View Poll Results: Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

    14 27.45%
  • No...

    30 58.82%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

    7 13.73%
Page 1518 of 2321 FirstFirst ... 518141814681508151415151516151715181519152015211522152815681618 ... LastLast
Results 37,926 to 37,950 of 58020

Thread: >>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

  1. #37926

    Default

    Yes i hate it when they have more than idk hundreds of wins and disconnect when they lose. As if it were a big deal to lose.
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

    Credit to Sworn Metalhead

  2. #37927
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lala Land!
    Posts
    917

    Default

    boring. there are many threads like this before.

    too bad it is cheating but nobody cares as alot of people do this anyway.
    I am a double specialist. 3DS FC: 2878 9875 2043 and my friend safari consists of Shuppet, Phantump and Dusclops. Feel free to add my FC and please message me yours too! Greenwich Mean Time+8

    "I battle to have fun, thus I battle to lose." (sizida's philosophy)


    Thanks dratinitamer for the kickbutt siggy!

  3. #37928
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia NSW Sydney
    Posts
    319

    Default

    I'm pretty RNGing was programmed in the game

  4. #37929
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Yes, it is cheating. Attempting to say it's not cheating is just rationalizing it to make yourself feel better.

    "I moved my Monopoly piece forward two squares when nobody was looking, but I didn't use an action replay so it's totally okay"
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    You say my ideas are harmful to society, I say you're going to hell.
    Theists - spreading intolerance and hate since 4000 BC

  5. #37930
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Sorry if there are others like this, didn't see one so I just wanted to ask. If someone could please point me in the right direction to an already existing one, that would be great... Thanks.

  6. #37931

    Default

    You know, I'm really becoming sick of seeing this topics. Everybody who claims it's cheating, rarely has a decent argument as to why it is as well. They're usually the ones who don't know how to do it either.

    I expect this topic won't be any different.

  7. #37932
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    192

    Default

    I don't think there would be a point in having a 'random number generator' if it could be made to be unrandom in a legal way. Thus I see RNG as illegitimate (Also in the same way that I see cloning as illegitimate).
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Using UU/RU Pokemon in ways that doesn't actually take advantage of some REAL niche in OU is like letting a horse poop on your chest; then when people ask why you let it do that you defend yourself by saying "well now I have all this horse poop", ignoring everyone who tries to reason with you that this isn't really a good thing either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Best. Analogy. Ever.

  8. #37933
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Black City
    Posts
    7,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chimp891 View Post
    I'm pretty RNGing was programmed in the game
    Oh, don't get all technical. Intentional abuse of the RNG is just as bad as using an Action Replay. You're exploiting the programming to get the best Pokemon possible without so much as a fraction of the effort it would normally entail.

    I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

    Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

    Fizzy Bubbles info

  9. #37934
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    1,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    You know, I'm really becoming sick of seeing this topics. Everybody who claims it's cheating, rarely has a decent argument as to why it is as well.

    I expect this topic won't be any different.
    Yeah, that's how i expect it to turn out.

  10. #37935
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Inside a tights shop.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    People thinking RNG is cheating are plain ignorant. Get your facts right.

    Cheating involves tampering with the games' coding in some way or another, usually with external software or hardware.

    RNGing involves using external software to predict when will the game generate a flawless and/or shiny pokémon by itself. kthxbai.
    Guess I'm good at RNGing stuff.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/ekkuat.jpg[/IMG]
    Trainer sprite by me. PM me if you want a Gen V shiny and/or flawless pokémon, I'll RNG it for you. :3

  11. #37936
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Potato
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Let's see... To RNG means to mathematically produce the circumstances necessary to obtain shinies and perfect Pokémon in a time-efficient manner and within the legal parameters of the game.

    It's a grey area in my opinion. It's nothing more than a shortcut for people good with math. I could care less.

  12. #37937
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Ok people if you don't like the thread then don't post on it. I just never saw a thread like this before and so I wanted to ask because I was thinking of using one and was wondering what people thought about it in terms of cheating or not. Clearly this has been discussed and I'm sure it will turn into a flame war, but I was just curious.

  13. #37938
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Inside a tights shop.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    EternalSword, you don't need to be good at math to RNG. You just need to be good at pressing "A" at specific times.
    Guess I'm good at RNGing stuff.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/ekkuat.jpg[/IMG]
    Trainer sprite by me. PM me if you want a Gen V shiny and/or flawless pokémon, I'll RNG it for you. :3

  14. #37939
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladykiwi View Post
    People thinking RNG is cheating are plain ignorant. Get your facts right.

    Cheating involves tampering with the games' coding in some way or another, usually with external software or hardware.

    RNGing involves using external software to predict when will the game generate a flawless and/or shiny pokémon by itself. kthxbai.
    That's like saying it's fine to stack the deck in a poker game, and the only way to cheat is to put extra cards in the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    You say my ideas are harmful to society, I say you're going to hell.
    Theists - spreading intolerance and hate since 4000 BC

  15. #37940
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Inside a tights shop.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Your analogy makes no sense whatsoever.
    Guess I'm good at RNGing stuff.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/ekkuat.jpg[/IMG]
    Trainer sprite by me. PM me if you want a Gen V shiny and/or flawless pokémon, I'll RNG it for you. :3

  16. #37941
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A d v e n t™ View Post
    You know, I'm really becoming sick of seeing this topics. Everybody who claims it's cheating, rarely has a decent argument as to why it is as well. They're usually the ones who don't know how to do it either.

    I expect this topic won't be any different.

    Thank you. Seriously, all of these threads about how rng abuse is 'cheating' are becoming rather stupid, and annoying. As A d v e n t mentioned, everyone claims that it's cheating, but yet, no one can actually rationalize how it is cheating. Cheating implies that you're somehow altering the games coding with an external device, such as an action replay. However, rng abuse doesn't require the use of any external devices, which means it's not cheating. Seriously, most of the people who say it's cheating don't even actually understand how rng abuse actually works. Literally all it is is starting your game at a specific time, and date. How is that cheating? It may be considered 'unethical', but it is in no way cheating.

  17. #37942
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 11tjcoulombe View Post
    Thank you. Seriously, all of these threads about how rng abuse is 'cheating' are becoming rather stupid, and annoying. As A d v e n t mentioned, everyone claims that it's cheating, but yet, no one can actually rationalize how it is cheating. Cheating implies that you're somehow altering the games coding with an external device, such as an action replay. However, rng abuse doesn't require the use of any external devices, which means it's not cheating. Seriously, most of the people who say it's cheating don't even actually understand how rng abuse actually works. Literally all it is is starting your game at a specific time, and date. How is that cheating? It may be considered 'unethical', but it is in no way cheating.
    So, doing something the game designers didn't intend for you to be able to do, allowing you to easily obtain things that are supposed to be rare, utilizing a method that you yourself describe as "unethical".

    Okay. Right. Gotcha. Totally legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    You say my ideas are harmful to society, I say you're going to hell.
    Theists - spreading intolerance and hate since 4000 BC

  18. #37943

    Default

    ...

    I'll take the bait.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero View Post
    Yes, it is cheating. Attempting to say it's not cheating is just rationalizing it to make yourself feel better.
    Anybody who insists that it is cheating and presents literally no credible evidence as to why it is, just screams a purist who probably doesn't like to see their hard work being replicated in mere minutes.

    "I moved my Monopoly piece forward two squares when nobody was looking, but I didn't use an action replay so it's totally okay"
    Terrible analogy, Action Replay is a peripheral and external device that directly influences the game. With RNG you literally just find out the time and criteria something in particular happens in game and with a clock/stopwatch hit that particular target. Not only that, everything you get via RNG is perfectly possible to obtain via standard play.

    Quote Originally Posted by girazard View Post
    I don't think there would be a point in having a 'random number generator' if it could be made to be unrandom in a legal way. Thus I see RNG as illegitimate (Also in the same way that I see cloning as illegitimate).
    Problem with this is, the RNG isn't actually "random" to begin with. It just spouts pseudo random numbers in a particular pattern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Oh, don't get all technical. Intentional abuse of the RNG is just as bad as using an Action Replay.
    How? Does RNG alter the odds like AR does? No.

    You're exploiting the programming to get the best Pokemon possible without so much as a fraction of the effort it would normally entail.
    Exploiting =/= cheating. How much effort you put into something versus a method that drastically reduces the time doesn't quite correlate with "illegitimate".

    Edit:
    So, doing something the game designers didn't intend for you to be able to do, allowing you to easily obtain things that are supposed to be rare, utilizing a method that you yourself describe as "unethical".
    How do you know this? Do you think Game Freak gave us these ridiculous ways to advance frames, deduce our Secret ID, press poketch apps, flip Journal pages all for nothing? Funny how most of the ways to RNG are actually methods you'd never want to do if you didn't actually know how to do it.
    Last edited by Sonikku za Hejjihoggu; 25th January 2012 at 4:35 AM.

  19. #37944
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia NSW Sydney
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Listen I dont RNG but idk if its hacking or simple coding in the game. i think this should be locked :P fights will break out :O

  20. #37945
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Inside a tights shop.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero View Post
    So, doing something the game designers didn't intend for you to be able to do, allowing you to easily obtain things that are supposed to be rare, utilizing a method that you yourself describe as "unethical".

    Okay. Right. Gotcha. Totally legit.
    Lmao dude there's a reason IV/PID frames are advanced by simple, unrelated things like journal flips or chatot flips.
    Also you're not giving a single argument of why it's not legit, rather just explaining further why it's not ethical.
    Guess I'm good at RNGing stuff.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/ekkuat.jpg[/IMG]
    Trainer sprite by me. PM me if you want a Gen V shiny and/or flawless pokémon, I'll RNG it for you. :3

  21. #37946
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    Unethical =/= cheating. And besides, your argument could also be applied for ivs, and EV's.

  22. #37947
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Inside a tights shop.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    If GF didn't want us to RNG, everyone's RNGs would be banned from official tournaments. Well guess what, RNGing is the only way to stand a chance.

    edit: VGC officers do ackowledge RNG's legitimacy.
    Guess I'm good at RNGing stuff.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/ekkuat.jpg[/IMG]
    Trainer sprite by me. PM me if you want a Gen V shiny and/or flawless pokémon, I'll RNG it for you. :3

  23. #37948
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    I've still yet to actually read a good arguement as to how rng abuse is cheating.

  24. #37949
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Inside a tights shop.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 11tjcoulombe View Post
    I've still yet to actually read a good arguement as to how rng abuse is cheating.

    "Because not everyone can :S"
    Yes, everyone can. They just are lazy/intimidated to learn.

    HURR IT'S NOT EXPLAINED IN THE GAME
    Lol suddenly EVs and IVs. Also shinies prior to Gen V.

    Oh coulumbe stop saying those things, it's cheating
    That's like, your ignorant opinion brosky.

    STFU IT MESSES THE GAEM CODEING
    No, unlike Action Replay, literally all RNG abuses are withing the games' limits. There's a reason you're, you know, rng abusing.

    :/ Can't think of any other "arguments". I'm done playing the devil's advocate here. Come at me, bros
    Guess I'm good at RNGing stuff.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/ekkuat.jpg[/IMG]
    Trainer sprite by me. PM me if you want a Gen V shiny and/or flawless pokémon, I'll RNG it for you. :3

  25. #37950

    Default

    Also, the comparisons with AR are completely ridiculous.

    An AR connects to your DS, directly influences the game, changes all odds of certain criteria with a few codes of its own and by default, is cheating.

    When you RNG, all you ever possibly need is a PC program that assists you. You could do all of this in your head with pencil and paper--if you're a math genius or something, as long as you know all of the formulas, functions and whatnot.

    But...everything you do is still confined to in-game mechanics and odds. This is where the "cheating" claims fall apart, and hold little more than a morality debate, and I couldn't care any less about morality.

    A better comparison would perhaps be using a calculator in your math class. When it's allowed by the teachers, are you still going to call somebody a cheater if they use it?
    Last edited by Sonikku za Hejjihoggu; 24th January 2012 at 9:00 AM.

Page 1518 of 2321 FirstFirst ... 518141814681508151415151516151715181519152015211522152815681618 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •