The metal will live on
    Punk-Rock tried to kill the metal
    But they failed, as they were smite to the ground
    New-wave tried to kill the metal
    But they failed, as they were stricken down to the ground
    Grunge tried to kill the metal Ha,hahahahaha
    They failed, as they were thrown to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post

Sorry Imperial Dragon, haven't heard of Hellhammer, though I do like that you know Coldseed, they are good.

Slayer are close to metal, still a little soft for my taste, personally, that stuff is what I consider "hard rock." Also, I consider slipknot to be pop rock, considering their immense popularity with metalhead posers who actually have never heard real metal.

Man you should check out Hellhammer, they're actually the original version of the band we now know as Celtic Frost.

To be fair, I'd say Slayer are straight up heavy metal, one of the bands commonly known for fusing thrash elements with the heavier death metal influenced instrumental. Pop rock is also a bit too much of an extreme label for Slipknot too, considering what bands actually pass as pop rock, Slipknot were part of that movement that created the mini mosher generation, so I would have thought nu-metal would be a better description. No offence obviously dude, just throwing in my opinion lol

And to whoever mentioned Cynic - nice choice mate. I hear they're apparently recording a new album, after a break of what, 15 years?

Speaking of expanding musical tastes... anyone here into punk stuff, such as Anti Flag or The Exploited?

Quote Originally Posted by HellKorn
    That's pretty much a given, but I think there's a line to be drawn between stuff that people are actively seeking out because they are genuinely interested in expanding their tastes and those that are seeking it just to be tr00 m3tl fans.

It's also a bit depressing when folks simply get to a band that's outside the norms in some way and don't go further. When I discovered Pink Floyd, Tool, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead I wasn't satisfied by returning back to heavy/thrash/whatever metal there was. This stuff was different. It had elements that I wasn't accustomed to, and I liked it. So I sought out more material that was akin to them yet not, musicians that were as good if not better than those bands.
    A lot of that has to do with the metal community though. There's a lot of elitist people who listen exclusively to bands that no one else has ever heard of, which pressures contemporary listeners to get involved in these acts or else they aren't "zomg kvlt".

You know, I was the same exact way when I first heard Bathory's later works. "Mother Earth, Father Thunder" moved me spiritually and Quorthon was one of the most talented men in Metal. I've tried venturing into other "Viking" or "Folk" metal bands, but none can match Quorthon's beauty.

Metal is far from SERIOUS BUSINESS, Black Metal in particular. It's more or less a walking joke, which doesn't make the music bad by any means, but you have to take the second generation with a grain of salt which is why I push aside those bands. The days have changed quite a bit since the times that Euronymous called the shots, the days when Marduk and and Immortal were gods.

Quote Originally Posted by IMPERIAL_DRAGON
    Speaking of expanding musical tastes... anyone here into punk stuff, such as Anti Flag or The Exploited?
    I usually stick to the early Hardcore movement. Bad Brains, Black Flag, etc. I haven't listened to Anti Flag or The Exploited yet though, that's on my list of things to do.
    Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 8th March 2008 at 1:51 AM.

♪♪ You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. ♪♪
    ♪♪ My Friend Code: 3265 3790 8847 ♪♪
    ♪♪ I've got to admit it's getting better. It's a little better all the time. ♪♪

I'm a metal head...
    more importantly I'm a Manowarrior, you know, the 'tr00' metal heads that no one dares to take seriously because we may stab you with our mighty viking steel

In all seriousness though I tend to gravitate around power and symphonic metal like Blind Guardian and Rhapsody although some folk metal works its way in too such as Turisas and Korpiklaani.

And more recently the awesome ALESTORM. Pirate metal lyrics are probably the most fun you will ever get out of an audio-system.

When I come back from a mighty quest
    I have no need for sleep or rest
    I head to a tavern for a drink
    And get so drunk I cannot think
    A wench by my side and a jug of mead
    These are the things that I most need
    So I sit back and sing this song
    And drink and party all night long

Hey! Hey!
    I want more wenches
    Hey! Hey!
    More wenches and mead
    Hey! Hey!
    I want more wenches
    Lots of wenches is what I need

You're my wife now!

Angus Young of AC/DC once said that he felt insulted that magazines called AC/DC "metal"

can anybody understand this?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Lathander View Post
    Angus Young of AC/DC once said that he felt insulted that magazines called AC/DC "metal"

can anybody understand this?

That's probably why. Leather chaps aside, Angus Young is completely right. AC/DC is very different from Metal, and while I wouldn't be offended if someone called my music "met0l", I can see where he's coming from because AC/DC, while similar to Metal, isn't Metal by a long shot.

Long live Bon Scott.

^^ Nah, AC/DC is a kind of screamy insane rock that doesn't quite fall under a single classification.

So, what are your favorite metal branches?

I'll pretty much listen to any as long as it appeals me, but I usually prefer Heavy, Progressive, Symphonic and Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarofl View Post

I'll pretty much listen to any as long as it appeals me, but I usually prefer Heavy, Progressive, Symphonic and Black.
    I like the Heavy, Symphonic, Death, and Nu branches of metal. I'll sometimes listen to Speed Metal, but many of the more famous of the bands under that branch don't have the best vocals. I'm not saying that they aren't all good, but some of the ones I have listened to aren't good vocal-wise.

Symphonic puts a good edge on metal, in my opinion. One of my favorites, Dark Tranquility, has great Symphonic Metal music. That's one of the things that sets them apart from other bands; it has the usual metal tone, but has a melodic tone in there as well. Listen to "Terminus: Where Death Is Most Alive", and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SlipKnoT View Post
    Slayer, Metallica (early), Pantera, Killswitch Engage, System of a Down (Alternative Metal, if it counts), Dethklok, Nightwish, Megadeth, Opeth, Tool (partially metal), In Flames, Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, Sepultura (Earlier), Shadows Fall, and I could keep going but I'm rather lazy. I'm also keeping myself from saying "Slipknot", because I know I'm pretty much alone in considering them metal.

Speaking of metal, I could really use the names of a few good Metalcore/Groove Metal/Thrash Metal bands, I'd like to make my taste a little more diverse.
    chimaira, devil driver, trivium. Check em out
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind~ Gandi?

currently sr for shiny modest

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cain Nightroad View Post
    I like the Heavy, Symphonic, Death, and Nu branches of metal.
    One problem, Nu-metal isn't metal.

And I don't really get the hype behind Black Metal, seeing as I have yet to hear a Black Metal song I can really get into. Anyone care to suggest one?
    Last edited by SlipKnoT; 8th March 2008 at 3:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manaphy72 View Post
    when i was younger like 5 i thought babies were made by drinking a lot of milk and saying i want a baby

And I don't really get the hype behind Black Metal, seeing as I have yet to hear a Black Metal song I can really get into. Anyone care to name one?
    Dimmu Borgir - Progenies of the great Apocalypse

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. ~ Albert Einstein

And I don't really get the hype behind Black Metal, seeing as I have yet to hear a Black Metal song I can really get into. Anyone care to suggest one?
    Black's appeal mainly comes from the "true" (not that LeVay Neopaganism) Satanism stance of some of the large names in Black Metal. Here are a few good ones..

Mayhem - Pagan Fears
    Mayhem - Deathcrush
    Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn.. When We Are Gathered
    Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
    Immortal - Tyrants
    Most of Gorgoroth's "Antichrist" album is also good to start with..

Quote Originally Posted by zack_l_astro
    Zack, I wouldn't go as far as to consider Dimmu "Black Metal". They're a talented band, but they've gotten far away from their Black roots. Here's one of Immortal's best songs. They're one of the few bands willing to push the genre outside of it's stereotypes, combining German Thrash with the original Black Metal style. Abbath is god, oh yes, he is god. See the difference?
    Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 8th March 2008 at 3:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zack_l_astro View Post
    Dimmu isn't that good of a band. Although some of the music alone is decent, the vocals are horrifying. In my opinion, Death Metal would be better to get into than Black Metal if you prefer the metal growling. Many Black Metal bands I have heard use fast vocals and swift music, but I might be a bit biased, as I'm not that much of a fan of Black Metal.

for a great thrash metal band, check out Trivium.

Trivium - Dying in your arms
    Trivium - Like light to the flies
    Trivium - Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr

those are just a few songs, I encourage you to check em out if youre looking for a thrash metal band.

btw, heres an "off topic question" do you guys play instruments? if so what songs could you play?

me I was a guitarist, I could play almost anything.. I could play devil driver - end of the line
    a few songs with trivium.
    also some with metallica
    and deftones.

Dimmu isn't that good of a band. Although some of the music alone is decent, the vocals are horrifying. In my opinion, Death Metal would be better to get into than Black Metal if you prefer the metal growling. Many Black Metal bands I have heard use fast vocals and swift music, but I might be a bit biased, as I'm not that much of a fan of Black Metal.
    Black's vocals provide more of a variety outside of the garden variety growls of Death Metal. I'm also biased against the lot of Death Metal for the same reasons, I find the Cookie Monster vocals unappealing in most cases, although when done correctly, it creates a wonderful song.

Ugobama is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm a metalhead. But more of the Hellyeah, Godsmack, and Metallica kind. Not the Slipknot kind.

Symphonic puts a good edge on metal, in my opinion. One of my favorites, Dark Tranquility, has great Symphonic Metal music.
    I love Dark Tranquility, but I think the genre they're in is called 'melodic death' (see EToS, In Flames, Amorphis), not symphonic (see Therion, Kamelot, Emperor).

As for a couple of recommended black metal songs (from all it's subgenres),

Lux Occulta - The Birth Of The Race
    Immortal - Where Dark and Light don't Differ
    Satyricon - Mother North
    Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
    Limbonic Art - Pits of the Cold Beyond
    Summoning - Like Some Snow-white Marble Eyes

I love Dark Tranquility, but I think the genre they're in is called 'melodic death' (see EToS, In Flames, Amorphis), not symphonic (see Therion, Kamelot, Emperor).

As for a couple of recommended black metal songs (from all it's subgenres),

Lux Occulta - The Birth Of The Race
    Immortal - Where Dark and Light don't Differ
    Satyricon - Mother North
    Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
    Summoning - Like Some Snow-white Marble Eyes

I've heard a few of those, and I'll check out some of the others. I really like the new aspect "melodic death" has on metal, so I'll definitely try to find more bands that use that branch of metal.

I really like the new aspect "melodic death" has on metal, so I'll definitely try to find more bands that use that branch of metal.
    You can check for a start several of those here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarofl
    Limbonic Art really isn't Black in my eyes. They're far too symphonic to be considered to even be "metal", but that's just me.

I share the "any as long as it appeals to me" aspect.

I tend to listen to more Heavy, Thrash and Death though.

With regard to nu metal.. Helmet have a lot to answer for, even if they're ****ing brilliant their style spawned that irritating metal by numbers sound.

Edit: The only time trivium were good was as a speed metal band - i.e. before they decided to try and copy Metallica.
    Last edited by .TraX.; 8th March 2008 at 10:07 AM.
    .TraX. - The sleepy one.

I like metal. Not a fan of Black and Death Metal though. I like power metal. Like Manowar and Dragon Force to name some popular ones.

chimaira, devil driver, trivium. Check em out
    No, all nu-metal/metalcore - not metal . Trivium are definitely not thrash metal.

Alestorm are indeed awesome, though!

When I come back from a mighty quest I have no need for sleep or rest
    I head to a tavern for a drink and get so drunk I cannot think
    A wench by my side and a jug of mead, these are the things that I most need
    So I sit back and sing this song and drink and party all night long!
    Hey! Hey! I want more wenches! Hey! Hey! More wenches and mead!
    Hey! Hey! I want more wenches! Lots of wenches is what I need!
    As for recommending black metal.. Although Dimmu Borgir aren't really black metal, and aren't actually that good - it's where I started off. I'd recommend
    Emperor as a good starting point for black metal if you like the symphonic elements.

On a side-note, Kiuas anyone? Not quite sure what you'd class them as..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFM9UN7npM

This signature is temporary, until I can be bothered to spend a few hours shading a new one pixel by pixel in Paint.

for a great thrash metal band, check out Trivium.

Trivium - Dying in your arms
    Trivium - Like light to the flies
    Trivium - Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr

those are just a few songs, I encourage you to check em out if youre looking for a thrash metal band.
    I officially hate you.

Trivium is a metalcore piece of shit, and should not be used in the same sentence as 'thrash metal' unless the word 'not' is beside it.

1) Trivium is thrash metal = incorrect
    2) Trivium are not thrash metal, and suck imaginary Łar$ Ulrich's balls = correct.

Quote Originally Posted by some random mallcore kiddie who thinks he's a metalhead, but is just a silly poser, who should go and drown in a puddle for my lulz, and for the sake of humanity.
    I'm a metalhead. But more of the Hellyeah, Godsmack, and Metallica kind. Not the Slipknot kind.
    nononononononono.

Godsmack = nu-'metal' ***gotry.

Hellyeah = epic failure

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot
    And I don't really get the hype behind Black Metal, seeing as I have yet to hear a Black Metal song I can really get into. Anyone care to name one?
    Immortal - At the Heart of Winter album. Very thrashy piece of black metal.

Burzum - Feeble Screams From Forests Within is pretty good.

1349 - Sculptor of Flesh is gdgd

Emperor - Into the Infinity of Thought is my favourite bm song, though. heavy as ****, with beautiful synths laced in.

dimmu borgir are stupid wank-offs of emperor, and should never be listened too.

THIS POST HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

AMP Energy Drink

SEEING AS I'M ALL JACKED UP ON IT
    Last edited by DragonDance; 8th March 2008 at 12:42 PM.

Page 3 of 363 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast