Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top-Down Training (508)

Default Top-Down Training (508)

Champion Cynthia Appears!

On their way to the next town, Ash & Co. meet up with Cynthia, the Pokémon Champion of Sinnoh while they are investigating some ruins. Paul appears soon after and is eager to challenge Cynthia to a battle. Will Paul manage to stand his ground against the Champion or will he be easily defeated?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

I still have to watch this episode, yet it seems to me that this is one of the best ones DP has offered yet. The discovery that Paul isn't a beginning trainer, the debut of his three other Pokemon, coupled with Cynthia's appearance, puts this in my pile of DP favorites.

FC: 3180-5269-0929

Man I can't wait to watch this episode! It has revealed us so much about Paul,and plus we see the awesomness of Shirona. <3
    Proud Aaron fan!
    ---

|
    Name: ALSATIA|FC:1074-7949-3685|

Cynthia owned 4 of Shinji's pokemon with just Garchomp so She is prbly the stronger then Lance.This is my favorite episode so far in the series.
    Manga's I'm up to date with.

Spoiler:- undefined:

Catching up to

Hunter x Hunter
    Battle Tendency
    Eyeshield 21

Just a quick note before I head off to bed:

Croagunk stopping in the middle of his Poison Stabbing of Brock and looking sheepish afterwards was GOLD!

My El Jay
    Used-to-be-President of the Eeveelution Evolution club

Currently on hiatus from this place. [Insert witty remark here.]

Quite possibly my favourite Sinnoh episode?

I mean first we got Paul being an experience trainer, with a Torterra! And seeing his Weavile and Murkrow, and how he actually cared for his stornger Pokémon. Not to mention the fact that his disregard for Chimchar was highly focused on towards the latter of this episode, which does open up the possibility that it may be released at some point; something I thought was never going to happen before.

Next we have Cynthia. Do I need to expand on this one? Cynthia & Garchomp FTW. Plus the cameo of her beating Lucien.

Great animation IMO, some brilliant battle scenes and just overall an amazing episode. Kudos to the writers.

THIS EPISODE IS FULL OF EPICNESS AND WIN.

From what I've heard, it even tops "Mutiny in the Bounty", IMO.

And it got the longest speculation thread in the Anime Spoilers section, 35 pages long, most of it being about Torterra and whether it was Paul's. (For those of you who haven't been to the speculation thread, it is.)

EAT YOUR KEYBOARD!

This is on my list of episodes that I'm going to watch when they come out in the USA.
    ColosseumShipping (Wes x Rui) claimed by me. Other claimed ships: FortuneShipping (Lucas x Dawn). I also support RangerShipping, HoennShipping, and AccidentialShipping.
    This cake is great, it's so delicious and moist.
    Quote Originally Posted by A friend
    So if you put Giratina and Arceus in the daycare together, will the daycare man say something like, "The two Pokemon are completely ignoring each other"? Or will he say "The two Pokemon are trying to kill each other! Oh, deary me! THEY'RE KILLING THE POOR BUNEARIES! SAVE THE BUNEARIES! OH DEARY ME!"

So I watched this so-called "EPIC" episode, and while "Epic" may be a bit of an exaggeration, it was a good one nevertheless. About on-par with the Lucian episode. My primary disappointment was that Shinji hardly put up a fight. I have no problem with Shirona taking four of Shinji's Pokemon down with one, being the champion and all, but if he is indeed an experienced trainer, I'd like to have see him get a few more hits in.

However, as a character-building episode, this was solid. Shinji is still the arrogant jerk we've come to know and love, but we learned a fair bit more about him here. He may be a dick to the people around him, but he still cares for his Pokemon, even if he has a rigid way of showing it. It seems as if the writers are opening up Shinji's character gradually instead of all at once, which brings greater mystery to his character.

And yes, Croagunk was definitely the humor highlight of the episode. Although, I wouldn't say the animation was that good, especially when compared to the previous episode. Shirona's interest in the orbs at the end may hint into a future appearance by her in the Dialga/Palkia arc.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

This episode was worth the wait! What was Shinji saying about the other regions? Has he been to them before?

(but who uses Blizzard and Ice Beam on a Weavile? >__>)
    Last edited by Lounging Mightyena; 20th July 2007 at 1:27 AM.

Pearl Wi-Fi: Myuu 0688-0655-1239
    Credit to water_warlord for the user bar.

but who uses Powder Snow
    It was blizzard.... then again the two attacks sound very similar

I'll post more later.
    There was a little fanservice in this episode.... Shinji hair blowing type of fanservice
    Stopped me dead in my tracks

btw, I translated like all of the attacks that Shinji shouted so that's why I was able to confirm it being blizzard and not powder snow.

edit
    While I was watching this episode, I was on bulbagarden's chat, so I commented as I watched
    The post is separated into spoilers, where the chat is contained. The chat is long but not that long

I loved this episode. It was ten.... no twenty different levels of cool.
    Shinji was hot
    Also, if anyone has free time, I'd like to have Shinji's dialogue when he talks about Houen, Johto and Kanto, in Japanese, not translated.
    I also kinda want most of his lines written in Romaji.... but the first is more wanted.

Spoiler:- part 1:

Spoiler:- part 2:

Spoiler:- part 3:
    Last edited by Crystal Clair; 20th July 2007 at 1:55 AM.

Holy Sh!t the Torterra is really Paul's. Wow, he is just as an experienced trainer as Ash. Can somebody give me a summary on a bit of the episoded and how he mistreated Chimchar, and was treating his other pokemon nice?

Oh and was Elekid in this episode.

And did we find out what happened to his Ursurang

Can't wait to see his bio tomorow! Joe, can you do it ASAP?

Apparently Paul didn't want to win, he merely wanted to test out strategies on Garchomp. Speaking of Garchomp, nice to see his Fold Up mode the Pokedex goes on and on and on about.

And Lucien, Dialga's Beach Volleyball, and the Sinnoh Now! all cameo'd. And Bronzong!

And Silver in the manga had Ursaring, Sneasel, and Murkrow...0.o
    Parallel's are endless.

And now maybe the "Ash'll get Chimchar" will be decimated.

Saw the episode and it's one of my favorite episodes to date. I only wish that someone would give us a word for word translation of Shinji's "backstory" and the shinji/paul argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatsy
    Croagunk stopping in the middle of his Poison Stabbing of Brock and looking sheepish afterwards was GOLD!
    LOL, that's pretty cute.^_^

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

Finally Murkrow appears. Paul got Shoop da Wooped by Cynthia. I love it.

I loved this episode but what i fing odd is that shinji did not compete in the indigo, johto, hoenn league what so ever. Was he collecting badges and decided to train or what? and what i don't get is how do you start in sinnoh but ned up in kanto? How does that happen?

The World God Only knows

How exactly did Paul get Chimchar? He made comments on Weavile/Murkrow, which probably meant he caught them both in Johto, but I did not make out where he got Chimchar. I felt kinda bad for it though, it really makes me wonder what will happen to the poor chimp. So cute when handled by Shirona.

What attacks did Garchomp use?
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Good episode. I was practically begging Ash to punch Paul (with my mind) when he was scolding Chimchar.

Giga Impact still looks like a purple wave of meh, if any attack needs some CGI-augmentation, its that one. Funny how Elekid wasn't there after everyone saying he was Paul's Pikachu.

I'm willing to join the camp that says Paul will abandon Chimchar, it makes so much sense and his team is already so choppy and inconsistent at this point. Pauls's got Torterra, so the whole "three separate character gets only one starter of the region" thing is already out the window.

Ash taking in a tortured Chimchar and inviting it to open up to him would make up for Turtwig's lack of character.

Quote Originally Posted by P13 View Post
    Good episode. I was practically begging Ash to punch Paul (with my mind) when he was scolding Chimchar.

Giga Impact still looks like a purple wave of meh, if any attack needs some CGI-augmentation, its that one. Funny how Elekid wasn't there after everyone saying he was Paul's Pikachu.

I'm willing to join the camp that says Paul will abandon Chimchar, it makes so much sense and his team is already so choppy and inconsistent at this point. Pauls's got Torterra, so the whole "three separate character gets only one starter of the region" thing is already out the window.

Ash taking in a tortured Chimchar and inviting it to open up to him would make up for Turtwig's lack of character.
    Turtwig does have personality, it's just most of the screentime for Ash's Pokemon usually goes to Pikachu or Aipom. I agree though, Paul owning two starters, mainly the one Ash might get in the future does sort of leave a lot of confusion.

An abridged version of my reactions from my LJ...

Spoiler:- It's still long for an abridged version:

Best ep ever. It'll take alot to top this (possibly better animation?). All they needed was to add Baku, Natane, Hyouta and her Roserade to the ep and I'd be melting from over fangirling.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Trainer View Post
    Turtwig does have personality, it's just most of the screentime for Ash's Pokemon usually goes to Pikachu or Aipom. I agree though, Paul owning two starters, mainly the one Ash might get in the future does sort of leave a lot of confusion.
    I wouldn't blame it on the screen-time, Pokemon with a minuscule percentage of Turtwig's screen-time have way more interesting character traits. Sure he has a personality, but its not an interesting enough one to warrant any screen-time.

I mean Chimchar has got to be by far Paul's least favorite Pokemon that he hasn't already released yet. Why should a Pokemon he only sees as a weakling stand apart from those Starly and Stantler? And unless in a future episode it is revealed otherwise, he seems to have no emotional attachment to it.

The facts are all there, but.... we all know Sinnoh has given us some interesting turnarounds in the past...

Awesome episode, can honestly say i was surprised when Paul didn't take his pokemon to the pokemon center, and Cynthia was just awesome.

Anyway, what do the unown ruins translate to? I have the Japanese message as: FRIEND
    SUBETE NO INOCHI HA
    BETSU NO INOCHI TO DEAI
    NANIKA WO UMIDASU

I think it has something to do with the space time legend.

70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries (also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature!
    (^started by SapphireL!)

Dang, Paul is so unpredictable, he has.. Torterra? o.O;;

And I also heard that Chimchar is NOT his starter, Turtwig is

i'm in shock e-electric shock!

{ twitter // tumblr // shop // credit to f(x) }

Prehaps the reason Pauls keeping Chimchar is because he knows somebody who has one and it was able to take down his Turtwig.. For all we know Paul could have loads of rivals, and being beaten by them could be what makes him so bitter.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast