Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Grass Menagerie! (505)

Default The Grass Menagerie! (505)

Eterna Gym! VS Gardenia!

It is time for Ash's second gym battle. In Eterna City, agsint Gardenia, whom he previously battled in the Forest, Ash faces one of his toughest battles. In a three on three battle, Staravia, Turtwig & Aipom face strong competition against Cherubi, Turtwig & Roserade. Can Ash beat Gardenia this time or will he end up losing to her again?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Does anyone think Leech Seed gets overpowered in the animé, to be able to eat off what'd account for half of the Pokémon's health, just like that?

At least it wasn't as bad a victory than expected.

I won something. Click above to find out why.

-Muku.BIRD was awesome, despite the fact it didn't take down Roserade. Cherubi didn’t even lay a finger on ’im, and he gave Turtwig a run for it’s money this time, even if he suffered the agony of a leech seed-tackle defeat.

-Cherubi fires off Magical Leaf, and the almighty one shoots into a quick ascent, going so far up that the leaves eventually give way and plummet back down to earth. Muku.BIRD then dives down at maximum fastness, and in the process flies in front of the sun, forcing Cherubi to look away due to the blinding light. Then Muku.BIRD (get this) DIVES SMACK DAB ON TOP OF CHERUBI. A token explosion ensues, of course, sending Cherubi flying. Then Muku.GOD does what any deity would do at time like this; fly out of the debris caused by impact and Quick Attack it‘s tasty opponent, sending it flying even further in the process. Then to add insult to injury, Muku.[b]BIRD[//b] almost instantaneously performs an Aerial Ace (this part looks uber cool btw) flying back over the snack-based parasitic twin, coming back round and delivering the attack directly to it's pie-hole.

-When Muku.BIRD is facing Turtwig before their match starts, it pours on the Muku.ANGST and lets us know it's sore about it's previous defeat with the classic scowl/growl combo. Priceless scene, that.

-And because I won't let the love for Muku.BIRD end, I'd also like to add how awesome it was to see him force Turtwig into some trees before schooling it with a head on attack, causing property damage in the process.

-Aipom comes out of it's pokéball, and does a very contest-esque entrance, before taking a bow. Obviously, this is your cue to start up some horrendous speculation thread, of which will inevitably devolve into some crap about how Ash should’ve got Buoysel. I know the truth hurts more than a ball of smouldering Chimchar faeces to one’s eye-socket, but unfortunately you can’t hide from it.
    In any case, this was a good battle for her, and did a great job of showing what she’s truly capable of. Perhaps there were even enough crazy stunts (punching it’s own Swift Attack) and impressive moves (using Double Team to locate the Grass Knots) to perhaps alter the opinions of those mean ol’ Aipom nay-sayers?

-Roserade’s voice was thumbs-up worthy, and this time around it was a lot more reminiscent of Shuu’s Roselia. And hey, Shimura did a pretty decent job with it too, so there’s a plus.

Speaking of Roslaid, the last part of the fight... I think Aipom either got a 9000+ power level up, or it was actually frailer than it looked like (I mean, okay, it got blasted by its own fire attack, but...), because, for it to be punch THROUGH a tree and leave cracks on the wall is a bit too unrealistic, even for this.

Okay, something similar happened when Staravia attacked Gardenia's Turtwig, only it was more like branches than anything and it wasn't from kinetic launching.

But eh. Does anyone else think TR's appearance was like the one from Roark's battles, only lamer, since we knew Ash and co. would leave?

I won something. Click above to find out why.

So, Ash won? I have yet to see the pictures.
    Proud Member Of The The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club! ( Co-Owner )
    Join The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club!

[IMG]http://i4.*******.com/81jbbqx.png[/IMG]
    Credit Goes To Knight_Ram For This Trainer Card.

Xbox360 - Gamertag - Taniwha Ranger

^ Aren't you supposed to have seen the pics or eppy before you post here dude?

Very good battle. But the whole "blinded-by-an-attack-and-listening-to-counter" stratigies are getting moldy old Ash.

Loved the Aipom bow BTW.
    Monkeys are rather expensive :-|

I liked this better than the Roark battle. The entire battle was fair, with no cheap victories or anything. Poor Muku.JESUS got Leech Seeded right in the cranium, which we all know is its most delicate area. It may have sapped any functioning aspects remaining...
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Magical Leaf was avoided twice. Maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be :P

Nothing special about this one, just a normal battle with no emotion. Cherimbo vs Naetle was cheap and Naetle vs Naetle was cheap too. But Mukkubird was the worst, they are neglecting him. Aipom wining was horrible, I don't like Aipom at all. The FX were too artificial. And the TR plot was boring and took out the emotion of the battle,looked forced.

A bad epsiode after a great one...

ˇTiptug, the generic bug!HERE

Turtwig vs. Turtwig should have been more exciting... and Leaf Storm didn't look that powerful this time.
    Staravia won a gym battle! that's enough hapiness for one episode.
    Aipom's battle was the best so far. i guess there won't be any Aipom-Buizel trade after all. Aipom could show its contests skills while battling, that Swift attack surrounding Roserade was awesome.

This episode was alright. I'm glad Ash won the gym battle without TR messing it up. Thank goodness for Sinnoh Underground to keep TR busy. They should always do some underground digging when Ash battle the other 6 gym leaders for now on. It's bull how Magicial Leaf kept missing since it's accuracy is 100. And Starvia is pretty pathetic for losing against a grass-type.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaziryu View Post
    And Starvia is pretty pathetic for losing against a grass-type.
    It also won against a Grass type.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Kinético View Post
    Cherimbo vs Naetle was cheap and Naetle vs Naetle was cheap too.
    And how, exactly, were they cheap? I know that taking a dump on nearly every episode under the sun is apparantly the equivelent to some sort of passionate love affair for you, but the majority of the time your criticisms are far too random.

The grass! It was GREEN! It was unacceptable to my standards, which are apparently higher then all you "peons" who inhabit this lowly forum...ha, I spit on you all!

Anyway, sarcasm aside (along with personal allu...oh, y'know what? That was an obvious diss. ) I rather enjoyed this episode, it was a great Gym Battle and all of Ash's Pokemon who fought got a win in, which is good.

I also liked how they took advantage of the battlefield and sun, with Mukubird trapping Turtwig in a tree, Cherinbo being affected by the sun like it's evolved form, Roserade using Weather Ball (which looked like something out of Yu-Gi-Oh), and it viciously tripping Turtwig by manipulating the grass.

Speaking of Turtwig, even though it doesn't have a definite personality (besides being stubborn and tough, I guess), atleast it has some neato facial expressions and Miki provides it with a hillarious voice that I love. It also is a decent battler as well, and I'm glad it atleast isn't a loser and hollow shell like...some Pokemon...(Goldeen, Forretress, Noctowl).

Mukubird definately didn't get cheated out as I originally though. Defeating Cherubi, a man so evil hell spit him back out, was pretty neat and he put up a good fight against Turtwig. Although, he got mind-raped by that Leech Seed, sucking out what little sanity he had.

Aipom was also adorable, and his swift-combo was neat. I'm slightly confused as they seemed to be hinting at the "trade", but otherwise his Contest style of battle isn't hindering to Ash and the hug at the end makes me question if Ash would trade it to Dawn.

Roserade was neat too...especially it's FLAMING FIRE BLAST ATTACK YOUR LIFEPOINTS DIRECTLY Weather Ball and that tricky Grass Knot.

Oh, and that miner tricking Team Rocket was a nice B-Plot, because it was small and didn't hinder the battle any. Also, I'm sure he was voiced by the guy who did Magikarp Man, so that's cool. And it was a nod to you getting the Mining Kit in the game, so that was nice.

The only cons was the off-modelness especially hearing that Iwane apparently was suppose to do this, but the animation was pretty good during certain parts. However, I swear when Turtwig (Gardenia's) launched that Leaf Storm at one part it was reused from the previous fight (not counting the flashbacks) as the animation suddenly went up, but it doesn't matter too much as they've been doing stuff like this from Season 1 (remember how choppy they had Ash's "I CHOOSE YOU!" scene from like episode 3 used up through Johto?).

So yeah, nice episode...very...DRAMATIC!

I thought Roserade's vines were used for Grass Knot.

However, the real version is cool too.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    It also won against a Grass type.
    A rather pathetic one that was only threatening when it's ability was in play, not to mention it took Staravia three hits to beat it(was the quick attack necessary?), yet Gardenia had to recall it before since it couldn't stand up to a single razor leaf?

Turtwig vs Turtwig was alright, Aipom earned a small bit of respect for knocking roserade threw a tree and into the wall extremely hard, heh Roserade looked dead after it fainted and that made me even happier.

I was disapointed with Staravia in this episode, but I guess I expected it. It was nice to see the bird has got some power behind it though, and hopefully Ash will see this. Or the writers, who knows.

I thought Aipom Vs. Roserade was a brilliant battle, and has been my favourite Aipom battle so far. The little girl really has progressed.

Turtwigs win was inevitable, although it was a good battle I still found it fairly boring to tell the truth.

Animation was real good in this episode too, some of the best battle scenes in Sinnoh.

Good episode. I liked it.

Loved how Staravia went kamikaze on Cherubi's a** (who got one hell of a power up since the last battle). Of course, being God, coming out completely unscathed, then getting completely owned by a Leech Seed - Tackle combo. Only Staravia...

Aipom was good too, but I'm getting really tired of Swift and Focus Punch...

And the underground guy is totally moving in on Magikarp guy's territory of scamming Team Rocket, I hope the two of them fight to the death.

So if Staravia lose he's a bad pokemon and if he wins he's a bad pokemon too? Turtwig couldn't even handle Cherubi. Staravia lost without even getting a hit. He's a nice battler and I loved all that he did. Going high in the sky to dodge the Magical Leaf and then beating Cherubi's *** with his amazing Quick Attack. Everyone was great in this episode and even that Turtwig is not my favorite I have to agree that he was great.

Aipom stole my heart and becomes one of my favorite Ash's pokemon with Staravia, Swellow and Sceptile.

I hate the Underground in the games but I guess is nice that they presented it in this episode.

And I totally agree, the sky was too blue, Turtwig was too green and the grass too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaziryu View Post
    This episode was alright. I'm glad Ash won the gym battle without TR messing it up. Thank goodness for Sinnoh Underground to keep TR busy. They should always do some underground digging when Ash battle the other 6 gym leaders for now on. It's bull how Magicial Leaf kept missing since it's accuracy is 100. And Starvia is pretty pathetic for losing against a grass-type.
    I'm glad Team Rocket was kept busey too, though it would have been neat if they saw his victory some how. I loved Aipom's battle that rocked and was so happy Ash won the gym. I sense his winning streak comming back, this is one of my favorite episodes yet. And where was it hinted that Dawn/Ash were going to trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    So if Staravia lose he's a bad pokemon and if he wins he's a bad pokemon too? Turtwig couldn't even handle Cherubi. Staravia lost without even getting a hit. He's a nice battler and I loved all that he did. Going high in the sky to dodge the Magical Leaf and then beating Cherubi's *** with his amazing Quick Attack. Everyone was great in this episode and even that Turtwig is not my favorite I have to agree that he was great.

Aipom stole my heart and becomes one of my favorite Ash's pokemon with Staravia, Swellow and Sceptile.

I hate the Underground in the games but I guess is nice that they presented it in this episode.

And I totally agree, the sky was too blue, Turtwig was too green and the grass too.
    Let's hope the next gym is just as good.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Loved the Aipom vs Roserade battle. So THAT was Grass Knot? Interesting. Pity Nozomi wasn't around to see the Speed Star Circle Combination Crash in action.

Wonder if Aipom's going to get Screech and/or Agility. They're next on her Lvl up list.

You're a Snover. I'm a Fire-Type. This amuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
    And how, exactly, were they cheap? I know that taking a dump on nearly every episode under the sun is apparantly the equivelent to some sort of passionate love affair for you, but the majority of the time your criticisms are far too random.
    I don't understand what you said about the sun O.O

I think that the Naetle battle wqas cheap because whilst Mukkubird got KOed by a leech seed Naetle stayed strong even if it had battled before. The same goes with the bird loosing to a grass Pokemon, that tree thing was cheap.

Of course this are my opinions.

ˇTiptug, the generic bug!HERE

Sorry about my stupid post from before, that was extremely stupid of me!

Ummm, from what I saw on the site. This episode seemed like a great battle between Ash and the leader!

Aipom should have at least moved up a level after defeating Roserade!!
    Great to see that he didn't have to depend on Pikachu to win him a match.
    The Turtwig rematch was an ok one to see from the pictures, kind of confused me on what one was the victor though. Other than that, great battle!! 8.3/10

Hope to post again about the Dub version.
    Proud Member Of The The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club! ( Co-Owner )
    Join The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club!

[IMG]http://i4.*******.com/81jbbqx.png[/IMG]
    Credit Goes To Knight_Ram For This Trainer Card.

Xbox360 - Gamertag - Taniwha Ranger

I don't understand what you said about the sun O.O
    Like Cherubi, when you're under the sun it powers you up and allows you to dodge flames.

Or, basically Gravy is commenting on how the random complaining of episodes apparently is your job or something.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast