Thread: Shuckle EV spread

Default Shuckle EV spread

I made a topic regarding my bold (+defense / - attack) shuckles evs and moveset, but I can't find it, so I'm making a new one.

IVs
    30 HP
    14 DEF
    21 SP DEF

EV spread (in mind):
    172 HP
    168 DEF
    168 SP DEF

Moveset (in mind):
    Rest
    Toxic
    Sandstorm
    Gyro Ball

I remember that in the old topic, someone mentioned to not even bother with it's HP EVs. Why not?

They're wrong. They're going with the theory that a physical wall shouldn't bother with special defense EV's and taking it in the wrong direction. 252 HP EV's for shuckle is important/vital.
    in-game name: TREVIZE
    new DS, new friend code: 4940 2429 9002
    I can breed IV's, natures, and egg moves.

So I should put 252 in HP and divide the rest into DEF and SP DEF?

That's one possibility, although with a bold nature and shuckle's glaring water weakness, you could also go 252 HP and 252 special defense. Also, gyro ball, even with the huge speed difference between shuckle and its opponent, won't do much. Shuckle has no attack to back it up with.

So attacks like Gyro Ball depend on the user's attack? I thought it depends only on the opponents speed...

Also, Shuckle's also weak against rock and steel type attacks, and I don't want to completely ignore his DEF in regards of EVs. Plus, his DEF IVs are pretty low compared to his SP DEF IVs.

I'm not positive, but I do think it is partially dependant on the user's power. Steel type attacks are somewhat rare, as they have poor coverage. Also, the boost from the EV's will only be about 20 points higher than the boost from the nature. As for a replacement to gyro ball...maybe wrap, stealth rock, or dig...

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN Breeder Wally
    Also, the boost from the EV's will only be about 20 points higher than the boost from the nature.
    What does that mean (I'm still very new to EV training.)?

Also, I'll try to see if anyone knows if Gyro Ball is dependent on the user's power as well. If it is, do you think I should still stick with it?

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...6&postcount=10

And Gyro Ball is only dependent on the speed ratio between the users and not the power. It's not a worthwhile option on Shuckle as its attack is so low even at the maximum power it won't do anything. Read what I said on your last topic please.
    Gone.

http://psiumbreon.livejournal.com/82372.html

Quote Originally Posted by PsiUmbreon View Post
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...6&postcount=10

And Gyro Ball is only dependent on the speed ratio between the users and not the power. It's not a worthwhile option on Shuckle as its attack is so low even at the maximum power it won't do anything. Read what I said on your last topic please.
    ...but if Gyro Ball depends only on speed, then why would shuckle's low attack power matter?

Also, read the first line of the first post. The search thingy was broken when I tried to find it.

Ugh... I'm getting frustrated at this... I really don't know what to do... people on other forums are telling me to get rid of shuckle... Those that tell me to keep it say to give it power trick, but I don't want that... I'm so frustrated that I'm just about to give up on pokémon...

Shuckle MUST have 252 HP EVs in the same way that OU Blissey MUST have 252 Defense EVs. And I do recommend you give up on Shuckle. He is my fave Pokemon, but to be honest, he sucks in battling.

Oh, and are you Joltzero from gamefaqs?

I have a shuckle that I use in regular play for nostalgia's sake. I think rest and toxic are two almost essential skills for a shuckle given his highly defensive nature, but the gyro ball and sandstorms don't really have me stoaked. While his HP may not be stellar, 244 hp if you've got maxed out hp EVs and IV, really does make for a lot of survivability with his defenses. After all, a pokemons survivability is def (or sp def) times hp.

I personally like rollout with a trickroom setup on my shuckle. If you train him with a brave nature, you can get him as low as about 40 speed. This will make him a sure shot for first attack in trick room. That paired with a possible 130 attack makes for really good rollout usage. With that setup, rollout will usuaully kill the first pokemon on the 3rd hit, and then the 4th and 5th hits oneshot many pokemon. This setup also works really well with baton passing physical attack boosts as support making you be able to get your one shot kill on the 2nd hit.

As to the survivability, maxing out your lower stat always gives you more. Im shuckle's case, it is always HP. Also remember that defensive improvements work on a percentage basis. This means that giving a shuckle with 500 defense another 50 defense from EVs will only make him live 10% longer, on the other hand, giving a shuckle with 150 hp 50 more will make him live 33% longer.

I really do think shuckle can be a viable polemon in competative play as long as you know his limitations and have peopel in your team ready to cover those. He's also pretty good against a few of the more common uber set ups I've found.

Well, Shuckle gets 1HKOed by Surf Kyogre after no calm minds, but if you focus on one type of defense, rather than both equally, he may be able to survive a few psychics from Lugia or something. Ive never tried that. Also, Rollout eventually does do major damage if its combined with Defense Curl, and it can 1HKO Articuno and Moltres on its 2nd turn, but on an average Poke, it would take too long to do anything I think.

I was really planning on him to be a mixed wall. I should've posted this before, but I was planning on having a poke with Light Screen and Reflect holding whatever item it is that prolongs those moves, use them, then switch out to Shuckle.

"While his HP may not be stellar, 244 hp if you've got maxed out hp EVs and IV, really does make for a lot of survivability with his defenses. After all, a pokemons survivability is def (or sp def) times hp."

Well, his HP IV is 30, which is just 1 below maximum, so I think it'd be fine.

I doubt I'll get rid of rest and toxic, so rollout will kind of defeat the purpose of rest. Hmm... I could put toxic on the Light Screen/Reflect poke... I don't know...

BTW, yes, I am JoltZero from GFAQs. Where'd you see me on GFAQs?

EDIT: I calculated a hypothetical sitiuation to see how much (average) damage it would give to my potential shucky.

In a situation (with Shuckle and the opponent being at lv100) where the opponent with an (SP) ATT stat of 400 used a super effective move with 100 (SP) ATT power against my shucky (who will have about 550 in DEF and SP DEF), I'll recieve about 56 points of damage, givin that Light Wall and Reflect are in effect. That's pretty bad, seeing as I can only go up to 213 in HP.

Fortunately, I'll mostly be using this againt my friends, who think EV training has something to do with getting all the evolutions of Eevee . But if I ever get into a serious match, I'll be doomed. I wanna keep my Shucky!
    Last edited by JoltZero; 29th June 2007 at 5:11 AM. Reason: Avoid double posting

bumpsies...

Quote Originally Posted by JoltZero View Post
    BTW, yes, I am JoltZero from GFAQs. Where'd you see me on GFAQs?
    I think it was somewhere in the Pokemon Diamond forum.

Well, I figure getting 400 in (sp) attack would be pretty hard, and it'd still have to be super effective to take half my HP, which would be reduced to a quarter with Light Wall / Reflect, which could be made up for with rest. *takes deep breath* Ok, I'm sticking with shuckle. Now, could anyone PLEASE tell me why Gyro Ball would be a bad idea if shuckle's att power doesn't matter?!?

EDIT:Found this on GF:

Wrap
    Toxic
    Sandstorm
    Rest

Wrap traps them and whittles their HP a bit. Toxic whittles their HP, being able to reach it's potential since they can't switch out. Sandstorm whittles away at their HP while increasing Shuckle's godly Special Defense. Rest heals, and gives you a couple of turns where you don't need to use PP while their being worn down. Rest also gets rid of any Toxic they may have inflicted on you.

Sound good?
    Last edited by JoltZero; 1st July 2007 at 6:05 AM.

YES, Gyro Ball matters on your Attack AND opponents Speed. If you desperatly want it, Trick Room/Power Swap your Shuckle!!! Only problem is bad HP plus terrible defence = OUCHIES!!
    Proud member of the new Pokemon Battle Simulation Forums. We are looking for people to be Gym Leaders, Elite Members, and PBS Tower members. If you are interested, PM me for our Tournament to decide standings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    YES, Gyro Ball matters on your Attack AND opponents Speed. If you desperatly want it, Trick Room/Power Swap your Shuckle!!! Only problem is bad HP plus terrible defence = OUCHIES!!
    Ok, I didn't think attack mattered when Gyro Ball is being used. So now, GB is defenitely out of the picture.

Gyro Ball (this was a simplified version that helped me understand)

You have attacks in pkmn and each attack has three stats POWER, ACCURACY and PP.

eg.

Scratch
    Type: Normal
    Power: 35
    Acc: 100
    PP: 35

following so far?

Gyro Ball
    Type: Steel
    Power: Depends on Foes Speed (foes speed - your speed = power [i think])
    Acc: 90*
    PP: 10*

*cant remember

So with gyro ball the speed determines the actual power stat ie. flamethrower = 95 fire blast = 120 this is the stat the speed determines. Your shuckle then executes an attack of that strength so shuckle still needs a decent atatck stat to do damage...eg. a hitmonchan with a low special attack will do pitiful damage with ice beam, but using ice punch which is physical he does wonderfully ^_^

Hope it helps...=p

Trades, battles and help: angelic.griever@gmail.com