Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon VGC Winter Games

Default Pokemon VGC Winter Games

Welcome to the Pokemon VGC Winter Games Tournament!!!

Introduction

Last summer, Pokemon video game tournament for the games Platinum, Diamond, and Pearl were held in across America, Japan, and in several European countries.

There were a few problems with the new tournament--the biggest being the selection process. Back then, many people would travel many miles to get to the tournament, only to find out that they weren't randomly selected to in the tournament. I was one of those people.

To that end, I created an authentic pokemon tournament over Wi-Fi that used the VGC rules with about two differences for the people that didn't get in. When it was over, a participant in the tournament suggested the "VGC Winter Games," thus, this thread was born.

Rules and Requirements

The rules of the VGC Winter Games Tournament will be the new ones that will be utilized in the upcoming official 2010 Pokemon tournament next year.
    The rules can be found at: this site

The battles will be double battles in which each player uses 4 Pokemon.
    ***You need to leave your friend code, in-game name and list of Pokemon you will use. (just the pokemon, not the moves or items or anything else.) Please try to put them in the icon form like this one: . It makes it a lot easier for me.

You may also change your pokemon as many times as necessary until the day before the tournament (meaning that you can't change them the day of the tournament)

Competitors

The following are listed in this order: Serebiiforums Username, In-Game name, Friend Code, Pokemon on the team.

1.TR_Jessie--------------BRIANNA--------5112 9302 8123--
    2. SP-Eevee-------------Rachel-----------2750 9583 0185--

CONGRATULATIONS, SP-Eevee FOR WINNING!!!!

Closing
    ***The Tournament will take place via Wi-Fi December 20th at 4:00 Pm Eastern time.

First place winner will get a:

Mew
    Modest
    31/31/31/31/31/31
    L5 UT
    which will be provided by mattj.

Second place will get a docile shiny Rhyhorn provide by golden charizard.

I hope I can get more people to enter this year and have this more of a success, so don't hesitate to ask for entry. You can choose to drop out and/or rejoin at any time unless it is the day before the tournament.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please either post them here or PM me (TR_Jessie) about them.

I wish you all luck in building your teams and with your battles in the tournament, as this should be a great warm-up for the real thing!
    Last edited by TR_Jessie; 3rd January 2010 at 3:12 AM.
    My Buddy, Penny the Growlithe

So liek one day Garchomp wuz liek "Hey u guyz, why am i's so gewds?" and peeps wur lieks "idk chomp, you da man" so now he's an uber
    3DS FC: 1418-6724-2916

Yep, you have more credibility running tournaments than me so I'm glad you started this. You know I'm in. If it starts around winter break, that's perfect with me.

BadIntent----Malice---------0087 8724 2518----

EDIT: Oh, and I think the rounds should be best of 3. Like they did at Worlds. Because I would hate to get so hyped for this and then get haxxed in round 1 and get an early exit.
    Last edited by BadIntent; 3rd December 2009 at 8:59 AM.
    2010 Phoenix VGC Regionals: Top 8
    2010 USA Nationals: 5th Place
    2010 World Championships: 16th Place

Since my DS broke last time after I signed up...

Username: ---- jeyre80 ---- In-Game Name: DAWN ---- F.C. @ Platinum:4855-4426-4906 ---- F.C. @ PBR: 5370-6809-5595
    ---- Team: Coming Soon

Also, I think the end of December would be a better start time. People will still be out of schoo; for winter break, so battles would probably get done a little faster.
    Last edited by James Bondage; 3rd December 2009 at 2:33 PM.

Added BadInent and jeyre80. Nice to have you guys back.

So liek one day Garchomp wuz liek "Hey u guyz, why am i's so gewds?" and peeps wur lieks "idk chomp, you da man" so now he's an uber

Hey, I will join was well again this time^^ with a whole new team.

IGN: Elec
    FC: 5456 6597 5635
    Team:
    Click please^^

I'm back!

IGN: GREYSON

FC: 0173-8256-4720

Pokemon: Infernape-Garchomp-Dusknoir-Suicune-Scizor-Ludicolo

I would like to be in, but I need to get an FC for my HG cart.

Actually, change of team: Persian, Togekiss, Dusknoir, Flygon, Infernape and Rayquaza
    Click please^^

Maybe we should do a couple of Swiss rounds first, and then the top players should do best 2 out of 3 battles.

Quote Originally Posted by greysong View Post
    Maybe we should do a couple of Swiss rounds first, and then the top players should do best 2 out of 3 battles.
    ^ That idea seems pr0 to me. Better than mine.

Bestgamepearl, Andrew, 1032-8056-6824
    not exactly sure of team yet.

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

I'm in for sure~!
    SP-Eevee, Rachel (not my RL name however), Code: 2750-9583-0185
    Team: Pending

Thanks to Murder Designs for the Banner!
    PASBL Profile
    See UPN for up to date stats

I'll give it a shot. =) Mattj recommend it to me. But I won't be home January 1-4 (I do believe), so if that is when the tournament is scheduled, I'll have to drop out.

godudette--Lena--2536 3083 9995-- Team Pending.
    ~love~~love~
    cutest.of.them.all
    Quote Originally Posted by col_serra View Post
    but mew is jesus

All of you have been added.

But can you all do me a favour? When you make changes or sign up to the tournament, please put your pokemon in icon form like this one: .
    It makes it so much easier for me; plus, it looks better.

Anyway, I think I'll make them two-out-of-three matches. I don't really want to, but I will. (If you win the first two matches, you don't have to play a third one by the way.)

But, just to go against the 2 out of 3 thing, you guys know that sometimes, a person's strategy could very well rely on surprise? (Well, mine doesn't really. Just saying )

Sign me up. Team and FC in the sig

VVVV

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight_Trainer View Post
    Sign me up. Team and FC in the sig

VVVV
    You're in. Wow! Only seven spots left. This thing filled up really quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by TR_Jessie View Post
    Anyway, I think I'll make them two-out-of-three matches. I don't really want to, but I will. (If you win the first two matches, you don't have to play a third one by the way.)

But, just to go against the 2 out of 3 thing, you guys know that sometimes, a person's strategy could very well rely on surprise? (Well, mine doesn't really. Just saying )
    I totally agree. Can't speak for the others entrants, but I'm not running my main team, because people will catch on to the strategy. But you know, there's not all that much surprise when you have to list all 6 Pokemon anyway xD

I'm actually quite fine with just the 1st battle. That is how PBR works and that is how I do almosta all my battling (hence why I like official tournament rules). In all honesty, a 2nd round more or less takes away the surprise factor in some strategies. I have hosted/participated in tourneys before, and round robin, where everyone battles everyone for points, seems to work VERY well. After each battle you are awarded points for A - doing the battle and B - how many pokemon you have remaining.

Well, I'd like to try this this tournament. Haven't been on Serebii for a while, but I thank BadIntent for telling me about this!

Username: Mosquitox216
    In-game name: Sakuya
    FC: 1977 6031 4876
    Team: To be announced

Another thing - about our teams; can we switch around pokemon (while maintaining species)? Because some people might want to switch around different pkoemon of the same species, especially the ubers (ex. A person might use a Physical Rayquaza one match, and then a Mixed Rayquaza another match).
    Last edited by Mosquitox216; 5th December 2009 at 6:43 AM.
    Platinum FC: Sakuya 1977 6031 4876

Time Zone: GMT -5 (Eastern US)

I can't believe somebody took "VashTheStampede" as their username! WTF

This should be fun, I'll try and get some of my m8s to sign up. I'll have a DS soon, so no problem. Or I'll borrow one. Which means I'll likely be using my 09 Worlds Team or something like it... meh.

BTW, you do know that you don't get to see the opponents team AT ALL unless you are in the Finals, right? I believe they should not be posted, but sent to the Tournament Organizer in a PM, but that's just my 2 cents.

I'll add in a team when I can get one sorted, as well as a FC and such.

VashTS out.

Can I join? That sounds pretty fun. My
    FC: (most likely) 1548-0581-2265

I think I'm using Pearl but I may change.

And I forgot to say... I don't know my team yet... TBA there
    Last edited by Rocky Balboa Owns; 5th December 2009 at 3:03 PM. Reason: And I forgot to say I don't know my team yet
    CUT ME MICK!!!

I wasn't aware that only 2 tournaments could be up and running at a time when I approved this so I am moving this to the leagues section as I don't feel it would be fair to close this because of my screw up. Good luck with this.
    3DS FC : 2509-2166-4408

Added calum and Rocky Balboa Owns.

Update: Tournament will take place on either the Saturday, Sunday, Monday (or maybe Tuesday) before Christmas.

Update 2: 1 battle. End of discussion.

Im in....
    ign: Erik fc in sig

I'll join too, this'll be fun.

Acorn - 0818 2963 5890
    Team: TBA

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast