Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dawn's Early Night! (517)

Quote Originally Posted by Avegaille View Post
    You people make me laugh. Seriously. xD;; If you all don't like Zoey because you all think she's such a boring/lame/omgshe'salesbian character, then so be it... I like laughing at what you guys say about her anyways... XD

Anyways, episode wise, I finally saw it... >> The dub, so all I have to say is, I was really surprised at the way Zoey is at Nando by the end the episode... But I nearly laughed off my seat when I heard her say " O RLY?" and I think they didn't show off Zoey and Nando's battle due to the fact that they were running out of time... or maybe they just don't want us to see Zoey lose badly.

And remembering correctly, Zoey already lost to 3 contests... and if you include the one with Nando, that makes it 4. >> If anyone listens to watch she says... carefully. The first two was where when she first meets Dawn, and the other one is where she meets the gang again and to catch Buizel.
    Wow, she really lost that many contests? I mean, I thought she would have won more than Dawn. But oh well. Also, Zoey took the fact that Nando was doing contests and gyms well... but only after she saw his appeal. Also, I laughed when Dawn was between Zoey and Nando, knowing that Dawn knows that Zoey hates that concept of doing both gyms and contests, and knowing that Nando is doing both just merited a decent lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TogeticTheRuler View Post
    NOO I MISSED THIS EPISODE!

I thought it would be HORRIBLE like the passed dubs since I haven't been watching them for a while.

Did Dawn's theme play?>.> If so, thats an automatic win right there.

If they leave the music intact and fix the voices so they don't sound annoying, it may be just as good as the japanese version
    If you'd like, I could send you chunks of it via e-mail. Or, I could upload it on Youtube, and I could give you the link later.

Overall, knowing the outcome of this contest was one thing. Not knowing the music they were going to use was another. Man, it actually felt like she lost big time. However, if you think about from another perspective, this is technically her first loss. Why do I say this? Well, the first type of contests she was doing only involved one Pokemon for the appeals. This one requires two. So in a way its an entirely different form of contests. Since she didn't get enough practice in with this style, I can sorta she her loss as being her first.

Spoiler:- in the Solaceon one:

Personally, I honestly did not realize any of the music was originally in the... well original version. Though, this makes me amazed that PUSA would actually go that far into doing this. You know, the more I think about it, maybe it was a good idea for PUSA to take over the "entire" Pokémon industry. It seems they're not doing the same mistakes that 4Kids has done (at least from my PoV). Knowing that many others on this forum know a lot more than I do, well take my response for a grain of salt.

Also, there were a good deal of comical events in this episode. Nando being so relaxed towards just about anything gets lots of lulz. Even when Zoey seems to be irritated towards his decisions, he's still calm. Then of course, Ash crashing into the front doors of the gym. Hasn't done that in quite some time (running into things I mean). I still have yet to see the upcoming competition, so that's going to have to wait.

Overall, I thought this episode was very well done. Now for the competition.

~C_L~

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

Hehe, remember when Jessie told Seviper to use Sacred Fire, but it didn't know how to use it so she did nothing lol.
    I don't quite remember that one. Are you trying to trick us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    I knew the euro crisis got out of hand but this is ridiculous, its gotten to the point were people want a part time job in a video game.

Hehe, remember when Jessie told Seviper to use Sacred Fire, but it didn't know how to use it so she did nothing lol.
    No, but I remember her telling it to use Luster Purge, aka Latios's signature move.

Anyway, the episode wasn't too bad. It's nice to see Zoey finally respecting the idea of doing both contests and gym battles a little bit.
    Haxorus has been pitted against a Raticate in a pokemon battle. Who will get to make the first move?

Quote Originally Posted by CabbyFish View Post
    No, but I remember her telling it to use Luster Purge, aka Latios's signature move.

Anyway, the episode wasn't too bad. It's nice to see Zoey finally respecting the idea of doing both contests and gym battles a little bit.
    If that's true, then it just shows how idiotic Team Rocket really is! Not to mention Kenny and Dawn,     Spoiler:- Anime Spoiler:
    !
    I knew the euro crisis got out of hand but this is ridiculous, its gotten to the point were people want a part time job in a video game.

Top notch music and dialogue embracing a good plot all over this episode, it did so well despite shoving the battling portion under the rug. Nando's harmonics and Zoey's ingenuity made this episode have the best appeals I've ever seen all in one contest. Jessie was pretty interesting too, at first I thought she was yelping for pain from Cacnea. Smoochum and Steelix? Talking about random, a nice Duskull(my fave) imprisoning a Psyduck, for the quack's brief attempt to return into the comedy business.

This being Nando's latest appearance, I still don't get why he's seen as so dull and displeasing. I've noticed that he's pulled off some of the best lines of main characters(save Meowth and James):

'Pokemon bard at your service'
    'Dear me, thee sparks are suuure flyin'
    'Sunflora and Kricketune, make your mark!'

Kricketune will go to good use under Nando, that and Sunflora are beginning to characterize him so swell. Three appearances, three pokemon(and a bonus evolution), rivals are getting good use this time. Zoey VS Nando looks pretty intense too. If 'make your mark' is his catchphrase then that's something I might have to use myself sometime.

Nice feathers and shoulder blade thing there, Nando, except that doesn't count as dressing up! Maybe minor costume glitches are going to be his thing? Sounds interesting. I did find the new harp design quite sharp, some kind of MEW or weasel in it. Maybe Nando's gentle speech pattern makes him my type of guy, that or kids these days prefer characters with a complex(those have actual grow potential).

Dawn was at her best pitch all season, for a random reason Nando improved too, since Dawn of a New Era. And she had some good reactions to go along with it, especially the scream.

'I feel a lot bit nervous'
    'Ooookay'

Many times I think PUSA enjoys toying with the dialogue, with the many inserted D/P moments as 'Of course I'm here' it's one of the best original scripts that still sticks the japanese (well, mostly).

8/10 Didn't really think any episode would ever score above 7 without a good battle.

The only thing I liked was the sudden shock when Dawn didn't make it past the first round. Geesh! What a drama queen!

Dawn will never get another ribbon in this one. She thinks it's so grueling, either. And why did Jesse join a Pokemon contest like that?

At least they did something different from normal with this episode, with Jessie getting farther than the twerp in competition, and Dawn washing out in the first round. Her attack looked really good, but I can see after watching her next contest why she didn't advance with the whirlpool/swift combo. It still rankles me that Jessie doesn't win the contest, but at least she gets payback with the next one. Mime Jr. and Cacnea working together was cute.
    Celebrating 15 years of Pokemon, now through December 2013

My Shinies: NEW!! 4/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing:

I was so sad when Dawn did not make it a shed a tear
    It was the same day as my school play and I'm like if Dawn wins this then I can do great at my perfomance at my play. Then she didn't make it I got so scaried and sad but I still did good poor dawn

Pokemon Ranger Dan
    The New Ranger From Hoeen
    That Was turned into a Pokemon once... Than Turned Back Into A Human To Become A Ranger.
    Styler Level: 33
    On Mission: 14: Get The Yellow Gem!
    Credits To Sweet May For The Banner

Quote Originally Posted by Korobooshi Kojiro View Post
    Everyone running into the Gym Door (including Mukkubird!) and then seeing Korotok stare at them, looking down upon the lower scum of Earth.
    ^ The greatest thing I've seen in a long time ^___^

I'm kinda glad Dawn didn't get past the appeal round... after seeing May do quite well throughout her tenure, it's nice to see some failure every now & then ^^

Don't be so shocked guys, jeez...
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    The only thing I liked was the sudden shock when Dawn didn't make it past the first round. Geesh! What a drama queen!
    XD

i knew she wouldnt win the ribbon. It was pretty sad when Dawn cried too.

I feel sorry for Dawn... and it's a pity that Jessie didn't win the contest either

Persona 4

Great episode! I loved the contest, sad that Dawn and Jessie didn't win. Nando hasn't been seen for 60 episodes now, his ribbon should've gone to someone else!
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

Eh, another contest episode. >_> I hate contests. Oh well. They're not going away. Decent episode anyway.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

it was a nice episode if you ask me, it has been a while since we saw nando.

i'm currently on antartica, it might take a while untill i'm back.

I dont like contest episodes..its to much if ask me
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

I feel sorry for dawn that she lost. At least she tried her best! Also, nice episode title. (sings the star spangeled banner)
        Spoiler:- My Pokémon Teams & Video Game Identities:

Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Oh crap! It's Nozomi! The only thing that could possibly make me care less about this episode's cast is if Naoshi were to randomly show up! And he does! Zzzzzz... blah. I actually don't dislike this contest, if mainly because we finally get to see the lead female flop in the appeal round. I mean, seriously, the fact that all previous appeal rounds had been successes really killed any past tension they were going for by having the girls pray they would make it. Likewise, Hikari's total breakdown here is rather understandable, methinks, and sets the stage for her eventual descent into unspeakable madness and fury manic depression (or "emo", if you ask anybody else in the fanbase). I really wish we got to see the battles here, however.

It's no secret that I don't like pre-Kissaki Nozomi and could not possibly care less for Naoshi. Seeing as how Nozomi's gym/contest dislike had a lot of potential here with Naoshi's dual paths, it's a drag that they didn't actually take it anywhere. Instead, Nozomi ends up looking like the busy-body that we'd come to begin to demonize by this point, while Naoshi looks as dry of a character as ever. Doesn't help Naoshi in that he'd dragged along Kazue Kinoshita in all three of his appearances. Wasted character opportunities are what bug me about this episode more than the unseen battles, to be honest. Luckily the rest of Yosuga is fantastic.

C+
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Dawns performance was ze uba cool! But she didnt make it because of the genericness of it all. I mean everyone can look cute if they tried,but only the people with skillz can make it through well.

Dawns personality fit with my vision of if that episode really happened in RL and i was there to watch. Sure and over confident, just what a young and inexperienced coordinator should be.Yet crushed and depressed when she lost,just like how a young and inexperienced coordinator should be.Kinda felt bad for dawn though.
    My partner is Torterra. Cause he has free food

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360 Turtwig FTW and In Uber~ Elementer

I am not a big fan of contest episodes but this was interesting because Dawn didn't make it to the second round, considering May had gotten to every second round in her contest it was interesting to see something nice, then Dawn loses her next ribbon (Or was that before this episode? I forget).

I wonder if there's a possibly if Jessie gets in the GF and Dawn doesn't, or if either doesn't get into the Grand Festival or Dawn doesn't do too well in GF, it would be interesting
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

I'm shocked that Dawn lost so quickly. At least May made it to the final round before she lost.

I liked seeing Nando again, I wish he'd appear more.

4/10

It was odd to see a main character don't make it to the next step, but it's was worth it
    I loved to see Nando again, and his pokemon were great
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I liked all the appeals, my favorite was Nando's. It was pretty sad that Dawn didn't even make it pass the first round but I know in time she'll become a great coordinator. Nice episode.

I thought despite the competition, Dawn was gonna be winning this contest. Pretty surprising the way she failed. Not a bad episode, but still not as good as it potentially could have been.

As we wind on down the road~

Skipping 2 reviews this time. dp 46 is one of the 2 best pokemon are separated episodes in Sinnoh, while dp 47 is a filler.

Dawn's loss in the first round of this contest is startling b/c of the reason why she loses: there is not a reason. The writers almost ruin the episode by having Zoey remark that Dawn is overconfident just before the start of the contest, as if to give a cause for Dawn's failure (cold feet from the writers). Fortunately, though, Ash, Brock and Pikachu set the moral straight when they smilingly tell Dawn she put on a great performance (which, truthfully, she did) after the first round results have been announced. Dawn snaps, asking why did she lose then? Ash and Brock do not have an answer; their smiles are gone, replaced by pained expressions, b/c they told her the truth. She worked really hard, she executed the appeal well, and yet somehow she did not advance. As Dawn's mother says when she sees the results, sometimes life goes that way. And it hurts. It hurts to give your best but to realize it just was not enough to win, especially considering that Dawn won her last contest. She had no reason to think she would not advance to the second round. Furthermore, as she runs outside the building crying, the contest continues. The lady commentator announces the start of the second round, and the crowd is ready for it. None of them care how much hard work Dawn put into preparing the performance, or that she did a good job, or that she is not there now in the second round. This is why it is important in life to have friends who really understand you and what you do. Dawn, luckily, has that in Ash and Brock this episode.

Unluckily in this episode, she has Zoey as her friend as well. Zoey's reaction to Dawn's outburst is ridiculous and heartless; she gives Dawn a glare as if she expected her to get angry the way she does and is wrong for doing so. The good thing for Zoey in this episode is that after bad-mouthing Nando at the beginning, she loses to him, giving him his second ribbon (good for Nando, too!). The pokemon bard finally does what has been unthinkable in dp so far in defeating Zoey, earning him his credentials as a coordinator. However, Zoey ends the episode on a bad note, reprimending Dawn for complaining about her first round loss (while Zoey has the right to think about her loss to Nando). Ash points out that since Zoey and Dawn both lost, they can comfort each other, but the idea is off. Dawn's loss does not compare with Zoey's at all; as Dawn tries to tell Zoey before being criticized, Dawn would have loved to have finished as high as Zoey did.

Well, Zoey has another terrible outing. I do remember her doing something right eventually, so I have to keep going until I find it. Down the road, she does give Dawn some words of advice that stick with Dawn for a very long time, so that is important.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast