Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Halo to Halo 3 - Really that good?

I like the halo series but i don't think it's the best game ever made. I mean the mele system in halo 3 is complete out of wack!

^Credit to RaiBlade for Pro Cloning UserBar^
    Member of the Golden Sumit

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Trainer View Post
    I like the halo series but i don't think it's the best game ever made. I mean the mele system in halo 3 is complete out of wack!
    How so? [/ten char]

Example

I have no shields and the person I’m trying to kill has a 1/4542354235324532354 of shields left. He will win. Even if he Melee’s 2 seconds later he will kill you. Your beatdown can not hurt him at close range if he melee’s with in 2 seconds.

^Credit to RaiBlade for Pro Cloning UserBar^
    Member of the Golden Sumit

Just to throw in my two cents, but the Halo games were revolutionary in one way.

Machinima.

Although Quake beat Halo to the punch, it was machinima series like Red VS Blue, filmed in Halo, that brought the art form into the public eye. Halo and Quake share the title for the Father's of Machinima.
    [CENTER]Stuff I Claimed
    Homeworld (Claim Fav. Video Game)
    Breaking Benjamin Unknown Soldier (Claim Fav. Song)

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Trainer View Post
    Example

I have no shields and the person I’m trying to kill has a 1/4542354235324532354 of shields left. He will win. Even if he Melee’s 2 seconds later he will kill you. Your beatdown can not hurt him at close range if he melee’s with in 2 seconds.
    Oh...right. I don't try and kill with melee that much(unless I'm behind them of course), so I can't notice it that much.

my gamertag is memphis 423. up for anything. pretty decent at the game =] send me a pm or friend request + msg ingame if you want to play sometime?

Halo is WAY overrated. If you want a game with a really deep story, you need look no further than Xenosaga. Halo is just an every day futuristic shooter buried in cutscenes and eye candy. If it weren't for the Grand Theft Buggy concept, the game would've just been like any other shooter.
    Last edited by SBaby; 8th November 2007 at 8:06 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Halo actually has a pretty interesting background story and universe. It's a nice blend of esoteric space opera (Ringworlds, plasma weapons, aliens) combined with a nice dose of convincing military science fiction (Ballistic weapons, marines, military standard operating procedures).

Comparing the story of Halo to Xenosaga is like comparing apples and oranges. I'd rip my hair out if Halo or any other action game had the convoluted story and gaudy storytelling of a mediocre JRPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis 423 View Post
    my gamertag is memphis 423. up for anything. pretty decent at the game =] send me a pm or friend request + msg ingame if you want to play sometime?
    . . . . . .

Errr... this isn't a friend finder.

Also, thanks for bumping my two week old thread. ^_^ I'm really happy. [/sarcasm]

Halo is actually the first FPS that I've enjoyed playing. I'm not really into sci-fi and stuff, but the characters in Halo were cool, the aliens had neat designs and the grunts made funny squeals when they died/ran away.

Sure you can throw other FPS games at me - Gears of War is probably better than Halo, but when I play it, or watch other people play it, it just isn't as compelling as Halo is to me.

... It's definitely the grunts. I love them to bits.
    Also known as Mesukaru.

Pokémon art stuff:
    365 Project 2012 | 365 Project 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Latios View Post
    In your opinion. In my opinion, Halo feels like a mishmash of every other Sci-Fi movie I've seen. Heck I already feel the military is a knockoff of Starship Troopers.
    You know what the most annoying thing in the world is? It's when people refute an answer with "Well, that's just your opinion." Of course that's my opinion. I freaking wrote it!

Anyway, the benchmark of Halo being a mishmash can be applied to every other sci-fi story published after 1990 out there. Hey, this sci-fi movie has faster than light travel, starships, starfighters, aliens, superweapons, and megaliths... Pssh, can't anyone think of anything original these days?

And the UNSC being a knockoff of Starship Troopers? What, so apparently any universes out there of the military science fiction genre is considered a knockoff of that movie? Starship Troopers has a monopoly on space marines, gruffy starship captains, futuristic ballistic weapons, and dropships? Err, have you ever watched Aliens or the new Battlestar Galactica?

Quote Originally Posted by Souku View Post
    Halo is actually the first FPS that I've enjoyed playing. I'm not really into sci-fi and stuff, but the characters in Halo were cool, the aliens had neat designs and the grunts made funny squeals when they died/ran away.

Sure you can throw other FPS games at me - Gears of War is probably better than Halo, but when I play it, or watch other people play it, it just isn't as compelling as Halo is to me.

If only Gears of War was an FPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    You know what the most annoying thing in the world is? It's when people refute an answer with "Well, that's just your opinion." Of course that's my opinion. I freaking wrote it!
    How 'bout we proceed to bash it then? Much better option there.

Quote Originally Posted by Souku View Post

The kamikaze grunt own!

They may not have revolutionised the fps system, per se, but they were still worth a few hours of enjoyment. And don't get me started on how much I liked blood gulch ctf.
    Quote Originally Posted by serebii View Post
    Just saw Clair in Dragon's Den and got her phone number (score )

Quote Originally Posted by fhqwhgads View Post
    If only Gears of War was an FPS.
    Whoops, I meant Call of Duty 2. My bad.
    Also known as Mesukaru.

Pokémon art stuff:
    365 Project 2012 | 365 Project 2013

Well Halo did get me into the world of FPS games, Maybe because of it's Co-Op in story and it's great controls which were simply made of Win.

The original Halo was a great game. Why? It introduced many console gamers to the first person shooter genre, myself being one of them. PC gamers hardly care for Halo at all (generalizing here of course). However, some years down the track and console gamers have experienced a variety of different shooters that have been created due to the popularity of the genre generated by the original Halo, however Halo 2 and more recently Halo 3 and primarly the exact same game. The main thing you pay for is updated visuals and a few new lack-luster gameplay elements, which really don't alter the core game style that the original established.

FPSs should be standalone games. Triologies with crappy tagged on storylines don't work, it's just the same thing over and over again.

Well, here's another PC gamer's perspective: I was totally wowed by Halo when playing it at my friend's house. Halo at the time was the most polished first person shooter out on the market. It had a really well-designed UI, well-done inverse kinematics, colorful art direction, great sounds effects, and it was the first time I played a game that used pixel shading and bump mapping (Unless the Doom 3 Alpha was leaked before Halo was released). I liked Halo so much that I totally went out and bought that sh*t when it came out for PC (since I didn't own a console back then because I was an exclusive PC gamer).

But what totally brought me into Halo was the gameplay. Both the singleplayer and the multiplayer felt it had dimensions to it. Most first person shooters at the time (Quake II, Quake III, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life DM) seemed to test more of your reflexes than your strategic and tactical prowess of the game and lacked dimension. Halo was a lot different from the other FPSs of that time, with hot keyed grenades, rechargeable health, hot keyed melee, dangerous melee, limited weapons, all weapons having about equal combat performance. Sure, you can be anal retentive and pick out all the features that were in previous games, but the fact of the matter is that those features were still rare in FPSs at the time. Maybe you can accuse Halo of bringing nothing new to the table but you can't argue that it was another cookie cutter FPS when there obviously was some considerate thought put into the gameplay design.

halo is the best game because of it's gameplay, action, and last but not least the storyline. and have you ever seen a product being so popular before?
    a nightinggale in a golden cage, that's me locked inside reality's maze

silver frontier symbols:
    luck

my tc

Quote Originally Posted by the ghost View Post
    halo is the best game
    No.

because of it's gameplay,
    Standard FPS gameplay.

action,
    'Action'?

and last but not least the storyline.
    A horrible and bland mish-mash of generic sci-fi book concepts put into a blender.

and have you ever seen a product being so popular before?
    Yes, I have.

halo is the best game because of it's gameplay, action, and last but not least the storyline. and have you ever seen a product being so popular before?
    What's special about the gameplay or the action, and why do you think ten sci-fi books/movies/games mashed together is original?

BIAS!

Imo. Halo got popular b/c of its multiplayer gameplay.

are those numbers in dollars or the ammount of games sold since release? if they're in dollars then halo 3 is the best selling product ever
    a nightinggale in a golden cage, that's me locked inside reality's maze

silver frontier symbols:
    luck

my tc

Halo 3 - Finish the battle!

*scene of Master Chief blowing away his own head*

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Frost*~ View Post
    The original Halo was a great game. Why? It introduced many console gamers to the first person shooter genre, myself being one of them. PC gamers hardly care for Halo at all (generalizing here of course).
    Wait didn't Goldeneye do that? Or at least introduce a large portion of the console market to the FPS genre. According to the statistics Latios posted above with units sold, Goldeneye sold just was well as Halo 2. Not only that, Goldeneye was more expensive IIRC (weren't N64 catridges like $70 at release?)

Just curious...

But Halo 3 is a decent game. It is fun, but far from perfect or even the best game ever. But, it is fun to play online from time to time, albeit half the people need to be muted. Permentantly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast