Page 299 of 362 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 9036

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

Right now I am listening to Symbolic by Death because I had promised an ex-collegue that I would do so. This is not the first time that I venture deep into this genre, but it is probably the first time I am kind of enjoying it. Progressive Metal and Opeth are the closest things to trv metal I like, and after many attempts I have decided that the genre is not really offering what I look for in music.

Anyway I wanted to ask, where does Symbolic by Death stand in the Death Metal scene? I have the feeling this is supposed to be very good... but I'm not sure and could be very wrong. So far I like Sacred Serenity best, and as always, I like the music much better than the vocals.

EDIT: Misanthrope is another I enjoy
    Last edited by Fenix; 19th February 2012 at 8:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic182 View Post
    Big fan of metal music. Metallica and Megadeth are some of my favourite bands along with some other ones.
    Those are both good bands.
    Gone foREVer. Goodbye.

DeviantART | Twitter | YouTube

Good at times, but not great.

Watched Alcest, Les Discrets and Soror Dolorosa last night.
    It was a good gig, but spoiled by stuff like lights, photogrophers, a bad mix, and poor pa system.

Les Discrets doesn't really sound like metal to me, though they are surprisingly similar to Alcest sound-wise IMO. Two french bands with a similar sound (when it is as unique as it is), it's just strange.

I wouldn't say they were. They have element's of it, but compositionally they aren't. I guess that's where the post black metal tag comes from.

It's interesting cause Neige the main guy behind Alcest and Fursy Teyssier the guy behind Les Discrets and Winterhalter who currently Drums for Both of them, used to be in a band called Amesoeurs together, along with a woman called Audrey Sylvain who often get's confused with Audrey Hadorn who is in Les Discrets at the moment.

Amesoeurs are pretty badass as well.
    France actually has some good music, (not trying to sound demeaning) but especially if you look at their metal/metal-related stuff. Alcest/Amesoeurs/Les Discrets and then you have Gojira for example.

nehëmah and cainan dawn are both excellent french black metal too.

And if you extend it to the Quebecois scene there's a good few more, particularly Forteresse.

edit: The new Drudkh album is very good. It's nothing new, but it does what it does well.
    Last edited by Hammerheart; 23rd February 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Hey all, my band and I recently finished recording a song, let me know what you think? Thanks =)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o5ijr155w61oixw

You may or may not like the vocalist much, but trust me when I say there is literally no one else I know even close to his standard who sings metal where I live (I know a couple of screamy/growly vocalists but they wouldn't really fit the song lol)

Oh, forgot to mention. I'm the guitarist.
    Last edited by Annhialator Zero; 26th February 2012 at 2:02 AM.
    Comp has died, borrowing brother's to edit this, won't be on much if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost Nova View Post
    YOU CANNOT GRASP THE TRUE FORM OF FROST NOVA'S EGO!
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Bustathedog View Post
    Anolator

I listen to a lot of Metal. My dad used to play Metallica tapes in the car ever since I was born. It kind of stuck with me. I do listen to some Alt though, don't hate, but I have been obsessed with My Chemical Romance since I was twelve. Metal has stuck with me always. I do like bands like Tribulation and Arch Enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Annhialator Zero View Post
    Hey all, my band and I recently finished recording a song, let me know what you think? Thanks =)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o5ijr155w61oixw

You may or may not like the vocalist much, but trust me when I say there is literally no one else I know even close to his standard who sings metal where I live (I know a couple of screamy/growly vocalists but they wouldn't really fit the song lol)

Oh, forgot to mention. I'm the guitarist.
    Like the orchestral intro, though it perhaps goes on a little too long, and doesn't really flow into the acoustic arpeggio, it would perhaps work better as a separate track on a proper album or ep. Some nice playing on the intro, it has a nice feel to it. When the distorted guitar kicks in, it's good, but definitely needs a lot of work with the production, sounds very flat and thin, and bit overly distorted, but not in a good way. The drum production also leaves a lot to be desired. I know you said the vocalist is a case of any port in a storm, but without sounding great, he doesn't sound like he's a singer. He's also a bit out of tune at times, but not completely awful.
    What are you using for drums? is it a propper recording or a vst or plugin? Cause your snare doesn't sound great, infact the whole drum mix sounds like you've recorded it and exported it at a really low bit rate mp3. You solo sounds nice, but I would say the guitar is a bit high in the mix, the chanty bit is pretty nice. I think there's also a lack of energy to it though, it feels a bit lethargic for want of a better word. I'm sure with a proper recording or at least more professional recording that would be solved. I like the harmonised guitars too, they sound nice.
    I think you have definite potential there, but I think you need to trim the fat in places, put a bit more thought into your drums as it seemed vary rare that they did anything other than that slow basic pattern. And like I say work on production as it makes all the difference.

Hope that was of some use to you.

here's a new project I've been working on
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mi2mfgyoyairqoh

It's only a short snippet and it's not metal, and there's a lot of work needs doing, especially on the drums which I'm going to eq, and put some sub bass and white noise on the bass and snare. I think it needs more delay, reverb and a bit of chorus too. But other than that, it's a good indication of where I'm going with it.

Currently listening to Five Finger Death Punch's Ashes. <3 it
    Black FC: 0905-8396-1651
    Black 2 FC: 0734-2563-1464

LOOKING FOR THE FOLLOWING POKEMON:
    *UNTRAINED*

HAVE THE FOLLOWING FOR TRADE:
    Adamant + Jolly / Naďve / Naďve + Modest

LEGENDS:
    G1:
    G2:
    G3:
    G4:
    G5:

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster44 View Post
    Currently listening to Five Finger Death Punch's Ashes. <3 it
    Ah, five finger death punch. An amazing band in my own opinion. Ashes is such a great song.
    Gone foREVer. Goodbye.

DeviantART | Twitter | YouTube

Sincerely thanks for the critique, I did the producing myself and any tips are sincerely useful.

The problem with the software I used is that you can't edit the volumes of individual sections, you can only edit the entire track's volume. So if I raised the volume of the guitar in the intro, it would raise the volume for the rest of the song and ruin the balance. There is a workaround, by splitting the tracks out, but it's already at 18 tracks and I'm not sure how much more the software will let me use. I'll try though anyway, thanks.

Drums were literally just using a Mac's built-in mic to record my brother's kit, which unfortunately means you lose a lot of the subtleties =/

The ending's gonna have more vocal harmonies once a couple of my friends get free (girls, so they can sing the higher parts) but they've been busy recently. Hopefully that should pad it out a bit and make it sound less "lethargic." And I get what you mean about that, it sounded really energetic in practice but it didn't transfer to the recording as well, probably too many repeats =/ I might trim it down a bit once we get the other vocalists in.

Thanks very much for all the critiques, I'll have a go at fixing up the volume balances and stuff, but the general low quality of the recording can't really be helped as I simply don't have the money to get equipment much better than what I already have (although getting proper drum mics is tempting).

Gave your thing a listen, I can see what you mean about the drums needing a bit of editing, but I can definitely see where everything's going. It's a fairly cool chord progression and quite energetic, have you thought about putting a melodic part over the top of it, or at least bringing one in at a later point, or are you leaving that for the vocals?

Edit: Just realised the problem with the distorted intro part, the distorted guitars are doubling up in the rest of the song, which is what makes them thick and heavy and all that, whereas in the intro they're playing separate parts, which leaves them kinda weak and thin. Not entirely sure how to correct that without just doubling them, which would leave them dominating far too much =/
    Last edited by Annhialator Zero; 26th February 2012 at 10:34 PM.
    Anolator

Quote Originally Posted by Annhialator Zero View Post
    Sincerely thanks for the critique, I did the producing myself and any tips are sincerely useful.

The problem with the software I used is that you can't edit the volumes of individual sections, you can only edit the entire track's volume. So if I raised the volume of the guitar in the intro, it would raise the volume for the rest of the song and ruin the balance. There is a workaround, by splitting the tracks out, but it's already at 18 tracks and I'm not sure how much more the software will let me use. I'll try though anyway, thanks.

Drums were literally just using a Mac's built-in mic to record my brother's kit, which unfortunately means you lose a lot of the subtleties =/

The ending's gonna have more vocal harmonies once a couple of my friends get free (girls, so they can sing the higher parts) but they've been busy recently. Hopefully that should pad it out a bit and make it sound less "lethargic." And I get what you mean about that, it sounded really energetic in practice but it didn't transfer to the recording as well, probably too many repeats =/ I might trim it down a bit once we get the other vocalists in.

Thanks very much for all the critiques, I'll have a go at fixing up the volume balances and stuff, but the general low quality of the recording can't really be helped as I simply don't have the money to get equipment much better than what I already have (although getting proper drum mics is tempting).

Gave your thing a listen, I can see what you mean about the drums needing a bit of editing, but I can definitely see where everything's going. It's a fairly cool chord progression and quite energetic, have you thought about putting a melodic part over the top of it, or at least bringing one in at a later point, or are you leaving that for the vocals?

Edit: Just realised the problem with the distorted intro part, the distorted guitars are doubling up in the rest of the song, which is what makes them thick and heavy and all that, whereas in the intro they're playing separate parts, which leaves them kinda weak and thin. Not entirely sure how to correct that without just doubling them, which would leave them dominating far too much =/
    What software are you using out of interest?

Fair enough with the drums. It might sound an obvious thing to say but a little bit of money spent on a microphone will make a world of difference.

DO you have panning options? You could always double the track and pan hard left or right so your not getting the 6db boost through the doubling of the waveform. And then it's not all focused in one place, and gives more width in the stereo field. I'm not sure thats what I want to say, but that's the only way I can think to word it.

I was thinking I might put a droney sort of guitar line over the top of mine. Ideally with an e-bow, but given I don't have one, I guess just slow playing lol
    Cheers for the positive words though.

Yeah I have panning options. That would actually work pretty well, thanks for the idea! All of the doubled parts are panned 30% left and right so that there's a bit more width but not so much that it just becomes weak as hell.

I'll post the finished version when it's done (which won't be for a while as I cba reposting it just for a couple of mixing changes, I'll wait til I have the other vocalists so I can just post the finished version).

I'm using a baby version of pro-tools that came with the M-Audio recorder I bought. They were about Ł80 combined but it's pretty good quality for the price as you can probably tell.

Actually yeah, a droney guitar line would work pretty well I think. Octaves give a decent droney sort of effect if you mess around with them and play slowly of course (that's octaves played by one guitar, not harmonised)
    Last edited by Annhialator Zero; 26th February 2012 at 11:33 PM.
    Anolator

you should have volume options in the automation lanes of each track. where you have the box with the track name down the left hand sign of your edit window, there should be a little arrow in the bottom left corner which should open up a new smaller track underneath it with a line in it, which you can use the drawer tool to draw in automation. I don't know if your version has all those features, but I'm sure if you googled your edition of pro tools plus volume automation you should get something.

I'm just wary of having too many layers in the track. it currently has 2 bass synth track, a synth pad, a track of slow bar chords, a track with chuggy power chords, and the 3 separate guitar lines playing a tremolo with a notes from the chord harmonized. But I guess it's more about texture than the instrument, so I shouldn't really worry about it.

Thanks a lot, I'll have a look and see if I can find that. It would definitely help reduce the number of tracks I've had to use.

It's pretty well layered, so don't worry about having too much, just make sure that the texture's absolutely right. As long as it all sounds smooth together then you should be fine.
    Anolator

I'm simply astounded that the same band that Made Kill Em All & ...And Justice For All where part of that album with Lou Reed named Lulu. I like them, but they've been hit and miss for me.

Not so long ago, I was listening to a French band called Demon Eyes. They weren't that bad, I quite liked Rites of Chaos.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Speaking of French bands, Gojira is pretty good. Vacuity is probably my favorite song by them.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Gholy View Post
    I'm simply astounded that the same band that Made Kill Em All & ...And Justice For All where part of that album with Lou Reed named Lulu. I like them, but they've been hit and miss for me.
    Let's be honest though, it wasn't a 'metallica album'. it was a fusion of the two artists styles that just didn't really work.

i have just downloaded all of gojira's stuff, and i was planning to see them on saturday but they ended up clashing with another act :U
    life is
    a game

From Mars To Sirius is easily their best album, then The Way of All Flesh, although I happen to like Terra Incognita quite a bit as well.

i think it's more close between from mars to sirius and the way of all flesh. i love ouroborus and yama's messengers though so i may be biased. and i always feel like i've missed a joke with terra incognita.

Whatup dudes! Hey, do any of you guys listen to metalcore? I know most "real metal" fans despise the stuff, but personally metalcore is one of my favorite genres and I'm a gigantic fan. For some reason I really don't like any metal without the "core," not really sure why.
    THIS IS WHY I LEFT THIS PLACE FOR LIKE 3 YEARS.

http://psiumbreon.livejournal.com/82372.html

seriously.

Page 299 of 362 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349 ... LastLast