Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Saga of Team Supernova (rated PG 13)

Hey shade remember me I'm the guy who asked u for help on my fic

anyways to be on topic... this fic rocks!

Yo minna! Me is back, and with the crew! ^-^ Except for one. *hears crash* Speak of Diglett...

Raichu: *trips over doorframe and tumbles into room, then jumps back up* Whew...ma...made it...pant... hey, Kori, why didn't you tell me we were coming back here?!
    Me: I did. So did Dai and Aura. Four times. Then you fell asleep.
    Raichu: Oh...

Ch. 18 commentary: Anyways...I actually kinda feel sorry for Jirachi. Because she has to put up with the legendary birds and their attitude. Poor thing...no wonder she's skittish. And--

Raichu: OOOH!! OOH!! Moltres said the "D" word!
    Me: *anime vein* Don't interupt...
    Raichu: Sorry.

Where was I....? Oh, yeah. However, I am kinda curious as to why she didn't attack or alert the birds to Tristan's presence when she saw him. Maybe she didn't want to rush into anything without knowing for certain it was him? Also curious was the fact that whereas things were reaching drought-like conditions elsewhere, it was snowing at Mt. Blaze. Now things really are getting confusing...and foreboding. Hehe.

Ch. 19 commentary: Poor, poor Dave...he and Tristan are gonna have a lot to talk about, aren't they? As said before, it was a really nice portrayal of his grief and confusion. It always is neat to show different vantage points in the plot. I also found the description of the Team A.C.T. base to be....interesting.

Absol: Uh-HUH....coming from one who used to practically worship Charizard when said person first bought the PMD game?
    Me: *sweatdrop* PLEASE!! Stop interupting me!
    Absol: Shutting up...

Thank you....*clears throat* Though it was funny how he got Gardevoir and Ninetails' names wrong...wonder what would happen if he accidentally called Ninetails "Finetailed" to his face? HAH!

Overall, now that my hiatus is hopefully over, I shall camp out in front of the computer and wait for the next installment while resuming work on my own dang fanfic! *ignores Raichu running and jumping around behind her* Over an' out!

Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien

wow that was good!(sorry ive been gone for awhile) anyways im seein how this will all connect in the end. but i dont get it still in some parts ,well any ways love the story!

Oh Arceus, late reply is very late. And I don't even have much to offer. XD

Awh, Dave's a good guy. I also love his mispronunciations of Pokemon names, despite him being in the Pokemon world for quite a while.

I...don't have much to offer at this point, because everyone else has said everything, so I'll just wait for the next chapter to reply to.

Click above to view
    Chapter 5 Up!
    Pleasedon'teatme...
    Banner made by me.

*Yaaaaaaaaawn* OK that was a long enough nap...
    Aaaaaaack! Its been more than a month! I totally slept in! Aw man... well, I guess you guys have waited long enough. Next chapter coming soon! (Meaning tonight)

@ Kirbydude1010: Hmm... I think I do recall that. Back on nsider right? Well its nice to see some more familiar faces around here. Well I don't actually see your face, its just a figure of speech.

@ Koridojo_Blaziken: Yes. There is something about Jirachi's character that makes me just love writing her dialog. And I especially love putting her in situations such as these. *Evil author grin* Oh, no Jirachi's were harmed during the writing of this fanfic.

Well, I do have a meteorological explanation for the weather at Mount Blaze. It will be raised later in the story.

Yes ^^. That's Dave for you. Never being able to remember names. I wonder how many people he's frustrated by doing this?

On Nsider I was known as Shadesninja.
    No need to call me by my full name. Focus will do just fine. Or you can call me FPE. You can save a second of writing that way! (and save me a second of reading *grins maniacally* Step 1 in world domination complete! Ah-Uh... I mean... um... well you see... grr... foiled again!)

Chapter 20

Battles of the Birds. A Turn for the Worst.

The surrounding landscape became shrouded behind a thick layer of steam as the heated air of Moltres clashed with the freezing air of Mount Blaze. Any feeling of cold that Torchic or Totodile had felt only minutes ago had all but evaporated, leaving in its place, burning heat.

Moltres stood in the center of the sphere of heat, glaring furiously at his two intruders as he spread his bright, fiery wings. He let out a long shrill cry. The brightness caused them both to shield their eyes.

“Wait! Wait!” Totodile cried desperately, covering his ears with his hands, and shutting his eyes tightly. He trembled from head to toe despite the heat. “Please! We didn’t do anything wrong! Why are you doing this?”

“You think you didn’t do anything wrong?” Moltres said, looking down upon the small blue crocodile. “Your very being here is wrong!”

“Please!” Torchic shouted, coming to Totodile’s support. “We only ever wanted to find a friend of ours. Can’t we pass by just this once? You’ll never see us again! Right, Totodile?”

Totodile jumped at being addressed, but quickly nodded in reply. “Yeah! That’s right!”

“Searching for a friend, are you? Well, your search is in vain.” Moltres interrupted. “I would have known if an intruder had set foot on my mountain. Do not underestimate my power, for my abilities far exceed yours.” However, just after having said this, he turned his attention away from the two for a few moments, as if struck by a thought.

“You hear that,Totodile?” Torchic whispered to him hopefully. “He says that Tristan might not be here. That means we might be able to get him to let us leave without any trouble.”

“Yeah,” Totodile agreed. “But that leaves us with the rest of the continent to search. And this mountain was where we thought we were sure to find him.”

“SILENCE!!” Moltres snapped, bringing the two team member’s attention back to him. “I did not give you permission to talk! Now, to deal with you,” he said, beginning to spread his wings.

Torchic gave Totodile a quick nod, before turning back to Moltres. “Please!” she cried, trying to sound sincere. “We’re sorry we set foot on your mountain. We weren’t trying to anger you.”

“Oh! Uh, yeah!” Totodile joined, realizing her plan. “Please, let us go. We never wanted to cause trouble.”

There was a tense moment when Moltres remained with his wings raised, staring hard at them. They looked back with wide eyes, Totodile with his hands clasped together. Moltres rolled his eyes before lowering his wings, turning his head away from them. “Hmmm…” he grumbled. “Fortunately for you, I have more pressing matters to attend to. And…” he looked back at the faces of his two prisoners. “You… don’t seem to be the kind that causes trouble. I will let you go, but only this once.”

If there were a time for Torchic and Totodile’s jaws to drop, it would have been then. Both of them stared blankly back at the bird in front of them, still allowing this sentence to soak into their minds. This was too good to be true. Neither of them could believe that they would be let go, just like that.

“I will give you a few hours to search the mountain for your friend.” He continued, ignoring their faces. “If he turns out not to be here, you will leave immediately.” His gave another threatening look before continuing, “But, if I find you here again on this mountain, there will be no mercy. And you would be wise to tell your friend the same.”

“Hang on,” Totodile said, tilting his head in confusion. “I… thought you said he wasn’t here.”

“He might be,” Moltres’s explained impatiently. “I was distracted by the arrival of another Pokemon. There might have been a chance that they arrived at my mountain at the same time. The chance is slim, but there was, indeed, still a chance.”

“And you are letting us go, just like that?” Torchic asked. She was still struggling to grasp the fact that their lives had been spared. “You’re even letting us search for our friend?”

“Maybe if you just stood there asking idiotic questions I would change my mind,” Moltres said. “Is that what you want?” They both shook their heads quickly, thanking the bird deeply before turning to leave. Their shock had still not subsided.

“This is great!” Torchic said under her breath. “We don’t have to fight, and we get to search for Tristan! What a stroke of luck!”

“Yeah,” Totodile whispered, finding that he himself was beginning to smile. “I was told that the legendary birds were quite hostile to outsiders. I thought we were goners.”

“Now,” Moltres uttered to himself, though his voice still managed to carry over to Torchic and Totodile. “About that human…” He looked down again at the two smaller Pokemon, to see that they had both had turned in an instant. “Hm? And what are you staring at?”

Totodile pointed directly at the bird, his hand trembling as he spoke. “Hang on… D-did you just say human?”

‘I did.”

“You mean like… Dave?” Torchic asked, pressing the question further. “Is that the human you were talking about?”

“No,” Moltres answered, becoming annoyed further. “Another human. A Cubone I believe. By the name of Tristan if I recall correctly. A wicked creature bent on destroying the world. Ah! Why am I even telling you this? Did you want to find your friend or not?”

Both Torchic and Totodile froze completely, not even needing to exchange looks to know what each other was thinking. It… it couldn’t be. Tristan? A human!? But… they had already resolved the fact that he was not a human! Yet there Moltres stood, having told them exactly the opposite.

Torchic glanced over at Totodile. Had it been several months ago, when they had first met, Totodile would have been ecstatic with the news. Instead she saw his lips curl downward into a miserable frown. If she could see his heart sink, she would have, and she felt the same.

“Wh- what do you plan to do with him.” Totodile asked nervously.

“What does it matter to you?” Moltres inquired, narrowing his eyes. “It should not concern you. Unless… the human is perhaps the friend you are looking for.”

“He… he is” Torchic replied anxiously though even when she was speaking, she was regretting the words coming out of her mouth, feeling as if they were betraying her. It was especially nerve-wracking under the ever-angering stare of Moltres. “Tristan is the friend… we’re… … looking… … … for?”

“Well then,” Moltres said calmly, yet barely concealing his rage. “This changes everything. This changes everything indeed.”

Both Torchic and Totodile couldn’t help but take a big gulp. This didn’t look good. What had they said wrong? Had it been a mistake saying that they were friends with Tristan?

“I’ve changed my mind,” Moltres said. “You will not leave the mountain. You will not search for your friend. You will not even set foot on any other part of this mountain!”

“What?” Totodile blurted. “Why?”

“Playing innocent are we?” the bird shrieked. “You think I’m so stupid, but I see through all your lies! You must have been the ones who stopped Articuno from killing the human when he had the chance! You were the ones who allowed the disasters to continue! You are the ones who will assist in the destruction of the world! Well, you listen to me! I will not permit such an atrocity to continue! I will crush you here before you can reunite and plot with that monster you call a friend!”

“Wait!” Totodile cried. It had all come so quickly. What was he saying? Was Moltres actually blaming them for the disasters? “I don’t understand! Why is it our fault? What did we do?”

“If this is because I’m a fire Pokemon,” Torchic cried. “Then you are just as guilty as I am, if not more!”

“It is too late for excuses. If I let you go, I know you will run to the aid of that human, causing us further trouble in our attempts to save the world!” the fire bird roared. With this, he gave out a loud shrill shriek before launching himself into the sky, disappearing amidst the red tinted steam that filled the sky above them.

“Totodile!” Torchic cried. “What did we do?”

“I don’t know!” Totodile answered as both of them scanned every possible place in the sky they could. “It doesn’t matter now! He won’t listen to us!” He put a hand on the orange and yellow coloured band he wore around his neck. He had originally worn the detect band to help them find Tristan with the hopes that heightened senses and reflexes would allow them to find him sooner. Now, as his eyes darted from steam cloud to steam cloud, he was silently thanking himself that he’d brought it. “Stay close,” he said to Torchic, holding out a hand in front of her. “No doubt he’ll try to catch us off guard. I’ll warn you when I see him.”

He turned around to see a faint glow of red amongst the steam. “DIVE TORCHIC!!” he hollered, as the dim light suddenly increased to blinding brightness in mere fractions of a second.

Totodile dove to the left, and Torchic to the right, both of them feeling intense heat at their backs as a blazing stream of flames incinerated where they had stood, only seconds before. Pushed further by the tremendous force, both Torchic and Totodile’s dives turned into tumbling rolls until they both came to a rough stop.

Totodile clambered to his feet as quickly as he could, instantly knowing that something was wrong. He turned his head with barely enough time to see the wing of Moltres before it slammed into his back. Totodile flew through the air and tumbled across the newly heated rock until he crashed upside-down into a boulder and landed with a thud on his head.

Totodile cried in pain, clutching his ribs as he writhed on the ground. It felt like every one of his ribs had been broken. His skin stung where he had scraped across the heated ground. “Tristan’s been through worse,” he thought to himself as an attempt of self-motivation. “A little pain won’t stop me!” With this, he got to his knees and looked back to see what had become of the enemy.

Moltres had wasted no time in charging at Totodile once more, gathering speed as he braced his wing for another strong wing attack while Totodile was nowhere near ready to defend. It was clear to the two team members that Moltres was trying to wipe Totodile out first, knowing full well the effects of water on fire. Totodile tried to stand, but fell again as the pain in his ribs returned leaving him hopelessly exposed. Closing the gap quickly, Moltres closed the final meters with increasing speed.

“SAND ATTACK!” Torchic screamed, kicking sand into the air just before Moltres could land his hit. The attack hit its mark, with grains of sand flying into the eyes of the great bird. Moltres gave a roar of pain as he abandoned his attack, lifting himself into the sky, his talons missing Totodile by centimeters. Moltres flew in a tight loop, landing again, this time directly in front of Torchic.

“Why you…!” Moltres snarled, raising his wing to strike her. “You’ll pay!” His wing came down hard upon her head, knocking her over stomach first onto the ground. The next thing she knew, there was a talon upon her, followed by the crushing weight of Moltres.

Totodile looked up to see Moltres looking down between claws at Torchic, eyeing her as he would his prey. Flames began to curl out from inside of his mouth as he took a deep breath inward. Torchic couldn’t even see what she was about to be hit with.

“No!” He yelled. “Get off of her!”

Moltres turned his attention back to Totodile, only to be met with a torrent of water. Moltres again cried out in agony, as the cold water made contact with his body. Staggering back, steam could be seen rising from him, his flame burning weaker than before. “Fool!” he sneered, spreading his wings, the intensity of his flame revived. “Resistance is useless!” He launched himself into the air, disappearing into the clouds of steam yet again.

“Torchic!” Totodile shouted running up to her collapsed body. “C’mon Torchic! Speak to me!”

“I’m fine, I’m fine, see?” she said, rising to her feet. For having gone through what she’d just experienced, Totodile had expected her to be in much worse shape. Instead, she’d managed to get away with only minor injuries, which included a large bruise on her head. She indicated towards the blue scarf that she’d been wearing around her neck. She had put it on at the beginning of the journey, expecting that the journey would take them to cold places. She was clearly grateful with herself that it was a defense scarf that she had chosen.

Totodile managed to find a moment to give a sigh of relief, turning to scan the ground around him. Their toolbox was at the other end of the plateau, too far to reach any time soon. They’d have to go without any more items for now. He then turned his attention back to the sky, using his heightened senses to try to find Moltres.

A flicker out of the corner of his eye warned about the coming danger. Before he could even think, he whirled around, towards the direction of the light as it got brighter and brighter. Suddenly, a hole punched through the steam, revealing Moltres flying close to the ground preparing another wing attack. This time, though, Totodile was ready. Torchic turned, only just noticing his presence.

Moltres moved to strike high on Totodile and Torchic’s body, one wing for each of them. But something caught Totodile’s eye. A slight bob of Moltres’ head and Totodile realized something different in the oncoming attack.

“Jump!” Totodile shouted to Torchic.

“What!?” she cried, preparing to duck.

“JUMP!!” He shouted again, as Moltres was nearly upon them. “Just do it!”

Suddenly, Moltres swooped down attacking low on their bodies with little to no warning. But Totodile and Torchic had already jumped into the air, looking down upon the bewildered legendary.

Totodile mustered all the water he could into his attack, creating an enormous torrent of water to come down upon the bird’s back.

Moltres landed in a heap on the ground, steam rising from all over his body. Totodile and Torchic landed on the ground behind him, Torchic giving him no time to get up, jumping back over, landing beak first on the nape of his neck.

Moltres jerked from the strike, tossing Torchic off of him, causing her to land several meters away. Totodile joined her moments later.

“We make for the toolbox,” he said, motioning to the other end of the plateau. “We can’t keep this up for much longer without some energy.”

She nodded, before looking herself to see where the box was. “Can we make it there?”

“We’ll have to try,” he said. “C’mon!” They both turned, making an all out sprint for the toolbox.

With every second that passed the gap between them and the toolbox closed. Finally, they reached their destination, desperately opening it to see the contents.

Another familiar feeling in Totodile’s mind made him panic. Moltres was going to strike again from behind. But there was no time to warn Torchic! He leaped for the small fire Pokemon, allowing both of them to land roughly on the ground. Moments later, Moltres soared by hitting the toolbox instead, scattering berries and seeds all over the ground.

“You didn’t actually think you could defeat me with pathetic moves like that!” they heard him taunt from before them. They both looked up to see Moltres standing before them, his fire now blazing brighter as his rage raised ever higher. “This ends here! Now, receive your punishment!” He raised his wings and closed his eyes as he directed his head upward. His wings burned ever brighter, his body increasing in heat with every second. But with such a display of power, his position left him horribly exposed.

“We need to end this now, Torchic!” Totodile exclaimed hurriedly, seeing their chance. “We still need to find Tristan!”

“I know!” she replied. “We’ll use our strongest attacks!”

Totodile nodded, preparing for another water gun attack. Torchic also began to store her energy as she began to prepare for fire spin. No matter how much it took, neither of them would allow themselves to stop until Moltres had been utterly defeated.

By now, Moltres was too bright to even look at, and the heat that radiated from him could have even been hot enough to evaporate the water before even touching him. Another feeling struck Totodile before he was ready to unleash his attack. Something was coming. Something big was about to happen. Then, finally, he realized what was about to engulf them. With no means to escape the coming attack, all he could do was create as much distance between himself and Moltres as he could. “TORCHIC!” he yelled. “Look out! Get away!”

Torchic spun around at the last moment, only just realizing that Totodile was escaping. She looked back up to see that Moltres had finally opened his eyes, looking down upon the two team members with an evil grin on his face. With no time to run, she quickly buried herself in her scarf.

At the climax of his power, Moltres gave a mighty shriek, and spread his wings to the fullest extent. With an almighty roar, he bellowed, “HEAT WAVE!!!”

Pinned against a boulder with nowhere to run, and a Legendary Pokemon directly in front of him, this was the last place Tristan had hoped to find himself. His eyes darted from spark to spark as hundreds of sparks danced on the ground around him. He looked back into Zapdos’ eyes only to be greeted with an evil grin. How could it have come to this?

“This is it!” Zapdos exclaimed. “To think that such a small creature as you could create such big problems. And that I am about to finish you just like that!” He turned momentarily around, across the plateau to glance at Articuno. “You getting all this?”

“Oh, yeah,” Articuno mumbled, who had perched atop a rock to get a better view. “You’ve got him for sure.”

Zapdos grumbled, slightly, angered by the sarcasm that Articuno had clearly implied. “You just wait, your turn is coming.” He turned back to Tristan, who had been slowly and quietly trying to creep away. “Oh no you don’t!” he said, hopping over in front of Tristan again. As soon as he said this, the sparks gathered and began to accumulate into a ball above his head. “Now, to end this!”

Tristan closed his eyes tightly bracing for what surely would be a powerful hit. Did he really deserve this? He couldn’t say that he knew any longer. After hearing Jirachi’s words, he couldn’t help but wonder if his death would really allow this Sanngot person to save the world. But then what about what Gardevoir had said? She never did tell him his purpose in this world. What if he really was here to destroy the world? “Hang on…” Tristan thought suddenly. “Why am I still thinking?” Cautiously, he opened his eyes to see the legendary bird still above him.

“Hey!!” Zapdos snapped, half-startled and half-angered. “What is this? You’re still standing!”

Tristan wasn’t sure how to respond. He couldn’t have missed. It was at point blank range after all. He couldn’t even explained how he’d survived. It was just like that strike from earlier, when Zapdos had aimed for Articuno. Despite this, he croaked, “You… uh… you missed?”

“SHUT UP! It was a direct hit!” the bird snapped. “You should be writhing in pain on the ground! Why aren’t you writhing in pain on the ground?”

Tristan became suddenly angered by these remarks, which at the same time startled him. How was he supposed to know? And how could Zapdos have the nerve to ask him why he wasn’t suffering? “Gee, I’m real sorry I’m not pleasing you with agony and pain!” he retorted, much to the surprise of Zapdos, and the amusement of Articuno.

“Something wrong, Zapdos?” Articuno taunted from afar. “I’m still watching, by the way. What was it I was supposed to be getting again?”

“Grrrrrrr… SILENCE!!!” Zapdos shouted back, “I just didn’t hit hard enough, that’s all. Nothing can withstand my lightning! He’ll fry this time!”

Articuno rolled his eyes. “Sure…”

Seeing his chance, Tristan decided it was his turn to come on the offensive, clutching his bone as he prepared to leap for Zapdos. This time, Zapdos dropped his attempts to belittle Tristan, wasting no time in going into his next attack. Having already plenty of electrical charge from his previous attack, he spread his wings again, this time summoning electricity from the clouds above, just as he had done when attacking Articuno.

Tristan lunged for Zapdos, just as Zapdos brought down a tremendous bolt of lightning from the heavens above; both attacks hit their mark at exactly the same moment. However, only one attack actually had its desired effect.

Zapdos was knocked back, having just taken a hit to the stomach. He fell back first onto the ground, winded from the impact. Tristan landed nearby, unscathed, without a single scratch or scrape on him. He had just been struck with the strongest electric attack that Zapdos could muster, no; he had been struck by several of his attacks, each time taking no damage. Surely this was no mere coincidence. There must have been a reason for this. Quickly, he glanced over his body, wondering perhaps if being a Cubone had anything to do with it.

“What the-!” Zapdos roared in frustration as he stood up to glare at Tristan. “…What just-? You shoulda- But I- You shouldn’t even have a pulse anymore! You should be-”

“Are you really that much of an idiot Zapdos!?” Articuno called from his rack. While he couldn’t help but be amused by how much trouble Zapdos was having, he also had to shake his head in embarrassment. “He’s a ground Pokemon!”

“Ground Pokemon!” Zapdos repeated, slapping himself in the face with his wing. “Of course he’s a ground Pokemon! I should’ve known that!”

“Uh…” Tristan said, confused by this fact. Did that perhaps mean that ground Pokemon were strong against electricity, as Water was to fire. Perhaps this wasn’t so bad after all. Better yet, he might even have an advantage!

“You were lucky till now!” Zapdos spat, stepping towards Tristan. “I don’t only have electric attacks, ya know! What kind of legendary would that make me?” Tristan had already lunged with another bone-club, but Zapdos was ready this time, jumping back then leaping forward into flight directly for Tristan. Before Tristan realized it, Zapdos’ long and pointy beak had jabbed into his shoulder, penetrating the skin. Tristan desperately tried to swing at Zapdos with his uninjured arm, but he had already retreated to the air, far out of his range.

A sudden stinging pain struck his shoulder, causing his legs to buckle beneath his weight. He fell to his knees as he clutched hard on his shoulder, perhaps a little too hard. Blood began to seep from between his fingers where the beak had stabbed him. Wasting no time, he grabbed the green scarf from around his neck, throwing it on the ground to reveal its contents: one Oran Berry and four seeds. Quickly, he tossed the Oran Berry into his mouth, and held onto the four seeds for safekeeping.

Tristan removed his hand from his wound, seeing that the Oran Berry had managed to stop his bleeding, though the pain from the wound remained. He suddenly realized that being immune to lightning didn’t make him safe in the slightest. He should have realized that when he saw that rapier of a beak. He really would need all the help he could get. One wrong move and who knew what could happen.

Zapdos landed beside him. “You thought you had me there, didn’t you!” he laughed mirthlessly. Tristan turned his head, angry that Zapdos’s cockiness was returning to him. “Even though you may have the type advantage, you still are no match for me! Are you watching now, Articuno?”

“I’m so proud of you,” Articuno answered sarcastically from his rock. “I have a gummy for you when this is over.”

“I’ll deal with you next! So better watch what you say!” Zapdos shouted back. He turned to face Tristan. “I’ll make this quick. AGILITY!” Seconds later, he leapt into the air, seeming to vanish. Tristan took a double take before he realized that Zapdos hadn’t vanished, but his speed had increased drastically. His eyes darted from place to place, barely keeping up with the electric bird. He was almost as fast as the lightning he attacked with. “You won’t get out of this alive!” he could hear Zapdos cackle from above.

Tristan clutched the small collection of seeds harder, realizing that they were now his only chance at survival. He didn’t even know what they did. He had only picked them up while he had been wandering. Now he regretted not learning about seeds earlier. Such a situation was not the time to be testing this!

Out of the corner of his eye, Tristan could see Zapdos dart in his direction, his beak aimed straight for him. It was now or never! Tristan raised one seed to his mouth, praying it was the right one.

To be continued…

No need to call me by my full name. Focus will do just fine. Or you can call me FPE. You can save a second of writing that way! (and save me a second of reading *grins maniacally* Step 1 in world domination complete! Ah-Uh... I mean... um... well you see... grr... foiled again!)

BLAST SEED TO THE FACE!

Haha, I'm growing to like the duo of Articuno and Zapdos. Zapdos's exclamations and Articuno's sarcasm just brings a smile to my face when they're together. XD

I also think the part where it's confirmed that Totodile and Torchic didn't really believe Tristan was human. It's a nice change from other pokemon partners that completely believe that he's some weird creature they've never seen before. Kinda makes me think there.

(Of course, that might've been mentioned in an earlier chapter, but my memory isn't the best. x_x)

Anyway, great chapter! I don't see anything particularly wrong grammatically or otherwise.

Click above to view
    Chapter 5 Up!
    Pleasedon'teatme...
    Banner made by me.

(It would be just Tristan's luck if he ended up eating a Blinker seed... T-T)

Ahem. FOCUS!! You made us all wait! D: *whistles, causing Raichu, Blaziken, and Absol to appear*

All three: AMBUSH!! *nails FPE with barrage of water balloons*

...hah, I'm just kidding there. Glad the chapter's finally up. ^-^ *hands FPE a towel*

“What the-!” Zapdos roared in frustration as he stood up to glare at Tristan. “…What just-? You shoulda- But I- You shouldn’t even have a pulse anymore! You should be-”
    “I’m so proud of you,” Articuno answered sarcastically from his rock. “I have a gummy for you when this is over.”
    LMAO!! XD These are my new favorite fanfic quotes!

A few spelling errors, but that was minor. I liked your description of the environment-interactions, the attacks, item usage, etc, etc., etc....oh, yes, need I rant on again about how completely obsessed I have become with this fic?? KEEP IT UP!! ^-^

Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien

oh my, a truly thrilling chapter we have here.

I liked the way you used zapdos beak, Imagining that sword of a beak spiked into your skin isn't pleasent.

But anyway, horray for a little violence, I was just in the right mood for a chapter like this, and you definatly delivered.

Another thing I think you did well, was how torchic accidently let slip about tristan to moltres, you could feel that she was so nervous that she coudn't even think straight there. (poor torchic)

Totodile is also proving to be quite the tactician as well too, although if moltres used sky attack it could be trouble...

overall a great actiony chapter, can't wait for the next chapter ^^

sorry for not replying in a while.

The fight scenes seem much more memorable than I remember them from before. The action and humor are excellent. I also liked the awkward dialogue between Moltres, Torchic, and Totodile before they fought. I suppose getting threatened would make it hard to think of what to say.

Link to my fanfic.
    I was Superkeeleybro on Nsider
    Another great fanfic is The Saga of Team Supernova by FPE

Well...
    I couldn't find any typos so it looks like you've mastered that arts of writing, unlike some other people...

Also, you do make some nice use of similes, & the fights with Supernova & the legendary birds has got my blood-frenzy going.

Now that you are well rested, FPE, you should be making update more often, Hmmm?

heh, that figures... the last time i logged off was about ten minutes before you said the chapter'd be up, and then i discovered NSider2 and forgot about this for a couple days...

oops, lost my train of thought. anydangways, this chapter combined three things I love about this story: the great battles, the great attack description, and of course the great humor.

“Even though you may have the type advantage, you still are no match for me! Are you watching now, Articuno?”

upon reading this line, I flat-out burst out laughing. and that's saying something, since I don't usually laugh at stories.
    Author's Profile

Some stories I reccomend reading:

The Saga of Team Supernova By: FocusPresenceEndurance
    Lost Evolution By: elyvorg
    And my new story:
    Fading Tendrils

Thank you everyone for your comments. I see that lots of people enjoy the little bickering I put in between Zapdos and Articuno. Well I'm glad to entertain you if that is the case. Nothing like a bit of comic relief to lighten the mood.

@ Glitch: Articuno and Zapdo's personalities clash so nicely don't they? They definitely do allow for some very interesting situations. Which also happens to be fun to write the dialog for ^^.

@ Koridojo_Blaziken: ;_; I'm all wet... sniff sniff ACHOO!!! Gee thanks a lot...

Hmmm... yes, what kind of seeds is Tristan holding? That is a good question. One that you will have to wait for the answer. Now the question is, how lucky will Tristan get? Only time will tell! (I'm using the suspense tactic to get revenge at you for throwing water balloons at me >=). And wouldn't it be nice if I waited another several months to post the next chapter. Now that would be mean.)

also, if there were any spelling errors, I would like them to be made known so I can fix them right away.

@ Somorio: I actually got inspired to use the word rapier from Fire Emblem 7. Elliwood's main weapon. But anyway... glad you liked it. I'll see what I can do on the action side of things next chapter too.

@ Apotheosis: Well that would be because... the fight scenes were really bad in the original ^^''. Oh boy those sure were fun to edit over... Oh boy.

@ Brumrha: Oh. Hehehe... more often you say... hehe... hehe... Well actually that is very likely. I just finished the last day of my summer job today, and I will have 2 weeks free before school. So I hope to get 2 more chapters in before then. Wish me luck!

@ Blademaster_Jale: Oh yeah, I meant to make an account there. There are a bunch of people there who would recognize me. ... don't know why I haven't yet though... oh well.

@ Former readers when I was on nsider: Next chapter will be seeing a pretty drastic change. When I say that, I mean you really will notice a difference. Meaning you couldn't even miss it even if you were skimming it. Just something to look forward too.

Thanks again for all the comments!

D: Aw, c'mon! I wasn't even the one who threw the water balloons at you!

It was mostly Raichu and Blaziken. >B)

~J.R.R. Tolkien

*Runs to computer*

Sorry about the delay. You caught me while I was at the beach. So let's see what happened here.

Totodile and Torchic certainly found themselves in quite the pickle there, didn't they? Perhaps they shouldn't have said they were looking for a human, or they might have got away.

Pretty funny how it took Zapdos a few attacks to realize that Tristan was a Ground-type. Certainly provided Articuno with some material to bash him with. And Tristan, I know all too well about pain in the shoulder. My shoulder still hurts from getting smashed to the ground by a wave yesterday. *Rubs shoulder* And having my brother twist it awkwardly today. Wait, don't eat that seed! That's a Vile Seed that I took away from Bulbasaur the other day!

You certainly left both parts with interesting cliffhangers. Wonder what seed Tristan's about to swallow? And how will Torchic and Totodile survive Heat Wave (I think I have a guess as to how)?

It looks good to me. As I have said so many times before, I really suck at looking for errors, so I leave that up to others to do. Now I must return to watching the Olympics. Oh yeah, as well as writing my story. Can't forget about that. *Starts working on story at feverish pace*

Now being reposted!

Really awesome chapter.End of story.Oh,dang it,I made a stupid pun.

OK, so its been more than a week, but it sure as heck has been less than a month. At least I'm happy about that!

@ Koridojo_Blaziken: Well sure you didn't throw the balloons yourself. But you are still responsible for your Pokemon's actions (no matter how free spirited they may be.) So... just for that, I'm going to wait, like, 5 months before posting the next chapter >8D.

@ PokemonHero: Oh boy, it seems like Tristan is just dragging them down into his troubles with him doesn't it?

Hmm... you think you've seen pain? Oh just wait till the next chapter (which is not coming in five months just to let you know, I was only joking ^^)

But don't you just love cliffhangers? Oh well, I suppose I've kept you in suspense long enough. Your questions will be answered shortly! Tell me what your guess was after reading please (I think there will be a few surprises though).

@ Everyone: Also, for any of you who are interested, the next chapter has probably seen the biggest transformation since I posted it on Nsider. It should be a fresh experience for everyone. It also is my longest chapter yet. So... Enjoy!

Chapter 21

The Tools of Survival. The Pain of Remorse.

It could only be described as a huge wall of fire was as Totodile looked back. “No! Torchic!” he cried, as he watched the flames engulf the small orange-feathered body of his friend. There was nothing he could do for her now. The flames continued to spread out in all directions, moving with ravenous speed. Dodging it and outrunning it were out of the question and not even his detect band could save him now. He dived to the ground and barely managed to curl himself into a ball and cover his face before he, too, became engulfed in flames.

The next thing Totodile felt was excruciating pain all over his body, as if he’d just been thrown into a furnace. Nothing he’d ever done in his training, nothing he’d ever done in his missions and nothing he’d ever done before in his entire life could have prepared him for the pain he was enduring now. He writhed and screamed at the top of his lungs even after the attack had passed. His skin stung afterwards when the cool air of the mountain pressed against his now raw and sensitive skin.

Out of breath, he lay motionless on the ground, panting heavily as he tried to overcome his pain. Inches in front of him, the blurry image of an Oran Berry lay on the ground, though it was singed to the point where the skin had been charred black. He didn’t care; he reached for the berry, his skin stinging as it stretched with his arm. Grabbing it, he stuffed it in his mouth, ignoring the hideous taste. Despite the fact that the attack had been so hot, the interior of the berry had managed to retain a good portion of its moisture, allowing at least a bit of the nutrients to take effect. At last his pain subsided to a bearable level allowing him to make some sense of the world him.

A low chuckling noise could be heard. Totodile staggered to his feet, squinting through his blurry eyes towards the sound. As his vision cleared, he saw Moltres standing a short distance away, not only laughing, but also panting heavily. His flame was also much weaker than before. This attack, though it was indeed strong, must certainly have required an enormous amount of energy. Moltres had obviously thought that he could end this battle in one attack.

Moltres stopped laughing, however, the second his eyes met Totodile’s. “Hmph,” he panted. “I see my justice still hasn’t managed to reach you.”

Totodile ignored him, glancing to where he had last seen Torchic. She had received the attack head on and now lay motionless on the ground before the great bird. Many of her feathers, despite being heat resistant, had been singed, her defense scarf now nothing more than a charred piece of fabric.

“No!” he thought in despair. “It… it… it can’t be!” Torchic… gone? The thought was unthinkable and Totodile quickly pushed the thought from his mind, refusing to believe it. But no matter hard he tried; he could never rid himself of it entirely, leaving the little hint of doubt in his mind to linger.

Moltres must have read Totodile’s thoughts. The next moment, he tilted his head down look at Torchic. Moltres lifted his head again, a slight grin spreading across his face. To Totodile's horror, he moved to press a talon down on Torchic’s body, in an attempt to crush what little life she might have had left.

“One down,” he said.

Totodile could barely contain himself. In a burst of anger and sorrow, he sprinted towards Moltres gathering all the strength he could into another water gun. In those moments, he felt no pain. It was as if all his pain had been numbed by his emotions. “Don’t touch her!” he raged.

He opened his mouth, releasing a deluge of water. His detect band, though badly singed, still aided him in his attack. Moltres had jumped quickly into the air, but before he could escape, Totodile managed to clip his wing. The bird lost control and vanished amidst the steam, hopefully long enough for Totodile to save his friend.

“Torchic?” Totodile asked as he reached her, throwing himself to her side. “Can you hear me? Oh please, say something!” There was no answer. “Torchic! No games! Please, wake up!” but still Torchic did not respond. Totodile felt his insides beginning to become hollow as he tried to deny what he was seeing. He gently shook her, hoping that she would snap out of whatever she was in, but to no avail. “No. Don’t do this to me! You can’t! You just can’t! Not now!” How could this happen? What had they done to deserve this? Everything was so confusing. This pointless battle had seemed completely senseless right from the beginning.

No, he wouldn’t accept it. He couldn’t accept it. Not yet anyway. He hurriedly scanned the ground around them, there had to be something that could help them. His eyes focussed on another charred Oran Berry a short distance away, and nearby there were two other berries. These berries were small, pale and blue and slightly cone shaped. Its protective skin was speckled completely with tiny black seeds. These berries, unlike the Oran Berry, were both relatively intact, completely unaffected by the fire that had swept by. Totodile recognized them immediately as Rawst Berries.

He dashed over to them, picking all three up hastily before heading back towards Torchic. As he ran, he stuffed one of the Rawst Berries in his mouth, allowing his own burns to heal. Almost instantly the stinging pain over most of his body began to subside.

Totodile reached her side to attempt to wake her again, but before he could his senses warned him of another impending attack. Totodile moved to avoid it, but after battling for so long now and after taking such a large amount of damage, his movements had become sluggish. Before he even had time to see it coming, he had been struck full force in the back.

With the berries falling out of his hands, he flew across the rocky landscape, tumbling and rolling to a stop in front one of the larger rocks. He suddenly grasped for one of his ribs, feeling a sudden surge of pain. This time he was sure of it. Something was broken. He tried to stand up, but his body, which had been strained to its limits, was beginning to fail him. He heard Moltres land in front of him, and knew that the legendary bird staring downwards directly at him.

“Your life ends here,” he heard Moltres say, in a low calm voice devoid of emotion.

So this was it. This was how it all ends. This is what everything he had ever done led to. Had everything he had ever done all been in vain? Did his life truly… amount to nothing? But there was still so much that he hadn’t done yet. So many things in life that he had yet to accomplish. Why had he done everything he had done in the first place? He never had gone into rescuing for the money, nor the fame, though he did let it get to his head at times. He’d done it to save the innocent, to save his best friends and most of all, to save his parents. No! It couldn’t end here! It wouldn’t end here!

The next thing Totodile knew, he was on his feet, panting as his arms hung loosely from his shoulders. He couldn’t explain what force allowed him to stand other than sheer will, but even as he stood he wobbled from side to side. His appearance, however, deceived how he truly felt. Something was changing within him. His mind was ready to keep fighting; now all he needed was the strength to back him up.

Suddenly, as if understanding his emotions, his entire body began to glow. Bright light emanated from his skin as he felt his body begin to grow and change. It was a sensation unlike anything he had ever felt before in his life. In only a matter of moments, the process had ceased, and a completely new Pokemon stood in Totodile’s place.

He had retained the pail blue colour over most of his body, however, he now had beige skin that wrapped across his body, under his shoulder on one side, and over his shoulder on the other. There were oddly shaped patches on his new beige skin, though, that had also retained its original blue. As well, the beige colour was also found under his now impressive jaws. Three large red spikes protruded from the top of his head, two more from his back and one final spike at the end of his tail. Not only had he practically doubled in height, but this new appearance also made him look much more intimidating than he had been before. Now, he no longer stood before Moltres as a Totodile, but now, as a Croconaw.

Moltres gave an angry growl. “You…” he snarled. “The destruction of the world is so important to you that you would even evolve to see it done?”

“No,” the reptile answered returning Moltres’s look with equal ferocity. He still suffered from exhaustion and pain but now with his newfound strength, he felt he could overcome any obstacle he was confronted with, even the power of a legendary. “I don’t fight to destroy. I never have. Right now, I am fighting to save my friend! And he means enough to me that even if I had to evolve to save him, I would!”

Moltres took a couple seconds to register the information, but then just as quickly shook it off. “SILENCE! I don’t believe you! You- you are the ones responsible for the damage that’s been done to this world! I- I know what you’re up to. You’re trying to squirm your way out of this, but mark my words, you will never succeed!”

“How’s this for squirming!” Croconaw shouted, lunging forward, brandishing his claws. He swung his arm down with all his might, but Moltres leapt back, retreating again into the steam yet again.

“Quit hiding you coward!” he called after him, surprising even himself with his nerve. “You think you’ll get me with this lame trick again?”

Only seconds later, a flicker of red appeared within the steam to the right and Croconaw turned to face it. Moltres emerged only to be met with a fierce and terrifying scary face, startling him so badly; he practically stalled in midair.

Croconaw drew his head back, bringing water into his mouth, preparing another water gun. Just before he unleashed his attack, however, a new thought struck his mind. No, water gun wasn’t enough. Something else would be needed to finish this.

“WATER PULSE!!” he cried, as he lunged his head forward, releasing a large ball of water. Seconds after it was released, the ball quickly took the form of a ring which continued to soar towards Moltres. Moltres saw it coming, but could do nothing to avoid it.

A loud thump resonated in the air the moment the attack made contact. It was not only water that had hit Moltres, but also something that had been propelling the water from behind. The water had struck him like bricks, but it was this force that had been pushing the water that had given the biggest impact.

For once, Moltres was the one thrust back, sent crashing into the hard ground of the mountain. Clouds of steam rose into the air as he stood up again, wobbling and stumbling as he tried getting his bearings. Dazed, he looked around, as if the world around him had turned upside down. “Wh- Wherareyou,” he hollered, slurring his words. He began striking at the air wildly, panting furiously. “You won’t win! You can’t defeat me! I am the embodiment of fire!”

Croconaw wasted no time in continuing his attack. He dashed forward towards the confused bird, leaping up into the air, coming down upon him with another scratch attack, this time connecting and striking clean across the birds face. But what had done significant damage to his opponent, was also enough to bring him back to his senses.

Moltres roared in frustration as a drop of blood dripped down his cheek. If there was anything that made a legendary bird angry, especially Moltres, it was causing them to bleed. He countered with his own attack, striking Croconaw under the jaw with his wing, quickly following with another strike across the cheek. The next thing he knew, he had landed stomach first on the ground again, his broken rib reminding him just how much pain he was in. He tried to stand, but before he could, he felt Moltres’ talons come down upon his shoulders, pinning him against the ground.

Above him, Croconaw could hear Moltres panting heavily with exhaustion, perhaps almost to the degree that he himself was. But now, no matter how he struggled, Croconaw could not bring himself to pushing Moltres off. Pinned down, the best thing he could do was wiggle and squirm until the inevitable came.

But… but he evolved! That had to count for something! He had been told in so many stories that an evolution would turn the tide of battle. But here he was, defeated and waiting for death. There was nothing more he could do, and as he realized this, all the remaining hope he had held onto began to slip away. Tears of frustration began to return to his eyes upon realizing his bleak position.

His eyes opened, suddenly. He barely noticed it, but there had been a flash of motion in the corner of his eye. The next thing he knew, there was a startled shriek from above, and Moltres’ weight was lifted.

“YOU LITTLE PIECE OF-” Moltres hollered.

“SAND ATTACK!” a familiar voice sounded.

Croconaw stood up immediately, seeing Torchic and Moltres standing before him. Moltres was flailing in pain from taking another well-aimed sand attack to the face.

“Torchic!” he cried.

Torchic whipped to face him. She was still badly burned, her feathers still singed, but she must have managed to eat the berries he had gotten for her. “Hurry up Totodile!” she urged him. “Use that move again!”

Croconaw didn’t hesitate. He gathered the remainder of his strength into one final attack. Moltres looked up; his eyes finally clear of sand. For the second time, he saw the attack coming, and for the second time, found dodging it impossible.

A loud thump rocked the mountainside. Ripples of sound moved through the air in a powerful shock wave, which had even caused both Torchic and Croconaw to fall to the ground. Like a rocket, Moltres blasted through the air until a large stone abruptly interrupted his flight path. Then, silently, he fell to the ground, unconscious and finally defeated.

Both Torchic and Croconaw stood in silence, staring at the unconscious Pokemon. His flame was now no more than a flicker, and with him unconscious, the air slowly began to chill to the freezing temperatures they had felt before. The steam had also begun to clear; leaving only a few distant plumes of steam in the sky. The familiar sight of the stars twinkled in the sky above them, as if telling them that their trial was over. Had they actually done it? Had they actually managed to defeat… a legendary? If they could have, they would have celebrated. But they were both physically and mentally exhausted.

“We…” Croconaw mumbled dumbly. “We did that.”

“No,” Torchic replied, staggering to his side. “You did that.” She turned to face him. She suddenly realized how much taller he’d become. She couldn’t even measure up to half of his height. “You… evolved.”

“Yeah, I suppose I did.” Croconaw answered, glancing over himself for the first time. He didn’t even have time to enjoy his evolution. When he did, he had just gone straight back to battling. But as he looked, he couldn’t help but get a little feeling of pride. Evolving was something his parents had always told him about, and how they would celebrate the day that he did. If only they could see him now.

“And…” she added. “You’re… really big.”

Like a bolt of lightning, Zapdos darted through the air, pointing his beak directly towards Tristan. With all other options gone, Tristan flung one of his only lifelines into his mouth.

He bit down hard, but as he did, he felt the piercing pain of Zapdos’ beak in his thigh. But an even greater burning pain inside his mouth immediately overpowered the pain in his leg. The seed was spicy! No, not just spicy, he felt like he had eaten lava! Unable to contain it any longer, he cried out in pain, trying to spit the seed back out before it burned his entire mouth.

Zapdos shrieked as he took a face full of flames and pieces of seed. Upon making contact with him, the remaining pieces of seed burst creating miniature blasts. The electric bird staggered back, covering his face with his wings.

“HOT!!” Tristan cried out, tears forming in his eyes. But just as quickly as the pain had struck, it had subsided, leaving the inside of his mouth completely numb. With the short lived pain now gone, the pain in his leg returned to him, reminding Tristan that he had been stabbed. “MY LEG!!”

It was bleeding, and badly too. But there was nothing he could do about it; he had already eaten his only Oran Berry. He tried his best to cover the wound with his hand, but to no avail. He’d just have to keep fighting, and pray that it would heal itself.

“What have you done?” Zapdos growled, his eyes flashing in anger as he revealed his face. All the bright yellow feathers on his face had been singed, with little black speckles where the seeds had hit. “You little piece of s**t! What have you done to my face? You’ll pay for this!” He leapt into the air, shrieking with anger. “I hope you like acupuncture!”

Articuno couldn’t restrain himself from giving a slight chuckle as he watched from his rock. This entertainment was too good to be true. Zapdos was actually having difficulty in killing the human. He quickly stopped, though, reminding himself the seriousness of the situation. This was, after all, the human that would cause the destruction of the world if he weren’t killed. On one hand, he wanted to see Tristan win, just out of spite towards Zapdos. But he knew that if Zapdos lost, it would bad news for all of them. For the time being, he remained silent and watched on.

“You were lucky!” Zapdos shouted from the sky. Tristan looked up to see Zapdos preparing to lunge at him again. He was still as fast as ever, giving him little time to prepare for the attack. Tristan bit down on his second seed, hoping equal success.

Zapdos stopped the second he had reached the Cubone. Or at least where the Cubone used to be… He had vanished, disappearing without a trace. All that remained were droplets of his blood splattered on the ground. “Wh- Where did he go?”

“BONE-CLUB!!” Tristan cried, from above, as he came down from the sky upon Zapdos. He himself couldn’t explain what had just happened. One moment he was about to be struck. The other moment it was almost as if he had warped up into the air above himself. Before Zapdos could react, Tristan brought his bone hard down upon the bird’s neck, causing him to fall to the ground.

Zapdos immediately returned to his feet, flapping his wings furiously as he turned back to face Tristan. His eyes blazed with anger. If Tristan had removed his yellow feathers, he was sure that the bird would have appeared red. “If you knew how much I despised you right now-!” he hollered, cutting himself off in his rage. “I’ll turn you into a pin cushion!!”

Tristan paid no attention, deciding it was his turn to go on the offensive. He tossed seed number three into his mouth and began to sprint forward. Moments after biting down this time, as he ran, everything around him began to slow down, as if time itself was stopping. Zapdos appeared to be standing still, with those hateful eyes staring a little ways behind him. Tristan dashed towards him, throwing his entire body, skull first at the bird.

Zapdos began to fall backwards, his expression one of utter shock. Seeing this, Tristan suddenly realized that the world around him hadn’t slowed down, instead, it was he who had sped up. The seed must have somehow made everything about him quicker. Upon realizing this, he darted from one place to another, causing the bird to swing his head in all directions trying to keep up.

Seeing an opening, Tristan hurled his bone towards Zapdos, hitting him squarely in the head, then hurled himself at his wing for another head but. He caught his bone, immediately following through with several bone clubs until the effects of the seed had worn off.

Tristan suddenly found himself tired and weak. It was as if everything had sped up except for his sense of touch. Now, the pain in his leg returned, feeling almost as if he had been stabbed a second time. He looked down to see that his wound had still not managed to heal, and was still dripping with blood. His leg gave out beneath him, causing him to fall to his knees.

Zapdos was also in a poor state, much as how Articuno looked when Tristan had fought him. “I… I’m not done yet!” he claimed defiantly, staggering to his feet as he winced in pain. “If I fail, who knows what will happen!”

“Why don’t you do me a favour and find out!” Tristan answered.

Tristan looked into the palm of his hand, in which he held onto his last seed. This seed contained his only hope at coming out of this battle alive. This was the seed that would end it all, and he would be free from all this horror. Slowly, he raised the seed up to his mouth.

“No!” Zapdos cried out, partly in anger and partly in despair. Suddenly, in a desperate move, he gathered electricity over his head and with a mighty screech, sent it thundering toward Tristan.

“What are you doing?” Articuno called out in exasperation. “Has your brain been so damaged that you forgot what you’re dealing with? You know that electric attacks won’t-!”

But Articuno quickly silenced as he looked back at Tristan, who had frozen in place, the seed inches from his mouth. He tried desperately to move his hand, but nothing happened. He was frozen there, unable to move even a single muscle. He watched as the seed slipped out of his fingers, and fell to the ground.

“Just as I thought!” Zapdos exclaimed with excitement. “My electric attack may not hurt him! But I can still stun him! I should have done this from the beginning! Now this will be easy!” As he said this, he leapt into the air, again using agility.

Feeling suddenly returned to Tristan’s body and Tristan immediately bent down retrieve his seed. There was a flash of movement in front of him, but as he looked up, it was too late. Tristan felt a stab of pain as Zapdos’ beak entered his shoulder for the second time, hitting him in the exact same place as before. Before he knew it, he had been stabbed again in the lower back and again in his other shoulder. He fell forward, catching his fall with his hands. He coughed, and began to taste the metallic taste of blood in his mouth. The pain was overwhelming, but in his blurry vision, down on the ground right before his eyes was the seed. The blasted seed, always eluding him, denying him his salvation. He made one final attempt to seize it.

“I’ll be taking that,” Zapdos laughed triumphantly, plucking the seed away with his long beak. Tristan looked up; his stomach had suddenly become hollow as he watched his last hope fall into enemy possession. This was it. He was doomed. Nothing would save him now. Why? Why did this have to happen?

“How was that Articuno?” Zapdos said, looking back to his little audience.

“You seem to be under the impression that I care.” Articuno said coolly. “And you also seem to be under the impression that you’ve won.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Maybe if you looked behind you you’d understand. The human tends to be quite resilient to anything that is thrown at him. Surely you don’t think that I would have lost if he was as weak as you thought.”

Zapdos turned around to see that Tristan was back on his feet. But he was sure that all four of his attacks had been deep. Apparently, they weren’t quite deep enough. Blood trickled out of all four wounds, including his mouth. His skin was even beginning to lose its colour.

Zapdos rolled his eyes, flapping over to confront Tristan. “Why bother?” he demanded impatiently. “Can’t you see you’ve lost? You might have been spared if you had played dead, you know?”

Articuno had asked a very similar question back on the peak of Frosty Forest. Back then, Tristan had been trying to avenge the death of his friends, who had turned out to be safe and sound anyway. But this time, Tristan wasn’t so sure. Why was he fighting? What was he fighting for exactly? Was it perhaps just the fact that he wanted to live? But then… what would he gain from living now? He had no friends, everyone hated him, and the destruction of the world was apparently going to be… his fault.

“What’s the matter?” Zapdos said, popping the seed into his mouth. “Finally realizing what’s good for this world? Here, let me end your misery!” Zapdos took to the sky, but almost immediately dropped out of the sky. He crashed into the ground a few seconds later and to Tristan’s shock, began to snore.

Articuno stared blankly for a moment, unable to conjure any words or expressions to display his feelings. “That lucky devil…” he uttered under his breath. “You can’t be serious.”

Tristan could also only manage to stare at the yellow bird, who had landed feet away from him. Zapdos was completely knocked out and from the seed no less, the seed that he had been clinging onto. The seed that he had only seconds ago depended on with his life. The fact that it had turned out to induce sleep didn’t amuse him in the slightest. Rather, it left him horrified. What would have happened if he had eaten it? He couldn’t even bring himself to think of it.

He glanced over as Articuno jumped off his perch, and began to head in his direction, limping slightly. The notion of fighting him hadn’t even occurred to Tristan. Would he have to fight him, too? He didn’t know if he could handle it. No. He knew that he couldn’t fight this bird again, especially in his condition. He tried to assume a defensive stance, but only managed to fall over again. He simply could no longer bring himself to move.

“Totodi- erm… I mean Croconaw,” Torchic said. “Do you really think we’ll be able to find Tristan?”

By now, the two were long gone from the battle ground where they had fought Moltres, and were continuing to make their way across the side of the mountain. After the battle, they had tried to gather the remainder of the berries and seeds that had fallen out of their toolbox, eating some of them to regain some of their strength. The berries weren’t enough to heal them very well, due to the bad condition they found them in, but they were enough to allow them to keep going. Croconaw, being the largest now, was left in charge with carrying the toolbox.

“I…” Croconaw said, looking beside him. He, too, had not fully grown used to his new height. He tilted his head down to look at her. “I don’t know. I don’t even know what to say to him when we do find him.” He closed his eyes and paused a moment before continuing. “How could I have been so stupid? How could I have been so… selfish?”

“It wasn’t just you,” she answered, placing a wing on his leg. “It was both of our faults.”

“No, it really was me! I was the one who convinced you to play along with him. I was the one with the thoughtless dream that he would lead us to greatness. I was the one who lied right to his face telling him that we believed him. Wh- what kind of person am I to use his best friend as a tool?”

“I would have stopped you if I thought what you were doing was wrong. But I didn’t, and here we are.”

This was true. Torchic usually was the one who intervened in case things became out of hand. Perhaps they were both to blame after all. They walked in silence, the sickening feeling of guilt weighing down on them.

“And then all this turned out to be true,” he continued, breaking the silence. “He really did turn out to be a human. We weren’t only using him, but we were using him successfully.” Frustrated, he clenched his fists tightly. “I never imagined this when I first met him. I never imagined how I would feel now.”

“I know,” Torchic answered grimly. “I don’t think either of us were really thinking ahead.”

Another long silence ensued before Croconaw interrupted it again. “What was Moltres talking about anyway? He attacked us because… we were aiding in the destruction of the world?”

“I… don’t know,” Torchic said, equally confused. “He didn’t seem very violent at first. But the moment he learned we were friends with Tristan he became furious.”

“He… said that we interfered with Articuno’s plans to kill him back in Frosty Forest. Why is everyone after Tristan? And why do they think he will destroy the world?”

“Maybe that’s another reason why we should find him. Maybe he knows something we don’t.”

“Maybe…” Croconaw finished, returning to his thoughts.

The two continued walking through the cold night air in silence, wondering about the answers their questions might bring. Would they actually want to know them though? Better yet, would they actually find Tristan? He might not have even been on this mountain. As they walked, they couldn’t help but wonder if all their efforts gone to waste.

Tristan grasped for his bone as Articuno came close, though he didn’t know what good it would do. With one icy attack he would surely kill him. He managed to tilt his head upward, enough to see the birds gray talons in front of him.

“You may lower your guard,” he said calmly. “I’m not going to kill you.”

Huh? What was this? Had Tristan actually heard him right? He managed to raise his head higher to look into the bird’s eyes. “You’re… not?” he asked cautiously.

Articuno took another moment to think. “No, though I know I probably should.”

Tristan still didn’t understand, but he didn’t dare ask about it.

Articuno, however, had managed to pick up on his confusion. “Look Tristan,” he said, startling Tristan to hear his name spoken. “There’s something you need to understand. We legendaries are just as capable of reason as any other Pokemon. You haven’t seen that side of us, and that is because of what we have been told about you.

“When I first met you, I thought you as being cruel and heartless. I was told, after all, that you were one of the Pokemon who would prevent the world from being saved. Therefore, I thought anyone who sided with you also evil. But when I fought you, however, a different picture was painted in how I saw you. You were not so cruel as I thought you to be, nor were you heartless. In fact, you were quite the opposite. You cared deeply for your friends, even to the point of lying your life on the line for them, and your friends were no different.”

Tristan’s eyes widened. Torchic… Totodile… How could he have forgotten about them? They were his first friends in this world. They were the only ones who had believed his story. They were the only ones who had stuck with him all this time. And then the last time he saw them, he had pushed them aside; his mind too focussed on the fact that Dave had forgotten him. What kind of a friend was he to just shove friends like them aside?

“When I watched you battle Zapdos, however,” Articuno continued. “You seemed different. You didn’t have an answer for him when he asked you what you fought for, which you had so confidently answered for me. What could have caused this? How did you come to be here on this mountain in the first place?”

Tristan looked up. He wasn’t expecting to be asked a question. “I…” Tristan began. “It’s hard to explain. A lot of things have been happening to me lately. I-”

The ice bird held up a wing, signaling him to stop. “You don’t need to tell me. You seem to be under a great deal of stress. Stress that won’t be mended by simple words of comfort. There, I cannot help you. But I did find it necessary to inform you that we are not as cruel and heartless as you might first have thought.” He glanced over at Zapdos, who still lay sleeping a short distance away. “Zapdos was much like I was back in Frosty Forest. But I don’t think he saw the side of you that I did. Should he wake, he may attack you again.”

“What should I do?” Tristan asked uncertainly.

“You would be wise to do nothing for now.” He quickly glanced over Tristan’s ravaged body. He was covered in dried blood, with some of his wounds still open. It was a miracle that he was even conscious given the damage he had taken. “Rest here for now. At least until you manage to recover somewhat. I will bring Zapdos to Frosty Forest with me.”

Tristan was confused. Zapdos would have killed Articuno had he not been there. Wouldn’t Articuno want to try to get even with him now, or eliminate the threat? “But he tried to kill you,” Tristan said, speaking his thoughts.

“Kill me?” the bird asked, surprised. “No, he wouldn’t dare kill me. He knows what the consequences would be should I die. We three are known as the Avian Elements. If one of us were to die, the entire balance of nature would be thrown off. The world would be in far worse a state than it is now. He may give me death threats, and he may be tempted to attack me at times, but he would never ever be able to bring himself to kill me.”

Tristan nodded slowly. He thought he understood. He still didn’t understand the change in heart though. All three of the legendaries had heard from Jirachi’s own lips that only his death would save the world. There was still something that didn’t add up.

“What will you do now?” he asked, carefully choosing his words. “In leaving me… aren’t you are going to fail in that task Jirachi gave you.”

“Yes,” Articuno answered. “I do realize this. But something does not seem right. Something about this Sanngot character, though I have never met him, seems very suspicious. I can sense it in Moltres and Zapdos too. We all feel that there is something we haven’t been told, or something that we have missed. I plan to go and do some further investigation into this matter, even if it does mean meeting Sanngot face to face.” He began to spread his wing, testing to see how far it would stretch. He winced slightly when he brought it to its full extent. He chuckled as he brought it back, looking at Tristan. “Almost healed. I think I’ll be able to fly at least a short distance while carrying this big fool.”

With this, he moved over to Zapdos, grabbing onto his shoulders with talons. He turned around to bid farewell to Tristan. While doing so, he turned to look even further past Tristan. “Ah, I believe those are your friends, are they not? Well, they’ll be able to sort those troubles of yours better than I can.”

Tristan watched as he flapped his wings awkwardly, slowly taking off from the ground, and gaining speed the further he went. Tristan stood in disbelief. He had seen a completely different side of Articuno. It was a side that had shown him understanding and kindness. A side that had shown him comfort in his most troubled time. Silently, he thanked the legendary bird, the one who had nearly cost him his life not very long ago.

Now, he could hear voices approaching in the distance from behind, the voices of his friends. What would he say to them? How could he explain his horrible behavior? Then another thought struck him. He never did tell them that there was anybody after his head in the first place? He knew he would have to tell them that, too.

He’d have to tell them that he had hidden it from them since Frosty Forest. How would they take it? Would they be offended that he never said anything? Would they trust him anymore? And what would they say when he told them what he heard from Jirachi? Would they stick with him after that? Would they really want to be friends with someone who might cause the destruction of the world? Many thoughts were cramming into him now, none of them pleasant.

But then, the most troubling thought entered his mind. What if they did forgive him? What if they decided to stick with him, despite what he had done, or might do? He had two attempts on his life already and there would surely be more. He couldn’t bear to see them come to harm. Maybe… he should leave them.

He gathered his thoughts, trying to figure out some way that he could explain himself. He took a big gulp, then turned to face them.

To be continued…
    Last edited by FocusPresenceEndurance; 28th August 2008 at 6:28 PM.

My prying eyes have found a typo!

Zapdos immediately returned to his feet, flapping his wings furiously as he turned back to face Tristan. His eyes blazed with anger. If Tristan had removed his yellow feathers, he was sure that the bird would have appeared red. “If you knew how much I despised you right now-!” he hollered, cutting himself off in his rage. “I’ll turn you into I pin cushion!!”
    The bold statement should be, “I’ll turn you into a pin cushion!!”

Of course, there might be many more...

Now that school is coming back, you'll probably be hard-pressed for time; which means that for us blazing-fast readers, we'll have a bloody long wait ahead...

Whew, plenty of happenings in this chapter. I see Glitch's guess of "Blast Seed to the face!" was correct. Also, one or two typos, including this one:

“I’ll turn you into I pin cushion!!”
    iPin, now being sold in an Apple store near you!

anyways, one of my favorite parts in this chapter would easily be the part where Zapdos simply dropped to the ground snoring. I was expecting something like that when he took it from Tristan, and you delivered. Great battles in this chapter, and nice to see Totodile evolve!
    Author's Profile

Some stories I reccomend reading:

The Saga of Team Supernova By: FocusPresenceEndurance
    Lost Evolution By: elyvorg
    And my new story:
    Fading Tendrils

Ima psychic, yo! XD

There were some typos, but the only one that was really noticeable was the iPin. XD And I'm too worn out from working on my own chapter to find the others. They were very small anyway, and they shouldn't affect you're writing quality at all, so don't worry.

An evolution huh? I wonder how Tristan's going to react to that. XD He probably didn't even know Pokemon evolved. Poor thing.

Articuno's a good guy. And Moltres is too, even if he did react violently, he didn't really know any better, though I think that hit to the head knocked him to his senses in any case. XD

Click above to view
    Chapter 5 Up!
    Pleasedon'teatme...
    Banner made by me.

@ Brumrha: Yes, thanks for noticing that. It managed to slip my eye somehow. =/

Oh, and I do hope to squeeze in one more chapter before school starts. So the wait for the next chapter may not take as long as you dread. We'll see how I can handle writing the next chapter. Wish me luck!

@ Blademaster_Jale: Grrrrr...... >=(

It's called the Ipin cushion! It plays your favourite music and doubles as a pin cushion for any of you out there who love to sew! Geez...

Anyway, thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. (BTW you double posted)

@ Glitch: Hehe... I call it luck...

Well, Croconaw does still look sorta like Totodile, but you're right in that there will be some explaining that needs to be done.

And yes, one of the main things I was trying to make aware in the story was that the legendary birds are not as "evil" as the once seemed. This will not be the last we see of them.

You were right about this being long...

Now, I never read the original, so I wouldn't really know what you change. But I have to say this was definitely my favorite chapter. The whole first part (ex. Totodile evolving) of the chapter caught me by surprise. I was expecting someone else to save them...oh well, this was actually better than what I was expecting.

Tristan certainly got lucky. I think everyone could guess the first seed was a Blast Seed. I imagine the ending of the battle was quite embarrassing for Zapdos (I guess that was the Vile Seed I took from Bulbasaur). It's good to know that the birds aren't too bad (though I didn't suspect they were).

So we will have a reuniting in the next chapter. Can't wait to see Tristan's reaction to meeting Toto-er I mean, Croconaw.

*Poked on shoulder*

Bulbasaur: Quit fooling around and finish the next chapter!

Sheesh, I told you I've been working on it. It's kinda tough when I've been busy with school or getting stuck in traffic. Anyway, nice job.

Now being reposted!

*calmly munching popcorn* Wow, that was an awfully fast five months. ^_^

Absol: *prods KB's shoulder* Hey, gimme some.
    Me: No. Getcher own.
    Absol: *Grumbles*

Anyways.

Not very mistakes I noticed, at least not that haven't been mentioned already. ^.^; Quite a few differences between the last time I read the chapter on Nintendoforums, though. O_O

Evolution, for one. Croconaw, yay! One of my favorite Pokemon. X3

And also the ending of the chapter. It was quite different--er! Wh-which isn't to say I didn't enjoy it! ^_^; I thought it was kinda cool that Articuno finally managed to get something in his brain besides feathers and snowflakes.

Articuno: Why, you--!!
    Me: Oh, hush. I killed you in my fic, remember? I could do it just as easily now. >B)
    Articuno: ....

Oh, yes, and the Avian Elements thing. I suppose that wouldn't have anything to do with my fic, would it? Lol jk.

Okay, and now here's Raichu with her commentary.

“You little piece of s**t! What have you done to my face? You’ll pay for this!”
    Raichu: OOOOOH!! *jumps around singing* Zapdos said the S-word, Zapdos said the S-word, Zapdos said the S-word! ^0^
    Me: ERm...yes...he did... *twitch* Oi, my characters are all becoming crazy...
    Raichu: *calms down* Sorry, minna. But crap, it just occured to me that Kori's gonna have to change the next few events of her fanfic, 'cause it's strangely similiar to this...
    Me: Crap...you're right... ^^U Anyways, FPE, I'm enjoying this fanfic as much as Raichu is!
    Dai: Probably more.
    Me: What? Oh, nevermind. Keep it up, or I'll bribe Azerie into helping us get more water balloons. ^_____^ *Evil grin*

~J.R.R. Tolkien

@ PokemonHero: This is just a guess, but did you perhaps guess that Dave and Alakazam would save them?

Originally, I was actually going to name what each seed was as they used them, but it worked much better if I described what the effects were. Just in case there was anyone was confused as to what some of the seeds used were, (this is to anyone BTW, not just PokemonHero, it just happened to be in my reply to his comment) here is a list of them in order.

Seed #1: Blast seed
    Seed #2: Warp seed
    Seed #3: Quick seed
    Seed #4: Sleep seed

I was also meaning to post the list anyway.

Yes, next chapter will be the chapter where Team Supernova is together again (finally). Look forward to some confusion and perhaps a bit of emotion.

@ Koridojo_Blaziken: The time suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure flies doesn't it?

Oh you noticed what the differences were did you? (JK) Yeah, anyway, this chapter was definitely in dire need for a change. IMO everything about the original was wrong. In the Nsider version, in the Moltres battle, I essentially copied off the PMD manga for those of you who read it. Not this time, this time I came up with my own way for them to win, and am very satisfied with the results. ^^

So you really did kill the legendary off did you? I thought it was still under speculation by the our hero's. Is this perhaps a bit of plot revealed by accident? Oh and have you forgotten what happens to him in m- ah, actually, never mind...

@ Raichu: Well now you know. You never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever tick Zapdos off, or else he will go all foul mouthed on you. (Wow that was punny XP)

Thank you both for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast