II", etc., but I dunno. I just want to make sure this is the best way to go about it (or at least a possible way to go about it).

Prologues are defined by what's in them, not by their length. Most people don't have long prologues, but it's still perfectly okay; so long as it's taking place before the story really begins, it still counts as a prologue.

~Psychic

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Prologues are defined by what's in them, not by their length. Most people don't have long prologues, but it's still perfectly okay; so long as it's taking place before the story really begins, it still counts as a prologue.
    Okay, cool. That's what I thought, but I'm glad I asked to make sure. Thanks a lot.

Okay, a bit late to this thread, but as an on/off writer, thought I'd share some of my advice.

- Don't get discouraged if writers' block strikes. If you feel like you can't write any more words, step away from the piece a while and come back later. You may have some new ideas or a new way to look at it. Don't force it, though, or dwell on not being able to write. Neither will work.

- Mary Sue litmus tests, the survey-style kind where it tallies your results at the end, tend to be full of it. They don't account for context or a writer's skills and instead depend on "character does x, x, and x, and is x, and therefore they are a Mary-Sue" A good writer can create a character with all the stereotypical Mary Sue traits but have them be very well written and believable. Just trust your own instincts when writing a character.

- Don't be afraid to get inspiration from other works. Big authors do it all the time and it's all a matter of how you write the story and make it your own. I have an original character inspired by the Hogwarts ghosts from Harry Potter (with a story and personality as colorful as theirs), except they're a... Team Rocket headquarters ghost. However, by putting my own spin on the idea of quirky ghosts, she's entirely my own.

- Don't be afraid to find your own style. Everyone has their own voice and it makes reading fanfiction that much better.

- Above all, never get discouraged. Writing should be fun and if you let it become nothing more than a quest for more readers and reviews, it's lost a little of its soul then. Write for yourself, then the reader. Readers can tell when the writer is enjoying his or herself, and when you enjoy what you write, it will be so much the better.

"Poe was the first writer to write about main characters who were bad guys or who were mad guys, and those are some of my favorite stories."
    -Stephen King

I write odd slice of life stories about Team Rocket. If that's your thing, give them a look:

Alpha Male- behind every friendship is a story. Perspective contest fourth place winner.
    Secretary- A short and cynical tale of paperwork and sadism
    Survival- A novella about the unbreakable bonds between one man and his feline friend. 2011 Pokemon Big Bang story.

Hi, I just have one real question. What is a good way to start a story? That is by far my weakest point.
    Diamond FC: 3007-8538-5808
    Pearl FC: ---- ---- ----
    Brawl FC: 2015-8402-9720
    Click here to feed me a Rare Candy! Get your own at Pokeplushies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptozoologist View Post
    Maybe Bidoof's penis is too little.

plan every little detail first. writing the actual thing should take no time whatsoever. don't think of some teeny idea and start writing building up on it. come up with a teeny idea and develop it with little cute diagrams with extending arms linking to expansions. focus on the characters and how they develop throughout the story, focus on the themes, focus on the actual plot and how it's going to continue.
    don't dive straight into writing something because you'll make the mistake that stephanie meyer did. thing is, people are too ridiculously stupid to realise how mediocre she is because society is horrid.
    point
    counterpoint

I already have that stuff. I meant the actuall writing, I just never know how to start it.

It's the start with art really, you have this blank canvas infront of you but what line should go first? Often the best idea is to just smack some lines down, make a complete mess and tidy as you go along and just run with it You could always start with an event such as the age old cliche of Journey fics, getting the first mon, some open with what the main character is up to or in RT's case a Grumpig died...

It isn't easy but you can also just write and edit back into a format you like more.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

So make it up as I go. Got it lol.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast