Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: The Rise of Darkai (10)

Alamos Town had the nicest buildings from any Pokemon movie I've seen lol, but Darkrai ended up being so whimpy so I didn't like him much.

So this was the beginning of Dp's film trilogy. Well I liked how Darkrai was misunderstood and how it was protective of Alice. Baron Alberto was funny as a Lickilicky hee hee and Oracion sounded nice. :3

My favorite Sinnoh movie mostly because I'm a hardcore Palkia fan and I was satisfied with how its fight with Dialga was handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu Fan Number Nine View Post
    To this day, this could be considered the only "horror" movie in the Pokemon movie catalog, given its supernatural themes.
    Doesn't each Pokemon movie have supernatural elements? This one was hyped, but the Dialga vs. Palkia thing went nowhere...

Rise of Darkrai is the first of the Sinnoh trilogy, the last one I watched (‘cause it makes so much sense to watch a trilogy in reverse), and IMO, is easily the best of the three. But “best” is relative, I’m afraid; this is a very uneven trilogy, both taken as a whole and as individual entries.

The opening with all the Pokemon previously featured in pokefilms was cool. The human CotDs are fleshed out and fun to watch, something I didn’t feel at all in Arceus and the Jewel of Life or Giratina and the Sky Warrior. Gaston - I mean, Alberto - is easily the most entertaining of the human “villains” this trilogy has to offer, though much like Revelation Lugia, the real antagonist of this film is discord between Legendaries rather than a single character. And, in the opening recap of the history of Pokemon and Ash’s journey that apparently became a standard feature of the movies at some point, they showed clips from Lugia, including Misty and Melody’s handshake as Misty prepares to go save her boy - sneaky pokeshipping nod FTW!

But every entry in this trilogy failed to make its featured Legendaries feel as powerful, intimidating, mythical, or impressive as the Mew Duo, Lugia and the Bird Trilogy, or Entei and the Unown. Darkrai had a simple but effective “brooding hero” thing going and Shaymin was well-defined if insufferable, but none of the Pokemon here made a character as captivating or involving as Lucario. And, both in the structure of the plots and in the staging of the action, all three of these movies feel less cinematic than earlier films, and more like extended episodes. It’s hard for me to express in words just what I mean by that; the best I can manage is that, while the stories of this trilogy tackle material that usually wouldn’t be dealt with in the series proper, there seems to be a certain formula to how the stories are laid out, like episodes of a TV show, making them feel rather repetitive and predictable. The scale and ambition of the directing seems oddly restrained, despite the bigger budgets available. And Darkrai and Giratina (not so much Arceus) felt rather padded, like sequences of Pokemon acting cute were jammed in to fill out the running time.

(And speaking of issues I had with the first two films and not with Arceus; I’ve seen all three films, read plot descriptions, and read re-tellings of these movies, but I just can’t get a good handle on why the Legendaries here are so ticked at each other and screwing up worlds. It’s very confusing to me.)

All these films share a common issue; not one I would say is the primary problem of any of them, but a curious problem nonetheless. And that problem is: Ash is just kind of there for all of them. Not just there in the way Brock is (poor guy; not that they treated him much better in any other movie, but he really has nothing to do in this trilogy). What I mean is - take a look at the plots of these movies. In Darkrai, Tonio is the one researching the odd goings-on in Alamos Town, Alice is the one who clues in on the song they need, and Darkrai is the one with a serious problem he’s trying to solve - the Legendaries being jerks. In Giratina, Shaymin’s the one with a goal she’s trying to reach, while Newton and Zero provide the human drama as researchers with competing visions and goals. And in Arceus, the relationship between Arceus and Damos serves as the main relationship, and the main source of conflict, while Damos’ descendants provide additional human drama.

Notice a pattern? In all three films, Ash and friends really have nothing to do with the main conflicts. They just stumble in, get caught up in the mess, and Ash ends up saving the day. In a way, Ash is the deus ex machina of this trilogy. He isn’t a contrived or unwelcome deus ex machina; he’s involved in each film from the beginning, plays off the other characters, and has an organic connection to the goings-on. But it’s a very different role for him when compared to his quest to rescue Pikachu and his parallels to Sir Aaron in the Mystery of Mew, or his desperation to save his mother in Spell of the Unown. And it’s a far cry from his going from a player in a festival to the Chosen One (or “Great Controller,” if like me you prefer the more ambiguous prophecy of the Japanese version) in Revelation Lugia.

Not that every Pokefilm needs to make Ash a mythical hero or go the “this time, it’s personal” route, but it is rather awkward to have your hero be essentially just a plot device for three films in a row, three films tied together as a trilogy no less.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920