Thread: RPG Café Rules - read me!

Default RPG Café Rules - read me!

RPG Cafe Rules

It has come to a point where the RPG Café has become a mockery of what it was originally created for. Believe it or not, this place wasn’t actually intended to be full of nothing but Discussion threads about every single RPG on the board.
    And all the while the topics in the Café are turning into chat threads, where people post random rubbish intermixed with the occasional question and call it an “RPG Discussion”.
    Enough. That ends now with this re-haul of the rules for the Café.

1. Follow the Main Forum Rules unless they contradict the RPG Forum Rules.

2. Follow the RPG Forum Rules.

3. All Café topics must actually have something to do with RPGing in general. This includes discussing characters, the kinds of plots you like and so on.

4. Respect other member's creativity and ideas. If you have an opinion, then share it constructively. Don’t act as if your opinion is superior or that you know better than everybody else. Flaming other members, or just making random, stupid comments (SPAM) will not be tolerated.

5. Before posting a thread, check to make sure nothing similar exists. Only topics that have not been replied to in over 3 months can be restarted (meaning that you can still post in a topic less than three months old).

Discussion Threads

Up until now, RPG Creators have been allowed to make threads where RPers from their RPGs could discuss and chat. When this sub-forum was first penned, it was intended for people to use it to pass on important information, movement of plot and other details that would only clog up the main RPG thread, not random chatting.

Only RPGs that actually had detail in them were using the Discussion Threads properly - others were just chat threads for the members. Therefore, we now have specific rules for creating Discussion Threads.

1. Discussion Threads require Mod Permission before they can be created.

2. Any threads made without permission from now on will be locked, and the creator will face the possibility of their RPG itself being locked as well.

3. If you want a Discussion Thread for your RPG you must PM a Moderator with a link to your RPG, and provide information to convince them that you are going to be using the thread properly, and because you actually need it. For example, if an RPG would have a lot of OOC posts otherwise, or a lot of information to be givem and needs to be updated.

4. If the information you provide is deemed not good enough, you may be given a second chance or you will simply be denied. Do not start an argument with a Mod over their decision, as it will only earn you infractions quicker.

5. Discussion Threads that are approved, then found to be misused or degenerating into a chat thread, will not only be closed, but plenty of spam infractions will be handed out to all members participating in the thread.

6. When posting an approved thread, put clearly in the first post the name of the Moderator who approved your thread. If you are found to be lying about this, you will receive infraction points.

7. The first post in a Discussion thread should say more than just "post questions here." It is strongly advised that you provide links to the Sign-Up thread as well as to the main RPG thread (asap), a list of members, a set of rules for your RPG and any other pieces of information the RPers should know.

Threads that existed before the creation of these new rules are not forced to change, nor do they still need Mod permission. However Rule 7 exists only to help both the GM and the RPers, and it is highly advised that you follow it for your own benefit.

Other Threads

This is a current list or all useful and important RPG Threads. This is always prone to change, as the RPG Forum is currently going under some changes, and lots of threads are being changed and/or updated. It will also be changed to include any good threads that pop up that are not Discussion Threads. The RPG Cafe is designed for other things, not just discussion threads after all.

Important Threads:

Full Forum Rules

RPG Forum Rules

RPG Forum - Moderator Notes & Announcements

RPG Forum Feedback & Suggestions

RPGer's Profiles

RPG Ideas

RPG Wish List

Creative Threads:

RPGers, share your character bios here!
    started by: Hazey Lucario
    A place to show off and discuss characters you have created, or the types you like to create for RPGs.

Character Thread
    started by: RaZoR LeAf
    Ever created a character just for the sake of it? Post any characters you've made here, even if it's one your making up on the spot.

The Ideal RPG- Is there a formula to it?
    started by: masterwannabe
    Discuss what types of RPGs you enjoy participating in, and what makes an RPG stand so it's a wow-I-need-to-signup-for-that-before-someone-else-does RPG.

Pokémon Characters
    started by: Psychic
    What do you think about those second-to-the-Trainer Pokémon characters? Everyone handles them differently, the methods for doing so can be found here.
    Last edited by Psychic; 22nd September 2008 at 6:24 AM.

Banner Count: 12

whats the point with cafe and other things
    hi i am new here yo!

Well, it serves as a way for members to discuss their RPG's and ideas for future ones, to put it shortly. There are some things members don't fully understand and this helps to answer those queries. As mentioned above, we can also discuss plots and characters. That's the Cafe in a nutshell.
    Your image was too big. Read the rules before you add anything new to your sig.

From this point on I will not approve any Discussion Threads that are posting on my Profile Wall. Ask in PM only.

So, where's the line where the discussion thread goes from being a discussion thread to being a "chat thread"? What are we allowed to talk about in them?
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 17 is up.

When people start replying 2 minutes after each other for several posts which is an obvious indication they are hovering on the page refreshing it all the time. This kind of instant chatting can be done in PM much more effectivly. When people start going off topic, or even when people start talking about things that may be rpg related, but really don't NEED to be discussed like "I'm looking forward to our battle" or "my character will meet you there soon".

People seem to think every RPG needs a discussion thread. They do not. Unless there is a lot of information that comes associated with the RPG it can usually get by on OOC posts. People managed to do it before Discussion Threads were made. I made the first discussion thread for one my RPGs and I know regret it, because this forum is not used for what I had originally intended.

Out of curiousity, why is the way things are now a problem?
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 17 is up.

The RPG Cafe was meant to be a place people could discuss things about RPGing, the same way they do for Fanfics in the Author's Cafe. Instead it's being used as storage space for people to discuss what's going on in their own RPGs and not much else. Occasionally you get a topic that has something worthwhile to talk about, but it gets pushed off the page by another Discussion Thread. It's not a problem per say, but I personally find it annoying that there are only ever discussion threads here, that span into hundreds of posts which are small enough to fit into OOC posts within the RPG itself I've rarely seen a Discussion Thread that's actually fulfilled it's original purpose or providing mass amounts of information.

Can I have permission to open a thread for an off-Serebii RPG here?

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Journal- 29 chapters and counting!
    Most Recent Chapter- Several weeks after they arrive at Star Peak, Chance alerts Team Jump to a Darkrai Shard in the area.

Interested in a blog that reviews the Pokémon products of the past and present? Have a look at http://tompokenutter.wordpress.com/ !
    http://askredemption.tumblr.com/
    Ask the cast of Redemption anything you like!

Depends what sort of thread it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Depends what sort of thread it is.
    It's not a signup thread. It's more of an invitation thread. On Thanksgiving, I'm picking three people to participate in an RPG based on an off-Serebii fanfic of mine.

Most Recent Chapter- Several weeks after they arrive at Star Peak, Chance alerts Team Jump to a Darkrai Shard in the area.

Interested in a blog that reviews the Pokémon products of the past and present? Have a look at http://tompokenutter.wordpress.com/ !

So you want to advertise another site to get people to join? That's breaking the main forum rules never mind the RPG Cafe Rules.

So you want to advertise another site to get people to join? That's breaking the main forum rules never mind the RPG Cafe Rules.
    It is on another site, but it isn't my site. Believe it or not, it isn't even another forum. The RPG is going to make use of either deviantART's chat minisite or Facebook chat.

Quote Originally Posted by pokenutter View Post
    It is on another site, but it isn't my site. Believe it or not, it isn't even another forum. The RPG is going to make use of either deviantART's chat minisite or Facebook chat.
    Let me reiterate:

"So you want to advertise another site to get people to join"
    "It is on another site"
    "That's breaking the main forum rules"
    "12. Don't advertise other sites in posts/threads"

Deviant Art and Facebook are both capable of making groups where you can discuss things.

Let me reiterate:

"So you want to advertise another site to get people to join"
    "It is on another site"
    "That's breaking the main forum rules"
    "12. Don't advertise other sites in posts/threads"

Deviant Art and Facebook are both capable of making groups where you can discuss things.
    I understand. Thank you anyway.

Why does the sign up thread for RPGs have to have 400 words for plot? That's a bit too much if you ask me. And it's kinda unfair to close a thread for not having that much, when the person tried very hard and wrote as much as they could. Like on mine, the plot's 221 words but I can't think of anything else to put no matter how long I sit here and think.

Quote Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
    Why does the sign up thread for RPGs have to have 400 words for plot? That's a bit too much if you ask me. And it's kinda unfair to close a thread for not having that much, when the person tried very hard and wrote as much as they could. Like on mine, the plot's 221 words but I can't think of anything else to put no matter how long I sit here and think.
    What has the rules on Plot length got to do with the rules of the RPG Cafe?

Ideally I'd prefer to discourage the constant need for discussion threads, rather than encourage them with another sub forum.

Here's a question I'm wondering about: Suppose I had started an RPG a while back, and was able to get a discussion thread for it. Then that RPG died. Several months later, I decide to re-start the RPG. Can I use the same discussion thread that the old one had, or would I have to get a whole new discussion thread approved?

I'm just unsure because on one hand, it's basically the same RPG, but on the other hand, there are usually rules against reviving old threads...

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: The Secrets of August Manor (Daisy and Tiffany), Gauntlet of the Greek God Guardians (Zuri), Castle of the Vampire King (Bianca and Lilith), The Savage Era: The Blood Crown (Venifica)
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

It would be up to you really, if you wanted to use the old thread that would be fine. If you wanted anything removed form it, then that could also be arranged.