Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Science/Physics Club

Default The Science/Physics Club

Man, that makes me sound such a geek

Oh well, this is a club to discuss all the sciencey/physics stuff in the world, whether you think such theories can be proven etc. All the technological/science things happening in the world, what will happen if such things were proven etc.
    Anything to do with science really (and yes, that does mean that you can't mention Scientology as factual I mean, come on...)
    And please, don't discuss creation stuff, that's just a no-no, because I say so plus we can't prove it in any form or way and it hurts my brain, so please... OK?
    And when I say that, I mean:
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Panda
    We strictly forbid any discussion of whether creation/evolution occurs within this club. This is not because we take one particular side, as a matter of fact we have no official stance on the matter, and we do not wish to. We just want to avoid this club degrading into the state of the debate forum on scientific matters.
    More rules include:
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Panda
    We would very much like it if our members could source any arguments or proposals they wish to make within this club. To do this sourcing, we want credible articles. Things such as "stringtheorysuxx.com" will NOT apply. However something like "Physics Journal of America" would more than apply. We trust you to tell the difference between a good and bad article.

NB: Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source to source an argument with. However for something as simple as either a definition or unbiased explanation which would not have any controversy, Wikipedia is acceptable, and in those situations a neat and handy tool.
    So yeah, if we could begin this please then there are such things to talk about as particles and anti-particles, how they react with each other, whether it's a worthwhile thing to do and all that (because some of us started talking about them in another topic. Oops...)

Anyway, yeah.
    Three
    _ Two
    _ _ One
    _ _ _ Go!

(Oh, and of course, Sub-Leader/Whatever you want to call it will be given out to those who participate in discussions alot, make informed opinions and are generally nice and obey the rules [of course])
    Enjoy...

Members
    Owners
    1. Me (UltimateNagash - call me Will). Owner
    2. JoshDuddy (co/sub-owner)
    3. The Panda (co/sub-owner)
    4. evolutions (co/sub-owner)

'Normal' Members
    1. BandGeek101
    2. sarcastic phantom
    3. K Brown
    4. Lugia Kuriarhia
    5. giga872
    6. Acheront
    7. eonmaster457
    8. intrnd
    9. Dragon Wing
    10. uzumakikunai
    11. Simon Togetic
    12. honey_clover112
    13. crobatman
    14. Pikawho?
    15. Thatguy
    16. HommeDor
    17. Conquistador
    Last edited by UltimateNagash; 1st October 2007 at 2:10 PM.
    Scarlet Rue, Cassandra Cain, Luka Millfy, Toph Bei Fong, Molly Hayes, Megan Gwynn, Stephanie Brown
    "Ohhh... this is how it all ends... Pond flirting with herself... true love at last."
    My available short stories: The Ending Star and A Hunter of Auld Times
    "It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy... Let's go exploring!"

Hey, I'll join =].

You said you were making this a while ago so I thought I would search it. The_Panda was also gonna make one, but you seem to have gotten to it first!

If an admin sees this can you please delete my account. I asked for it to be deleted ages ago, but I was told if I left it for 4 months, the account would be pruned. That never happened.

Care to be Co-Owner?
    Scarlet Rue, Cassandra Cain, Luka Millfy, Toph Bei Fong, Molly Hayes, Megan Gwynn, Stephanie Brown
    "Ohhh... this is how it all ends... Pond flirting with herself... true love at last."

Aye, sure, why not.

You may wanna add to the rules no science and religion debating here, as it could quite easily turn into a battle field :S

EDIT... reading over that, that makes no sence o.O

You know what I mean though lol... no anti religion debating, and no religion with science. EG Evolution proves there is no God (thats not correct but you catch my drift).
    Last edited by Amostein; 29th June 2007 at 5:18 PM.

If an admin sees this can you please delete my account. I asked for it to be deleted ages ago, but I was told if I left it for 4 months, the account would be pruned. That never happened.

Oh! I'm joining...

Can I be Co-Owner by any chance?

I'll join. Physics and Science are my thing and I'm pretty good.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our dark, that most frightens us. My wii code: 8162 7704 7947 6407
    http://www.myspace.com/peacenotwar2030

There's three available, so yeah. But no, cause I don't like ya
    Nah, I'm kidding... You're co-owner.
    BandGeek101 and JoshDuddy, you both can be as well if you want (better hurry though )

Thanks UltimateNagash.

I read something rather interesting in NewScientist today... something about evolution going backwards. I didn't think it was possible, but it seems there are still some vestigal traits. What do you guys think of it?

Part-transcript - http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...backwards.html

Unfortunately you need to subscribe to see the whole transcript. The article was very interesting...

Also, new topic:
    What is your favourite science?

For me it's Physics. I find it really interesting, that's the main reason. I go to as many lectures on it as I can in my spare time.

Oooooooh. I want to join. My favorite science would be biology and chemistry comes in a good second place. Scientific American is like my favorite journal of all time. I would like to talk about what kind of technology we can harness in the future. Im crossing my fingers for time travel but as of right now time travel seems like a direct violation of all the laws of nature.

The problem with inventing time travel is causing stuff to happen that didn't before. Therefore, I believe if we do travel and time, and then to the future, that path will split so we go to the changed one, but this one is still around (if that made sense).
    *list updated as well*
    Oh, and Panda, looks intersting, but I won't subscribe till I get home (at work at the moment )

It's worth it. I'm subscribed to about 20 different journals, my favourite ones are (in order):
    a) New Scientist - just a really good quality journal
    b) British Medical Journal - I'm a medical student
    c) Scientific American - Again it's very good quality.

Oh and I don't care if this club sounds geeky. I'm your stereotypical geek/Asian studymaster anyway :P

I want to join this club .
    And if there's any more place left, can i be a co-owner/sub-owner?

I want pokemon with frickin lasers attached to their frickin heads!

Co-owner of the science/physics club

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateNagash View Post
    Care to be Co-Owner?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshDuddy View Post
    Aye, sure, why not.
    Physics is my favourite science. Mainly astronomy though.

Chemistry is also really good.

M hm, when I was choosing what to do for my A-levels I was stuck between history and chemistry. I love history, but I find chemistry fascinating. In the end I choose history.

This club pawns, kudos to you UltimateNagash.

I was just reading an article on Cosmic background radiation and scientists use it to determine the age of our universe is anyone educated about that? Id like to learn more.

Its hard to choose which science you enjoy most. If history was a science then it would be my favorite.

In Australia you did Units. You had to do at least 12 units. Subjects took up units. The higher you were in a subject, the more units it took up. All the sciences took up 2 units. I did this:

4Unit Maths (top), 3U English (I would have done 4 unit, but otherwise I would have had too much), 2U Physics, 2U Chemistry, 3U Latin (top), 2U Greek (top). I did 16 Units, the absolute max.

That was a good spread I thought... but a geeky one too. I was going to do 4U English, but that would mean I would have to write whole novel! 3U Latin meant extension Latin, and I wanted to do extension Greek, but that would have put me over the limit.

I would subscribe, I'm just at work

evolutions: your co-sub owner, but I'll 'de-own' any of you if you be nasty

Anyway, I will reply properly to everything when Serebii stops being slow. But I will answer your question SP when it does so...
    And I chose Physics for A-Levels, and have just finished it for my A2s...

I love Physics ^^

By the way, what is an A level etc?

Optional British exams for 16-18 year olds still at school before you to go uni/college/work

You took between 3 and 5 exams, with me choosing Maths, Physics, ICT and Geography in the fist year, and dropping Geography in the second...
    Last edited by UltimateNagash; 30th June 2007 at 4:08 PM.

Well, physics is obviously my favourite science. But i find biology very interesting also. I haven't done alot of chemistry though, which some people find puzzling considering biology and chemistry make such a good match .
    One of the good thing about A-level is the flexibility. You get alot of freedom to choose what you want to do.

Yeah... I never got biology or chemistry actually... I still got a B for the combined GCSE.
    Anyway, Panda (and everyone else), could you please list all the science sites you know, and I'll add them to the first page for recommended looking. Same with any books, TV programs etc you know of.
    And I'll start it off with Physics for Superheroes, by James Kakalios. Good read, no matter how stupid the people in my class this year thought it was for reading a science book using principles for comics they didn't even want to listen, saying it's "not real". Yes, but quantum stuff does, explaining tunneling and stuff. And loh and behold, what did we do this year?
    That's right, a brief bit of tunneling using quantum to show this side of physics...

Well, for TV, Horizon is quite a good science program shown in the UK. The emphasis is imo more on introducing a range of scientific fields and current issues, rather than an in-depth explanation and analysis of the discussed topic.

If you're interested in string theory, 'The elegant universe' (both the book and the TV program) is a good place to start. It details the search for a 'theory of everything', explains what string theory is and how it may be able to achieve this goal.

erm, that's all for now, i'll think of other useful sources later.

String theory's really interesting.

UltimateNagash, sure, I'll compile a shortlist later.

NewScientist and Scientific American are a good place to start. Helix magazine's good to.

If you're interested in Medicine, like me, a good magazine is the British Medical Journal.

Definitley scientific american.

http://www.sciencemag.org/

This site has lots of collected articles that are fascininating.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast