Thread: Rate My Team?

Default Rate My Team?

Lol. I know this sounds like it's in the wrong place, but it actually is about fanfiction. So as some of you may know, I'm currently writing Something Beautiful.

Not many of you know, but I like to plan the teams of the characters out beforehand. So I was just wondering if people could help me. These are the Pokémon I am currently planning on my characters having by the end.

Rico - Gengar, Arbok, Manetric, Gabite, Pinsir, Whiscash
    Cassandra - Alakazam, Marowak, Persian, Ninetales, Mamoswine, Kingdra
    Harper - Machamp, Kingler, Skitty, Lombre, Skuntank, Lickilicky
    Mace - Geodude, Tauros, Roserade, Gorebyss, Absol, Glaceon

Maria - Tangrowth, Dugtrio, Dustox, Jumpluff, Charmeleon
    Mario - Farfetch'd, Sandslash, Ampharos, Ledian, Cherrim
    Marinel - Mr. Mime, Hippowdon, Floatzel, Yanmega, Bellossom

So basically, my question is, what do you think of this setup. Do you think some characters teams can be changed? Not too dramatically, since some have already been written.

I was thinking of posting all their personalities to give you all a taste, but I thought instead you could ask for the personalities of a specific Pokémon.
    A lot of them have very good reasons for being in certain teams.

Thanks and Goodbyes.

Iota
    "Writing doesn't require drive. It's like saying a chicken has to have drive to lay an egg." ~ John Updike

They all look fine to me. I don't see thing that would send but the Mary-Sue flags.

I plan out my teams too, usually picking my favorite Pokemon.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Looks fine to me too! Not too many rares, just enough for a touch of interestingness. Could you post the order they will be acquired in?
    PASBL Info

This is my Absol-kun. PM me to give him a rare candy to raise his level by one, or battle him to raise it by three, or give him a hug which scares him out of his wits, causing him to rip you to shreds and raise his level by five.
    Level: One

I can't rate teams easily if I do not know A LOT OF THINGS that are spoilers. But one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Cassandra - Alakazam, Marowak, Persian, Ninetales, Mamoswine, Kingdra
    Mace - Geodude, Tauros, Roserade, Gorebyss, Absol, Glaceon

Bu-bu-cha, it's the cliché.

Why, it's just pwnage.

Spoiler:- What is coming soon?:

I don't find the Charmeleon cliché at all. It would actually seem weird to me that out of seven main characters (I'm guessing that they're main), not one of the has a starter.
    love me, hate me ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬&

Perfectly fine, although Ninetales and Persian seem to be a bit overused.

YAYZORZ!
    A distinct lack of Espeon.
    *applauds*
    And it manages to include Farfetch'd, Marowak, Dustox, Charmeleon (who is always ignored in favor of OMGFIREDRAGNLOL!), Hippowdon, Sandslash, Skuntank, and Kingler.
    Very unique.
    Join the Probopass cult now, and receive a year's supply of chocolate-scented toothpicks!

Sure I'll post the orders. And thanks guys and gals. Charmeleon isn't cliché at all. How he's aquired is funny.
    Also, technically all of them have a starter. Just not the generic starters

Cassandra - Alakazam, Marowak, Persian, Ninetales, Kingdra, Mamoswine
    Mace - Geodude, Tauros, Gorebyss, Roserade, Absol, Glaceon

Those are the orders they get them in, not including evolutions, but yanno.

Iota
    "Writing doesn't require drive. It's like saying a chicken has to have drive to lay an egg." ~ John Updike

Fun, they start with Gastly, Machop, Abra, Geodude?
    Unique indeed.
    And Tangela, Farfetch'd, Mr. Mime!
    Weird starters rock. In the fanfiction I've been tinkering around with forever, the main character's starter is a Staryu.
    Anyhoo, I look forward to your ficcie!
    Join the Probopass cult now, and receive a year's supply of chocolate-scented toothpicks!

The fic's already up

And yarsh, Gastly, Machop, Abra and Geodude.
    Then Tangela and Farfetch'd.
    Then the guy with Mime Jr.

If it goes as planned it'll be great.

Iota

Oh, you made me spot out something. Gengar = Bu-bu-cha, it's the cliché.

Why, it's just pwnage.

Spoiler:- What is coming soon?:

Care to divulge into that area? "Bu-bu-cha, it's the cliché" makes no sense to me at all.

Iota

I'm not sure about the "bu-bu-cha", but cliche means that it is... Like... Example...

Character starting with Eevee, taking on the gym challenge, and Eevee evolves into Espeon.

That's like, overused, overrated, too many characters are like that, etc... Basically stuff not to put in your fic. Gengar isn't cliche, is it? I don't see many owning that crazy thing. Gengar's okay, Iota!

I know what Cliché is, yeah. It's the "bu-bu-cha" that makes no sense. Some people... :P

I'm glad you don't think Gengar is cliché, since I wasn't prepared to change him as a starter at all.

Wondering...has anyone noticed the four starter pattern?

Iota

Default Geodude, Graveller, Golem

Yes, in fact I have and been wondering about it. You see, I do not think it makes sense to have them have Gengar, Alakazam, and Machamp. But then the poor Geodude doesn't evolve. I think tha you need to make him evolve at least to Graveller, but to stick with the pattern, Golem.

Araleon

P.S. The pattern was that all of the first four starters evolve to their last form by trade.
    Last edited by Araleon; 28th April 2007 at 10:16 PM.

Alakazams and gengars are a bit OU, but it would be weird to not have any OU pokemon with so many characters.

What I am wondering about is why some pokemon are fully evolved but others aren't.

Guys, hate to break it to ya, but having one slightly overused Pokémon isn't cliché. >> And btw, having one slightly OU character isn't going to kill a fic, not that Charmeleon is OU anyway.

But anyway, it's about what Pokémon are RIGHT for that character. Like if a Trainer prefers Pokémon with high defence, they'll get Cloyster, Golem and so on, and if they like the color pink they might get Cleffa, Exeggcute and Corsola.

The teams sound fine to me, but it doesn't help taht it's taken completely out of context. If you included ages, genders, personalities, that'd give us a MUCh better idea of the teams and their dynamics.

But meh, whatever, just do what you please.

~Psychic

Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

You mean the age of the characters, genders of Pokémon, and personalities of everyone right?

Tell me the format you want, and I'll post them in soon.

Geodude not evolving has a reason behind it. All things have reasons, but why spoil the story. Read it instead

Not all of the Pokémon are fully evolved because...why should they be? These are real people, not a game.

Iota

I really can't judge their teams becuase it is not so much the pokemon you have in your story as how well you write them and the story itself. Even the best most well balanced, anti-mary sue-ism for fear of flames, very detailed in character profiles, teams can be unreadable in the hands of a bad author . In the same way a good writer can make the readers cheer for a overused team...
    5/9/08: Chapter 6 of Fable is posted !

Vampiric pokémorphs and the Nurse Joy who must love them.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, sorry if I came across too strong. I'm going to go and read your fic know. Once again I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo sorry. Alright, I do find it interesting that it stays a Geodude. I'm offf, Bye!

Araleon out!