Thread: How exactly can I tell if I bought a counterfeit game or not?

Default How exactly can I tell if I bought a counterfeit game or not?

I ask because I bought a copy of Emerald on eBay last week and it came in the mail today but something seems very off. The game functions and saves data but upon pressing start to get to the continue or new game screen, a message that says, "The previous save file will be loaded. The game can be played," pops up before the selection menu appears. And when I tried to do the dual slot wild Pokémon feature in the Old Chateau to get a Gengar in Pearl, nothing happened. I kept getting Gastly. The plastic of the game is transparent like the other Hoenn games and even the engraved portion where the game connects to the system looks legit and the label is very shiny. It looks like it's missing the battery but everything looks normal. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned or not. The game's programming seems to work perfectly well and nothing in game seems to indicate it's a fake but the loading message makes me wonder. I hope I put this in the right place.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

If you didn't get it from an authorized retailer, such as Walmart, EB Games, or GameStop, there's a 50% chance it's a counterfeit.

Ok. So what else should I look for? I'm not too concerned with the price because I paid $14 for the game so if it is fake I didn't lose that much money. And I bought it mainly to play the game itself. Transferring Pokémon was an added bonus.

Look up what the official label looks like, sometimes the different logos (like the Original Nintendo seal of quality) can be in the wrong place or misshapen.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jigglypuff View Post
    I ask because I bought a copy of Emerald on eBay last week and it came in the mail today but something seems very off. The game functions and saves data but upon pressing start to get to the continue or new game screen, a message that says, "The previous save file will be loaded. The game can be played," pops up before the selection menu appears.
    This is not something a legitimate game does. It's a known tell for fake cartridges. Everything else - cartridge, label, circuit board - is just a matter of manufacturing, no matter how legitimate it looks.

If you bought it off eBay it is very possible, perhaps even probable, that it's counterfeit. The popularity of these games at their height, the continued demand for them on the secondary market, the scarcity of legitimate cartridges plus the ease with which counterfeits can be produced and sold via user-supported marketplaces with nary a check or balance all equal a secondary market that is rife with piracy, sold via marketplaces that have little to no recourse for getting a refund when you find you've been sold fake trash.

Ultimately, don't buy such games off eBay or Amazon Marketplace. The chances you will find a legitimate cartridge at a reasonable price are outweighed considerably by the far greater odds of being sold a fake.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Well I think it might be fake because there aren't any numbers imprinted above the Nintendo Seal. But everything else looks real. This is a really impressive looking fake! But I bought it just to play the game itself so no big dea. I also bought LG but that is most likely real because I could see part of the imprinted number right above the seal and the plastic was the right shade of green inn the pic.

Its good I read this thread o.O;; I considered getting an old copy of emerald on ebay someday...lol....I guess thats a bad idea huh?
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

I made this blingee of one of the most awesome pokemon EVER :3
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jigglypuff View Post
    Well I think it might be fake
    Again, it's definitely fake. The start up message about loading save files is a known tell of counterfeits.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyTriox View Post
    I guess thats a bad idea huh?
    As this thread articulates, it is a terrible idea. You are ultimately far more likely to pay your hard earned money for counterfeit crap than you are to find a legitimate, working copy at a reasonable price.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Look inside the opening of the cartridge, if it says copyright 2002 Nintendo it's probably real, if it says copyright and then the Nintendo LOGO with no year it's fake.

It shouldn't say "The previous save file will be loaded. The game can be played" at the beginning. If it does then its probably a fake. It will also at some point probably say "the save file has been deleted" and your save data will be gone forever. In my case that save file included the first shiny I ever caught, and I'm still bitter. Even though Shiny Mankey looks awful and it was bashful nature.

I must say; this thread makes me feel quite a bit better about accidentally deleting my whole sapphire file now o__O;;; I have the game free to restart as many times as I please now. As long as it keeps working (i did try to break it and stuff when i was first upset about deleting the file...lol....>.<;;; )
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

I made this blingee of one of the most awesome pokemon EVER :3
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too