Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Top-Down Training (508)

Well, I saw it. Cynthia was really good. I laughed at her spending all that time picking an ice cream. But Garchomp was way cool. I still remember every move it used.

Dig= Chimchar
    Dragon Rush= Weavile
    Giga Impact= Murkrow
    Brick Break= Torterra.

I don't get Ash stopping those kids from laughing at Paul. Just let the guy get insulted. he deserves it!
    [CENTER]

Credit for the banner goes to Kamotz

Well, I saw it. Cynthia was really good. I laughed at her spending all that time picking an ice cream. But Garchomp was way cool. I still remember every move it used.

Dig= Chimchar
    Dragon Rush= Weavile
    Giga Impact= Murkrow
    Brick Break= Torterra.

I don't get Ash stopping those kids from laughing at Paul. Just let the guy get insulted. he deserves it!
    [CENTER]

Credit for the banner goes to Kamotz

It shows that Ash at least has some respect in his rival.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Probably the dodgiest title in the history of the show.

I don't really have a lot to say about this episode, other than Paul put up a great battle against Cynthia, and it was interesting to see more comparisons of his style versus Ash's style. It makes me glad once again that Paul only had Chimchar for a little while longer. I like the twerps' reaction to finding out Paul still had ursaring too.

Apart from that, though, it's not that memorable apart from the title and Paul.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/18 NEW!! 12/23
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

I loved this episode why CYNTHIA Thats why
    Garchomp was so awesome. I can't help feel bad for Chimchar. Paul actully cared for Chimchar (abit like 5 seconds after it was captured) But anyways great episode. Favourite part was when Cythia had a hard time choose her Ice Cream :P

Pokemon Ranger Dan
    The New Ranger From Hoeen
    That Was turned into a Pokemon once... Than Turned Back Into A Human To Become A Ranger.
    Styler Level: 33
    On Mission: 14: Get The Yellow Gem!
    Credits To Sweet May For The Banner

That just shows that Paul has a long way until he could beat Cynthia.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    That just shows that Paul has a long way until he could beat Cynthia.
    Yea good point he does. I really wonder if ash will battle her highly dought it

Pokemon Ranger Dan
    That Was turned into a Pokemon once... Than Turned Back Into A Human To Become A Ranger.

In the past he did battle elite four members. He just has to get stronger,.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Yes good point but I mean like in finals and stuff
    Back on topic When one life mets another life something is born. I think she was talking about Chimchar because it was with Ash and Paul making and Rivaly thats is just my theory

Pokemon Ranger Dan

Nah, it seems to be more of a rivalry being born.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Cynthia was great in this episode. One of my favourite parts was when she struggled to decide on an ice-cream flavour in front of a very bemused Team Rocket. Her Garchomp's very strong too, Paul barely left a mark on it with four Pokemon against it. Ash's reaction to the fact that Paul had captured Ursaring was great too, and how Paul's released Chimchar would later beat the Ursaring.

I really liked Cynthia's apperance and personality, episode was great and from it, I started to like Paul...
    Nah, in that when Paul was beaten buy Cynthia and those peapole who watched started to laugh at him, I don't think Ash was going to protect him ONLY because he's sorry of Paul. He's weaker trainer than him too, so he don't felt well at this moment...

Ash weaker than Paul? I don't think so. Paul's too lazy too be a good trainer; he has no interest in creating strong Pokemon, just having them be strong from the start. No skill involved in that.

No, Ash stopped the little brats because Paul had every right to challenge Cynthia and those kids were being obnoxious.

The part that got me was Cynthia forcing Paul to bring his Pokemon to the Pokemon Center. Before that I'd just thought of Paul as a jerk; when it was shown he didn't get his Pokemon treated after a battle and just let them sit around with their injuries, he crossed the line into abuser. You can make all the excuses you like, but it won't change the fact that Paul's behavior would get him arrested in the real world. And while there are certain things I'll accept from fictional characters that I wouldn't tolerate in real people, abusive behavior is not one of them.
    Walk a little further off the beaten path
    And we’ll drive on even if we get there last
    Our backs against the wall and we will lunge and bite
    And we’ll rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light
    Here And Now by Great Big Sea

My shinies-

Cynthia proved why she's the Sinnoh champion, she kicked *** with just her Garchomp.

Paul didn't stand a chance.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

wow i really like it that Cynthia was in an episode...i knew she would won from Paul
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

I loved this episode soley because Cynthia was in it, wish we had gotten to see more of her Pokemon but I did like seeing Garchomp. Hope to see her again
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

Oh, Serebii numbering system, how I loathe thee. Thou hath defiled my sanity and thou shalt be cursed to the flames from which thy came.

Seriously, I don't know what "DP040" is according to this anthology numbering, and since I can't remember dub titles, I have to click at random and hope the right episode pops up. Anyways, this is our Shirona debut, and by golly, she'd actually go on to make subsequent appearances unlike Mr. Stone. Appalling, kick-in-the-nuts animation aside, this is a solid debut. I do wish Shinji's match was a little longer seeing as how he apparently had gone through three other regions, even against the regional champion. That said, it's great to finally get that tidbit of information about Shinji. No, it didn't stop people from whining about Pikachu tieing with Elekid, but at least it made a bit more sense to us reasonable people.

Tha battle is basically a showcase for each trainer's Pokemon, with no real enticing battle direction. But outside the battle, this episode is pretty interesting. We learn a lot about not only Shirona and Shinji, but about the Sinnoh legends. We also get some further development and foreshadowing for Hikozaru, who nears its tipping point under Shinji. I'm glad we also got another glipse of Goyou, solidifying what we learned in his respective episode about Elite 4 and Champion challenges. TR didn't thrill me here, but at least they provided some Hikozaru moments.

B+
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

This was a great episode. Cynthia pwned Paul with just Garchomp! She is denfinetly the champ. Only Torterra really stood a chance against Garchomp, until it lost.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:

Spoiler:- Claimed Anime Songs/Anime List:

i understand why paul put chimchar up against garchomp even though it was stupid but it would have blasted away with team rocket if it didnt think fast. paul is something else if you ask me....
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

this was paul's first lose, i think. Garchomp and Torterra's battle was great, this was the battle of the 2 strongest Sinnoh's area pokemon, but Torterra's moves was too slow.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

Cynthia is the best champion after Lance ofcourse.

My ideal battle ever!

Wow Cynthia debuts and there is a battle between her and Paul? Unreal, this isn't something I was used to seeing in the Pokemon anime so I was super happy to see the regional Champion so soon! This was one of the best DP episodes in my opinion. I really like how we met Paul's other Pokemon. Before, everyone thought he was a newbie trainer but that turned out to be false. Loved Cynthia in the anime and I loved seeing Paul getting his butt handed to him for once. 10/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 7th November 2010 at 11:46 PM.

This episode was very good. Cynthia's debut was great, although I wanted to see more of her team other than Garchomp, and her and Paul's battle was good, even though it was extremely one-sided. I didn't like how Paul didn't want to heal his pokemon after the battle, what a D-Bag thing to do. I also hated how he blamed Chimchar for GETTING KIDNAPPED WHILE IT WAS SLEEP! ridiculous. Oh well, besides Paul's D-Baggery, this episode was really good.

I liked the way Cynthia and her Garchomp debuted, and she owned Paul. This has to be one of my favorite quotes in Pokemon:

James: Look, a gang of twerps.
    Meowth: And that top of the line trainer babe!
    8.5/10

Very sorry about yesterday, if anyone actually reads these. I do match reporting for another site, and I was pretty tired yesterday to do thinking posts. Actually feel rather ill right now. But I'll make it through this.

Okay, skipping some more reviews. Dp 38 is Happiny's hatching from Brock's egg that he won from the dress-up competition, and Dp 39 is a filler episode.

I consider this episode to be for sure one of the 2 most defining episodes in the dp anime (I want to say there are 3, but considering how lackluster Ash's first Sinnoh league battle was, I'm not so sure about the third one now). Cynthia's introduction is amazing and unforgettable: she's shown on a tv station trouncing Lucian, the elite 4 member that showed up a few episodes ago to help/boss Dawn with her Buizel troubles. I admit, I tend to dislike people who have Lucian's personality, but goodness, it's quite a sight to see a member of the elite 4 being put in his place. By definition in the pokemon anime, being a member of the elite 4 has basically meant you're untouchable and your philosophy about battling is righteous and perfect. Cynthia's demolition of Lucian establishes a power scale of comparison for the first time; there's the elite 4, and then there's the champion, who is a big step up. And also, the fact that a member of the elite 4 would actually challenge the champion makes the members feel more humane. They do have ambitions and do overestimate their skill. Fantastic idea from the writers to show this.

Cynthia is also pretty likable, too. She spends the entire morning at Team Rocket's ice cream place trying to decide what she wants, which is humorous and fun. She has a aura of confidence about her, but she doesn't take things too seriously and doesn't interfere if she doesn't have to. In contrast to Lucian who volunteers himself to help Dawn with her training, Cynthia notes that there's a bit of a rivalry b/w Paul and Ash but does not make any unjust comments or favor one guy over the other (beyond telling Paul to get treatment for his pokemon, and that was only out of concern for Paul's pokemon; Ash actually makes the same mistake when he meets Cynthia next time).

Oh yeah, Paul is in this episode! He challenges Cynthia, and during the battle he shows a pokemon that changes everything: Torterra. The impression up to this pt had been that Paul was a newbie trainer from Sinnoh, with his strongest pokemon maybe being his Elekid. Not so. Paul is an experienced trainer, and that completely changes the ball game for the dp anime. It's another fantastic idea from the writers, b/c it creates a contrast, and yet parallel b/w Ash's and Dawn's stories. Ash, someone who has been to many regions, has a rival who has done the same; Dawn, who is just starting out, has her main rival (Zoey) in the same boat she's in. This is one of reasons the Sinnoh storyline has been exciting to watch, as it has Dawn's storyline to attract new viewers while maintaining and growing Ash's character for the viewers who have been here awhile. I really wonder what the writers will try to do next region with regards to this? I don't think I could watch another story where Ash starts over and is completely reset; I need to see him keep his same skill set and continue to improve. Alot of things depend on how the Sinnoh league turns out for Ash, that's for sure. To bring this back into the context of this episode, one thing that is interesting and a little frustrating in Paul's battle with Cynthia that Paul actually uses a strategy and gets Cynthia where he wants. But it fails, not b/c Paul's tactics are flawed, but b/c Garchomp is just too powerful. If Ash resets his pokemon every region, how will his pokemon ever have the needed exp/power to compete with a champion whose pokemon are that strong? Tactics can only do so much. At some pt, it'll get disturbing to see Ash lose not b/c he's a poor trainer with bad strategies, but b/c his pokemon don't have the needed strength. It's up to the writers to always keep Ash improving as a trainer if this show is to remain interesting. I wonder what they'll do next region....

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast