Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not What it Seems(A MM Zero fanfiction)

Default Not What it Seems(A MM Zero fanfiction)

Well, here goes. I got the green light from the mods, now I hope this will get better reception here than in FF.net.
    Pairing: Zero Ciel(later)
    Rating: PG-13 for some Reploid gore in later chapters.
    DISCLAIMER: Megaman Zero and its characters all belong to Capcom.
    A/N: Follows the same writing format of my other fics. The pairing will come at later chapters. Also, like Trials 1, some chapters are combined to make them longer.
    Short Summary: Zero is confused to which is real, which is a dream, and so will you. Takes place right after Megaman Zero 4. Please, PLEASE Review!
    Table of Contents:
    Chapter 1: Revival
    Log 1: All Just a Dream?
    Log 2: Awaken
    Log 3: Maverick Zero
    Log 4: A Memorial
    Log 5: Hunters vs. Maverick
    Log 6: No More Waiting

Chapter 2: Adjusting
    Log 7: A Promise Kept
    Log 8: Way of Life
    Log 9: Ciel the Ambassador
    Log 10: Revered

Chapter 3: Mavericks Again
    Log 11: Hunter and Hunted
    Log 12: Enter the Fire Lords

Log 1: All Just a Dream?

"Hey, HEY, Zero, snap out of it!"

"Huh? What-" The red Maverick Hunter turned around, and saw an enormous green hand trying to crush him. The other Hunter who shouted a warning, a black- and crimson reploid, piled a barrage of bullets from his dual pistols to drive the hand away.

When Zero finally realised where he was, he turned around to their target. It was Sigma, in one of his Ultimate Forms(specifically from X5). They were in a large canyon, where at the bottom of it Sigma stood, while Zero and fellow Hunter Axl are on top. But Sigma's height allowed him to reach them at those heights.

"Hey, Alia," the other Reploid cried to an unknown location. "We've got to stop now. Someone here isn't up to it today."

"Got it," Alia's voice, from out of nowhere, responded.

Simulation Override.

"Sigma", and the entire canyon disappeared, and was actually a hologram. Zero and Axl are actually revealed to be in the Maverick Hunter's battle simulator.

Axl walked up to Zero, holstering his pistols. "What's up with you, Zero? You certainly don't have your mind on training today."

"Sorry," Zero replied curtly.

Axl sighed comically as he noticed that his friend's head is still in the clouds. Just then, X walked in from the entrance to the simulator. "Okay, that was horrible, even for you, Axl," X said, which prompted a "Hey!" from the youngest of the three. "What happened?"

"Zero here has been daydreaming," Axl explained. "If this would have been real, then it's goodbye Maverick Hunter Zero, and we-"

Suddenly, Zero grabbed Axl by the collar of his suit, and slammed him against the wall! X immediately came in between them. "Zero, what are you doing?!"

Zero's outburst was too sudden, even for him. He didn't realis what he was doing until X stopped him. The red Hunter let go of Axl, and turned on his heels, leaving his friends without a word.

Axl tried to catch his breath. "What's his problem, huh? I was just joking, and-"

"Axl," X interrupted him. "Zero must have a lot on his mind lately. I'm sure he didn't mean it. I'll talk to him."

---

The aptly named "Blue Bomber" looked all around the Hunter Base to find his friend. Zero was found on the rooftop of the base, sitting against the door to the stariwell, obviously not wanting any company right now.

Without even saying anything, Zero suddenly told X, "I'm sorry about earlier. I don't know what came over me."

"It isn't me who you should apologize to, it's Axl," X replied. "Although, I think he may have forgotten about it already." X sat beside Zero. "So, what was it that happened earlier? Your mind certainly wasn't on the training then..."

"I just had this strange dream, that's all."

"Mind telling me what it was about?"

"You won't believe me."

"Try me."

"Fine. You've been warned." Zero told X of his weird dream: of the distant future, of Neo Arcadia and the "X" of that time, of Weil and Omega, and lastly, of those who resisted Neo Arcadia. X noticed that Zero had emphasis on the resistance, more specifically, someone in the resistance.

When Zero was finished, X has all this to say: "A world of tyranny, where reploids and humans alike are oppressed. That isn't a world of peace."

Zero glanced at his hands. "It all felt so real, that I-" He clenched those same fists, then punched the ground with them. "The dream ended when Ragnarok was about to fall into the sky, after I defeated Weil. Then, you guys woke me up. I don't know what happened next..."

X didn't say anything for a moment. He closed his eyes, lost in thought. When he finally spoke, he has this to say. "So... You think all this will happen in the future?"

"I'm not sure." Zero stood up, and re-entered the Maverick Hunter Base. No sooner was he at the top of the stairs did the alarm ring. It seems that there are new Mavericks appearing, causing trouble, worldwide. As Zero neared the briefing room, he reached for his Z-saber backwards, and gripped it hard. "Ciel, everyone, was it all just a dream?"

---

After being briefed on the Maverick Alarm, the three Hunters were dispatched to deal with the threats separately. Axl was sent to the frozen Antarctic Tundra; X went to the Ancient Mayan Ruins of Mexico; and Zero was deployed to the Eurasia crashsite.

The maverick threat in the latter location was a simple Mechaniloid rampage, which Zero can take care of without a hitch. However, his mind is on other things.

"Watch out!" a human scientist from behind him called out. Zero snapped back to his senses, just before the Primate Mechaniloid pounded on him with its gigantic fists. The PM swung its fist sideways, catching Zero in the backhand, slamming him into a wall.

"UGH!" groaned the Maverick Hunter, as he stood up from where he landed. "I really have no time for this now." He saw the Mechaniloid aim a dealy punch at him, and, in a flash, Zero drew his Z-saber, and slashed the fist into pieces. The PM screamed a piercing shout at the injury inflicted, then blindly threw his active arm around, trying to hit Zero with it.

The Hunter easily dodged the attack, and finished the Loid off with a slash to the head. It was only a disabling maneuvre, and the Mechaniloid didn't explode.

After that battle, Zero breathed a deep sigh of relief, and sheathed his saber on his back. He walked to the female scientist who shouted the warning. For some reason, the girl looked awfully familiar to Zero. She was in her mid-20s, has long blonde hair, and clear blue eyes. "Thanks for the warning, but I don't need it," he said curtly to her.

"I was only trying to help," was the reply. "You're Zero, right? The legendary Maverick Hunter?"

"What is it to you?"

Ciel blushed. "Nothing, nothing."

Zero's communicator sounded, indicating a call from headquarters. "What is it?"

"You've been gone for a time longer than expected from you, Zero," Alia, the caller, replied. "I know it's not for us to worry about you, but I would feel better if you report."

"Don't worry your head about it, Alia," Zero answered. "The Mechaniloid was disabled, and no harm came to me or the scientist working here. I'll return in a few minutes." He turned off his communicator, and turned back to Ciel. "So... Your name is Ciel, right?"

"Yes, that's what I told you. Don't tell me your memory circuits are haywire."

Zero ignored this remark. 'She definitely wasn't the same Ciel from my dreams.' He stepped outside the Eurasia ruins, to teleport out of that area. Unbeknowst to him, Ciel looked on after him even as he departed. "Zero. Please snap out of it..."

---

Zero materialised in the hunter teleport room. Without even acknowledging the crew there, he headed straight to R & D for repairs. As he lay himself in the med capsule for repairs, he doesn't notice a small pinkish creature hovering around him.

As the med capsule shut down Zero to make his repairs, something unexpected happened. Everything around him became blurry, like one scene changing to another. The Hunter, however, was completely unaware of it.

When Zero opened his eyes, he finds himself in a somewhat unfamiliar laboratory.A shadow loomed above him, in the shape of a very familiar human.

"Zero," the human told the immobile Zero. "Zero, Zero, Zero, you're not living up to the standards that I have set for you. I am very disappointed, I really hoped that you were far more superior than that traitorous brother of yours. I have no choice, but to retire you."

Mr. Whoever-it-is pressed a small button on the side of the capsule, and Zero's vision blackened. Zero tried struggling, then suddenly, out of the darkness, a voice calls out his name. But, unlike the last one, this voice is feminine.

"Zero! ZERO!" He managed to open his eyes, and found himself staring right into the eyes of a female brown-haired Reploid.

"Iris? What- What happened?" 'Wait, how did she-"

"Oh, Zero, I'm glad that you're safe," Iris said, not answering stood up so Zero, not answering his question. Zero moved to a sitting position, and he found himself lying on grass. He and Iris are in a small park.

Zero stood up, and looked around. There was no mistaking it as he surveyed the surroundings. He is back in Abel City, right where it all started. 'What am I doing here?'

Iris playfully waved a hand in front of Zero, to snap him out of his thoughts. "Zeeerooo," she joked. "Earth to Zero... Come in, Zero!"

"What?" Zero answered, a bit annoyed. Iris stood up, and with a giggle, ran away from him. Zero sighed as he stood up as well, ready to chase her. Zero always felt secure when Iris was around, letting go of his past everytime they're together.

However, from the shadows of some trees, a mysterious figure lurked, watching over Zero. You have to snap out of this, Zero, the stranger said ominously. Only you can break out of this, old friend...

CONTINUED
    Last edited by Master_in_Training; 23rd December 2007 at 1:12 PM.
    -My wacky, Advanceshipping eFics:
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

After that battle, Zero breathed a deep sigh of relief, and sheathed his saber on his back. He walked to the female scientist who shouted the warning. For some reason, the girl looked awfully familiar to Zero. She was in her mid-20s, has long blonde hair, and clear blue eyes. "Thanks for the warning, but I don't need it," he said curtly to her.

"I was only trying to help," was the reply. "You're Zero, right? The legendary Maverick Hunter?"

"What is it to you?"

Ciel blushed. "Nothing, nothing."
    When did Ciel introduce herself?

And man, Zero is going through his memories or somerhing? Sounds like a review of Assassin Creed, I was going to check it out in Fanfiction.net but you already posted it here.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoozaru View Post
    When did Ciel introduce herself?
    -Yikes, I never saw that. Sorry. Funny that the few reviewers didn't notice it either.

And man, Zero is going through his memories or somerhing? Sounds like a review of Assassin Creed, I was going to check it out in Fanfiction.net but you already posted it here.
    -I don't know what Assasin Creed is, again I apologise.
    Log 2: Awaken

"Iris! Wait up!"

"Zero, for a Maverick hunter, you sure are slow!" the reploid girl teased. Zero chased Iris around the park, passing the time.

When Zero finally caught up with her, did the scenery around him change once again. Only this time it's for the worse. Iris was still there, but instead of standing around, waiting for him, the girl is now lying on the ground.

From Iris's body the scene completely changed into an ominously familiar room. There was wreckage of a Ride Armor next to Iris, and Zero realised where, and when, he is right now. It was in that fateful room, inside Final Weapon, where Iris took up arms to avenge her brother Colonel against Zero.

Zero fell to his knees right next to the dying Iris, remembering all too well this incident. He killed Iris with his own hands, and try as he might, he couldn't save her.

'Wha- What's going on? Why are all these flooding back to me?!' he thought desperately.

Zero...

"Who's there?"

Zero, this is all a dream. Wake up.

Listening to the advice, Zero closed his eyes to try waking up, but it doesn't work. Zero stood up, and the motionless body in front of him disappeared. When he opened them again, the scenery changed once more, and instead of Iris, it was X, dismembered just as Zero was in X5.

"X?" Zero said dumbfounded, holding the remains of his partner in his hands. Suddenly, X smiled at him, and fired his arm cannon, at point-blank range, at Zero! Zero was shot clear on his chest, and fell right next to X.

'What's going on? Why are all these happening to me again?' Zero asked himself, as he quickly loses consciousness.

Zero... Wake up from this nightmare. Only you can... Zero...

A blue-armored figure appeared in front of Zero. When he looked up, Zero was at first confused. He gazed at the fallen figure beside him at first, then at the new arrival.

Zero, it's all just a dream. You must wake up from this dream.

"X? But how? How do I-"

Only concentrate hard, and the illusion will vanish. Think back to the truth, and all lies will vanish.

Zero did as told, and, suddenly felt the hole in his body disappearing. He stood up, and the X that lay beside him disappeared. Breathing hard, but otherwise, Zero finds himself fine. He stared back at X. "Thanks, X. Now what?"

X raised an eyebrow, and it looked like he was shaking his head in disbelief. Still the same old Zero. Do you know where you are now?

"Is that a trick question?" Zero asked, and this time it was he who raised an eyebrow. "Then again, if you're here, then that means that I'm in the Cyberworld?"

X nodded. Don't you remember anything since your battle with Weil, Zero?

"Now that you remind me..."

FLASHBACK

The massive Ragnarok core imploded right in front of Zero, yet Weil appears at the remains. He laughed at Zero, though it's apparent that he has been weakened. "I- Is that all you can do, Zero?" he taunted.

"I don't have time for you anymore, Weil. Ragnarok's core is destroyed, my mission here is over." Zero turned to leave, then felt the force of gravity as Ragnarok reached the atmosphere.

"Ciel, I don't want to keep you waiting anymore," Zero told himself, clenching his fists. "Just a little longer still..."

"A Reploid, with feelings for a human? Preposterous." Zero whirled around, only to find himself face to face with Weil. "I think I'll give you a dose of the punishments humans gave me a century ago, Zero!"

Zero felt a sudden shock, then he felt like his consciousness was thrown into total darkness...

END FLASHBACK

Zero clenched his fists. "What has he done to me?"

As a last resort, Weil planted a virus within you at the last moment of his life, Zero. This virus makes you relive all the terrible memories of your past. In order for this virus to take full effect, Weil's last act was to seal your consciousness and the virus here in the Cyberworld. After that, he was dissolved along with Ragnarok in the atmosphere.

"And my body?"

I do not know, Zero. X didn't look Zero in the eyes for this. I am sorry. But right now we must focus on the matter at hand. Weil's virus is starting to get erratic, and is slowly eating the entire Cyberworld even as we speak.

"Then tell me how to destroy this virus," Zero said shortly. He drew his Z-saber, ready for battle.

You have the right idea, Zero. Of course the virus can only be deleted by defeating it.

"Now the question is, where is it?"

As if to answer his question, loud clapping could be heard from the background. "X and Zero. How nice to see the two of you again."

The Hunters whirled around in the direction of the voice. Zero narrowed his eyes as the figure approached them. For some reason, neither he or X wasn't quite surprised to see who it was that spoke.

A tall, bald Reploid stood right in front of Zero and X. The most distinctive features on his face are two scars that go across both his eyes, and a green jewel on the forehead. He was dressed in a purple-themed armor, complete with a black-and-red cape.

"Sigma," Zero said, gritting his teeth at the sight of his nemesis. "Am I not glad to see you."

I have a feeling that you had a hand in this, Sigma. Did Weil put you up to this?

"Now, X, it's like you haven't known me for... What? Two centuries?"

Don't remind me, Sigma. Those weren't the happiest moments in my life.

"Same here," Zero added. He stood in front of X, and facing Sigma, drew his Z-saber. He also had his Z-knuckle ready just in case. "Are you here to talk, or to fight?"

Sigma just chuckled. "Let me just adjust the surroundings to fit this battle." From beneath Sigma's feet a new area began to emerge, surrounding X and Zero. The latter two recognized the area Sigma simulated at once. It was the ruins of Sky Lagoon, on the scorched earth.

"You really are sick, Sigma," Zero said hotly, clenching his saber tightly.

Zero, I can't help you in my current state. Can you really handle him on your own? X, who, for now, can only watch due to his current state, was ready to give any useful advice. Careful, Zero. You know what Sigma's capable of.

Zero turned to him. "X, X," he said, mimicing Sigma's voice(which greatly annoyed the Maverick), "it's like YOU didn't know me for a hundred years. Now stand back," he added, seeing Sigma draw two beam sabers from his gauntlets, "this will definitely get hairy."

"Now, Zero, let's dance!" Sigma dashed towards Zero, his sabers extended in front in a cross formation. Zero intercepted them with a slash of his own Z-saber. The sparks emitted the three swords were stinging parts of Sigma's and Zero's body, but they ignored them.

Zero jumped backward and thrust his saber forward. This time it was Sigma who intercepted, by parrying it with one sword, tenmaking a slash for Zero's head with the other. The latter ducked, then grabbing the attack with the Z-knuckle. The heat of the beam saber cut through his hands, yet the Z-knuckle's chip remained intact.

The Maverick Hunter ignored the pain in his left hand, and pushed Sigma backwards with the aforementioned hand. Zero even tried a punch with the same hand, but Sigma ducked as well.

Sigma suddenly combined the hilts of his sabers into one. The resulting weapon produced a twin saber, each blade longer than in the first incarnation. The sword began spinning in Sigma's hands like a helicopter propeller, and Sigma again dashed towards Zero with his free hand, trying to grab him.

The larger man missed, but thrust his spinning sword towards Zero for a second attack. Zero doesn't know how to block such an attack, until he saw a small boulder in between the two of them. Zero kicked the rock right in the range of Sigma's sword, smashing the boulder and creating dust, momentarily blinding Sigma.

Taking advantage of Sigma's perdicament, Zero ducked to the side. But Sigma recovered just as quickly, swinging his sword right at Zero. The slash barely missed Zero's right hand, but Zero countered with a hard Z-knuckle to Sigma's head.

Sigma flinched, and was knocked off the ground, landing on his back a few feet away. This gave Zero a little breather, something that the battle didn't take kindly to him. Still, Zero had the guts to taunt his nemesis. "The times are getting to you, Sigma. You certainly fought better back then."

"Oh, don't worry about it, Zero," Sigma said psychoticly(though it wasn'tmuch of a surprise). "It is just beginning!"

Thanks to the fact that he can manipulate the surroundings, Sigma began summoning large chunks of boulder from everywhere. The rocks began sticking to him, creating some sort of armor. When the "armor" completely covered his body, except his face, they shone in different colors, literally transforming into a hi-tech battle armor nearly ten times Zero's size!

"How do you like this little upgrade Weil gave me?" Sigma asked. "I have to hand it to that human, he sure knows how to please fellow megalomaniacs like me."

Zero wasn't intimidated by Sigma's new form. Instead, he clenched his Z-saber even harder, determined to finish this battle. But before he engaged Golem Sigma, Zero turned to X. "Tell me, is SHE still waiting for me?"

We can only find out until we find her, Zero.

"It doesn't matter, anyway, cause I am coming back," Zero declared. "After I finish this battle of long past!"

X watched as Zero ran towards Sigma, the Z-saber drawn forward for a heavy thrust. G-Sigma's right hand formed into clay, then reformed into a 10-foot stone blade. He then sliced the ground in between him and Zero, creating a powerful earthquake.

Zero used his saber as a shield, as he can't block the attack any other way. Rocks stung his body, and the ground is giving away. He jumped at the last moment, before the earth completely sunk beneath him.

But Sigma swung his sword in Zero's direction. Caught off guard, Zero got full wind of the attack, as the sword hit him in the stomach. After the impact, Sigma's sword and Zero are still in contact, and the former slammed them into the ground, dealing considerable damage to our hero!

Sigma loomed over Zero, inside a crater on the ground. "Once I finish you, Zero, I can finally return to the physical world, and start 'influencing' our brothers again. And, with the world as it is now, I know that it will be an easy conquest. For your sake," Sigma added, with a sinister sneer, "I guess I'll begin with a small rag-tag group of rebels you call a Resistance."

CONTINUED...
    -Well, I never thought I'd get a reviewere here. I hope you review as much as in Trials 2. Like I said there, this pairing is on par with Advanceshipping in terms of c- No, I'm not saying it this time!
    PS Ever heard of a multi-tasker? I call myself a multi-fic writer. So no worries about Trials 2.
    Last edited by Master_in_Training; 9th December 2007 at 8:54 AM.
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Man, Sigma really did it now. First he used Sky Lagoon as the battlefield and now he threatens the Resistance. Zero is probably going to go into a mad rage about it.

Zero jumped backward and thrust his saber forward. This time it was Sigma who intercepted, by p[arrying it with one sword, tenmaking a slash for Zero's head with the other. The latter ducked, then grabbing the attack with the Z-knuckle. The heat of the beam saber cut through his hands, yet the Z-knuckle's chip remained intact.
    Yeah...

-With X and Elpizo in mind, I always thought that Cyber-elves were the Reploid counterparts of the human soul. Hope that would explain the events that will happen in the next chapters.
    Log 3: Maverick Zero

It seems as if time had stopped at Zero hearing Sigma mention the Resistance. As Sigma's sword swung upwards, and came down on him for a finishing blow, Zero's memories flashed towards all the people in the Resistance: those who believed in him. And his memory rested on a certain someone, someone who he knows was always awaiting his return.

The mention of Sigma going to destroy the Resistance awoke something within Zero. It was like something exploded within his systems. Then, another fleeting image came across his mind; one about the demented professor from his illusions earlier.

"Zero, Zero, Zero, you're not living up to the standards that I have set for you. I am very disappointed, I really hoped that you were far more superior than that traitorous brother of yours. I have no choice, but to retire you."

Then, a new image of Ciel flashed through Zero's mind. This was followed by Sigma advancing on her, and the last thing Zero hears from this is Ciel's screams before blacking out. "ZERO!" After her scream, Zero felt like something from inside of him explode. "No, Ciel, everyone..." Just as Sigma's sword bore down on him, did he grasp it with his bare hands. " I- I WON'T LET YOU!"

Sigma's eyes widened in shock, an expression that wasn't seen in him since, ever. Then he realised what happened when he saw Zero's eyes. "So, IT wasn't gone from you completely, has it? Now, this will be fun." Sigma's grin got even more sinister, and he increased his pressure on his sword, while making another from his left hand.

Zero barely broke a sweat. As the sword swung downwards, Zero stopped its descent by merely blocking with his left hand, the sword in between his thumb and fingers!

Like Sigma, X sensed what happened inside of Zero, and he didn't like it one bit. NO, ZERO! You're better than this. You shouldn't let it take over!

Zero didn't listen. X approached, but suddenly Zero slashed him with his Z-saber! It was a serious blow, even though X was in Cyber-elf form. It was then that X realised that Zero won't snap out of the condition he put himself in. I- I have to find some help. Hang in there, Zero.

Neither Zero nor Sigma acknowledged X's departure. The former was just out of his mind at the moment, while the latter just didn't care. In fact-

"Now that the nuisance's out of the way, let's begin the real battle, shall we, Zero?" Like in his first form before, Sigma combined his two swords into one large lance. Zero, however, remained still, his eyes kept blank.

Sigma advanced on Zero, swinging his lance high above his head maniacally. Zero easily dashed around Sigma, dodging the thrusts and lances despite the lance's enormous size. To compensate, Sigma created, again from his clay-like body, smaller clones of himself. They were almost perfect replicas, only they don't have Sigma's head on top of them.

Zero found himself surrounded by the G-Sigma clones. Zero then looked at his left hand, and grinned evilly. Thanks to cyberspace, the arm transformed, and became a weapon of Zero's past: the Z-buster. With only a second's interval(to which he is aiming with it), Zero destroyed each and every one of the clones with blasts from his Z-Buster.

After disposing of them, Zero aimed his arm cannon straight at Sigma. He charged the cannon for a split second, then fired a powerful plasma blast, enough to tear a hole in G-Sigma's body. But the clay body was able to regenerate, like nothing's happened to it.

Sigma once again advanced towards Zero, creating more clones to weaken and/or distract the latter. Zero hacked away, until Sigma once again bore down on him. Sigma thrust his lance straight downwards right at Zero. Zero's Z-buster reformed again into his left arm, and easily held the lance back up, and pushing it back, the other end hitting Sigma by the chin, stunning him.

The Maverick, however, quickly recovered. With one hand holding the lance, Sigma suddenly summoned a wave of mud and rocks from the other. The wave hit Zero, slamming him against a rock wall, and gradually drowning him. Or, at least, that's what Sigma thinks.

Just a few inches from Sigma's face, Zero resurfaced from beneath the mud, Z-saber held high! Caught by surprise, Sigma felt nothing else, as Zero sliced his head clean off the golem body.

G-Sigma's main body dissolved, as well as the Sky Lagoon around them. All that is left is complete darkness, just like before, and Zero, holding Sigma's severed head in his hand. Zero held out the head in front of him, so Sigma is still facing Zero. Sigma's last words are as follows:

"So the doctor's virus has reawakened inside of you, Zero. No matter how hard you try, it will never be gone. For me, it's a shame that I won't see you destroy the very things you hold dear. I-" Sigma wasn't able to finish what he was saying, as Zero crushed the head with his bare hands.

Then, right in front of Zero, a circle of light appeared, like some sort of doorway opening. He stepped through the portal to the real world, ready to cause havoc as a Maverick, and a powerful one at that. Something that the world wouldn't be ready for.

CONTINUED
    Last edited by Master_in_Training; 13th December 2007 at 2:38 PM.
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

I thought the mad rage would be a good kind, not the Zero Virus kind. Well, this is swell, Zero in his Maverick state again. But I thought his body was like destroyed? Could the portal be a trick by X?

I was planning for it to be a surprise at the end, but
        Spoiler:- Zero's body intact?:

-Since this will be the first chapter set in the "real world", it's time for evaluation. In this timeline, each MMZ game depicts one year. And, this takes place approximately just a few months after Z4, to avoid any confusion.
    Log 4: A Memorial

It has been two months since that fateful day. The ruthless Neo Arcadian dictator, Weil, was finally defeated, and taking the oppression of human and Reploid kind with him. But, it was at a terrible price. Zero, hero of the Resistance and the oppressed, supposedly perished fighting Weil onboard Ragnarok.

Walking the streets of Zero 1, the village locale of Area Zero, is an 18-year-old blond girl. As she passed the residential area of the village, humans and Reploids alike greeted her. Being polite, she waved back in reply to them, but she is in a hurry. In her hands was a trio of daisies.

The conflict between Neo Arcadia and the Resistance was finally brought to its end. Peace talks between the two sides were negotiated. From henceforth, the Resistance is now known as the Guardians, peacekeepers, and, in a way, a descendant of the Elite Maverick Hunters.

As a way of saying thanks, New Arcadia erected a memorial for he who saved us all. However, they commenced this without saying anything to the Resistance until it was actually finished. In a way, the memorial, in a plaza of New Arcadia, was inaccurate.

The architects never did see what the hero of the Resistance looked like. They had to look up his profile in the old archives from a century ago. The image they erected of him in the memorial was that of when he was still a Maverick Hunter.

Because of this, the Guardians, especially their leader, secretly erected a second memorial. This one was crude, but they felt it hit home in accuracy.

The girl stopped right in front of the Eurasia ruins. She wiped a tear in her eye, before proceeding further inside.

With Neo Arcadia destroyed by ragnarok, Area Zero became the new basis for civilisation. Its main landmark is the Eurasia ruins, where it is possible to live. From Area Zero, villages grew from it, following the cultivation of the aforementioned place. Pretty soon, humans and Reploids have expanded civilisation from this foundation.

Unknown to those but the ones who built it, Zero's second memorial was deep inside the ruins. The girl earlier was actually Ciel, the leader of the Resistance/Guardians. She never fails to go to the memorial everyday. And this time it was no different.

Ciel was the one most devastated at losing Zero. To everyone, he is a hero; to her, he is something more. A friend, a protector, a- The very last thought made Ciel shake her head furiously. 'I can't think like that now. It would be impossible anyway, even if he is alive or not.'

She passed some children who are playing inside. Although it is a colony ruin, there are no hazards, the Guardians made sure of that. But, Ciel called out to them, "Make sure you don't get hurt, kids, okay?"

"Yes, Ms. Ciel," the children said in unison. they waved to her as they went even deeper into the Eurasia Colony.

Ciel wandered far to the side, away from the children's noise. In a concealed part of Eurasia, where residency would have been if it were active, stood the memorial.

There was a worn-out picture of Zero hanging on that section of wall. Hung all around the picture are replicas of Zero's weapons, with the exception of the Z-saber, which was in fact the original. Ciel always laughed tearfully at the memory of how such a picture was taken...

FLASHBACK

Zero lay on the roof of the Resistance Base, asleep. His helmet is tilted over his eyes, to get some shut-eye, literally. He sensed someone was sneaking towards him, but dismissed it, as the sounds he or she was making confirmed to Zero that it was an amateur, to be ignored only.

"Zero!" came the cheerful voice of the young female reploid, Alouette. "Say CHEESE!"

"Huh?" Zero asked, perplexed. He pushed his helmet off his eyes just in time to see a flash of light erupt in front of him. "Wha-? Alouette!" he shouted, temporarily blinded, trying to reach for her.

Zero then remembered that, earlier, Alouette has gotten her hands on an ancient device(a camera). After being provided with an upgrade to the ancient machine, and some special film from Cerveau, the girl has been itching to try it out.

"I know Sis would certainly be happy to have this picture, Mr. Zero," Alouette said, coming from Zero's left. The younger Reploid ran down the stairs, and Zero only grunted.

"All she had to do was ask," he muttered, rubbing his eyes as he lay back down. "Ugh, I'll be seeing black for a while."

END FLASHBACK

Again, tears trickled down both of Ciel's eyes. But this time she didn't wipe them. "Alouette did give me the picture, and now we put it here," she said to no one in particular.

She placed the flowers she brought on a small pedestal in front of the picture. Already in the pedestal are worn-out daisies from the previous day. Just as Ciel straightened herself, a violent quake became apparent, and making the Shield boomerang and Triple rod fall to the floor.

"What was that?" Ciel remarked, steadying herself. The quake stopped as suddenly as it appeared. "There isn't supposed to be any earthquakes here in Area Zero..."

Then, Ciel heard some screams of terror. She remembered that she wasn't the only one in the colony. 'The kids!' Ciel thought, worried.

Ciel ran through the dilapitated corridors of the colony. She was trying to find the source of the screams, when another earthquake rumbled. Ciel leaned on a wall until it stopped again, then continued her search.

"Where are you?" Ciel shouted back at the source of the screams, trying to pinpoint their location. But, no one must have heard it. "Where are you?" she repeated, a little louder.

After some backtracking, Ciel found herself where she parted from the kids before. Outside the entrance, she could see parents running in this direction, anxious of what's happening.

"Miss Ciel!" one man shouted over the noise, running over to her. "What's happening? Where are our children?"

"Your children are still inside," Ciel said. "I don't want to worry you, but I heard their screams while I was inside myself. Let's all look for them. Don't worry," she assured some older women of the group, who are about to faint at the news. to everyone else, "Someone please contact the Guardians. We might need their help in this emergency."

One volunteered, heading back to the village to make the call. Ciel then led the others further inside Eurasia to look for the missing children.

The search party soon reached a large atrium area. Ciel concluded that, from the recent mess of things around, this was the source of the commotion.

The outline seen through the smoke was that of a slender, long-haired man. Ciel knew very well who it is, as she felt his presence somehow. As the smoke cleared, her suspicion, and greatest fear, was confirmed. 'Is it... Really you?'

Zero, the hero thought to be dead two months ago, stood in front of them all. Only Ciel was the one to recognize him, as the other people there only knew of Zero from the "1st" memorial.

'Zero, you- But, there's something different about you.' Zero's eyes were not the cold, serious tone that Ciel was used to. In their place are tones of malice, and destruction.

Zero was carrying what appears to be a lead pipe, where there is blood on one end. He saw the newcomers, and approached them silently, but menacingly.

"What- What is that?" one man behind Ciel asked. "Is that Reploid responsible for these quakes? Where are our children?"

Zero didn't answer the last question, and was still advancing on them. The humans found themselves gripped with fear. Ciel, who up to now has been shocked at Zero's arrival, snapped out of it, and turned to the others.

"Please, everyone, run. I think he's a Maverick!" Ciel warned to the villagers.

"A- A Maverick?" one repeated. "But I thought they were gone a long time ago?"

Zero then dashed for them, and Ciel pushed some of the villagers one way, while she ducked the other. When she looked up, Zero was right in front of her. "Zero, what are you doing?" Ciel asked. No response. "Please tell me I'm wrong. Please tell me you're not a Maverick!"

Still no response. Zero wildly raised his weapon over his head, ready to hit Ciel with it. Ciel closed her eyes. She then heard the Swoosh of the pipe being swung downward, but she felt no painful impact. She reopened her eyes, and found a tall blue Reploid in front of her, who blocked the pipe with his hands.

Ciel's Reploid savior said, "Sorry we were late. Had to find some reinforcements." He turned around, and Ciel found herself face to face with X! "You okay, Ciel?"

"Y- Yes. X, what's going on? Why is Zero acting like that?"

X aimed his arm cannon towards Zero to throw him off. The latter evaded the shots, and, in that moment, X turned back to Ciel. "I thought you had it figured out by now. Ciel, the virus that caused the Maverick Wars long ago has resurfaced within Zero."

Ciel didn't say anything. X suddenly grabbed her, and pushed her to the side. Zero reappeared, bearing down on them like a mad Mechaniloid.

X stood in front of Ciel as he shielded her from any debris Zero threw at them. "Ciel, I think it's best that you get out of here. We have already evacuated the villagers and the children, and the Guardians are on their way. We'll take care of Zero."

"We?" Ciel repeated. As Zero approached them again, an energy shot was fired, bouncing off Zero's left shoulder plate. Both Ciel and Zero turned in the direction of where the shot came from.

Standing on a balcony above them all is a navy-armored, orange-haired Reploid. In his hands are two energy pistols. His most distinguishing feature is a cross scar barely visible under his red-and-black helmet.

"X, the villagers are safe, and the area contained. That leaves us all alone with Zero here," the Reploid said to X.

"Good job, Axl," X replied. Axl jumped down to join them, and stood right next to X. "Maybe now we can fight without worrying about any casualties."

Axl, his body facing X, pointed his left pistol sideways at Zero. "So now care to tell me the whole story that the reason why I had to return to service was to fight one of our ex-partners?"

"Long story short," X began, pointing his cannon in a similar manner to Axl, "Sigma was involved, but believe it or not, even he never suspected the virus to resurface."

Zero charged at them full speed. This prompted the two Hunters to fire their weapons simultaneously at him. They missed, but were able to drive Zero off for the time being. At this point Axl turned to Ciel. "And who might this be?" he asked, with interest.

"No time for introductions, Axl," X said, anxiously surveying the area around them for their target. "Where's Zero?"

Axl took a look around as well. "Uh-oh. That- Could spell trouble." X and Axl surrounded Ciel just so they can protect her, and themselves, for an attack in any direction.

Zero came down to them from above, still swinging the now-bent pipe. X tilted his body upwards, and blocked the pipe by crossing his cannon beneath it. He then turned to Axl. " I'll deal with Zero. Take Ciel to safety."

"No problem, X, just save some of him for me, 'kay? Okay, Ciel, is it? Excuse me."

"H- Hey!" was Ciel's reaction when Axl lifted her into his arms. Nodding to x, he fired up his boosters, and flew away from X and Zero.

With them gone, X turned back to Zero. He pushed the latter back with his arm cannon. "Come on, Zero, you can't let yourself be controlled by the virus? Wake up!"

Still, X's words didn't go through. Zero begun swinging his pipe madly. X ducked the swings, then punched his friend hard on the face. He retracted his arm cannon, turning it into his left hand, then followed a second punch with it. The second has a bit of firepower in it, so to speak, knocking Zero back a good twenty feet, into a wall, and making a large hole in it.

X ran after Zero, to make sure that he doesn't leave the colony. Out of the Atrium area and into the hallways where Ciel was before the incident, X navigated through the small maze of corridors until he found the Resistance's memorial of Zero.

Due to the damage the battle has done to the colony, the Z-weapons litter the floor, and the photograph barely hanging on the wall. X realised that one of the weapons is missing.

At that moment, X turned around, and saw Zero. in his hands is the Z-saber. Armed with his deadly signature weapon, who knows what sort of damage Zero can inflict now!

CONTINUED...
    Last edited by Master_in_Training; 13th December 2007 at 2:41 PM.
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Hi, eonmaster here. couldn't help but notice the awesomeness of your fic! Man, I don't really like shipping, but a megaman fic just gets me all revved up!

So is Zero gonna be awakened soon? I wanna see some mushy love scenes!
    Back online. It's a new start.

Whoa, Zero with his Z-Saber, if he does any of his MMX days attacks then X is going to have a hard time. So I was wondering what happened to Axel in between the years, maybe he became a cyber-elf too! And X with his body, your spoiler?

Log 5: Hunters Vs. Maverick

X dodged the many slashes from Zero's Z-saber. Even his armor couldn't withstand such a powerful cannon. X fired a warning shot to drive Zero away, and give himself space.

Zero dodged the charged shots sent his way, getting closer to X. As a sneak move, Zero dashed forward, ready to stab X, when a shot was fired. Axl has returned at the last moment.

Axl stood right next to X again as they both face Zero. "Okay, X, any idea how we can save Zero without hurting him?"

"I'm afraid not, Axl. I hate to say this, but it's either we take him out or it will be the Maverick Wars all over again."

"I was afraid that you're gonna say that." Suddenly, the Z-saber slashed the air between them, making them jump. Zero swung his saber again, this time a horizontal slash that could have sliced both X and Axl if not for a timed dodge.

As Axl landed, he fired a double shot at Zero, who just dodged them. X came from behind, taking advantage of the distraction to charge his Buster. The charged shot barely hit Zero, burning a portion of his front armor.

Still, the Maverick advanced on them. Axl fired some more shots, but the Z-saber changed color from green to orange, and it deflected the shots. Again Axl and X have to duck and weave to dodge Zero's swordsmanship.

The battle waged on. X was thrown off guard for a while, and is now dazed by a sneak attack. Axl found himself cornered against a wall. 'Oh, man, I'm really screwed if this is the way I go, AGAIN!' he thought.

Axl closed his eyes, bracing for impact. But, it never came. Just as Zero was about to deliver a fatal blow, Axl felt someone move in front of him, and block the blow. The young Reploid opened his eyes, and saw a tall, caped Reploid standing between him and Zero, blocking Zero's saber with his own.

"Sorry I was late, X," the newcomer said. "I just had a little trouble contemplating on things." Turning to Zero, he added, "Never thought that if I had to face you would be like this, old friend."

X stood up, and ran over to their spot. "No worries, Colonel. Zero hasn't dealt any serious damage, yet."

Axl stood up, and brushed the dust off his armor. "Well, it's about time. We couldn't handle him on our own, you know."

Colonel traded blows with Zero with their own sabers, giving X and Axl time to recuperate. Even though the numbers are against him now, Zero isn't showing any signs of defeat. He still expertly dodges the attacks sent his way by the three.

Then, X made a mistake. He fired a charge shot, but missed Zero completely. The attack caused another large hole in the wall. From there it's a clear path to the human village now. Seeing this chance, Zero slashed the ceiling above him, causing large pieces of it to fall to the floor, blocking off his three opponents. Seeing them distracted, Zero then sprinted through the hole.

As the smoke from the debris cleared, X said, "No! I didn't mean that-"

"No time for that, X," Colonel cut him short. "We have to get to Zero before he could endanger any humans." Facing the rubble that Zero made as a cover for his escape, he made short work of it, by slicing it in two with his saber. "Come on, let's go."

As Colonel took off through the hole, his comrades followed. Along the way, Axl said, "Who died and made him leader, huh?"

"Let him be, Axl. We're going to need help in this one, and he's the only one we can trust right now."

---

It took some time for the distress to reach the Guardians. Cerveau, acting as leader while Ciel was out, gave his men explicit orders imediately.

"Send some men to the site immediately. Bring some medics, as well as a rescue team, and prepare the medical bay for any injuries."

The Guardians saluted his command, and set out. "Miss Ciel, please be alright," Cerveau whispered.

---

Villagers panicked as they saw the Maverick emerge from the Eurasia ruins. A sinister grin spread across Zero's face as he saw the pandemonium he's causing. After all, as a Maverick, it's his "duty" to spread fear to humans.

Zero saw a large scorpion Mechaniloid that was supposed to be built for renovation of Eurasia. A single touch to it, and the Virus spread to the machine, making it go Maverick as well. The scorpion then started its rampage across the village. At that moment, X and the others arrived.

X saw the Mechaniloid, and immediately realised what Zero's done to it. "If we don't stop him now, then it will be the Maverick Wars all over again," he said to his companions.

Colonel clenched his fists tightly around his saber. "So it all comes down to this. In a way, I guess I am fullfilling Repliforce's initial duty to stop Mavericks after all." To Zero, he shouted, "I hate it to be like this, Zero, but we have no other choice. We have to destroy you."

"Axl, you go ahead and stop that Mechaniloid from causing any more damage. X and I will deal wtih Zero ourselves."

"Roger." Axl fired up his boosters, and sprinted towards the rampaging machine.

X aimed his cannon at Zero. "Come on, Zero, snap out of it. You can't let the virus take-"

For the first time since he reappeared, Zero spoke. His voice wasn't so different, and it took both X and Colonel by surprise at the way he spoke. "X, X, X, how many times do I have to hear that from you?" Zero taunted. "The zero you know and call a friend is gone. And i'm in his place now."

X hesitated, then fired his charge shot in Zero's direction. What he hit was just an after-image, and Zero reappeared behind them. Zero slashed at them, and X and Colonel had to dodge to the side. X fired his arm cannon at Zero, who, miraculously with just the Z-saber, deflected it.

Colonel on the other side thrust his saber forward, but the latter quickly parried it, then aimed a punch to Colonel's face. The larger Reploid ducked, then X fired another shot from his arm cannon. Zero merely turned his head to dodge it, then, swung his saber in an arc that reached both X and Colonel.

---

The Scorpoid leveled many houses with just a swing of its tail. On the tip is a laser that he's now using to demolish buildings. Its large pincers have 250 HPW, enough to crush metal.

"Hey, sting-for-brains!" The Mechaniloid stopped in its tracks, as energy bullets from behind bounced off its body. Turning around, just in time for some cornered humans to make an escape, it found Axl in the distance, tipping his helmet like a cowboy from old western movies.

The Scorpoid fired one of its pincers at Axl. Axl barrel-rolled at the last second, whilst still firing his energy pistols. The bullets just bounced off the metal panelling of the Scorpoid, taking no damage. "Man, I've really got to upgrade these things!" Axl ranted, as he fired more bullets.

The Scorpoid advancd on Axl, then punched its pincers to the ground. The Maverick Hunter had to barrel-roll again to dodge it. Its pincer still on the ground, the Loid then dragged it across, creating a fissure-like effect. Axl shielded his eyes from the debris that the attack created, and was swiped by the other claw.

"OOF!" Axl groaned. When the debris cleared, the pincer that struck the ground now has the Reploid in a deathgrip by the waist. Axl winced as the grip tightened on him. While one of his pistols fell to the ground in the struggle, he aimed the other at the head of the Mechaniloid. He was having trouble aiming at first because of the pain he's feeling right now, but thought, 'It's now or never.' "Take this!"

Axl fired three sucessive shots at the head of the Scorpoid. Two of them missed, but the third hit its mark, the center of the head between the eyes.

The Mechaniloid reeled backwards in pain, and his hold on Axl relaxed. The latter took this opportunity to fire another clear shot, which pierced through the head, disabling the Mechaniloid.

Stumbling down, Axl squeezed his way out of the pincers. After confirming its deactivation by kicking the Mechaniloid, Axl said, "Now time to join in the real battle."

---

Zero hurled his Z-saber towards X. The weapon grazed the front of his armor as he sidestepped to avoid it. But, that was just a diversion, as Zero closed in, kicking him at the side.

X got the wind knocked out of him. And, as the Maverick Hunter doubled over, Zero loomed over him, about to deliver a pound ti the head. Colonel stopped him just in time by swinging his saber, making Zero jump away to safety.

Colonel stood in front of X, protecting him, as the latter recovered. Zero, after retrieving his saber, planted his feet, then sprinted towards X and Colonel, the Z-saber thrust out. Again X and Colonel have to duck to the side to avoid Zero's attack. But, what they didn't see, was Zero using Rakuhouha, an attack he learned from a Maverick so long ago.

Since the Rakuhouha came as a complete surprise for them, X and Colonel were both stunned by the area effect of the attack. Zero took this chance to permanently disable them, but, luckily Axl stepped in to stop him.

"You guys okay?" Axl asked his allies.

"The Mechaniloid?" X asked, getting back to his feet.

"Ready for the scrapyard." Axl fired more shots in Zero's direction. Zero jumped back, just realising that he's outnumbered again. But he didn't mind at all. The Maverick in him tells him that the more damage the better.

X saw that Zero is getting more erratic in his attacks. "If this keeps up, the Maverick Virus in him will take over completely," he relayed to the others.

"Any suggestions?" Colonel asked, barely ducking from Zero's thrust(Youdantotsu) attack.

X thought for a moment, until another Rakuhouha was sent their way. "The Mother Elf gave us some of her power to take physical form. During the Maverick Wars, the Mother Elf was constructed as an anti-Virus." Another thrust attack was sent their way, a Raijingeki. The trio jumped out of the way of the electrical attack.

"So, if we use the power the Mother Elf gave us," Axl thought aloud, "we can remove the virus from Zero's body!"

"A little problem," Colonel said, as he parried a sword attack. "If we use it and fail, or miss, our physical forms would be gone. Meaning, it's only a one-turn shot."

"The plan won't fail," X countered, "but there is a possibility of us missing the mark." Zero came from above, with a C-sword, creating a large fissure on the ground with his slash. "And with him moving too fast," X added, shielding his eyes from stray debris, "that's very likely."

CONTINUED
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

X dodged the many slashes from Zero's Z-saber. Even his armor couldn't withstand such a powerful cannon. X fired a warning shot to drive Zero away, and give himself space.
    Zero's sword isn't classified as a cannon right?

"The plan won't fail," X countered, "but there is a possibility of us missing the mark." Zero came from above, with a C-sword, creating a large fissure on the ground with his slash. "And with him moving too fast," X added, shielding his eyes from stray debris, "that's very likely."
    Wow! Even Colonel is here! I am starting to think that you like the MMX series more than the MMZ series. I also feel like a beta reviewer for some strange reason. Really hope the trio hit Zero, cause Maverick Zero is the worst kind.

-Your second quote, that was no error. C-sword, despite having different names from different games(Kuuenbu, Rasetsusen, etc.), are similar in nature: a spinning sword attack.
    -the reason there are more X references than Z references was because I'm currently on a quest to find that series. In my country, the Zero games are a rare find, taking three weeks of finding them without a sucess!
    Log 6: No More Waiting

"We'll just have to-" Colonel began, but someone interrupted him.

"I'll do it." All three turned around to see Ciel running towards them from behind.

"Ciel?" X exclaimed. "What are you doing here? Stay back!"

The girl stopped in her tracks, but her face shows determination. As the three Hunters lay helplessly between Zero and Ciel, the latter walked slowly closer. To Zero, "Please, Zero, STOP! You're not like this!"

Zero didn't stop, and instead walked towards Ciel menacingly. X, Axl and Colonel tried to move, but a hand in their direction, and Zero managed to paralyse them.

"Ugh, now where did he get that power?" Axl asked, barely able to move.

"Ciel, get out of there!" X shouted to the girl.

Ciel still didn't move. She stared right into the eyes of Zero the Maverick, and she wasn't even blinking. Zero, a few feet from Ciel, thrust a punch towards Ciel with his Z-knuckle active. Ciel still didn't move only closing her eyes. But, before the punch could connect to her face, Zero stopped.

Ciel reopened her eyes to stare right at the Z-knuckle chip embedded in Zero's palm. The hand in question is trembling, like something inside Zero is fighting it. "Ci- Ciel," Zero muttered. "Ge- Get out of th- the way, before I lose to IT again..."

"Zero!" Ciel shouted. "You can fight it. I know you can!"

"Now, you guys! Ciel, duck!" X signalled. At the sudden warning, Ciel has no other choice but to do as told. The three Hunters' bodies glowing profusely, they tackled Zero, literally shoving the Virus out of his body!

The virus, purple, ethereal, and looks like Zero of pre-Neo Arcadian era, stood in front of Ciel. Meanwhile, Zero's physical body, behind Ciel, staggered in his feet, barely maintaining consciousness.

Ciel, on the ground, saw the virus threatening to go back to Zero's body again. But, out of Zero's body came more ethereal forms, this time of X, Axl and Colonel!

"Divide!" Colonel thrust his saber through the Virus, impaling him in the chest. Tilting the sword upwards, the Reploid said, "Axl!"

Axl aimed and fired his pistols rapidly at the Virus, shoving it upwards until it was several feet in the air. "X!" Axl shouted.

"Here goes!" X aimed his arm cannon right at the Virus. He already charged it prior to Axl and Colonel's attacks, and the powerful charge shot hit the Virus, destroying it! Then the three shielded Ciel from the resulting explosion.

When vision was clear again, the Virus is apparently gone. Zero, battered, tired and exhausted, fell to his knees for a second before completely collapsing. Ciel quickly caught up to Zero, the latter falling safely into her arms.

Axl sighed in relief. "Man, am I glad that's over."

X looked at the sky, where the Virus used to be. "And not a moment too soon."

Colonel turned to Ciel and the unconscious Zero. "Are you hurt, Ciel?" Ciel merely shook her head. "Our time here, is nearly up. The threat of the Maverick Virus is gone, for now."

"Wait," Ciel spoke up. "Are you saying it will turn up inside Zero again?"

The three, now in cyber-elf form, only looked at each other. "Remember, Ciel, the circumstances of why Zero had wanted a copy body: to remove the Virus from his system. Apparently, that didn't work, and it took a century for us to figure that out."

"Sorry to say this," Axl added, "but Zero may have a tendency to become Maverick at any time. And what's worse of it is-"

"The world is not ready for it," Colonel finished.

His words were followed by silence. A second later, X saw a portal opening up again. "Well, this is farewell. Zero," he said, although he knew the android won't hear him, "maybe someday you'll get to fight the Virus and destroy it completely. But until then, be careful." A simple glance at Ciel. "Both of you."

Axl was the first to step into the portal. but before he can go all the way through, "Hey! I forgot something!"

"What is it, Axl?" X asked his friend. He thought it might be something important, but, then again-

"I've forgot to ask Zero on tips on girls!"

"What? You think about that now?" X exclaimed.

"I can't help it! We've been so busy that I forgot to ask him this question for over a century now!"

"Axl, let's leave Zero in peace for now, Axl."

Colonel, the last to step through, rolled his eyes as well. "The things I have to cope with in the afterlife. Take care," he added, with a simple nod to Ciel and Zero.

"Thank you." As soon as they were gone, Ciel gazed at Zero's sleeping form, who she rested on her lap. "Now," she whispered, a tear trickling down to Zero's helmet, "I don't have to wait anymore."

CONTINUED
    -Short, but short of time here as well. Next chapter the story diversifies a bit, yet follows the title I put up for this story.
    EDIT:
    Eonmaster, you're a new face, but still welcome! In case you're still reading,
    Quote Originally Posted by eonmaster_457 View Post
    Hi, eonmaster here. couldn't help but notice the awesomeness of your fic! Man, I don't really like shipping, but a megaman fic just gets me all revved up!

So is Zero gonna be awakened soon? I wanna see some mushy love scenes!
    -You're not a fan of shipping yet you are waiting for love scenes? Huh. Anyways, it will be in the next chapter, I promise.
    Last edited by Master_in_Training; 13th December 2007 at 4:51 AM.
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Me so embarrassed about the C-Sword. Yay! Ciel helped Zero become normal again! And does it really matter for Axl, he is dead.

-Well, the battle's over, and Zero's back to normal. In case of the latter, it's time for fluff, and(maybe I'm just sick) humor.
    -Oh, and in case of the former, I had to put limitations, okay? It's because of the nature of the pairing.
    Log 7: A Promise Kept

After the elves' departure, did the Guardians arrive. Being members of what used to be the Resistance, they were astonished to find who was lying asleep in Ciel's lap: their hero, Zero, the Legendary Reploid!

"Mi- Miss Ciel!" Colbor stuttered. "Is that who I think it is?" Ciel looked up at him, and merely nodded. Colbor, being the leader of the dispatched Guardian Unit, was in his element, shouting orders. "Quick, send for some medics immediately. Squad 3 and 4, inspect the surrounding area for any casualties and-"

---

Alouette was waiting in her "sis" Ciel's room in HQ during the whole event. She has always been, for the past two months sice Zero disappeared. When she heard a deafening buzz around the base, she was curious.

Stepping outside, the girl asked one soldier passing Ciel's room. "What's going on?"

Being polite, the soldier was eager to relay the news. "There have been reports back from Zero 1 about a Maverick attack, and now they say that they're taking Mr. Zero back with them!"

Excusing himself, the soldier went on his way, leaving Alouette in the corridor, speechless. It took quite a while for the good news to sink in. "Mister Zero is alive?"

---

Pretty soon, Zero was brought into Cerveau's lab for repairs. Everyone in HQ are definitely ecstatic to see Zero alive, though they didn't know what really happened.

After nearly a day of repairs, Cerveau was able to finish the examination. He was quick to tell the rest of the Guardians about Zero's condition. Deciding to leave Ciel alone with Zero for the time being, the Reploid engineer met with the others in the briefing hall.

"How did the examination go?" one soldier asked anxiously.

"It's amazing. I have checked all of Zero's internal systems, and nothing seems to be wrong with them. All his systems are intact, as if someone fixed them."

"But, who could-" Neige started.

"Here's another thing. There was no doubt that this is the same body Zero used when he stormed Ragnarok. But, there was no evidence that he was there when the explosion occurred. It was like something was protecting him from the blast.

"Maybe Zero will tell us everything when he wakes up." A pause. "Everyone here in the Guardians sure are thrilled to see their hero again."

"True. But, not as much as Miss Ciel, I'm sure. She never left his side after all this time; in fact, she never let go of his hand."

---

"ZERO!" Ciel screamed, waking up with a start. The girl then realised where she was: in her room back in Guardian/Resistance HQ. The clock on her bedstand read 6:00 AM.

Looking around, she thought, 'Was it all just a dream? No, it can't be. It all felt real. I-' Without thinking, Ciel jumped off her bed, out of her room, and running through the corridors of the Guardian HQ. Her destination is the Medical Bay, where Zero was supposed to be. Only-

He wasn't there. In fact, the medical capsule where Zero was supposed to be lying in, was completely empty. "Zero, no... It can't be-" Ciel choked. Her words woke up Cerveau, who was sleeping on a chair near the capsule.

"Miss Ciel?" Cerveau said in surprise. He pulled his glasses on his forehead to rub his eyes. "What are you doing up this hour of the morning?"

Ciel didn't answer. As fast as she ran in did she run out. She ran as fast as she could, to the only place where he could be. The roof of the Resistance Base, where Zero should always be when he wants to be alone. Ciel slammed the old-fashioned door of the roof stairwell so hard that it shook. Looking around, she then realised the horrible truth: Zero's not there.

Ciel was about to cry her heart out, when she heard a voice behind her. "Ow," followed by a thud. Ciel didn't turn around, but sh recognized the voice. "Geez, Ciel, why'd you slam the door?My ears are ringing from the sound."

The girl turned around, and saw the android that she was looking for. It seems that Zero was actually sleeping above the stairwell, far from Ciel's vision. And it also seems that he fell from it, after hearing the door slam against the wall.

"Zero," Ciel choked. Without warning she ran to him, right into his arms, much to Zero's surprise. Ciel sobbed hard into Zero's shoulder, soaking his armor with tears.

Zero just smiled as Ciel continued to cry. Much to Ciel's surprise, Zero wrapped his arms around her in a soft embrace. "Sorry, Ciel, that I took so long to get back."

Ciel shook her head. She looked at Zero, her eyes filled with tears but her expression is filled with joy. "I'm just glad that- That you're here, Zero..." Then, she added, with a weak smile, "I always believed you would, just like you told me."

---

A few minutes later, Cerveau went to the roof, accompanied by Neige. "I could swear that Miss Ciel and Mister Zero are here. After all, where could Mister Zero be other than this?"

Neige looked around the rooftop. "Well, they're not here, as far as I can see. Besides, I don't think I want to disturb them right now. Wherever they are, let's leave those two alone for now." Before Cerveau could say anything else, the human journalist pushed him back into the stairwell.

"Hey, Neige, you don't think they're in Miss Ciel's room, do you?"

"Cerveau! How could you think such things?"

"No, NO, wait, that's not what I meant!" This only earned him a raising of the eyebrows by the journalist.

As the voices dying down meant that they're gone, did Zero only speak up. "So, are they gone?"

"Yes, Zero, they are." Zero and Ciel are on the rooftop, yes, but they were sitting on top of the stairwell. From there it's impossible to find them at first glance. Zero lay on the floor of the stairwell roof, Ciel sitting crosslegged right beside him.

"Good. They make too much noise."

Zero tilted his helmet over his eyes, trying to get some sleep. Ciel rolled her eyes as she looked at Zero. "You're hopeless, Zero." Shrugging it off, she decided to get some sleep as well, straightening her legs and lying right next to the android, asleep.

But, once again, their time alone together was disturbed. This time, it was Axl who interrupted Zero's nap time.

"Zero. Oh, Zero," the cyber-elf mischievously whispered in Zero's ear. "She's right next to you, Zero, so why don't you-"

"What are you doing here, Axl?" Zero said, annoyed, slowly tilting his helmet back upwards. "I just don't want to be disturbed right now."

"Zero? You talking to someone?" Sitting upright, Ciel turned to the android. It was then she saw Axl. "Axl? What are you doing here?" she asked, surprised but not as annoyed as Zero.

Her answer was provided not by Axl, but X, who materialised right next to him. "Sorry to disturb you, Zero, but we have something important to discuss with you."

CONTINUED
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

-What does it take for reviews to pick up anyway? I hate double-posting here!
    Log 8: Way of Life

"Zero, for some weird reason, a city quite similar to New Arcadia resurfaced far to the north," X began.

"Wait," Ciel interrupted him. "You mean there was another surviving human city in this area? X nodded. "It seems strange that I haven't heard anything about it."

Again, X nodded. Axl picked up the story. "That's not the strangest part. Zero, the city we are talking about is Abel City."

Zero was stunned. "Abel City? But how?"

"Weird, huh," Axl spoke up.

"Abel City," Ciel muttered. "I've read about that city from archives when I was still in Neo Arcadia years ago. Wasn't it the place-"

"Where it all began," Zero finished for her, his voice grim. "The Maverick Wars."

"We tried to get some more info on the area," X said, breaking the silence. "But, for some reason, none of our fellow elves would go anywhere near it. All we picked up is that 'Abel City' is a complete utopia, devoid of war."

Zero wasn't listening anymore. To him, the Maverick uprising wasn't the one that caught his interest on the city. It was that- "Abel City was where I was awakened for the first time. Maybe, just maybe-"

"You might find a clue to removing the Maverick Virus there, Zero?" X asked. Zero needn't answer, as X knew pretty well that his guess was correct. "Listen, Zero, I think it's best to avoid contact with Abel City for now. I'm not saying it's a hostile territory, but, we can't be too sure now, can we?"

Zero merely nodded. "But, I may find the answers I've been looking for all this time, and finally be rid of this curse." Zero looked at his hands. "I remember that event very clearly. When I was first activated, I attacked and killed so many Reploids and humans alike. If I were ever to go Maverick again, things could get worse, much worse. I don't want to harm people that are-" He looked at Ciel, but quickly turned away.

X and Axl looked at each other. But, before they could say anything more, Zero felt a hand on his shoulder, and turned to face Ciel again. "It doesn't have to be that way, Zero. We'll find a way to finally remove the Virus in your body, maybe without visiting Abel City. I know we will."

"Thanks, Ciel. I needed that."

The two of them looked each other directly in the eyes. X was feeling uncomfortable, but Axl just found another reason to make fun of Zero. "Aw, isn't that sweet?" he remarked, with a guffaw. "Well, we might as well leave you two lovebirds alone!"

Both Ciel and Zero turned beet red at this comment. "Axl," the latter declared, "if you were solid right now, I'll slice you to pieces!"

---

A day has barely passed since Zero's "ressurection", but things seem to be back to normal. The Guardians put up a ruse to protect Zero's identity by claiming to those who witnessed his Maverick attacks that he's been "drastically" reprogrammed. The general public trusted the Guardians, so they let it pass.

As for Zero, the former Maverick Hunter and Resistance Fighter found himself a new, yet similar career, as a Guardian. Day by day he would go on not-so-dangerous missions, like exploring uncharted areas, bodyguard duties for politicians(a job Zero hates the most), among other things.

Things were back to normal, as normal as it would be for Zero, anyways, except for one thing. The thought of the maverick inside of him breaking out troubled his mind frequently. X and Axl were both there to give him some company, but they know when he wants to be alone.

Most recently, Zero is on a scouting mission in SE Sector, a forested area that will soon be occupied by settlers. The elf accompanying him for this mission was, much to his chagrin, Axl. After confirming that the area is safe for the settlers, they set out to return to Guardian HQ.

On the return trip, the settlers provided the Guardian with an ancient Ride Chaser for a faster and safer trip back. Zero and Axl thanked them, and went on their way. Again, the elf pestered Zero on questions about his love life. "You really want to know? How I- How do you say it? Hook girls so easily?" Zero asked Axl.

"Uh-huh," the elf replied with a broad grin. "You're probably the luckiest of the three of us in that department anyways."

"If it means that you'll stop bugging me for it, then fine. The best way to get a girl to like you is-" Whatever Zero was about to say, he never got to finish it, as the communication radio just beeped an incoming message. This made Axl groan in despair.

The Guardian skidded his ride to a stop in a small clearing in the forest, to intercept the call. "Zero here. What is it?"

It was Ciel who was on the other line. "Zero, are you finished with your mission? Something has come up that might interest you."

"I'm on my way back now, Ciel. The mission is sucessful, and the settlers have began their encampment. I'll be returning there shortly." Zero hung up, and started the Chaser again.

"Hey, Zero, what about that advice you were about to give me?"

"We'll save it for later. Right now-"

"Your girlfriend needs you. I know," Axl retorted.

CONTINUED
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Sorry for not reviewing Chapter 7, was busy. The Cerveau and Neige was incredibly funny. Taking things the wrong way is always fun. And an old city returning, it sounds more like, go there and turn Maverick again to me. And I love Axl, in a non-romantic way. He is so funny.

Log 9: Ciel the Ambassador

Zero passed by the gate to the Guardian HQ with a mere nod to the guard posted there. Cerveau and Alouette greeted him in the entrance hall.

"Mister Zero, how was the mission?" the older of the two Reploids asked.

"It's certainly something that I'm not accustomed to," was Zero's answer. When Cerveau raised an eyebrow, Zero added, "It's much too tame compared to the ones I took when we were still called the Resistance."

"Oh," Cerveau said. Realising it was Zero's idea for a joke, he laughed half-heartedly.

Before heading in to meet Ciel, Zero handed the engineer his weapons for maintenance. All of Zero's weapons were reconstructed by Cerveau. Zero's new rod weapon is in fact a multi-purpose weapon, which has the ability to interchange between the three previous rods. The Shield Boomerang is now stored in a special gauntlet in Zero's left arm, ready to activate when needed. The Z-knuckle, of course, remained with Zero all this time.

Alouette, who remained quiet all this time, only looked at Zero from behind Cerveau. Only when Axl gave a curious glance in her direction did Zero notice. Kneeling down to face her, Zero ased, "What's wrong, Alouette?"

"Mr. Zero, I- I-" Alouette turned red. "Welcome back, Mister Zero!" she shouted in embarassment, before quickly running inside.

Zero only blinked in surprise. "Well, like Miss Ciel, Alouette was most happy to see you back, Mr. Zero," Cerveau explained. "It was only this time that she managed to actually say something to you."

As Zero and Axl walked into the base after Cerveau, the latter again found something to bug Zero with. "Man, when I meant every woman, I never thought-"

"Can it, Axl. I'm not that sort of person," Zero retorted.

Zero and Cerveau parted ways at a fored corridor. Zero went to the left, to the briefing hall, and the latter going to the labs. In the briefing room, Zero was surprised not to find just Ciel there, but X as well.

"So, what's this news you want to talk to me about?" Zero asked, taking a seat on one edge of the briefing table across from Ciel.

"New Arcadia has been invited to a peace treaty signing by the government of Abel City," X said. "Guess who the Trinity has volunteered to represent New Arcadia?"

A simple look at Ciel meant that Zero guessed right. "If things are to go smoothly, then the chance of a war between the two factions would be slim."

"But still possible," Zero muttered, so only Axl can hear. "So let me guess. You want me to be your escort for the event, Ciel?"

Ciel nodded. "And while we're there, I thought maybe you can unlock some clues to your past that might help in dealing with the Virus." Zero was mildy surprised, since, Ciel has chosen to say that word since the incident two weeks ago.

"So, what do you say, Zero?" X asked. "It will also help with the peace proceedings if you were there in Abel City in the first place anyway."

"Huh? Why?"

X scratched his head, bemused. Grinning he said, "Well, let's just say that New/Neo Arcadia revering me as a savior is mere peanuts compared to what Abel City thinks of you."

Zero only grunted in response. Axl then added, "Plus it will give you some time alone with Ciel..." He emphasized both alone and Ciel causing Zero to twitch an eyebrow.

"Anyways, Zero, what do you say?" Ciel asked, looking across the table at him.

---

Zero did decide to become Ciel's escort for the peace conference. They will be taking the old Ride Chaser that Zero got from the settlers earlier. Prior to this, Cerveau remodeled it, for better use.While Zero sat on the old vehicle's seat, Ciel talked to the Guardians on any orders after her departure.

"We'll be back as soon as the treaty is signed. Cerveau, I leave you in charge of all the operations of the Guardians while we're away."

"Yes, Miss Ciel, and please be careful on your journey."

Alouette walked up to Ciel. "When will you be coming back, Sis?"

Ciel kneeled down to talk to Alouette. "We won't be gone for long, Alouette. Take care and be sure to be a good girl to Cerveau, okay?" she added, siving the girl Reploid a warm hug.

While everyone watched this tender moment, Zero was talking to X and Axl. It seems that, for some reason, the two aren't coming along. "Anyways, Zero, take care of yourself, and Ciel, okay?" X asked.

Zero smirked. "X, I thought we've known each other for over two centuries now?" he joked.

Axl pretended to pat Zero on the shoulder, even though it's impossible in his current state. "Oh, and make sure no miracles happen on your time alone with Ciel, 'kay?"

Zero wan't angry. In fact, he was ready for a retort. "And this is coming from someone who can't even spell his own name?"

At this point it was Axl who was fuming red in embarassment. "HEY!"

---

Bidding farewell to the Guardians, Ciel mounted behind Zero on the Ride Chaser. Zero floored the Chaser, and steered it southwards for Abel City.

After a few minutes... "Zero," Ciel spoke, muffled, through her ride helmet, "you haven't said a thing since we left. Is there something on your mind?"

"I thought you would know," Zero muttered. "Abel City. If this is in fact the same Abel City from my past, then the answers to my entire origin are there as well."

Zero gripped the clutch tightly. Ciel somehow felt the tension he's letting off. For the first time, she heard Zero's voice with a tone of doubt. "What if what I find- Is not the answer I'm hoping for?"

"Zero..." That's all Ciel could say, as she couldn't find a way to comfort him.

CONTINUED
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Still loving Axl... His like the Feraligatr of MMX. I still don't see the hero part of Zero in Abel City, wouldn't they hate him for murdering so many of them? Oh yeah, those who witness him evil are dead.

Log 10: Revered

The rest of the ride to the city was in complete silence. In no time at all, Zero and Ciel reached Abel City, thanks to the speed of Zero's Ride Chaser.

Abel City is living up to what X has gathered about it: a futuristic utopia. It was unlike Neo or New Arcadia. The former a metropolis of martial law and corruption; the latter a simple village made from the remains of the preious one after an attack from a space station.

No. Abel City is different from either one of them. A bustling metropolis, full of activity and futuristic technology. Zero felt that, even though his memories are still dim, the city is indeed his home in his past.

A green female Reploid greeted them at a junction, obviously aware of their arrival. Zero parked his Ride ona parking lot, while Ciel got off to meet with the welcoming party.

"Welcome. My name is Roze. You must be the representative of New Arcadia, Miss Ciel-"

"Yes," Ciel replied.

"Welcome," Roze said again. "We here are glad that we can mae peaceful negotiations without starting a war between our two cities."

"So am I. Tell me, how long has this city- Been active?" Ciel couldn't find a better word. Nor could I...

"Oh, we've been operating for as long as the wars centuries ago. However, we here in Abel city use the most sophisticated cloaking technology so the war in theoutside world wouldn't set their sights here."

Zero grunted. 'Which means, they've been hiding even though there was a war going on? Three wars even? This certainly isn't the Abel City I knew. But, still-'

"Zero?" The Hunter was knocked out of his thoughts by Ciel, who was looking at him curiously. "Are you alright, Zero?"

"Sorry, Ciel. What were you talking about?"

Ciel only raised an eyebrow. "We're not talking about anything, Zero. We just saw you spaced out, and-"

"Wait," Roze interrupted. "Did you say his name was Zero? The Maverick Hunter Zero?" A few passersby, at the sound of the last word, turned in their direction.

When Zero said "yes", he found himself surrounded by Reploids and humans alike! Ciel was rudely pushed to the side away from Zero by a random fan, much to her surprise. The android realised that what X said was right: he is a hero here in Abel City!

Ciel speechlessly watched on one side as she saw Zero being pestered by questions.

"How old are you now?"

"Why do you look different from the statues we've seen?"

"Are you available?"

As more and more fans surround Zero, the more irritated he got. After all, he's not the type of person to like this sort of attention.

Finally, Roze broke off the crowd, knowing they should be on their way. Ciel giggled a little when she saw Zero's "fan club" make way for him, and looking very ruffled. "And this is why I hate being a hero," Zero muttered.

Roze took them to a moving platform. Just as they stepped on it, the platform sprang to life, taking them deeper into the city. Ciel peered over the ride, to look at the city below. She saw humans and Reploids alike mingling, going about ordinary lives.

'Zero is right. They existed in peace while the rest of the world is at war? That is strange,' Ciel thought.

A few minutes later, the platform veered to the side, braking in front of a large residential complex. Roze stepped off the platform and into the complex's pathway, and Ciel and Zero followed suit.

The group walked several floors. The room the Reploid took them to was close to the top floor. "This is where you will be staying," Roze said, opening the room's sliding door with a mere swipe of a card through a slot.

"The peace talk will be tomorrow. I suggest that you make yourselves at home until then." Roze left, but not before taking one last admiring glance at Zero.

Ciel looked around at her room, which has the furnishings that would rival that of a 5-star hotel. It was definitely, and significantly, larger then her own room in the Guardian Base.

Zero walked straight to the balcony. Leaning on the railings, he saw the spectacular view of the city below them. To him, this Abel City definitely felt like the one from his past.

Again Ciel had to say his name out loud to stir Zero out of his thoughts. She strode over to his side, softly whispering "Zero" in his ear. When she got his attention, Ciel added, "We have some free time until tomorrow, Zero. Why don't we go see the town?"

"Sure. Why not?" Zero replied.

Ciel smiled. Then, she remembered something. "But first, I have to wash up and get dressed. So Zero-"

"Hm?"

"Didn't you hear me, Zero? I have to wash up. So-"

"So-" Zero repeated, still not getting the message.

Ciel turned red, either from embarassment or anger even I don't know. "Zero!"

Next thing Zero knew, he was shoved angrily by Ciel to the outside. Even then the android never understood what Ciel meant. "Was it something I said?" he asked himself, blinking, apparently confused.

Ciel was leaning with her back on the other side of the door, as red as a rose. 'I know he's a robot, but he should know this sort of stuff, right? And, he is male, and-' Ciel cut off her own thoughts.

---

After that little incident, Ciel took a litte time longer to get dressed. Zero wasn't bothered at what she did to him earlier, so they set off for a night on the city.

CONTINUED
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Wheee! The shipping is up next! So... either Zero didn't hear the last part of the sentences that Ciel was saying or she is too embarrassed to finish it. Which I am guessing was, "-get out of the room."

Wheee! The shipping is up next! So... either Zero didn't hear the last part of the sentences that Ciel was saying or she is too embarrassed to finish it. Which I am guessing was, "-get out of the room."
    Oh, it was just that Ciel thought Zero knew what she's talking about, so she kept trailing off.
    Log 11: Hunter and Hunted

As they rode the platform that will take them downtown, neither Ciel nor Zero spoke. The latter instead looked around as their platform passed the sights. He noted that around them, every human and Reploid there seem to have a cyber-elf companion. 'Strange,' Zero thought. 'I thought-'

"Are you mad at me for what I did earlier, Zero?" Ciel asked suddenly and uneasily, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Why would I be angry?" Zero asked her back. "You had a good reason for doing so, right? And there was no harm done, anyway." Ciel felt relieved at Zero's words, until he asked, "So why did you do it anyway, Ciel? I'm just curious."

Again Ciel turned red. "Zero, you really don't get it, or are you just playing with me?"

Zero blinked again, meaning it was the former case. "Huh?"

Ciel heaved a huge sigh. "Never mind. Oh!" she added, looking at the ground below. "Looks like we're on a shopping district. Perfect!"

The platform descended and stopped right in front of a large department store. As he stepped off the platform after Ciel, Zero thought he sensed something nearby. But before he could do anything, Ciel pulled Zero by the hand into the building.

Ciel's first stop at the store was the women's department. For some reason he didn't know, Zero felt like he doesn't want to be there. I guess the sight of women's nightwear isn't for him, XP.

Their next stop was a souvenir stand, where they would choosed gifts for their friends back home. Ciel picked up a cute stuffed bunny for Alouette and a engineer's digest for Cerveau.

Zero couldn't make up his mind on what to get X and Axl. Besides, what sort of gifts could you give to cyber-elves? Too bad, since Zero was planning on buying a trick peanut butter bottle for the latter, as payback for the teases he's been experiencing.

After shopping, with poor Zero to carry all of their purchases, decided to try the food court next. There Zero became mobbed by fans, indicating that his arrival has reached the entire city! Ciel watched, amused, as her escort was once again plagued by questions of his legendary exploits.

It came as a surprise to Ciel when one innocent-looking boy walked from the crowd to her. The boy asked, "Are you his girlfriend? Why are you with him all the time?"

Ciel turned red at this question. "I- I don't know what you mean," she stammered, but the youth doesn't believe her. It came as a relief to Ciel when the mother arrived and towed him away, apologising to Ciel as well.

At the same time, Zero, ruffled once again, was able to get away from his "adoring public". Before more could come, however, he quickly led Ciel by the hand, carried their purchases in the other, and scurried away. Only when they went to an isolated part of the store did Zero screech to a halt. Ciel was relieved as she now has time to catch her breath.

"Now, do you see why I hate being a hero?" Zero asked her. Then he turned serious. "Why didn't anyone ever question the way I look? If they thought I as a Maverick Hunter as a hero, then the image they would be familiar with would -"

"-be the image of you back then," Ciel finished the thought, sounding suspicous as well. "That is strange. But, maybe they learned what you like during the Elf Wars, and-"

"That I highly doubt," Zero interjected. "Roze said that this city was unaffected by that war. And, did you notice? There are cyber-elves in this city, yet what X told us is that cyber-elves couldn't enter for some reason. And I know X enough not to doubt him."

Zero said nothing more after that. Ciel felt that it was because of this time of peace, one which Zero is not used to, that caused him to be suspicuous of everything. Leaving the store, Ciel was lost in thought of where they should head next. "I know," she said. "Let's see the town plaza. Maybe there are some good sights there."

Her escort wasn't exactly enthusiastic about that. After all, plazas are places of huge activities, meaning he will get lots of attention again, much to his dislike.

Indeed, the plaza is a place of activity. Stalls selling cheap merchandise dotted the corners of the large area; children, human, Reploid or cyber-elf(in child-like forms) playing around; and lovers on dates in secluded areas or going to some. The sight of the latter made Ciel think of "certain things" about her companion, but Zero didn't seem to notice.

The pair strolled around a beautiful fountain which Ciel admired. A bystander nearby told them: "A superstition goes around that when you make a wish after tossing a coin into the fountain, it will come true."

"I don't believe in superstitions," Zero muttered, crossing his arms.

"Come on, Zero, true or not, it will be fun," Ciel urged him. She tossed in a 1 Zenny coin, then closed her eyes to make the wish.

Zero arched an eyebrow after Ciel made her wish. "So, what was it you wished about?"

"I thought you didn't believe in these stuff," Ciel teased Zero.

"Never mind. Forget I asked." Zero turned away so that Ciel won't see his flustered face.

Ciel giggled a little. Then, the area around them began to light up. "Huh? What's going on?" She saw some children pointing upwards. Zero and Ciel followed their gaze to the sky, where it seems someone is shooting some fireworks. "Wow. I wonder what's the occasion?"

The bystander who told them of the fountain earlier stood from his feet. "That's strange. There wasn't a fireworks display scheduled for tonight."

At these words, Zero tensed. Then, some of the sparks from the fireworks were careening straight towards them. "Everyone, watch out!" he shouted in warning, tackling Ciel to one side as the debris hit a nearby lamppost, igniting and exploding it!

After shielding Ciel from the explosion, Zero stood up. There was a lot of smoke around, but he used his sensors to look around. Many of the people around them were hurt, but, fortunately, not any worse.

"Ciel," Zero told the girl after helping her up, "take everyone to safety. I'll get to-"

Another fireball fell their way, and it exploded behind Zero, blowing him violently forward. "Zero!" Ciel cried in alarm.

The force of the second explosion slammed Zero into another lamppost. As he stood up from the impact, he drew his Z-saber. "Don't worry about me, Ciel. Just go and get everyone out of here!"

Ciel did as instructed, and led everyone out of the park by hand. Zero activated the Shield Boomerang on his arm. Using its spin as a fan, he blew the smoke away to get a better view.

In front of him stood a bird-like Reploid. With red-and-gold plumage and wings that have the span thrice the length of Zero's arm, Zero had no trouble recognizing the attacker.

"Blaze Heatnix. How-"

"Long time no see, Zero. You look like you've seen a ghost."

CONTINUED
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Wow, this chapter has some shippy moments alright, but Blaze Heatnix?

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Um, no...
        Spoiler:- true nature:

Log 12: Enter the Fire Lords

Again, the android hero finds himself facing a foe from the distant past. Blaze Heatnix, on the other hand, seemed amused at the expression on Zero's face. "You may have gotten a new look, but I know that is you, Zero."

Zero pointed his Z-saber at Heatnix. "What are you doing here, Heatnix? I'm not surprised at all that you're alive, but now what are you guys after?"

"That's for you to know and for me to find out!" Heatnix lunged towards Zero in a fiery tackle, complete with afterburns in his wake.

Acting quickly, Zero used his left Z-knuckle to grab Heatnix by the beak, stopping him in his tracks. Then, he slashed his saber from the side, trying to hit the Maverick with it. However, Heatnix was fast as well, and freed himself from Zero's hold before the saber connected.

After the first attack, Heatnix hovered a few feet in the air in front of Zero. "Well, nice to see that a century of unrest never changed your fighting style, Zero."

"You never told me what are you doing here, Heatnix!" Zero shouted at him.

Heatnix only made Zero more furious by not giving the answer. Instead, he swooped downwards, and fired three fireballs straight in Zero's path. Zero sliced them all cleanly in half, but they were only a diversion, as Heatnix tackled him again.

In a good distance from the battle, Ciel watched, her hands on a few children she took with her. "M- M- miss," one of them muttered. "Is everything going to be okay?"

Ciel looked at the kid who ased the question. "Don't worry," she assured everyone in a whole. Zero can more than handle someone like that."

Zero quickly received the upper hand in battle. It seems that the Maverick has underestimated Zero's potential for the second time. "You've certainly become stronger than when we last faced each other, Zero," Heatnix said, while trying to catch his breath. "But that doesn't mean that I'm going to lose to you again!"

Reaching from the back, Heatnix revealed a small meteorite. "You know what this is, Zero? Never mind, since you're about to die anyway!" The Maverick crushed the meteorite, and it looked like he was absorbing(or maybe even inhaling) the resulting dust.

Everyone watched in astonishment as the flames surrounding Heatnix grew exponentially and dangerously. The park around them burst into flames from the scattered fire, and even Zero couldn't endure the scorching heat! Before he knew it, Zero felt himself being attacked from all directions by flames, and he had no time to dodge them all, his eyesight impaired by the fire.

In no time at all, Zero is on his knees, as the flames died down. "Now that the tide is turned, maybe finally I can have my sweet revenge on you." But, before he could deliver the finishing blow, Heatnix's hand was stopped by another.

"That's enough, Heatnix. We delivered the message. we should leave him, for now." Zero looked up, and, right in front of him, stood another familiar, but unwelcome face.

A tall, red, humanoid dragon-type Reploid stood in between Zero and Blaze Heatnix. "Magma Dragoon?" Zero said through exhausted breathes. "You, too? What in the world is going on?"

Dragoon turned around to look down on Zero. "You'll find out soon enough." He started walking away, and Heatnix followed reluctantly.

"Wait!" Zero called out to them, standing up shakily. "Why are you guys here? Did Sigma-"

At the name, both Dragoon and Heatnix laughed. "Sigma?" the latter scoffed. "He has nothing to do with any of our plans." Zero tried going after them, but his knees buckled. The two Mavericks literally disapeared by bursting into flames, leaving behind black scorh marks.

---

"A random Maverick attack? I find that hard to believe. Mavericks are long gone since a century ago!" This is what a police officer has to say when his squad arrived minutes after Dragoon's and Heatnix's departure.

"But, Officer," one eyewitness protested. This was the same guy who told Ciel and Zero of the fountain. "They're all clearly Maverick, just as the-" He tried pointing to someone, but that someone is gone. "Wait. Where did they go?"

"In any case," the superior officer stated, walking up to them. "This is clearly no ordinary criminal act, Maverick or not. We'll look into this further, but, as for now, I suggest you all return to your homes."

---

Zero and Ciel are back in their room in the apartment complex. For some reaon the former doesn't want to mingle with the authorities for now.

Ciel treated Zero's injuries. She is not as experienced in that sort of field as Cerveau, but it's such a short notice, and Zero didn't mind. Still- "Maybe you should have that checked after," she told Zero, pointing to a very bad burn just below the scruff of his neck.

"This is nothing," Zero replied absentmindedly.

"Are you sure you're okay, Zero?" Ciel asked worriedly.

"Don't worry about a thing, Ciel." Zero looked at a nearby clock, which read 11:00 PM. "You should be getting some sleep. Tomorrow will be that peace conference, you know."

---

Heatnix is seen slammed against a wall by a larger Reploid. Like Dragoon, he's based on a lizard, this time the mighty T-rex: Mattrex. The former isn't fighting back, as if he was being punished or something.

"That's enough," Dragoon, who was simply sitting in the sidelines, said, stopping Mattrex. "Heatnix has learned his lesson by now, haven't you?"

The firebird Maverick, who was on all fours, breathing hard, trying to recover. "Yes."

Mattrex straightened himself up. "He should know better than to disobey our lord's wishes. He should be-"

"I said, that's enough," Dragoon interjected. "I'm sure Heatnix knew by now that we shouldn't be making any hasty decisions, especially when dealing with Zero. After all, the lord has great plans for him. So revenge should never be a top priority than our true mission."

Four more shadows appeared behind Dragoon. "The lord wants to speak with you, Dragoon," one of them, avian-themed like Heatnix, said to Dragoon.

"I see. Tell him I will be there immediately, Rooster."

---

Ciel went reluctantly to sleep upon Zero's request. The Hunter, however, remained awake for several reasons: one, to keep an eye on her; and two, to ponder his thoughts on the recent events.

Zero was at the balcony of their room, overlooking the city. It seems Abel City's activity isn't hindered by sleep, as Zero saw that there are tons of activity below even at that late time.

'First Sigma is ressurected by Weil, then Heatnix and Dragoon return. Is it all connected? But they said that Sigma's never a part of their plans. Who is it then that those two are working for?'

Zero clenched his fists hard. "Whatever it takes, if they ever lay a finger on those I-" He cut himself off, instead looking back at the bedroom, where Ciel slept comfortably in the large bed. "I will not hesitate to destroy them again."

CONTINUED
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Ooo! Zero is about to say "love"! Zero loves Ciel! Man I really hope that Zero can't travel through reality, cause I like my life... So a gang of fire-based maverick is planing something eh? Interesting.

Log 13: Doppleganger

Before heading to sleep himself, Zero patched a message to the Guardian Base back in New Arcadia. In the morning he received a reply from X:

Blaze Heatnix and Magma Dragoon up and running about again? Axl and I will look into this, Zero. Take care for now. And make sure not to make hasty decisions by yourself.

Ciel woke up at 7:30 AM, one and a half hour before her meeting. Rubbing her eyes, the girl saw Zero spread out on the couch, his head lolling up and down. Ciel smiled at the awkward position her escort put himself to sleep in.

When Zero woke himself up, he heard the sound of a shower in the bathroom. 'Ciel must be taking a bath,' he presumed.

Sure enough, a second later, Ciel stepped out of the bathroom, clad only in a towel. For seconds the two did nothing but stare at each other. "Zero! Why are you looking at me like that?!" Ciel asked, turning red.

"Huh?"

Once again, the android found himself outside the hotel room. "Now what did I do?" he thought incredulously. "Women. BAH!"

---

When Ciel stepped out of the room, it was a quarter to nine. She barely has enough time to make it for the meeting. Ciel lookked around the hallway; Zero wasn't there.

"I hope I didn't make him mad,' she thought. Ciel didn't have time to look for him, though; she quickly rushed to the ride platforms, which will take her to the city's political district.

---

Zero walked by himself back to the plaza where he fought Blaze Heatnix earlier. The plaza is now under renovation. The people there act as though nothing's happened, despite the obvious damages done by the battle.

As Zero looked at the ruins, the thoughts of Mavericks returning ran through his mind. Zero looked at his hands, thenclenched them tightly. He clearly remembered what X said: that the Maverick Virus wasn't completely gone from Zero's system. Is there a connection to the two?

"Hey, you!" Zero turned in the direction of the call, and found the old man "fountain" from earlier. Since it was a clear day compared to last night, Zero had a good look of him now. Short, stocky, and balding, with a bushy white mustache, he walked up to the android. "You guys disappeared before the police turned up. How come?"

"Sorry about that, mister. I just don't like mingling with authority figures."

"Huh? You a criminal or something?" the old man asked, as he motioned for Zero to follow him. The latter felt that he could trust this guy, so he followed. "By the way, my name's Adelbert. And you're-"

"Zero," the latter said shortly. As the answer for the previous question: "Used to, sort of. I fought as a member of a resistance group opposed to the government of what used to be Neo Arcadia."

"I see. And where's your companion, anyway? That pretty young woman who was with you last night?"

'Is it just me, or is this old man too nosy?' "She is in a meeting with the leaders of your city. She's the representative of our city New Arcadia for a peace talk."

Adelbert nodded. "Oh, yes. I've heard all about it in the news." The duo stopped right in front of a bronze statue of Zero the Maverick Hunter. The old man then looked at his watch. "My, my, look at the time. I'll be seeing you, Zero."

Zero, however, had a lot on his mind, and didn't notice Adelbert saying farewell. He was staring at the statue, which featured him in the cursed body he inhabited during the Maverick Wars.

---

Ciel stepped off the ride platform and into what seems like a palace. The building that was the center of political activity took nearly half the entire city in size.

A guard motioned for her to follow him deeper into the complex. He led her down a long corridor, past offices of the city officials, and into the meeting hall.

"Miss Ciel of New Arcadia has arrived." Ciel, much to her nervousness, was greeted with raised eyebrows by all the city officials there. They weren't expecting New Arcadia's representative to be so young.

One, however, was thinking otherwise. "My, my, I never knew New Arcadia's ambassador to be a doll," he said out loud.

"Where are your manners, Zeke?" a female Reploid from the east row of seats stood up, and walked to Ciel. She extended her hand for Ciel to take. "Sorry about that. Zeke's greatest problem is his womanising."

The girls shook hands, then the Reploid introduced herself. "My name is Clear. Your name is Ciel, right?"

"Yes," was the reply as Clear led her to an empty seat. Unfortunately, it was right next to the obnoxious Zeke.

Ciel got a good look at the young man. He was tall, with long yellow hair. Add some armor, and he could very well stand as a double for Zero! "What, checking out the merchandise, babe?" he joked, which earned him a slap at the back of the head by Clear, who was sitting on his other side.

The Abel City mayor, sitting in the middle end of the table, cleared his throat for silence. "Now that our guest is here, let's discuss the matter at hand: peace between New Arcadia and Abel City."

---

Back in Guardian HQ, X has relayed all the information he received from Zero to then leader Cerveau. Both are lost in trying to figure out the mysteries surrounding Abel City.

"Perhaps there is a protection program surrounding the city's cyberspace, preventing entry for cyber-elves from the outside," the engineer theorized. "And I think it might be because of-"

"The Elf Wars?" both X and Axl said in unison. "That could be it," Axl added. "But, that war has ended a long time ago. How come the protection program is still there?"

"Perhaps it's because the original programmer disappeared or something. With a layout as vast as that city, maybe no one could have decoded the program."

"There's got to be a way past that program then," X said. "There is the problem with these old Mavericks that Zero told me about."

Axl tried to be cheerful under the circumstances their best friend is in. "Hey, we all know Zero can take care of himself, right? So there should be no point in worrying."

X sighed. "Hope you're right, Axl."

CONTINUED
    Trials of the Elite Four
    War of Legends
    Dream or Future?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast