Page 352 of 364 FirstFirst ... 252302342348349350351352353354355356362 ... LastLast
Results 8,776 to 8,800 of 9077

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

I'm not a metalcore fan by any means, but I'm finding myself really liking the new As I Lay Dying album for some reason.

Track from Solstice's upcoming "Death's Crown Is Victory" mini LP coming out next month digitally and the month after physically from what I gather.
    I've already heard the track as they played it live when I saw them in 2011, but it's nice to hear it recorded.

That new Dream Theater album came out today. It's about what you'd expect, if maybe a little better. "The Enemy Inside" is probably the only song like it on the album, at least, in terms of general sound -- the rest is still basically Dream Theater. "The Looking Glass" borrows heavily from Rush songs for its sound in some areas. The 22-minute finisher seems a little disjointed. "Along for the Ride" is kinda forgettable, but I understand why it would be released as a single.

In all: I think I was way more excited for this album than I should have been.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I really don't have any desire to listen to it out of anything other than curiosity. But given I've been in a more shoegazy mood this last fortnight, It's like the complete opposite of what I've been in the mood for, so I haven't bothered.

Samples from the soon out Atlantean Kodex album

sounds like it's going to be massive.

Krimh's (ex-decapitated drummer) solo project came out a few weeks ago. It's a one man project and it's pretty sweet groovey instrumental prog. it's worth checking out
    here's his bandcamp www.krimh.bandcamp.com

saw tesseract / scale the summit / anciients the other day.
    all bands blew me away especially tesseract who surprised me. I actually wasn't too big a fan of their new style and altered state but boy were they
    great live especially their vocalist!

I thought the new DT-album was just mediocre as hell. Not their worst album, but there was nothing interesting going on, and it wouldn't even make my top80 albums of 2013 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I thought the new DT-album was just mediocre as hell. Not their worst album, but there was nothing interesting going on, and it wouldn't even make my top80 albums of 2013 so far.
    oh my god this. everyone is beating off over it but i thought it was 100% boring start to finish i hate how they either went full \m/ RUUURUURGH MEHTUL\m/ or ridiculously soft. i miss the good balance that albums like SFAM and SDOIT had
    life is
    a game

I've kinda given up on DT at this point, I haven't liked an album of theirs since SDOIT.

Overall I'm really happy with this year musically so far, a lot of fantastic releases.

The Mighty Solstice are back, you all need to hear this.

http://solstice-englander.bandcamp.c...own-is-victory

I'll be honest on the new Dream Theater album -- I liked it when I first heard it, but now, a few weeks later, I can't remember a single song off it except for "The Enemy Inside." Ehhh.

Monster Magnet's Last Patrol was pretty good, though. I have Motorhead's Aftershock to listen to still, but do I have to? Motorhead definitely have a consistent level of quality to their albums.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Over the last few days I can't stop listening to the new Atlantean Kodex. It's so good, and so much better than the Golden Bough. I find it's a lot more immediately memorable, and the vocals are more powerful, and more melodic. Definately going to be in my top 10 come the end of the year I think.

Just listened to the new Nails album, and whilst it's more hardcore than metal, or entombed-core as seems to the the phrase used these days, I really liked it a lot. I've got the new Convulse on now which seems pretty good. It doesn't feel new, which I think is a good thing.

Then I've got albums from Falkenbach, Everlasting, and Monolithe lined up. Quite a mixed day to say the least haha.

Though there is some lighter stuff I like, pretty much the only thing I listen too is heavy metal. Mostly black, death/melo death, and a little power metal. My two favorite bands are Kalmah and Disarmonia Mundi. Just got the new Kalmah album around a month ago, and though there's some unusual parts to it, I'm loving it a lot.

A few of the others I like:

Mystic Prophecy; Shadows fall; Ouroboros; Arch Enemy; Scar Symmetry;
    Last edited by fractur65; 5th November 2013 at 3:00 AM.

Giving the thread a well deserved bump with the latest Alcest single. I love it.

Eh I can't get into it at all. Too light for my tastes, and this is from someone who loves what Alcest has done in the past. Anyway, seeing how close to the end of the year we are, anyone else have their top 10 lists ready yet? I'm pretty sure Helloween's in there somewhere, Straight out of Hell was a joyous romp, and it deserves to be up there.
    BLAH

I could probably put together a top ten, but with Germ, Beastmilk and Ceremony all releasing albums in December I don't want to jump the gun. But at the moment a top ten probably looks like.

Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
    Black Hearted Brother - Stars Are Our Home
    Csejthe - Réminiscence
    Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll
    Fanisk - Insularum
    LowCityRain - LowCityRain
    Sonnenbrand - В осознании превосходства
    Soror Dolorosa - No More Heroes
    Stargazer Lillies - We Are The Dreamers
    Wędrujący Wiatr - Tam, gdzie Miesiąc opłakuje Świt

The ones in bold are the metal albums.

Serious question, where the hell do I find a cohesive list of releases by year? Metallum just does genre/country, but I want a year by year list. Neither does metal storm. Never mind, just filtered the releases on metal storm and found one! Now to do some research....
    Last edited by mitchman_93; 3rd December 2013 at 5:48 PM.
    BLAH

For anyone who likes their heavy/speed metal, check out Stallion.

And for anyone who likes Anathema circa Judgement, but also appreciates a bit of black metal, check out Vaura
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8xNxetdvhM

My favourite 2013 Metal release has to be Heart Of Oak by Anciients. I recommend it to Mastodon or Stoner fans in general.

It's that time of year, come on guys, top tens? We've have a bit of a discussion drought of late.

Only a few of my favorite metal bands released an album this year. More of them came last year.

Dillinger Escape Plan's "One of Us is the Killer"
    Defeater's "Letters Home"
    Protest the Hero's "Volition"
    Stay from the Path's "Anonymous"

Aside, Defeater's 2011 LP Empty Days & Sleepless Nights is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I realise it's at 97, so it's hardly like your praising it from the high heavens, but I'm one of those who didn't think much of the M83 Oblivion soundtrack. There were a couple of tracks towards the end that worked with the visuals, but beyond that, I found it very tame, both for a soundtrack, and given the past output of M83.

I was also a bit hit and miss about the Only God Forgives soundtrack. I adore Cliff Martinez, I did a presentation on him at uni, and his soundtrack for Solaris is one of my favourite soundtracks despite not liking the film, but OGF didn't really click. Again, some worked with a visual counterpart, but a lot of the synthy stuff using what sounded like trillian and omnisphere just felt a bit lazy. Much prefered his contributions to the Spring Breakers soundtrack from this year too.

I still don't think much of Deafheaven.

I also think MBV is over rated, Ceremony, Stargazer Lilies, Flyying Colours, The Cherry Wave, and arguably Seirom (though very hard to pin a sound to them, it's certianly not traditionally shoegaze) all put out better shoegaze albums/EP's this year

Nice to see Vaura, Savages, The World is a Beautiful Place and I am Not Afraid to Die, and Nails in there though.

Page 352 of 364 FirstFirst ... 252302342348349350351352353354355356362 ... LastLast