Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Copies Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I have nothing against Digimon, I don't think either of them copied each other. I actually prefer the Digimon anime over Pokemon, but the Pokemon games are much better.
    I'm in the same boat.

Yes, there are similarties between Pokemon and Digimon. But that doesn't mean that one copied off another. Just because you don't like Digimon doesn't give you the right to bash it in anyway. If anything, it just shows you can't accept that everyone has different interests.

Credit for the image goes to NickelBuckle9, a Gaia Online user

The team pictured above is my in-game team for SoulSilver. =)

There was also Flymon, who is remarkably similar to Flygon (looks, name, moves, etc.)

Not at all. 0.o

Only the names are simmilar.

Digimon came first. Not as an anime or a video game, but as a thing similar to Tamagotchi's. No. They did not steal from Pokemon. No Agumon is not a Charmander rip off (He's a tiny dinosaur. Charmander is a Salamander!), no Garurumon is not a rip off of Arcanine either. They're both based on... GASP! REAL ANIMALS. You could say in a way that BOTH Pokemon and Digimon stole from nature.

Personally, I like both! Digimon are better on one level because the monsters talk, and because their cartoons/movies have far better plots (that's my opinion though). Pokemon is better on another level because their games are more fun.

I really love Digimon Anime, the dub actually had a good cast.

Um... no.

In case you haven't noticed, Pokémon and Digimon take generic animals or universal folklore to come up with various creatures based off them. Since legends and animals aren't copyright-protected, they can use whatever they might well please.

Those so-called similarities are result of both franchises using the same base concept. But NOT the result of one copying another! It's pathetic how several people *still* believe in plagiarism between those franchises, which, while sharing a similar base concept, are still awfully different between each other! *Sigh* -____-

That's why Kyubimon and Ninetales look similar (Both based after the Kitsune. A magical fox-like creature with 9 tails.). That's why Shakkoumon and Claydol look similar (Both based after an ancient artifact thought to be magical.). And that applies to EVERY other "rip-off".

And anyone with good insight can see that Digimon and Pokémon look fairly different from each other, and are also concepts with a different focus, and just a similar base idea. But their ties go as far as "various creatures that interact with humans". Not beyond.

Whill this ever stop? Sheesh...

Paired with the adorable Avegaille ~ <3

Meh, I like the Pokemon anime better. And I've never played the Digimon games. I don't really care that much about Digimon. They all look so ugly...don't get me wrong, the art work is good, I just don't like it.

Yeah, Digimon seems to have a more fierce approach, with more shading, muscles, and detail.

Ever since I've heard of Poke'mon, I've heard of this argument about it...really, I don't care, 'cause I know nothing about Digimon pretty much...I do know though, that they can like freely "evolve"-and not permanately, and then go back to their original form after done battling or whatever. I've only seen like 2 episodes...

Point:Yeah...they're both quite the same, but they're both pretty good, aren't they? Raising funny little creatures is popular today, so live with it!

===
    If you copy and paste this into your signature, you will have copied and pasted it into your signature.

Nobody copied anybody, at the worst they draw inspiration from each other. Who knows? Maybe that`s exactly what`s happening. One side`ll see one of the other`s creations, and think 'That`s it! That`s what _______ looks like!'. I know I do that all the time. I`ll have a creature but not know what it looks like until I see something similar, then it clicks. And we know for sure they both drew from life and legends.

So why bother bashing over it? If anything we should be praising that there are people out there that can come up with such wonderful creatures.
    I still love you, I will till I die
    And love is much stronger then anger or pride
    Please baby, let's unburn all our bridges

*headdesks multiple times* -_-;

Meh, what everyone else says. I love Digimon. I love Pokemon too. They're two very different series with two very different plots. Please actually watch the series before you pass judgement. :<

Quote Originally Posted by wad11656 View Post
    Ever since I've heard of Poke'mon, I've heard of this argument about it...really, I don't care, 'cause I know nothing about Digimon pretty much...I do know though, that they can like freely "evolve"-and not permanately, and then go back to their original form after done battling or whatever. I've only seen like 2 episodes...

Point:Yeah...they're both quite the same, but they're both pretty good, aren't they? Raising funny little creatures is popular today, so live with it!

They CAN permanetly stay in their new forms but the main character digimon evolve using the digivice so they don't evolve naturally. It takes a long, long, long time for them to evolve normal, things like care mistakes, win% ratio(when they battle), and the time of day can affect when they evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
    I don't think it really matters. In the end, they both copied Medabots anyway. And Medabots copied Transformers. And Transformers copied Henry Ford.

Henry Ford for the win! Forget pokemon, people; we have the Model T!

Okay, my two cents here would have to be this; Art in itself is nothing but visual exposure of pre-existing ideas. Everything has been done before, oneway or another. You know what? I think Nintales was copied off of a Asian folk-tale! And, hey, Charmander should give credit to The Lizard Foundation of the World! Drastic examples that those are, but that is esentally what Misty & co. are accusing Digimon of.
    *Edit* Put simpily, this thread is rather silly. Everyone copied everyone else.
    ~
    On this quest for answers, shaped my eyes
    Without anger, wasted line
    Cant you sense this feeling, feel it flow
    I'm stronger now, let the tension go

Yes they do copy pokemon, and they end in mon and Agumon kind of copies Charmander!
    -Lord Forty Two

Forget the argument,
    What gets me steaming is when people only give credit to the anime of each respective franchise.

Pokemon is a monster collecting/training/battling RPG series with a anime, manga, card game, and other video games based of it.

Digimon is a series of V-pets where you raise digital monsters with a manga,
    ainme, card game and video game series based off it.

edit:
    By the way, the original Digital monster V1 and Pokemon Red and Green came out around the same time.
    not sure when the pokemon anime first aired or when the first manga chapter was released.

But the Manga "Digimon Adventure V-tamer" was first released in 1998 and the anime "Digimon Adventure" first aired in 1999
    with a prequel movie released a little before that.
    Last edited by Omnirobu; 27th February 2007 at 12:49 AM.

Ok, this is how I think it went.
    Monster Rancher came out
    Digimon Came out
    Pokemon came out

I do see some startling similarities between all of them. Like when Kids WB did their special on how the main character on Monster Rancher (the series) looked a ton like Ash. The Pokeball vs Monster Disk thing, Pikachu vs Mochii (or any cute creature companion). They all have similarities because they all have the same basic idea. Collect creatures, raise and train them, fight and become the best.

Pokemon and Digimon are very alike though. Pocket Monsters vs Digital Monsters (duh). One major difference is the fact that Digimon Tamers (in the show at least) use one monster (and it's DIGIvolved/evolved forms) rather than Pokemon Trainers use multiple monsters and the ones they have cannot turn back into it's pre-evolved forms. Shame too, I'd like my Eevee to turn into whatever I need at the moment, and I'd like my *insert ultimate evolved form here (havnt played in forever so I forgot my fav's mane)* to stay in it's uber strong kick butt form! In Digimon World (the first one) no more than three days after getting my Megaseadramon it died. (Seadramon vs Seadra) I was very sad... BUT later on that day I evolved my Eevee into a Vaporion to help with Blane in FireRed, only later to find out Flarion would have been better for later on. How odd...

Digimon's storyline has been destroyed after the first season while Pokemon's still stands strong. That's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaho0 View Post
    Actualy digimon came first, by like a decade. As little digital pets called digimon which predates the anime by 5 years both in americia and Japan. It's just pokemon is better known.
    No. Pokemon 1995
    Digimon 1999.

Anyways it was obvious, but meh, i kinda like Digimon. But i hate the fact that every name ends on "mon".

Control, Alt, Delete... Reset my memory...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDjango View Post
    No. Pokemon 1995
    Digimon 1999.

Anyways it was obvious, but meh, i kinda like Digimon. But i hate the fact that every name ends on "mon".
    I believe he is referenceing the tamigachi-esque electronic monster devies released a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post

Digimon's storyline has been destroyed after the first season while Pokemon's still stands strong. That's for sure.
    You can't destroy something that doesn't exist.

And digimon doesn't have one story line because each series is in a different universe.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDjango View Post
    No. Pokemon 1995
    Digimon 1999.

You are right in saying they are wrong but, you are still wrong

as I said before both the Digital Monsters V1 and Pocket Monsters Red & green came out around the same time between 94-96.
    Last edited by Omnirobu; 27th February 2007 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyLover View Post
    Dont you just hate those little ****ing *****es *** holes who copy POkemon, I mean go piss off you little **** head!

I mean, they copy the trainers, the creatures, everything basically, except that Digimon can talk, which is pretty dim sighted if you ask me.
    So, what do you think of Digimon>
    Digimon and Pokemon came to the market at about the same time, anime came out in japan at about the same time as well. Digimon generally has a better story line, but worse games.

There are so many differences that I dont know why a single mon gets all of you upset.

HISTORY LESSON

Pokemon was originally called "Pocket monsters"

When Pokemon started coming out in America, there was already a name patented called "Monsters in your Pocket"

The little Japanese children, already calling Pocket monsters, Pokemon, had made Nintendo deciede to use that name everywhere else.

And Digimon was more of a copy of the Tamagotchi fad if anything. After all they were little virtual pets, except unlike tamagotchi they battle.

People like you(both on the poke side and digi side) are why fans of both franchises cant get along
    Last edited by "L"; 27th February 2007 at 1:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnirobu View Post
    You can't destroy something that doesn't exist.

You are right in saying they are wrong but, you are still wrong
    as I said before both the Digital Monsters V1 and Pocket Monsters Red & green came out around the same time between 94-96.
    Oh well thanks for correcting

Control, Alt, Delete... Reset my memory...

I used to like Digimon a lot more than Pokemon back then. I now think Pokemon rocks while Digimon eats ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Admin View Post
    I used to like Digimon a lot more than Pokemon back then. I now think Pokemon rocks while Digimon eats ****.
    probably because Digimon is basically dead in america at the moment(never died in japan, just slowed down a little)

But now that the 5th season of the anime(Digimon Savers) is finishing up in Japan, it seems lthere are signs it is coming here soon(Like a certain Jeff Nimoy* asking questions at a certain digimon fan-forum**) It probably means that Bandai of america and whom ever ends of Dubbing it will try to re awaken this fallen beast.

*He co-wrote the american script for the first two seasons of digimon.
    ** With the Will forums, The best English digimon forum out there in my opinion.
    Last edited by Omnirobu; 27th February 2007 at 1:16 AM.

What's funny is that I've seen this same thread, or the opposite of this thread, at many forums.

I actually like Digimon a lot more than Pokemon, but I still like Pokemon. Digimon actually had a good dub, while Pokemon has not.

ZOMG! Another show with '-Mon' in it? It's gotta be a copy of Pokemon! Let's go rant about it!

In truth, I'm pretty sure you'll find that Digimon came out a bit earlier than Pokemon did. Their Tamagotchi-like Handhelds (the V-Pets) were out before the Pokemon Game Boy Games.

I can understand your not liking another Anime or Concept that seems to similar to one that you adore, but that's not a reason to bash that other concept.

I am a wikipedia nerd, and I think what they say is true:

The Digimon franchise has been criticized as being a clone of the more popular Pokémon title, as both properties are aimed at children and feature interaction between humans and imaginary monsters. Although their basic concepts are similar, their respective media thematically bear little in common. For example, Pokémon video games and anime are centered around the idea of friendly competition for Pokémon and Pokémon Trainers. Some Digimon video games also center on sportsmanship, but in the anime Digimon fight to survive or to destroy enemies, counter to Pokémon battles where the killing of Pokémon is prohibited.

I don't see how they are that similar. Yeah, they both are from Japan and they both have MON in their name...big deal. MON is for monsters, and they both deal with monsters. That's not copying.

Also, I am not sure how accurate wikipedia is with dates, but if they are correct then Pokemon came out BEFORE digimon. It says the pokemon games were released in 1995, while digimon was released as a digital pet called "Digital Monster" similar to Tamagotchi in 1997...as for when their concepts were thought of, I have no idea what came first. I would say pokemon, since I do not believe Digimon creators would wait such a long time to release their product.
    Last edited by Dark SpOOn Bender; 27th February 2007 at 2:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucario 1993 View Post
    i agree with you mistylover digimon has lots of ideas copied from pokemon
    the 1st and 2nd genaration's came before digimon and lotss of ideas have been copied for instense
    agumon:a copy of charmander
    that blue wolf thing:arcanine but blue
    that vine thing:a 100% copy of bulbasaure
    that bug thing a copy of beedrill
    greymon,war greymon:charizard
    like what lucarioso said that copieng causes trouble between both pokemon and digimon
    still pokemon is way better then digimon both anime and games
    *smacks forehead*

Let's see...

Agumon: It's a dinosaur O NOEZ!
    Gabumon/Garurumon: He's a wolf because the chara he's partnered with is a "lone wolf" character.
    Palmon: I fail to see this. It's a plant with vines it uses to attack, but that doesn't mean it's a copy.
    Tentomon: Uh...A red bug that uses electrical powers =/= A stinging yellow wasp.
    Greymon line: Dinosaurs? With fire powers? OMFG CHARIZARD COPY!!!1!

Hey, just because Digimon and Pokemon have "MON" at the end doesn't mean a copy.

Digimon = Digital Monster
    Pokemon = Pocket Monster

So says the little Digimon girl.

And I love the Digi anime and hate the games. I hate the Poke anime and love the games though. The Digimon anime has a better plot. It's something with characters you get kinda attached to.
    Last edited by Dark Trainer Ayrille; 27th February 2007 at 3:02 AM.

♥"Oh, darling~ We're just like Romeo and Juliet!"♥

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast