Page 321 of 362 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 9050

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale View Post
    I'm new. There's a metal thread here. I already feel at home.

Anyway, I've been looking for more slow metal recently. I took a liking to Sunn O))), but there's times when I want something that's faster than drone. I'm big on Type O Negative, Acid Bath, Texas Hippie Coalition, Crowbar, Buzzov-en and the sort, so any recommendations on stoner/doom/sludge would be appreciated.

Also: Everyone should go listen to Ghost. Right now. Do it.
    seriously why so many people from maine.

stoner/doom/sludge is a good selection of genres. i'll chuck out some listing as well:

orange goblin
    isis
    pallbearer
    pilgrim
    mournful congregation
    uncle acid and the deadbeats
    sons of otis
    windhand
    yob
    church of misery
    high on fire
    wo fat

Stupid question, here: While I like High On Fire, I keep seeing them lumped into this category, but they don't really seem to fit in to me? Much too fast - atleast the stuff I've heard. Snakes For The Divine, Devilution and whatnot. I don't really want to call them thrash, but it's like a thrashy sludge, maybe?
    No man can hold what the darkness can sew,
    Gonna leave an ugly skull when you go.

they are some sort of thrashy stonery sludge. their debut is pretty much straight stoner though.

It's probably something to do with Matt Pike being in Sleep before High on FIre

i was trying to avoid recommending anything too far outside the stoner/sludge spectrum of doom, but **** it, here's a few more on top of my original list since everyone's recommending him epic and funeral ****:

Reverend Bizarre
    Esoteric
    Cirith Ungol
    Trouble
    The River
    Sons of Otis

also seconding Warning and Church of Misery.

also, at the list of bands Pale posted before: i know of about half of those, haven't seen people talk about Seventh Void in a long time. i thought their debut was good if unspectacular and that it got most of its hype based around that it had members of Type O Negative.
    Last edited by Evilyn; 20th June 2012 at 8:46 PM.

There's a new band called Silent Season and they rock I love the way they sound.
    I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

Hey, Twinkie! >D

My Heart Gold Team

I am now a brony. This makes me 20% cooler.

My Pearl Team

Quote Originally Posted by Evilyn View Post
    also, at the list of bands Pale posted before: i know of about half of those, haven't seen people talk about Seventh Void in a long time. i thought they're debut was good if unspectacular and that it got most of its hype based around that it had members of Type O Negative.
    I adore Seventh Void, personally. They sound to me like if Soundgarden had went more metal in their efforts - I've also believe Kenny is the unsung hero of Type O Negative. His backing vocals and guitar work made that band just as much as Peter's (R.I.P.) vocals and bass.

to be honest, i never got much into Type O in the first place, aside from Slow, Deep And Hard, and a couple songs here and there on their later stuff.

Pete's old thrash band Carnivore is one of my all time favourites, though.

I'm new. There's a metal thread here. I already feel at home.

Anyway, I've been looking for more slow metal recently. I took a liking to Sunn O))), but there's times when I want something that's faster than drone. I'm big on Type O Negative, Acid Bath, Texas Hippie Coalition, Crowbar, Buzzov-en and the sort, so any recommendations on stoner/doom/sludge would be appreciated.

Also: Everyone should go listen to Ghost. Right now. Do it.
    i haven't listened to any of these besides sunn o))) but you should definitely listen to boris. they do sludge, stoner and doom + drone and they even did a collab album with sunn o))) called altar

http://youtu.be/FjMpwD8N03k

also this band from my town i saw live are pretty good i think, they have a cool 2-bass setup and do some droney sludge

http://youtu.be/aW4JF0eQN7s
    life is
    a game

I have a Boris album somewhere I should listen to. Until then, I've listened to:
    Circus Maximus' Nine -- this was very good. Some of the songs are worth returning to, some are boring, but overall very solid.
    Killing Joke's MCMXII -- not as good, probably actually below average! The trouble is the guy has a very good clean voice and they do slower, quieter, less chaotic soungs amazingly well -- yet they're comparatively unwilling to indulge that. "In Cythera" is good, as is "Primobile." The others just have a few nice parts here and there but are otherwise mediocre.

I'll give Fire Make Thunder a listen in a bit.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Evilyn View Post
    to be honest, i never got much into Type O in the first place, aside from Slow, Deep And Hard, and a couple songs here and there on their later stuff.

Pete's old thrash band Carnivore is one of my all time favourites, though.
    Carnivore is good stuff. Male Supremacy is a personal favorite of mine.

does opeth count as a metal band? Ive heard them been classed as prog rock instead?

[IMG]http://i44.*******.com/2a8i3pl.png[/IMG]
    Credit to mew for the banner!

I'd say so, though they have a couple of none metal albums. Some metal purists will argue the toss that they are a progressive rock band with a metal aesthetic. But I have no qualm with them being considered metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    I'd say so, though they have a couple of none metal albums. Some metal purists will argue the toss that they are a progressive rock band with a metal aesthetic. But I have no qualm with them being considered metal.
    I'd say that Opeth is a metal band every day of the week. They've made 10 albums and only two of them (Damnation and Heritage) lacks the metal-sound.

That's people's point, it's just the sound. The argument is that compositionally it's just progressive rock, (and in a lot of people's eyes not particularly good progressive rock). It's just the use of distortion, harsh vocals and other aesthetic elements of metal that give people the illusion that it's metal, when fundamentally it isn't. Whilst I don't 100% agree, I can certainly see where they are coming from.

actually pale, add horn of the rhino to my list as well. quite good sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by palingensia View Post
    actually pale, add horn of the rhino to my list as well. quite good sludge.
    Mmm. Very nice.

Poll: If someone asked you for the heaviest song you have in your library, what's the first thing to come to mind? Mine is this.

maybe the "hidden track" in this? in the wilderness is probably quite up there though.

For Heavy Metal We Will Die \m/\m/ Its really Weird To See Metalheads Play Pokemon

Black ID
    0175 - 7289 - 0552
    PPM

First Iranian Pokemon Group
    \m/ I'll DIE FOR METAL \m/
    The Real Fire

Quote Originally Posted by palingensia View Post
    maybe the "hidden track" in this? in the wilderness is probably quite up there though.
    Sounded more like noise than actual heaviness to me, but it sounded distorted as ****.

i think it's all of the other tracks of the album smashed together, and it ****s with my head each time i listen to it.

Hah. Reminds me of a music video I saw once, where someone had every Linkin Park song off their first CD playing at the same time, with around 7 different layers of DBZ footage.

Mmm. Very nice.

Poll: If someone asked you for the heaviest song you have in your library, what's the first thing to come to mind? Mine is this.
    Possibly something like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7M86NWVNPk

or this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yedkKccl2wc

but for different reasons

Dragged Into Sunlight is an excellent choice.

i'd put my money on this, probably.

Hah. Reminds me of a music video I saw once, where someone had every Linkin Park song off their first CD playing at the same time, with around 7 different layers of DBZ footage.
    can i have a link to this? sounds awesome lol.

also i am falling in love with pallbearer, jesus this stuff is so good.

Page 321 of 362 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331 ... LastLast