Page 101 of 618 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 15447

Thread: Catching shiny pokemon with the pokeradar

I am so jealous on all of you. I just don't seem to get a good chain.
    I follow all the chaing rules and still I can't get a chain longer than 37 =[
    I am trying to do it forever, but never caught my own shiny. I follow the
    4 golden rules and also try to walk into the same kind of patch. Is this
    just really bad luck? Or am I doing something really wrong?

Do practice and shiny patches will appear..
    new : others : Feebass, Growlithe, Scyther, Straly, Ledian, Cubone, Elekid, Darkrai, Tauros, Larvitar, Bagon, Pachirisu, Slakoth, Houndoom, Absol, Shaymin, Bronsly, Ponyta, Mewtwo, Latias, Shinx, Giratina, Roselia, Latios, Zangoose, Carvanha, Magikarp, Regice, Registeel, Regirock, Sandshrew, Swablu, Deoxys, Chikorita, Snorlax, Charmander, Abra, Eevee, Dratini, Gyarados, Groudon, Lapras, Pelipper, Beldum, Rayquaza, Mudkip, Makuhita, Crobat, Exeggutor, Zapdos, Articuno.
    Pictures on : http://pelican67.skyblog.com/

Friday night, i had a chain of 30 Dunsparce, as i posted on page 341. I reset for a whole hour, and then decided to get my chain up to 40. Only 5 minutes after resetting, i saw the shiny patch! I was so excited and proud of myself. It was my second chain that reached 40 I poisoned it with my Luxray's Toxic, and then chucked an Ultra Ball. And then it was caught! I nicknamed it Dunce because, well i dont really know, lol. It's male, level 16 with a Mild nature. Is that good?

After getting Dunce, i started to bring my chain up, trying to beat my Pachirisu chain of 52. Right after i battled the 43rd Dunsparce, i saw another shiny patch! It was male again, same level also. I caught it with my first Ultra Ball. I didn't give this one a nickname :P And it has a Lonely nature, is that good? My chain finally broke at 62, and i left Route 208 with two new shinies.

That's basiclly all that happened last night, i knew i was going to get a shiny from that chain. I dont know how, but i just knew it was going to get to 40 without breaking. Good luck to everyone, now i am going to see what my swarm pokemon is for today and start chaining that if its not too hard.( like on the route with the sandstorm or snow. )

~*Olivertwist*~

P.S. Congrats to people who got a new radar shiny and good luck to everyone also!
    [IMG]http://i25.*******.com/iz99n8.png[/IMG]

Tokmoth: Don't worry, I felt the same way. Chaining takes a lot of focus and a lot of decision making. It's a very slow process and you have to be EXTREMELY cautious when choosing a patch. I've slowly been beginning to be more strict with the patches I'm chosing and it's starting to pay off. All yesterday I tried and tried and tried to chain for ONE Shiny cubone. I had no luck. My chains would break if I lost track of where the patches were and accidentally stepped on one while recharging, or if there were two patches that looked safe but were equal distance away.. and I chose one and it was the wrong one - or if I thought I saw four patches and chose the farthest one but in fact there were only three. It's deffinately not easy; its an acquired skill. As you keep chaining you'll realize what's a "High Quality" patch and what's not. You'll slowly get your chains up, too. Mine went from around 6 and 7 to 44. I haven't been able to get another one up to 44 yet - but just yesterday at 12:30 in the morning I was still trying and I was amazed to find a shiny patch after my 6th Cubone. (Keep in mind this was probably the 27th chain I'd started). Then, 20 minutes later I tried three chains of Nosepass and when I restarted on that third chain, the SECOND nosepass was shiny. Yeah. I couldn't believe it. Actually I wish I hadn't of freaked out and jumped into the patch right away so I could have had a picture of it - but I'll have to try that next time.

Anwyays, chaining is a long process, don't expect it to be fast, quick and easy. You have to realize that it takes time, focus, skill and quite a bit of patience to reach a high chain. Don't expect a shiny to pop out as soon as yo hit 40, either. They chose when to come out. Sometimes its at 12, most times its after 40, and sometimes its on a whimb at 2. The best advice I can give you is be cautious, patient and focused and sooner or later it will pay off for you. :] I was in your shoes not two days ago, and I'm already seeing the proof that the pokeradar DOES help you attain shinies. My very first shiny was my shiny cubone and I was absolutely ecstatic.

And I found a good vid that can show you the shiny patch (twice, actually) - and believe me I was afraid I wouldn't tell the difference, but you WILL see the difference. Its pretty hard to miss unless you're not looking at your ds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jNdPd2eR2DA

I'll update later with pics of my first shinies: Cubone and Nosepass!

Shiny Currently Hunting:

If you'd like a clone of your pokemon, please PM me. I use action replay solely for cloning and don't mind cloning for anyone here. Just let me know! Customers so far: AngelLatias

Got two shiny cubones today on a chain of only 26, first one on 22 then second on 26 then I broke it unfortunately. But heck 2 shinies is fine by me, I just wanted the one cubone.
    FC:3910 1133 0650 Name: William
    Unless otherwise noted all trade offers/requests are for legit(not hacked) pokemon.
    Temporary trainer card till I get my team sorted out.

Got my largest chain yet, a chain of 22 shinx(*shakes fist to sentret*), thanks to my Amphy's static ability.
    I'm going do some battling at the Battle Tower, then head back to Route 202 to work on chaining some more shinx.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFufu View Post
    Thanks a lot for the rules, though I was already well-informed about them.

I'm just curious about the first one. I understand what it means, about going to the farthest patch, but should I only go to that patch if it is at least four patches away (as well as being the farthest)? I would test it for myself right now, but I have a chain going for this shiny I'm hunting, and I'd rather not break it.
    If you see four patches shake, one of them is GOING to be four patches away. It's also impossible for a shake to be further than four patches away. (This is probably the basis for Shuko's "only enter a patch if 4 shake" rule--if done in combination with entering the furthest patch, the patch you enter is going to be 4 cells away.)

I seem to recall finding lots of scenarios where there were two patches for cells away when chaining Seviper, but this hasn't happened yet while I chain my secret shiny. Either I was seeing things or it can vary depending on your target.

Also, beware of 2-diagonals--that is, patches which are three cells away in a diagonal position. They can look further away than some 4-cell-away patches, but aren't. Consider the pattern:
    Code:
    #########
    #########
    #########
    #########
    1###U####
    #########
    #########
    ######2##
    #########
    #########
    In this scenario, 1 is a good patch, while 2 is not.

The "don't use an edge" rule is total balogna. By using edges, you can sometimes risk the grass "falling quiet," but this can happen even if you don't use an edge, and some non-edge-using scenarios are worse than edge-using ones. Use common judgement. If entering a good patch takes you way far from the center of the field where the grass is really sparse, you may want to reset the radar in the middle of the patch to avoid the grass running quiet.
    Shiny Lovers ClubChristian Alliance

PkMn Pearl: 4468 0773 8281 • MKDS: 356611 325184 • Puzzle League: 429641 119596
    Red Shinies: 4/15 ∗ Shiny Cover Legendaries: 2/8 ∗ Shiny Grass Starters: 1/4

None of my shinies are for trade unless I mention otherwise.

^ what are u talking about man...id say 2 is better than 1 since u gotta walk THROUGH 4 patches+, and 1 is a corner/edge patch going in is like almost suicide

Me too !!I swear the highest chain I can get is 16 right now I can't even make it pass three !!!!!!

Grrr ive got the worst luck atm...
    last 2 chains ive had got up to 44 and 48

44 was smoochum
    and 48 was roselia

and no shinies at all =[

but im not giving up tho lol.. i want a new shiny =]

^ y didnt you start resetting at 40? thats the safe number to reset at...

Wow, this is very interesting, I might try it. If I have time.

Last few days:

Smoochum chain broke at 38, wanted to reset at 40
    Tauros chain broke at 37, wanted to reset at 40
    Mime Jr. chain broke at 29, wanted to reset at 30
    Apparently my signature's picture was too big after not hearing anything about it for nearly 2 years! : D
    Will be updated at some point.

Im giving up on shiny hunting. It was fun while it lasted and maybe Ill come back to it but it is wearing very thin.

One question to the other radaring fellows out there: I caught 9 shiny Ralts, all different genders all different natures, what evolution and nature would people recommend I train?

Thanks to eevee-me for the sig

My Pearl FC: 3351 0626 8416

I would recommend to train a ralts(m) with adament nature =D

And thank you all for the advice. I must have made over 100 chains by
    now (since I began the game), but still no luck. I will try harder and let
    you know when I (finally -_-') caught my first shiny.

I guess a good pokemon to use for killing others when looking for shiny's would be something with a good nature for the poketore pokemon + sychronise. Then the chances of having a 'good nature' would be much higher...

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    I guess a good pokemon to use for killing others when looking for shiny's would be something with a good nature for the poketore pokemon + sychronise. Then the chances of having a 'good nature' would be much higher...
    Yep, Shuko mentions that in either her first post in this thread or in her vid among the hints and tips for shiny hunting. If you are new to this I would advise you begin your chaining adventure with a quick stop at one of these tutoirals.

Thanks to eevee-me for the sig

My Pearl FC: 3351 0626 8416

here's a thought guys. have you ever noticed it get harder the higher ever the chain you go? Maybe the pokeradar lowers the encounter rate of the pokemon ur trying to chain. Maybe this would inadvertantly increase your chances of meeting a shiny.....

Well, I got my highest chain yesterday-16 growlithes. It was then broken by a stupid bidoof. I know its not great, but that's a pretty good chain for me. What's a good number for a beginner to start radar resetting at? I probably won't be able to make it all the way to 40 yet.
    White Friend Code: 2709 1720 9523

My General DeviantArt: http://runningspud.deviantart.com/
    My Pokemon DeviantArt: http://spuds-pokemon.deviantart.com/

My swarm pokemon for today is phanpy but since I already got a shiny one in emerald I will pass this day. I'm still waiting for the day an electric or steel pokemon is the swarm pokemon as my exploding static electrode & exploding magnet-pull probopass are ready to lead the charge on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerealm View Post
    Last few days:

Smoochum chain broke at 38, wanted to reset at 40
    Tauros chain broke at 37, wanted to reset at 40
    Mime Jr. chain broke at 29, wanted to reset at 30
    wow your sig.....
    I I did not see this post I would say....
    I've never heard of warnerbroman.
    You can't stop staring can you?

Just caught 2 shiny Krabby on a chain of 72.
    And yesterday I caught a shiny Magnemite on a chain of 40.

Thanks to Drift for the Trainer Card
    PATRICK
    Diamond FC:2320-2627-5843 Pearl FC: 1761-9334-5739
    Shinies caught by ME in D/P:Noctowl, Lickitung, Corsola x2, Sneasel, Castform, Shinx x2, Electrike, Farfetch'd, Magnemite, Krabby x2

I just started chaining a few days ago, and thanks to Shuko's awesome guide on the first page, I was just able to catch my first Diamond Version shiny--a shiny Porygon in the Trophy Garden. It took only a chain of 29 for me to find it. I immediately recognized the shiny patch from the YouTube videos and lo and behold, there it was.

My biggest downfall with chaining is that I always want to get my chain higher and higher. For example, I had a chain of 37 Porygon a few days ago, which broke because I tried to get to 40. Then I had a 32 chain two days ago which broke for the same reason. I'm at 35 now and not going to go any farther, especially with rare Pokemon like Porygon.
    Last edited by Cyclone; 3rd July 2007 at 11:53 PM.

MetalMario - Thanks for making an important distinction that I've been confused about with each of the tutorials out there. The four space rule is a distance of four squares away, not four steps away. If this is true and followed by successful chainers it would be great if someone ( Shuko ) could clarify it in the guides.

evilllllll - You made a good point. I noticed that when following the rules I can get a chain up to 10 pretty easily and even 20. After that the chain gets more fragile. I was in a sandstorm with beldum yesterday and couldn't see the grasses shake, yet I still got a chain of 18 before it broke (with a magnet pull in the lead, though). It sure seems like the percentage of running into the same pokemon goes down as the chain builds.

One more thing, is it possible that items and abilities that keep wild pokemon away will help to lower the percentage of non-chain pokemon appearing in the 4 shaking grasses and help your chain continue? Things like Intimidate with Pure Incense on the lead pokemon with the black flute in use. Or do these have no effect on the pokeradar like the repel items?
    Pokemon Diamond
    Name: Tux
    Friend Code: 2062 5640 0549

My pokeradar shinies:
    x2 x1 x12 x 6 x13

what's a good number for a beginner to start radar resetting at? My highest chain is 16, so I probably won't be able to make a 40 chain any time soon...
    White Friend Code: 2709 1720 9523

My General DeviantArt: http://runningspud.deviantart.com/
    My Pokemon DeviantArt: http://spuds-pokemon.deviantart.com/

Page 101 of 618 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast