Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Team Shocker! (529)

I was head over heels with joy when I saw the episode pictures for this episode, and learned that Jessie FINALLY won a contest. It was terrific when I finally got to see the episode too. At last, the writers FINALLY decided to break with tradition and let Jessie win something. That SO starts to make up for episodes where Team Rocket gets shafted, like "Princess vs. Princess" and "That's Just Swellow". James and Meowth's "old" jokes were pretty funny too.

Awesome, awesome episode.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/10
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

Actually, I prefer that TR get shafted most of the time - it makes the running joke so much more fun.... however, like you said, her winning was a good to show off her character

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2qnqtyf.jpg[/IMG]
    Looks like I might be here to stay...

PASBL Trainer Level: 4 | 26-12-8 | 77 KO's | 199 TP | 0 SP
    PASBL Referee (C+)
    | Squad | League Table |

[.:Badges:.]
    Reffing Badge
    Onslaught Badge

I'm just guessing it was another case of one of the writers won a bet! Someone up in Japan wanted Jessie to win for so long, but lost the coin toss each time up until now. Plus it added a bit to the general story for Dawn. Poor girl, May didn't have to put up with not making it into the first round at all during Hoenn...
    3DS Friend Code: 2079-6549-2981
    "Let's trade and battle!" - *message me first*
    I am a shadow, I seek the ways of Hadou.
    I'll have you know, I am a Lucario.

Oh, man? Still going for the coin toss approach? I'm sure it can't be as bad as that! I reckon it was definitely a corporate decision..... *nods*

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2qnqtyf.jpg[/IMG]
    Looks like I might be here to stay...

PASBL Trainer Level: 4 | 26-12-8 | 77 KO's | 199 TP | 0 SP
    PASBL Referee (C+)
    | Squad | League Table |

[.:Badges:.]
    Reffing Badge
    Onslaught Badge

Well this episode was a real shocker I could tell you that!

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

It's so boring. Why two time in a row(517 and 529) Dawn does not in the battles?
    So from episode 495 until 546 we don't seeing a normal contest!
    And why Zoey and Kenny are using Glameow and Prinplup all the time????
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I liked it. It really shows how dawns character is coming along, and, that she's NOT an airhead like a few people say she is.
    Fay D. Flourite. All kinds of epic.

image credit

my twin is xXContestShipperXx
    my Evil twin is riolulu
    my pair is Tadashi
    my wife is Mewluvr200
    my husband is Drybones446

This was a nice episode. Although Dawn lost, it was a suprise in who won.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow XD001 View Post
    This was a nice episode. Although Dawn lost, it was a suprise in who won.
    I was surprised that Jessie won. Well, this is DP, anything can happen. Zoey appearing with Glameow was just SOOOO boring.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Glad that Jessie won a contest ^-^ she deserve it
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

Wow I totally forgot Dawn lost this one as well and didn't get into the first round, as I said before it kinda makes Dawn's contests more unqiue then May's mostly because May always got in the second round but Dawn didn't.

It's interesting Jessie won her first ribbon as well, shows they can sometimes won, pity she got rid of Dustox considering it's the reason she got it
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

This episode was awesome and very shocking. Jessie finally won her first ribbon. I felt sorry for Dawn, but I knew she'd recover. I also liked how the main girl didn't win just for being the main girl.

It was good for Jessie to finally win a ribbon too.

8.5/10

I liked that Kenny, Dawn and Jessie competed in this contest. Usually we don't get so many rivals in one episode.

Kinda disappointed that Dawn lost and didn't get a ribbon for the second time in a row. It was hard to watch. On the other hand, glad Jessie won her first ribbon. Never thought I'd see that.

Good way to end Solaceon, with so many new things. 7/10

I like that Jessie competes in contest and actually does good enough to win, it makes her a little more than comic relief and I like that. I also like Kenny and think he's a great rival. I felt bad for Dawn but I know she gets better. Good episode.

Skipping one review, the set up episode with Kenny and Aipom's evolution to Ampibom.

Well, this is it, the last of the 3 (maybe 3-still not sure about the Tag Battle arc) really influential episodes in Sinnoh. You know, since the tag battle arc and James's release of Cacnea, the episodes have been sort of routine; nothing's happened that you wouldn't have really expected. Also, a few of those episodes were filler; to me, it seemed like things were now going to go the normal route since the foundation was laid for everything. Ash and Paul had their rivalry pretty much set, and Dawn had her rivals. So all there was to really look forward to now was Ash winning his gym badges and Dawn getting her ribbons, and then so on. Normal stuff. Then this episode came. Unbelievable. I think this is where I really started to believe anything can happen in Sinnoh.

Unlike last time, Dawn does play a huge role in her failure to get out of the first round. Her appeal is fine to begin with, but its success sort of gets to her. She's so happy that in a rush of confidence, she ends up overdoing it. And yet...You feel for her. The main reason why she is so happy and excited during the appeal is because of her result at the last contest (and remember, she didn't do anything too wrong then); so unfortunately, one disaster led to another. But this time, Dawn handles the loss better. She does not leave the contest hall after the first round results are announced, even when Jessie taunts her and begins pushing her towards the door. Dawn understands this time that losing is a part of things, as long as she and Ampibom gave their best. But that doesn't mean she's not upset; she's just trying to hide it and act responsible. I'm sure, at some point or another, we've all been (or will be) in a situation like this, and it's not easy. It's just a part of life. Brock (!) and Jessie are surprised by Dawn's decision to stay, but Ash catches on to how Dawn is really feeling, and looks down, with his hat covering his eyes (another example of not knowing what Sinnoh Ash is thinking). Like I said back at the Pachirisu episode, Dawn is an introverted character, and Ash and Zoey are the ones who recognize this the most and do something about it.

However, Dawn's loss this time is much more serious than last time. Dawn really does not know what to do, and that's quite frightening. It's one thing to work harder, but when you are already working as hard as you can, where do you go from here? The ugly answer may just be that you're not good enough to do this. No one says this, but considering the looks on Zoey's and Nando's faces at the last contest, and the look on Kenny's face at this contest-the manner of those looks-, it's on their minds. Even Dawn's mother is really worried, her concern contrasting to the knowing smile she had when watching the last contest; I would bet she never went through something like this.

Well, if all of this was not shocking enough, Jessie wins the contest! Absolutely unreal. 2 contests in a row where Jessie has outperformed Dawn.

I think Kenny's departure once the contest is over is something I've been guilty of many times, especially when I was in high school. Coming into this contest, Kenny had gotten 2 ribbons, and also made a final where he lost to Zoey. Things are looking really good for him, and he has to be feeling very confident. When life is going that well for you, sometimes it's easy to be a little dismissive of your friend's troubles. It really looks like, right now, that Dawn has little chance of becoming a great coordinator. She can't even get out of the first round. It's hard to know what to say to that, especially when you're doing so well yourself. To him, contests are probably so easy right now. I think this scene is quite ironic because of what happens at the Grand Festival and specifically in dp 180. I really think, if in this episode Kenny had stayed and told Dawn what she did wrong during the contest, the storyline would have been much different. However...

Zoey is the one who comes to the rescue (Zoey did not participate in this contest). Late next morning, she comes to the pokemon center, is told by Ash and Brock that Dawn is still in the bedroom, barges in there, and proceeds to tell Dawn what she did wrong. This is a MUCH better reaction from Zoey compared to the last contest, and I'm trying to think about why the difference. I really think she's taken some lessons from Ash on the optimism mentality, especially considering that at the end of the episode she tells Ash to do well at his next gym battle to cheer Dawn up. I think it's the way Dawn reacts to watching Ash vs watching Zoey. Ash works hard and connects with his pokemon, which is something that Dawn can be inspired by for her own training. When Dawn has watched so Zoey so far, she tends to think...that Zoey is brilliant, which is not the idea she needs right now considering how low her confidence is. Zoey has told Dawn what to focus on in her training, and that's really all Zoey can do for her until Dawn becomes more confident.
    Last edited by wind21; 20th July 2010 at 2:55 AM.

Finally Jessie gets a ribbon....but what a shock for Dawn not getting through the first round again....she just doesn't do her basics right.Hope she recovers from this loss

This episode was cool. It was interesting to see that Jessie wins her 1st ever Contest Ribbon. Dawn really overdid the Appeal Round. She really didn't show off Ambipom in the right way, the Swift attack was being way overused and was hiding Ambipom most of the time. Unfortunately she lost during the Appeal round for the 2nd time already.

70/100

I was glad to see Ash and Turtwig get a little Energy Ball training done here, and Jessie's floating appeal with Dustox was the best that she had done up to this point imho. In fact, I got a savage pleasure watching Jessie's Dustox slay Kenny's Prinplup in the Contest battle as well. It was just nice seeing Kenny flop while Jessie become triumphant for once.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567