Thread: Another "Newb" Beginning

Default Another "Newb" Beginning

Hey all, well as the post infers I'm new to serebii and to competitive Pokémon as well. I was hoping that someone could link me some helpful forum posts/websites to helping one get aquainted to competitive pokémon and all the things that need to be taken acounted for as well as calculated.

Currently I own both X an Y, and have just gotten my 8th badge and caught nearly all Pokémon native to the Kalos region. Got to thinking that all of my Pokémon I had caught so far hadnt had enough attention paid to their nature, stats, ev training, and abilities. So I decided to start my X version and begin the adventure again in order to pay more attention to my Pokémon so they might become more powerful and prepared for online competion once i beat the game. I hadn't played since Yellow up to Diamond/Pearl and Ive never actually payed attention to any of those things listed above. So any advice or links would be helpful at this point, I feel like a newb to Pokémon all over again when it comes to properly raising and training them.

So thanks for taking the time to read my post, and I hope to hear back from some of you soon. Hope to become a part of this community and find good tips and company!~
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 23rd October 2014 at 7:06 PM. Reason: don't encourage advertising

Hey there! Welcome to Serebii!
    If you want a friend, have any questions about the place, or just want someone to talk to, feel free to send me a FR or PM/VM me!

I consider myself to be pretty good with competitive battling, although I'm more familiar with the official rules instead of Smogon's rules. But if you need any advice in relation to competitive Pokémon, I'd be more than willing to help.

Made by Tini (FrozenConstellation).
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    Wow, mention Liepard, and everyone's active. I should do this more often.

I would suggest IV breeding for the team you want for X, then running them through the game as you normally would. Then, use a blank training bag to eliminate all EVs your Pokémon gained during the main game and go on ahead with EV training them as you normally would.

Here are a couple links to IV and EV guides. PM me if you have any other questions about competitive Pokémon or breeding, or anything besides non-game Pokémon information.

-Removed-
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 23rd October 2014 at 6:59 PM. Reason: Don't Advertise
    FC: 2234 - 8515 - 1161
    IGN: Nick

Quote Originally Posted by The Federation View Post
    I would suggest IV breeding for the team you want for X, then running them through the game as you normally would. Then, use a blank training bag to eliminate all EVs your Pokémon gained during the main game and go on ahead with EV training them as you normally would.

Here are a couple links to IV and EV guides. PM me if you have any other questions about competitive Pokémon or breeding, or anything besides non-game Pokémon information.
    Ty, that sounds like some good advice. It's made me decide to just wrap up my version of Y by finishing victory road and the elite four, as well as catching those last few Kalos native Pokémon. I figure I'll buy the Pokémon bank and use my Y version to breed "perfect IV pokémon" to transfer and use in X for competitive purposes and just to beat the game again. My only question about your advice however is, aren't "Blank Training Bags" extremely rare to come across? I've never come across a single one in my game.
    Really appreciate those links, they've both helped out a lot! Can't wait to put them to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by The Light Ruler View Post
    Hey there! Welcome to Serebii!
    If you want a friend, have any questions about the place, or just want someone to talk to, feel free to send me a FR or PM/VM me!

I consider myself to be pretty good with competitive battling, although I'm more familiar with the official rules instead of Smogon's rules. But if you need any advice in relation to competitive Pokémon, I'd be more than willing to help.
    Ty for the response, Ill have to take you up on that sometime. So what are the differences between Smogon's rules and the official rules? I just assumed everyone had to abide by the official pokemon rules. And ive only just recently been introduced to Smogon. Im just as new to it as I am to Serebii.

Welcome to Serebii forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here!

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer_X View Post
    Ty, that sounds like some good advice. It's made me decide to just wrap up my version of Y by finishing victory road and the elite four, as well as catching those last few Kalos native Pokémon. I figure I'll buy the Pokémon bank and use my Y version to breed "perfect IV pokémon" to transfer and use in X for competitive purposes and just to beat the game again. My only question about your advice however is, aren't "Blank Training Bags" extremely rare to come across? I've never come across a single one in my game.
    Really appreciate those links, they've both helped out a lot! Can't wait to put them to good use.
    It may be easier to IV breed then immediately fully EV train them before using them in a playthrough. That way they get the stats you want on them in one go, no need for a reset bag.

- Guys I know the OP asked for links, but linking other sites is generally falls under Serebii's no advertising rule (exceptions: linking Wikipedia, & resources posted in Clubs).

Hi Trainer X, welcome to Serebii.
    Please read the rules and let me know if you have questions or need help.
    Problematic Paranormal Files

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - 10% off $15+)
    The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: When communicating, dolphins use a signature whistle to let others know who's singing.

welcome to serebii

i like to help you out but i'm also pretty new to competitive play :/
    Let me be free...

Ty for the warm welcomes and advice everybody! It's very much appreciated. And sorry about the links. I'll read over the rules again. Ty for informing me.