Page 361 of 364 FirstFirst ... 261311351357358359360361362363364 LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,025 of 9077

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

Nice. It's a cracking genre. But one that I find you don't need an awful lot to be satisfied. What bands are you liking, and have you checked out the new Ea album from this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    Nice. It's a cracking genre. But one that I find you don't need an awful lot to be satisfied. What bands are you liking, and have you checked out the new Ea album from this year?
    Not yet. For now it's not like entire albums, I'm just checking a few songs one by one, hopefully I'll develop a full affinity in time. It's like, I click on a related video on youtube and "pop! another awesome song." One entire album I can name is Clouds' "Doliu", it hits real hard on your heart, well it did on mine, I dare say it's probably the best album yet this year.

The songs I've been checking out are Mournful Congregation's "The June Frost", Remembrance of the Transcending Moon", Ahab's "Redemption Lost", Anlipnes "Coffin" and Dream After Death's "Genesis".
    Last edited by pwnswitchclik; 13th July 2014 at 12:20 AM.
    Nickname: Johnny
    3DS Code: 2208 - 6426 - 2784
    Friend Safari - Meditite, Throh and Riolu

Flawless/Near-flawless/normal shinies for trade (RNGed in Gen V, with the exception of Skitty):2x2x 2x 2x

Intended Omega Ruby Team:

Worship's discog is my favourite thing out of funeral doom.

To be fair the new Ea album is just one song, albeit a single 49 minute song :P

You should really check out some stuff from Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet, and Shape of Despair's Shades Of...

As for clouds I'd not come across them before, but I'll give them a go as they look interesting.

Probably most bands I will list are already listed elsewhere in this thread, it's over 300 pages, so I was too lazy to look at all replies, lol! Anywho lets begin......
    Cradle Of Filth, Tiamat, Septic Flesh, Iced Earth, Overkill, Rotting Christ, Deicide, Slayer, AC/DC, KISS (not metal, but influenced a lot of metalheads and are one of my all time favorite bands to this day), Helloween, Anorexia Nervosa, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies, Megadeth, Metallica (old school), Amon Amarth, Bathory, dudes and dudetts, I could go on, but alas, I have little time at the moment, but yeah, even though I do occasionally listen to the likes of Tori Amos, Johnny Cash, and The Beatles, I consider my self a total metalhead!
    "Tears falling from the sky, words from a lullaby, everything beautiful dies. For now, we're hanging in, though we are blessed with sin, you make my tired heart sing."

Weird question: have you ever spontaneously imagined scenarios to metal songs? I just listened to Shape of Despair's Curse Life and the intro...wow, I just imagined myself amidst trees and gazing on to the landscape in front of me while taking deep, calm breaths. It was surreal.

Flawless/Near-flawless/normal shinies for trade (RNGed in Gen V, with the exception of Skitty):2x2x 2x 2x

first round of bands announced for MDF next year:

Aeternus (Norway) *
    Arcturus (Norway) *
    Aura Noir (Norway) *
    Bulldozer (Italy) *
    Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (Germany)
    Demoncy
    Dragged into Sunlight (UK)
    D.R.I.
    Einherjer (Norway) *
    Funebrarum
    Goatsnake
    Impetuous Ritual (Australia) *
    Lock Up *
    Lycanthrophy (Czech Republic)
    Master
    Melt-Banana (Japan)
    Metal Church
    Noisear
    Neurosis
    Portal (Australia) *
    Serpentine Path
    Skepticism (Finland) *
    Splatterhouse
    Suffering Mind (Poland)
    Triptykon (Switzerland) *
    Tsjuder (Norway) *
    Twilight of the Gods *
    Ufomammut (Italy)
    Vallenfyre (UK) *
    Vulcano (Brazil) *
    Winter
    Wolfbrigade (Sweden) *

unless i win the lottery or some **** i won't be able to make it, but figured i'd post it here. quite a few cool bands on the roster (winter, aura noir, bulldozer, melt banana (!?), skepticism, wolfbrigade, etc). though the punk representation seems to be getting smaller and smaller each year. :/

Maybe not exactly metal, but I've been spinning The Mars Volta a lot lately and holy hell are they awesome.

They aren't bad. I had a phase where I listened to them a lot, but too many negatives about their music puts me off listening to them now. I prefer At the Drive-In
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

At the Drive-In are incredible too. Relationship of Command is a perfect album.

Ha MetalHeads I used to be one then just one decided i didn't like it :L don't know why though?

Spoiler:- Credit/Symbol/Badge:

new opeth album is pretty bland after first listen
    life is
    a game

I still haven't heard it yet, but then again, it IS a leak.

I feel like they've kind of been reaching a state of being comfortably boring/bland. Not really bad, but no longer anything to really write home about -- at least since Watershed.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

give me growls or give me death
    life is
    a game

Sorry for being off topic, but Anathema at the end of August, got the tickets today! First concert of the year, finally got a break from reality. Oh and that Ulvegr track, holy ****. That build up to the vocals, such a clean entrance.
    BLAH

i'm seeing anathema in august too. fortunately distant satellites grew on me a bit
    life is
    a game

speaking of leaks, new "Entombed" (technically it's Entombed AD but it's the same **** who cares) leaked.

I've not got tickets yet, but I'm hoping to catch Anathema when they play Manchester. I've not seen them since the We're Here tour, but that was one of the best gigs I've been to.

Opeth hasn't made a truly great album since Ghost Reveries. It's a shame, and while I did enjoy Watershed and Heritage (both were kinda good but not great), I have a feeling I will enjoy the new one, but I don't see it even reaching my top30 albums of 2014 at the end of the year.

Opeth are following a very dull trend that has devoured artists like Steven Wilson and Pain of Salvation, bands and artists who used to make really special music, but caught up with the 70s prog music and decided that they would rather blatantly rip off other artists from the 70s than to do their own unique trend. It's a fine line between paying homage to someone (like Porcupine Tree used to do with nods to Pink Floyd on earlier albums), and forming a King Crimson cover-band (what Steven Wilson has done).

With the case of Opeth, Mikael's influences are pretty obscure, and I don't think the majority of Opeth fans know bands like Goblin or Camel, but it's still pretty clear where he is drawing his ideas from. To clarify, I'm not one of those "they need to bring back the growls"-fans. I think Opeth could make a really good album that doesn't follow their traditional sound, but at least have some original and exciting songwriting, instead of a watered down 70s prog rock album that wouldn't have been any good in the 70s, let alone today.

I think I agree, though I think I have a lot more time for Watershed than you do with the sounds of it. But what your saying seems to ring true.

Did anyone see the news of "Unlocking the Truth getting a contract from Sony for 1 albums? On one hand, I'm glad that a bunch of 8th graders are getting a chance to spread their music to the world(especially a bunch of Brooklyn 8th graders that are in a largely rap/thug life environment), but on the other, I feel the pop tweenybopper culture of having child star musicians seeping into the metal world, and I can't help but feel confusion and mistrust of the megacorp studios.
    BLAH

Quote Originally Posted by mitchman_93 View Post
    (especially a bunch of Brooklyn 8th graders that are in a largely rap/thug life environment)
    this feels like rather xenophobic/stereotypical of a statement

but in general as much as i want to be happy for those kids all they're going to get is a glimpse into how ****ed the big music industry is. hopefully they'll get some success out of it, they're good kids, but i'm not optimistic about how **** will end up for them. best of luck though, even if i think their music is p terrible

That brings out a question about stereotypes: given that metal is somewhat expected from white people (no offense or any other negative implications to anyone on this forum), how are they gonna handle the criticism from their African American peers who could say to them something like "why are you guys trying to be white"?

this has been an issue a lot, especially since underground metal has a very strong conservative and borderline NS theme underlining it all. because they're in a more progressive and modern form of the genre i don't think they'll have as much of a problem from their peers in the metal community.

for people who don't think there's still a lot of racism in the metal community, i ask you to look into a member of Destroyer 666, an Australian black metal band, who criticized the band Blasphemy for having a "n word" in the band. and proceeded go get punched in the face for it, so at least that happened.

I think there are more overt examples of racism. I don't have a problem with it myself, freedom of speech and all that. It's when that prejudice is acted on that I think we need to intervene and have laws in place to protect, but speech, thought,and by extension art should have freedom of speech.

But yeah, meet Nitberg, one of Russia's better black metal bands

I nearly bought this shirt until reading the backprint.
    http://images.cdn.bigcartel.com/bigc...00/KATAXU4.jpg

Certainly the sort of black metal I'm into, racism and nazism and nationalism is rife. And in some respects I think the music is better, or at least more passionate, for it.

Page 361 of 364 FirstFirst ... 261311351357358359360361362363364 LastLast