Thread: Live Together, Die Together (Short Story)

Default Live Together, Die Together (Short Story)

I actually wrote this quite a while ago, long before I knew about this incredible forum. (Three cheers for Serebii.net Forums!) It was originally going to be another one-shot like my first story but after rewriting it I found out it was just too long, so it's going to be posted in two parts instead. It's rated PG for mild violence and mild depressing themes. Please enjoy (and review)!

Live Together, Die Together
    Part One

I remember.

I remember the way you used to cheer when I defeated my opponent.

I remember, on two occasions, when you hugged me and cried with joy for minutes after I evolved.

I remember rushing to protect you, as my instincts ordered me to.

I remember that I failed.

The tears come again, spilling from my red eyes and falling onto your prone figure. You sleep on, unconcerned. Your heart beats with such agonized slowness that it is amazing you still live. It is mostly the machines and my force of will, the will of a Psychic Pokemon, that keeps you alive. Yet I can do no more than keep you alive. You still lie there, unmoving, your eyes either closed or staring blankly at the ceiling. Sometimes it feels like you can see me but you don’t recognize me.

I put up a barrier in my mind to hold back the memories, but sometimes I falter and they come rushing back, causing my eyes to sting again. I remember everything so vividly, but it’s unbearable for me to try to compare you to the young girl, full of vitality, who captured me.

I allow myself a faint smile. Capture is not the right word. You never used a ball until I was ready to go into that dark abyss. You never forced me in, even when I was in danger. I would have simply broken out again. You understood that and you let me do my job of protecting you.

I used to be a tiny Ralts. It seems hard for me to believe, even though I clearly remember being shorter than your knees. I can still remember the day I faced your Mudkip and, passive creature that I was back then, did no more than growl at him. His first attack blinded me and I tried to escape by teleportation, but he almost knocked me out. I remember being too weak to defend myself, preparing for the final blow, until you called him off. You picked me up and carried me tenderly to the hospital.

I draw a deep, shuddering breath. Your eyes blink once, very slowly, before closing completely. You drift back into the sweet embrace of sleep. For a moment I am jealous of you. You sleep away the nights and days, taking what you need into your body intravenously. As for me… I have hardly slept in months. How can I, when I still expect at any moment to see you smile at me?

The hospital staff pity me. I can see it in their eyes, read it in their minds. Occasionally they slip sleeping pills into the meals they bring me. I know it but I don’t care. I swallow them almost gratefully and when I feel my eyelids becoming heavy, I rest my head beside your arm and sleep. I am glad for the hours of dreamless sleep they grant me. Sometimes, if it has been days since I last slept, the effects of the drug last for almost twenty-four hours. Whenever I wake I always go back to watching you immediately.

I remember you introducing me to the Pokemon you had captured before me. Mudkip was wary at first but quickly accepted me. Zigzagoon disliked my solitary behaviour but tried to get along with me. Your Wurmple, however, developed an instant hate of me which deepened when he evolved into Beautifly. It was only natural, of course, he being a Bug type. In fact, sometimes I even felt the same way about him. I remember one fateful double battle when he turned on me and poisoned me. After that day you never again made us fight together. In fact, you barely even let us near each other!

A nurse is bringing my meal in. She sets it down and casts me an apologetic look. I don’t need it; I know what she’s sorry about. I can read minds, you know. I know what is going to happen tomorrow.

There is no sleeping pill this time. I look down disdainfully at what the girl brought and push it away. I haven’t eaten all day. I take your hand and stroke it gently, feeling the warmth that always surprises me. Somehow it seems that someone so motionless should feel cold.

I sense someone talking about you and listen with my telepathy. Some may call it eavesdropping, but it’s how I found out everything I know about your condition. The conversation is being held between two doctors and the nurse who brought my meal. I hear nothing new; only the same old questions about your chances and their plans for tomorrow.

The nurse, who I sense pities me more than anyone else, asks what will happen to me. Suddenly the conversation is about me. I consider blocking it out; I hate hearing what others are saying about me. I change my mind and listen. They are discussing their plans for what they will do with me after tomorrow.

I hear the nurse make a comment. “Poor Gardevoir,” she says. “How’s she going to feel when she finds out?”

For some reason this comment amuses me. A faint smile appears on my face and I try to fight back a chuckle. I begin to laugh uncontrollably until I can hardly breathe, then suddenly I find myself crying. Hysteria. It’s probably caused by lack of sleep, not to mention my despair for you. I wipe my tears away and link our minds with my psychic abilities, strengthening our telepathic bond. It will not wake you up but it will prevent me from having to live without you. I already have my own plans for tomorrow.

I decide to test our bond. I pinch my own arm hand and feel the pain that reminds me I’m not imagining all of this. At the beginning I did this five times a day.

I reach out and pinch your arm. I feel the same pain again and lean back, satisfied. Our bond is so strong we share our pain. Normally a Psychic Pokemon would never dare to do this; if it got hurt in battle, so would its Trainer. However, I know I will never fight another battle in my life.

I remember the day I evolved into Kirlia. I was fighting alongside your new Marshtomp and he was outdoing me at every turn. I never admitted this to you but I evolved to impress you. I knew I was weaker than him, so I evolved and became strong enough to defeat both of our opponents. Marshtomp stopped liking me for a while after that.

Sometimes I wonder if you have a stream of consciousness anymore. Do you really see the ceiling when you stare at it? Can you think? Can you remember me or the others, the ones who gave their lives for you? Are you aware that I’m sitting beside you? Do you even remember what happened that day, the day you ended up like this?

The tears come again. I didn’t think I had any moisture left in my body to cry out. The thoughts of dear, sweet Swampert, Linoone and Beautifly always manage to make me cry. Their cold bodies lie inside Mount Pyre now, free from sadness, never knowing what happened to you after they died for you. If you don’t remember… then I must be the only one with those memories. Of course, you were already unconscious when the final part played out. I wouldn’t do it in front of you. Only I deserve the guilt of knowing I have killed.

Aww, this is sad! It's very well descripted and I feel the emotions from the sentences. Gardevoir's sadness is written everywhere. Though, I'd have to say I'm very curious as to what exactly happened and how her/his trainer is dying and how the trainer's other pokemon died. ^^; Nice job though!
    (image beautifully drawn by pixiv user id #45323)
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/34il6ah.png[/IMG]
    Lelouch is watching over all of us.

This is so sad, poor Gardevior, i cried a little after i read this, it is good but still sad noe the less.

Don't worry, guys, you'll find out soon enough. I'm posting part two in only a few days! I hope you like it. By the way, Mimori Kiryu, Gardevoir is female (remember the nurse's comment? How is she going to feel). I'm very glad you like it. Why don't you check out my other story If You Ever Care? I can't figure out how to put a link. I need replies to it! By the way, this isn't the last you'll be seeing of me!

Wow, this is just...wonderful!

:...how could you be happy on this? *cries*

Um, it’s just a one-shot...not real, calm down *hands a tissue*
    Anyway, though I loved the state of a loyal Gardevoir being on the side of its trainer, it is somewhat strange...
    A slightly annoying thing in views by pokemon is using the terms of psychic too often, many other things could replace it.

Sometimes I wonder if you have a stream of consciousness anymore. Do you really see the ceiling when you stare at it? Can you think? Can you remember me or the others, the ones who gave their lives for you? Are you aware that I’m sitting beside you? Do you even remember what happened that day, the day you ended up like this?

The tears come again. I didn’t think I had any moisture left in my body to cry out. The thoughts of dear, sweet Swampert, Linoone and Beautifly always manage to make me cry. Their cold bodies lie inside Mount Pyre now, free from sadness, never knowing what happened to you after they died for you. If you don’t remember… then I must be the only one with those memories. Of course, you were already unconscious when the final part played out. I wouldn’t do it in front of you. Only I deserve the guilt of knowing I have killed.
    The choice of words is wonderful here, it was so...Ethereal...so fitting for the air of the story....so psychic. You get thumbs up for that.
    Everything went smooth as a...Lexus on a highway.

: *blows on the tissue* bad way to put it.

However, I could tell from the title of the story, that the end will be either a sacrifice, or the Gardevoir killing its trainer.

: B-b-But that-

Perhaps she will use her psychic powers to distort the time-space continuum! Moreover, destroy everything in the world with a huge black hole! That is wonderful! Because it is like the way, a trainer is forced to act, and the clash of will and duty! Muwahahahaha!!

:...Why am I tempted to kill my trainer?
    I'm back.

No, no more stories, I'm still recovering from the horror that was Forgotten Paths. I'll just drop by your thread, post a cruel mocking review or two and be on my way.
    (*Innocent grin*)

Wow, thanks (blushes) I'm glad you like it. I've decided to post part two tomorrow and I hope you enjoy it. It's odd, but I seem to be getting more hits for half a story than the finished one (scratches head in confusion). By the way, for those who are only reading this because I mentioned violence, you haven't been cheated. There's less crying and more violence in part two. Enjoy! (well, um, not yet, I mean. Tomorrow!)

That is wonderful! But i wanted more happy.... Oh well, it is your story, have fun with it! By the way have you read my story?

I'll try and keep that in mind for the future, but I'm very sorry to say that you won't find much 'happy' here. I'm better at working with tragedy and excitement. I'll try to work more 'happy' into my stories in the future, but just be warned it might turn into a disaster. (Hmm... the word 'disaster' should have spoilers around it... but I can't figure out how else to give you this little hint!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gardevoir Girl View Post
    I'll try and keep that in mind for the future, but I'm very sorry to say that you won't find much 'happy' here. I'm better at working with tragedy and excitement. I'll try to work more 'happy' into my stories in the future, but just be warned it might turn into a disaster. (Hmm... the word 'disaster' should have spoilers around it... but I can't figure out how else to give you this little hint!)
    You don't have to but happy in, thats what i like the most about your story, it looks at the dark side of pokemon. Keep it just the way it is!

Well guys, here it is! I really hope you like this! And I wonder how many of you picked up the 'disaster' hint? It'll all be explained the moment you read this! (Please Arceus, let them like it...)

(... huh? Where did the 'Centre' button go? Oh well, you'll just have to put up with it like this.)

Live Together, Die Together

Part Two

I rest my head beside you and cry once again, possibly for the last time. For the very first time I am not crying because of your fate, or mine, or the death of my partners. I am crying because of what happened that day. I am crying because of what I did.

The scene unfolds in my mind. I see you climbing a mountain and entering a cave, your four faithful companions behind you. I hear your laughter. It is almost as though the last three months never happened…

“Lucky we got here before the storm came,” the girl laughed. “Come on, guys, I’ll light a fire.”

Beautifly fluttered into the cave and perched on a rock, looking extremely ruffled from the wind. A drop of rain landed on his wing and he peered up suspiciously. He had chosen the only spot in the cave with a hole in the ceiling.

The girl dumped her armload of collected firewood near a wall and struck a match. The fire flared up instantly, giving off welcome warmth. The girl and her Gardevoir and Linoone eagerly crowded around it, but Beautifly stayed well back. Swampert decided he would rather sit outside in the storm.

There was a sound in the back of the cave and the girl leaped to her feet. “Who’s there?” she yelled. Gardevoir rose to her feet, ready to protect her Trainer.

Two sets of red eyes shone from the darkness. Slowly two Absol moved into the light, their heads down and their eyes glinting angrily. They did not appreciate the intrusion into their cave.

The girl took a step back. “Um… hi,” she said shakily. “Look, we didn’t mean to upset you or anything. We only came to get out of the storm… oh, stupid me. They probably caused this storm.”

“Absol don’t cause storms,” Gardevoir told her Trainer in telepathy.

“I don’t really care if they caused it or not right now,” the girl said, backing away further. Gardevoir stepped in front of her protectively.

“If you want to hurt her you’ll have to go through me,” she told the Absol firmly.

One of the Absol growled. Beautfly decided his Trainer was more important than how pretty his wings looked and darted in front of the advancing duo. Linoone joined him, knowing that Gardevoir had a type disadvantage.

The four Pokemon faced each other. Before the girl could call out a command the two Absol attacked, slashing at the two Pokemon in their way with incredible violence. They were fighting to kill rather than defeat and it wasn’t hard for them to succeed.

Beautifly crumpled immediately, his wings torn to shreds. He fluttered the tattered remains feebly but was trampled by one of the Absol. One of the party was dead.

Swampert rushed in to take over for Beautifly. Linoone was dodging the rapid slashes made by the second Absol and he managed to land a Headbutt attack, but soon he was struck down. He tried to get up but Absol dived on him and delivered a quick bite to the back of his neck.

Swampert was attacking furiously with Secret Power, fighting off both Absol. He kept dealing them punches but they kept coming back for more. He spat a stream of water them and both of them dived on top of him. He struggled to throw them off but was quickly overpowered.

Angry, Gardevoir rushed into the battle and began to use Ice Punch. One of the Absol tackled her, slamming her into a wall. She was winded and struggled to get up.

The second Absol finished Swampert with a bite to the throat. Nothing was standing in their way now. They didn’t see Gardevoir as being worthy of fighting. They both launched themselves at the girl, who screamed and covered her head.

“No!” Gardevoir screamed, stumbling forward. She tried to knock them back with Psychic, forgetting that they were Dark types. Her cry distracted them and they slammed hard into the girl. The back of her head hit the cave wall and she dropped to the ground. She would never fully regain consciousness.

Gardevoir drew herself up to her full height, fury in her eyes. Her Trainer was not dead. She had to do what she could to save her.

“Absol!” she yelled. “You will not harm my Trainer!”

One of the Absol looked around. Gardevoir leaped forward and delivered a shattering punch to its jaw. She struck them both down with Thunderbolt and they crumpled, shaking from the electricity in their bodies.

“We give up,” one croaked.

Gardevoir was blinded with anger. She ignored their pleas and grabbed them both by the throat, squeezing until their eyes bulged and their breathing stopped. Finally she charged up another bolt of lightning and hurled it at the two Pokemon.

They were killed instantly.

I gasp in anguish, thinking about what I had done to those Pokemon. They were apologizing, but I had just lost the three partners I had worked with since the beginning. I was too blinded with rage to see that the Absol were living creatures too. By killing them, I lowered myself to their level.

I lift my head and watch your chest rise and fall with your breathing. It is nearly morning. They will come soon. I take your hand again, using all of my power to tighten our bonds until I breathe in rhythm with you and my heart beats at the same pace. We are one being with two bodies.

They are coming. I give your hand a squeeze, as though you can feel my reassurance. Of course, there is nothing to reassure you about. I know what is going to happen. There’s no question about it.

A doctor comes into the room. Not your doctor, a young woman with a cheerful personality. This doctor is an elderly man who always looks solemn. Of course, he has a reason today.

“Good morning, Gardevoir,” the doctor says. His hand moves behind his back. I’m not fooled; I can sense the hypodermic syringe he is holding. I rise and stand in front of you, once again feeling very protective. Not that there’s a reason any more.

The doctor looks faintly unsettled. He mutters something about not being about to hurt you, then catches my arm and thrusts the needle under my skin. My heart, slowed down to keep in rhythm with yours, takes a moment to pump the drug throughout my body. I begin to get drowsy. My knees buckle and the doctor catches me before I fall.

I am placed in a wheelchair and taken away. I struggle to fight off the effects of the drug, knowing I have only a minute to live. My psychic power and strength of will prevail and I stumble from the wheelchair. I run through the hallways toward your room, moving more and more in staggering lurches as the drug wears me down.

My consciousness dims. I am fading away from the real world, slipping into a black abyss from which there is no return. I know what has happened. The doctor has turned off your machines, just as he planned. Today is the day of your death. And, since I bonded us so tightly with psychic power, today is also the day of my death.

I reach your room. My heart has almost stopped completely. The doctor, who is surveying you as you slip away, looks up in alarm. I direct my last telepathic words to him.

“Live together, die together. We will not be separated.”

My heart stops. I throw myself over the bed, landing with my head beside yours and my hand on your chest. A small smile creases my mouth as we die together.

Wow, I loved it. Part one was especially poignant and more impactfuly to me than part two. After the revelation of the psychic bond, I knew how it would end. Infact, if you had left out the last few sentences about the past incident that part could've stood on its own as a great short story.

Part two again was wonderful. The fights were violent of course, but not excessively graphic. The ending was written beautifully. I had a sad, but vivid picture in my head of Gardevoir staggering across the hospital corridors, leaning against the walls for support, and finally collapsing onto her trainer as the two died.

Great job, I hope to see more from you.

Wow, thanks! I'm glad you liked it. (Wipes a tear away.) I cried when I was writing this. I wish I knew where the idea came from so I could do more! I'm soon posting another story, but this one won't be as... depressing. (Except for the ending.) I hope you check it out!
    If names changes are ever implemented again, someone please PM me. I will not spend the rest of my time here labelled as a female because of my username.
    Visions Of Fate latest chapter: Chapter Twenty - The Abandoned House

Wow. This is written...*looks for an appropriate word and doesnt find one*

:*wails* Psy! give me a Focus Blast TM! Death to dark types!!

Hey, calm down Ielas...This story was wonderful, though...
    The fight scene was a little...lacking.

:the everlasting phrase...

I mean about the light, maybe a mention of the shadows of the Absol reflected by the flickering light of the fire, and so on...The cave effect on sounds.

Angry, Gardevoir rushed into the battle and began to use Ice Punch. One of the Absol tackled her, slamming her into a wall. She was winded and struggled to get up.
    I guess you mean wounded.
    *mumbles* How come you never had an ice punch...

:Your parents have to teach you...

...Alright, what is lost is lost.
    Don't think I didn't love the story by my crappy excuse of a review, no, I just suck in describing.

I did expect the ability of Gardevoir to distort the dementions and create a black hole, and would have suggested it, but it would have ruined the whole cave, crampled all the bodies and ruined the story, lol.
    I look forward to your next addition, could you PM me if you're ready to post it?

: *wipes tears* you know how heartless you sound Psy?

...Not really...*gets smacked* OW!
    Nevertheless, about linking in a sig, you could use the globe-chain looking button, then post the URL in the window that comes up *gets smacked again* Hey, I had to tell!
    Last edited by Psyblade; 21st October 2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Full crappy review
    I'm back.

No, no more stories, I'm still recovering from the horror that was Forgotten Paths. I'll just drop by your thread, post a cruel mocking review or two and be on my way.
    (*Innocent grin*)

Wow, thank you again for replying, Psyblade. If it's possible to have friends on a forum I think I've found one! I've taken your suggestions into account. I'm not good with descriptions like the cave scene. When I write about a battle I get a rush of adrenaline as though I'm actually in one!

I considered that black hole think, but I decided it didn't fit in.

I actually meant 'winded' as in she had the breath knocked out of her. (How do you do that quote thing?)

If you mean the next addition of this story, I'm sorry to say there won't be one. However, I will PM you with a link when I'm ready to start posting that other story I mentioned. (If I can figure out how, I'm a bit new at this forum thing...)
    If names changes are ever implemented again, someone please PM me. I will not spend the rest of my time here labelled as a female because of my username.

All right, first off, I don't see how this was too long. Unless the post character limit has been modified since i was last here ((and it very well may have been, it's been a while for me)), this all should have fit in one post, and should have been in one post, IMO. But, idk, and that's really not all that important either. I just think that if it will fit in one post, it should be in one post. I've read chapters in fanfics that could be no less than 3 posts due to the character limit, and they were perfectly fine, so unless that happens don't worry about being too long.

I didn't read this with the intent of prying it apart, like I used to like to do to stories, so I didn't really take any notice of spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors, which at least means that nothign was painfully obvious, if it was wrong at all, so good work with that.

Anyhow, on to the actual story, I thought this was quite good. If it wasn't for the title reminded me of a line from Aeon by Scrap I probably never would have read it. I used to be fairly active here, and I grew to the point that I refused to read anythign but the best. Ryano Ra/Serpent Syra/Malyntrix, Scrap/Kiyohime, Burnt Flower, purple drake, Sike Saner, etc. and thus if I didn' trecognize the username, I was very unliekly to click on it, and even then, I'd often scan the reviews for a reviewer whose opinion I trusted enough before I read it.

But, all this aside, I ended up reading your story, and I really enjoyed it. So I'll definately be following your writing and I hope the rest of your stuff is as good as this was.

I remember when "The Authors' Cafe" was still "The Author's Cafe".
    Scrap, purple_drake, Ryano Ra, and Burnt Flower are my fanfic idols.

--fics--
    NEW:Emory In Viridian- A more realistic spin on a new trainer trekking through Viridian Forest. [one-shot]
    NEW:Pallet Evening News [on DeviantArt and not Serebii due to short length] - A disturbing report from Pallet Town's evening news concerning three new trainers. [one-shot]
    Tómur -Dark contemplations of an undisclosed Pokemon about nothingness and the end. [one-shot]
    The Traveler - A lonely traveler encounters a malevolent pokemon during the night on Route 8. [one-shot]
    Redead - A Redead's perspective on its own life. [Legend of Zelda one-shot]

More at my DeviantArt

Yay, my first somewhat-critical review. I'm actually happy that someone wasn't as satisfied with this story! I guess this wasn't really too long, but I cut it in half for two reasons. One: I didn't want to accidentally break the limit. Two: I thought (correctly) that I'd get more readers and reviewers if I built up suspense!

The reason you didn't pick up any errors is probably because I'm actually critical of myself. I proofread this at least six times to make sure there were no errors. I figured that it would be easier for people to enjoy this story if they didn't have to keep stopping and saying, "Hmm, that's spelt wrong."

This was quite a beautiful piece. Everything was very neatly written, and you did an impeccable job conveying the deep emotions present in the story. Well done.

Honestly, I wish I could convey emotion as well as you do.

The doctor looks faintly unsettled. He mutters something about not being about to hurt you, then catches my arm and thrusts the needle under my skin. My heart, slowed down to keep in rhythm with yours, takes a moment to pump the drug throughout my body. I begin to get drowsy. My knees buckle and the doctor catches me before I fall.

I am placed in a wheelchair and taken away. I struggle to fight off the effects of the drug, knowing I have only a minute to live. My psychic power and strength of will prevail and I stumble from the wheelchair. I run through the hallways toward your room, moving more and more in staggering lurches as the drug wears me down.

My consciousness dims. I am fading away from the real world, slipping into a black abyss from which there is no return. I know what has happened. The doctor has turned off your machines, just as he planned. Today is the day of your death. And, since I bonded us so tightly with psychic power, today is also the day of my death.

I reach your room. My heart has almost stopped completely. The doctor, who is surveying you as you slip away, looks up in alarm. I direct my last telepathic words to him.

“Live together, die together. We will not be separated.”

My heart stops. I throw myself over the bed, landing with my head beside yours and my hand on your chest. A small smile creases my mouth as we die together.
    This was my favorite part. It's so beautiful in its sadness...yet, there is hope for Gardevoir and her trainer are not seperated...

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

This is my favortie story, i love how dedicated she is, even for a Gardivior that is very hard to do. I can't think of any way it could be improved, nope none, it is truly great. I can't help but be rushed by emotions when i read the fight scene, Linoone, Beautifly, Swapert, why didn't she recall them and have gardevior teleport them away? Then she wouldn't be in this pain! I can't wait for chapter three, please PM me when it comes out. You must make a Part Three!
    Last edited by Normalize; 22nd October 2007 at 10:04 PM.

(Bursts into tears) Oh, Normalize, why did you have to remind me? There isn't going to be a part three! How can there be, with all of the characters dead? If I'd left even one alive I promise you I would make a part three, but it's a bit too late now!

Part Three could be in the after lift. but it doesn't matter, i was just hoping.