Page 247 of 363 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251257297347 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,175 of 9065

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Tyrant View Post
    okay i can pretty much stop taking anything you say seriously now

anyway, i actually like Iron Maiden's self titled a lot more than most of the stuff with Dickinson... i have similar feelings about them to Priest, that i respect the stuff they do but i'm not a big fan of most of it and i think they're more a song than album band.
    I think you're getting a bit over-the-head there. I mean, sure, one can prefer one vocals over the other; heck, I even prefer Bruce over the other two Maiden vocals (I have a thing for operatic vocals), but to say "Paul/Blaze sux, Bruce is da man" not only shows that they have little to no knowledge in music, it's not a very matured attitude either. I have come across a few who were like that, and I'm like "Dude, did you even listen to their stuffs? Or the albums where Bruce was not in there?" They all have brought something unique to the table, and have built Maiden the way they are today. Blaze Bayley even did a pretty amazing job when he's in Wolfsbane. Anyway, did you watch the documentary Flight 666? Watch it and please tell me if you haven't seen at least one poser (i.e someone who can't name more than 3 or 4 Iron Maiden songs). Anyway, now that reminds me of a story when I went to Megadeth's Gigantour concert some 2-1/2 years ago. One of the guest bands were In Flames. So while I was waiting in the line, one guy came up to me and started a conversation. He was all bragging about how big of an In Flames fan he was, and stating his feelings about the songs of their newer albums. At one point I asked him about his opinion on The Jester Race, and he replied "What's that?". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

So while we are still discussing NWOBHM, did anyone hear about Hell's new album coming out on Friday the 14th? I found their single on youtube. Not that I'm a fan of them or anything, but I like the instrumental. The vocals sound weak and bland. He needs more power.
    "Your signature was too epic! My epeen couldn't handle its epicness" - so called half-arsed mod (they know who they are)

I didn't rate that Hell track much. It wasn't bad, it just felt very tame. Like there was no energy about it. I know a guy who loved them first time round, and has all the tapes/vinyls, but absolutely hates the new versions.

Quote Originally Posted by poizonsting View Post
    I think you're getting a bit over-the-head there. I mean, sure, one can prefer one vocals over the other; heck, I even prefer Bruce over the other two Maiden vocals (I have a thing for operatic vocals), but to say "Paul/Blaze sux, Bruce is da man" not only shows that they have little to no knowledge in music, it's not a very matured attitude either. I have come across a few who were like that, and I'm like "Dude, did you even listen to their stuffs? Or the albums where Bruce was not in there?" They all have brought something unique to the table, and have built Maiden the way they are today. Blaze Bayley even did a pretty amazing job when he's in Wolfsbane.
    i like their self titled album more than Iron Maiden's other stuff. i never said anything about the vocals. Dickinson is a ****ing great vocalist, technically speaking, but i don't care for operatics usually (an exception being this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYLrNXv3Q0), and even if i did, that doesn't mean i'm going to like the albums he sings on.

and considering what you say below i don't think you're on the grounds to be calling anyone not very matured.
    Anyway, did you watch the documentary Flight 666? Watch it and please tell me if you haven't seen at least one poser (i.e someone who can't name more than 3 or 4 Iron Maiden songs). Anyway, now that reminds me of a story when I went to Megadeth's Gigantour concert some 2-1/2 years ago. One of the guest bands were In Flames. So while I was waiting in the line, one guy came up to me and started a conversation. He was all bragging about how big of an In Flames fan he was, and stating his feelings about the songs of their newer albums. At one point I asked him about his opinion on The Jester Race, and he replied "What's that?". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
    no, i didn't watch Flight 666. and nor do i care to.

and yes, there are going to be people just getting into metal music who only know new In Flames who are attending Megadeth concerts. that doesn't mean they're "posers". it means they aren't well versed enough in the underground, so how about instead of acting like a douche bag and throwing around that word way too much you do something useful and tell them to check it out because it's one of their earlier albums and they may enjoy it and maybe give them some other, lesser known bands to try out too? that way everyone's happy and you may have started someone on the path to knowing better bands, instead of blindly insulting anyone who isn't as well versed as you. there's a ****ing idea, huh?

when i went to my Nevermore show, i was sat next to a dude in a Maiden shirt (i sat as i had showed up late and i couldn't be ****ed fighting to the front when the seats were already damned close to the stage) and we started talking. he liked **** like In Flames, Soilwork, etc, and as a suggestion, i told him to check out the Swedish band Dismember. Dismember were one of the bands from the scene in Stockholm, Sweden, a scene which was to be considered the precursor to Gothenburg, only it never got the amount of attention it did because the bands were far less accessible to the public ear than the Gothenburg scene.

see how you can just bite your tongue and instead of acting like a douche bag maybe turn someone to the music you like? that's a mystery for the ages, huh.
    Last edited by Evilyn; 29th April 2011 at 2:07 PM.

double post because **** yes, new Autopsy song and it ****ing slays. any of you ****ers who didn't like Autopsy before or were keeping track of all 2011 releases better pick this the **** up, since from the EP last year + this song it's safe to say this might be as good as their first two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_gQsSv9s8

That Autopsy track was great. I might have to blog about that...

New Morbid Angel track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxPES...layer_embedded
    Last edited by ImitationOfLife; 29th April 2011 at 9:44 PM.
    My Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/MKVR32

Check out my music blog as well: http://metaladvisor.blogspot.com/

i think i posted that new Morbid Angel track before here, i know i did on another forum.

it's pretty good, it's grown on me since i first heard it, but eh. it's pretty good. still looking forward to the new album, even though the song titles are really **** and made me think twice.
    not that i'd judge an album on song titles alone... but you know.

that other song they've been playing live (Nevermore) sounds pretty eh though...

I quite liked the Autopsy track, especially given I haven't been a fan in the past.

And I wasn't keen on Morbid angel really. I felt it was pretty generic modern death metal that any one could produce. It didn't have that special morbid angel 'x facotr' the first 4 albums had.

i have to agree the new Morbid Angel track was kinda generic... it's a bit like a more generic Heretic, and i like it for what it was, but yeah i'd prefer something like another of the first four albums, not a repeat of them of course but i was expecting something different since Vincet's back.

i actually like Formulas Fatal to the Flesh quite a bit, but it's not as good as their first two, and about as good as Covenant and Domination. couldn't give two ****s about Heretic and Gateways to Annihilation, they're not bad, they're just so... boring.

dunno why Domination gets so much flak though, it's a good album.

i like their self titled album more than Iron Maiden's other stuff. i never said anything about the vocals. Dickinson is a ****ing great vocalist, technically speaking, but i don't care for operatics usually (an exception being this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYLrNXv3Q0), and even if i did, that doesn't mean i'm going to like the albums he sings on.
    I love the Paul Di'Anno albums. "Prodigal Son" is probably the only song from the first two albums that I just hate.

Whoops, I completely missed that one. I forget here and there that its on Puppets.
    But "Battery" is still more generic sounding and less enjoyable than both "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets."

i agree, which is why i don't really dig post Ozzy Sabbath. Dio's vocals are good and i like his solo work (well, kinda) but i couldn't get into most of what he was doing with Sabbath. just wasn't something that i liked... and with such a drastic change to the more epic style they did with him compared to the bluesier, down tempo hard rock stuff that was typical of early Sabbath (at least on their first three records), i can't help but be a bit biased towards him changing it to something completely different.
    Dio's work with Sabbath is mediocre at best and hardly as consistent as material from the Ozzy era. All of the albums from the debut through Sabotage are simply classics.

How can you hate prodigal son?

It comes out of nowhere and doesn't really go anywhere. It's as if they put it on Killers as an obligatory ballad and not for any other reason. All of the other songs on the album are electric and upbeat, with the preceding title track being particularly aggressive. "Prodigal Son" tosses out the consistency of the album and it isn't even a standout track: it's just a bland ballad.

Cam, I didn't say that I find puppets worse then battery, just Ride the Lighting. While RtL is an excellent song, I just have something for the fast paced road that battery paves from the near beginning of the song till the end. For puppets, its one of the best lead up 1-2 punch that a thrash album has delivered. As for Prodigal Son, hmm not too sure what can be said bout it. Its good, but not good enough. I have to agree with Cain on how it distrupts the album. It was a great listen until that great big thud it is. It just smacks you in the face. As for the Di' Anno era? Phantom is definitely one of the best things to come out of it, if not THE best.
    Last edited by mitchman_93; 30th April 2011 at 6:35 PM.
    BLAH

Metallica, more like Mehtallica to me...

Eye of the Beholder is their best song in my opinion along with Battery.

can't say i hate Metallica, since i used to like them a lot, but i only would listen to Kill Em All, half of Puppets and Lightening, and a handful of songs off of Justice. i know it's kind of a cliche thing to say a band's first album is their best, but i think Kill Em All is the best thing Metallica did, it's got a much punkier attitude then their later coming ****, which made some of the riffing a bit more interesting and aggressive, and James vocals were actually not too terrible there.

if i wanted thrash, there's Coroner, Exodus, Dark Angel, Sepultura, Destruction, etc all of which i like a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain Nightroad View Post
    It comes out of nowhere and doesn't really go anywhere. It's as if they put it on Killers as an obligatory ballad and not for any other reason. All of the other songs on the album are electric and upbeat, with the preceding title track being particularly aggressive. "Prodigal Son" tosses out the consistency of the album and it isn't even a standout track: it's just a bland ballad.
    Each to their own, but I think its a nice melodic break from the sort of relentless high energy tracks. I just think its a nice song. Maybe It would be better at the end of the album, but I don't think its position takes away form its quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by QingLong View Post

good one :P Ive used that one a few times myself, along with Mehgadeth.

Damage Inc is clearly their best track, and the only good song on Master of Puppets.

if i wanted thrash, there's Coroner, Exodus, Dark Angel, Sepultura, Destruction, etc all of which i like a lot more.
    Yeah, I think thats my main problem with them, other bands do thrash better. And their none thrash stuff is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    good one :P Ive used that one a few times myself, along with Mehgadeth
    As opposite to Mehtallica I really love Megadeth, and I think their last album Endgame is a masterpiece.

Not sure I'd go that far. But it wasn't terrible

when it comes to me and metallica, i really only enjoy the four instrumentals these days. i never got into kill 'em all at all and wonder why people even like it tbh. rtl, mop and ajfa are all classics and host 3/4 of the instrumentals so yay. i like a few songs from their next few albums like the unforgiven ii, the house that jack built and mama said. i don't even have st. anger lol and imo death magnetic is better than all of their 90s work if only because of suicide & redemption.

mehgadeth is the correct spelling btw.

i never got into kill 'em all at all and wonder why people even like it tbh.
    it's more aggressive, energetic, and riffier than their later albums. it's much simpler and to the point, as where on proceeding albums they started to "progress" and be more melodic with their style, which they never did very well. they had some good songs after that (Creeping Death, Battery, etc) but most of these were their "thrashers" so to speak that cut out all the acoustics inbetween songs, the slower parts, and just got to the point.

it really all comes down to the type of thrash you prefer when it comes to which album you'll like, so i could see why people wouldn't like Kill Em All, but i still insist that it's better than anything they've done since.

and really with Metallica's discography, the Black album had about one or two good songs, (Re)Load weren't absolutely terrible but i just don't like them, St Anger had a lot of flaws and it was pretty **** for the most part, and frankly, Death Magnetic is as bland as their alt rock stuff.

Metallica were best when they weren't good "songwriters" but were just some dudes who listened to the Misfits and Diamond Head, picked up some instruments and decided to mix the two.

as for Megadeth, Rust In Piece and Peace Sells were their best albums. people can claim that their other early thrash albums were good to, but Peace Sells showed them at their angriest and loudest (more so than the preceding album), while Rust In Piece showed off Dave's absolutely awesome ability to write technical but catchy as **** riffs; it's one of those "tech" or "prog" albums that don't bore the **** out of me because there's actually a lot of catchy material in it. i do think Dave's a bit overrated as a guitarist, but there are still some awesome riffing on those albums.

that being said, the rest of their discography is mediocre.
    Last edited by Evilyn; 1st May 2011 at 2:38 AM.

Haha, I haven't really listened to thrash in a loooooooooooong time. I agree with Hammerheart that "Damage, Inc." is the best song on Puppets.

Now I see why you call them "Mehtallica" - you're listening to the boring stuff. "No Remorse" and "Damage, Inc." are my favorites. ...And Justice for All in general is just boring.

Not sure I'd go that far. But it wasn't terrible
    Considering that it was a step above mediocrity, it isn't hard to see why someone would call it a masterpiece. I haven't heard an above average "new" thrash band/album since Endgame.

Considering that it was a step above mediocrity, it isn't hard to see why someone would call it a masterpiece. I haven't heard an above average "new" thrash band/album since Endgame.
    Vektor would like a word with you sir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7G7iYCxK9U

pay special attention to the ending solo, i haven't heard a solo executed that well in metal in a long time. as well as the part starting around 3:40; a lot of 70's prog rock influence on their album (mostly from King Crimson, imo).

...And Justice for All in general is just boring.
    to live is to die would like a word with you good sir.

pay special attention to the ending solo, i haven't heard a solo executed that well in metal in a long time. as well as the part starting around 3:40; a lot of 70's prog rock influence on their album (mostly from King Crimson, imo).
    ok ok i took the 70s prog bait. the vocals aren't terrible so i am immediately interested. the music is good so i am extremely interested. commence addition to my list.

and frankly, Death Magnetic is as bland as their alt rock stuff.
    One of the problems being that it's trying to redo the old, but informed with everything that made their alt-rock-grounded albums so subpar. Still like All Nightmare Long, though.

Man, this is pretty awesome. I really wish the vocals were more intelligible, though, but I'll get over that.

I love the Paul Di'Anno albums. "Prodigal Son" is probably the only song from the first two albums that I just hate.
    How can you hate that song? "Prodigal Son" alone has more quality and is more beautiful than all the songs in A Matter of Life and Death combined. The solo is one of the best Maiden solos, if not THE best.

Quote Originally Posted by QingLong View Post

Mehtallica? Actually scratch that; more like Alternatica Yes, that's the path they have gone through since Load.
    "Your signature was too epic! My epeen couldn't handle its epicness" - so called half-arsed mod (they know who they are)

Now I see why you call them "Mehtallica" - you're listening to the boring stuff. "No Remorse" and "Damage, Inc." are my favorites. ...And Justice for All in general is just boring.
    Not even close dude, I know all their stuff... Damage Inc and No Remorse are good songs too by the way.

But seriously, Metallica is too much overrated imo.

Page 247 of 363 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251257297347 ... LastLast