Page 4 of 363 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 9066

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    in your head.
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance View Post
    I officially hate you.

    Trivium is a metalcore piece of shit, and should not be used in the same sentence as 'thrash metal' unless the word 'not' is beside it.

    1) Trivium is thrash metal = incorrect
    2) Trivium are not thrash metal, and suck imaginary Łar$ Ulrich's balls = correct.


    nononononononono.

    Godsmack = nu-'metal' ***gotry.

    Hellyeah = epic failure


    Immortal - At the Heart of Winter album. Very thrashy piece of black metal.

    Burzum - Feeble Screams From Forests Within is pretty good.

    1349 - Sculptor of Flesh is gdgd

    Emperor - Into the Infinity of Thought is my favourite bm song, though. heavy as ****, with beautiful synths laced in.

    dimmu borgir are stupid wank-offs of emperor, and should never be listened too.





    THIS POST HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

    AMP Energy Drink

    SEEING AS I'M ALL JACKED UP ON IT
    relax.. talking about over reacting....
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind~ Gandi?

    currently sr for shiny modest

    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. ~ Albert Einstein

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ugobama View Post
    I'm a metalhead. But more of the Hellyeah, Godsmack, and Metallica kind. Not the Slipknot kind.
    None of those bands you mentioned, INCLUDING SLIPKNOT, are metal.

    Any heard of Norma Jean? A little soft for my taste, but still really good.

    Hmm, I noticed Imperial Dragon mentioned Arch Enemy, sure they're good, but the girl scares the living hell outta me.
    19

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zack_l_astro View Post
    relax.. talking about over reacting....
    You're the one who called a non-thrash band thrash.

    None of those bands you mentioned, INCLUDING SLIPKNOT, are metal.
    Old Metallica is metal. Let me guess. You're the one who will say that Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and the entire power metal genre isn't metal?

    Any heard of Norma Jean? A little soft for my taste, but still really good.
    I wasn't aware that screamo was metal.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bolgia 9
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd View Post
    Limbonic Art really isn't Black in my eyes. They're far too symphonic to be considered to even be "metal", but that's just me.
    I see why you'd say this, but I just think that this song (and the album it's in) is a good sample of symphonic black.
    Last edited by Ragnarofl; 8th March 2008 at 9:54 PM.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance
    1349 - Sculptor of Flesh is gdgd
    I haven't heard that track in ages. Aren't they a BM supergroup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarofl
    I see why you'd say this, but I just think that this song (and the album it's in) is a good sample of symphonic black.
    Ah, that's just where our opinions differ. I've just gotten to the point of where I consider Black Metal's style in the likes of Dead-Era Mayhem and the bands surrounding it. The Symphonic movement is getting way too far out from it's BM roots.

    ♪♪ You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. ♪♪
    ♪♪ My Friend Code: 3265 3790 8847 ♪♪
    ♪♪ I've got to admit it's getting better. It's a little better all the time. ♪♪


  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    3,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    Hmm, I noticed Imperial Dragon mentioned Arch Enemy, sure they're good, but the girl scares the living hell outta me.

    Arch Enemy were equally as good with their first few albums back when they had a male vocalist, and although the girl might appear a bit... feisty to say the least, I'm sure she'd shag the life out of whoever she's with lol as far as women in metal go, I'd rather have Lacuna Coil's Christina Scabbia thanks haha

  7. #82
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    5,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPERIAL DRAGON View Post
    And to whoever mentioned Cynic - nice choice mate. I hear they're apparently recording a new album, after a break of what, 15 years?
    Yep. Theirs and Opeth's upcoming albums are the only ones I'm looking forward to for metal scene 2008 (unless I've been ignorant of some other awesomely ambitious releases).


    in the moment of ultra-light
    when the fire burns black
    & each & every second in the flame
    we divide & sub-divide &
    each time a cell splits off we
    become a new flesh - a new flesh
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    3,505

    Default

    Ah nice one I can't wait for Cynic's new release, I'm curious to find out if they've kept their early 90's jazzy death metal style, since I suppose that signature sound did sort of die along with Chuck Schuldiner after his last album with Control Denied, so it would be refreshing to see that jazzy death style still being used today.

    As for 2008 releases... Cynic obviously, but I'm most looking forward to The Haunted's new release, and considering they've never released a bad album I have high hopes for this album. Looking forward to In Flames's and Children of Bodom's new albums too, despite COB's single Blooddrunk being rather dissapointing in all honesty.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Cynic... onlytime I ever heard that name was when Wacken had the wrong band on their list...

    Cynic... not Cynic...


    2 bands named Cynic :P

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance View Post
    You're the one who called a non-thrash band thrash.


    Old Metallica is metal. Let me guess. You're the one who will say that Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and the entire power metal genre isn't metal?


    I wasn't aware that screamo was metal.
    Norma Jean are just above the screamo line into actual metal, much harder music than shit like Alesana or something.

    Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't metal, however, I do like the band Iron Maiden.

    And Arch Enemy's singer scares me, has anyone seen the video for "We Will Rise"? Holy crap.
    19

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't metal, however, I do like the band Iron Maiden.
    Yes they are. There's absolutely no question about it.


    This signature is temporary, until I can be bothered to spend a few hours shading a new one pixel by pixel in Paint.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimbat View Post
    Yes they are. There's absolutely no question about it.
    Word. They gave birth to Metal, and while the latter (in my opinion) sold out, their first three albums are vital to Metal's history.

    ♪♪ You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. ♪♪
    ♪♪ My Friend Code: 3265 3790 8847 ♪♪
    ♪♪ I've got to admit it's getting better. It's a little better all the time. ♪♪


  13. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPERIAL DRAGON View Post
    Arch Enemy were equally as good with their first few albums back when they had a male vocalist, and although the girl might appear a bit... feisty to say the least, I'm sure she'd shag the life out of whoever she's with lol as far as women in metal go, I'd rather have Lacuna Coil's Christina Scabbia thanks haha
    Arch Enemy is great. Other than the tone, she's doing an impressive job of the metal growl, which you usually don't get from a woman vocalist.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    There is no doubt that they started what would eventually evolve into metal, but whether they are actually of the metal genre seems to be just an opinion. I personally believe them to be either hard rock, or at a stretch, softcore metal, Iron Maiden are very good, Metallica have some good stuff, though I don't consider them really that metally... Can't say I have ever listened to Black Sabbath for a prolonged amount of time, though they seem softer than metallica and Iron Miaden, so I decided to not even waste the effort.
    19

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    There is no doubt that they started what would eventually evolve into metal, but whether they are actually of the metal genre seems to be just an opinion. I personally believe them to be either hard rock, or at a stretch, softcore metal, Iron Maiden are very good, Metallica have some good stuff, though I don't consider them really that metally... Can't say I have ever listened to Black Sabbath for a prolonged amount of time, though they seem softer than metallica and Iron Miaden, so I decided to not even waste the effort.
    Understandable. Metallica's gone too far out from their "Kill 'em All" days, sounding more hard rock than Thrash. As for as 'Maiden goes, I've always considered them Metal, "The Trooper" in particular is the quintessential 80s Metal song. I have a love/hate relationship with Dickenson's vocals, but you have to take it in stride - sometimes he just sounds cheesy.

    ♪♪ You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. ♪♪
    ♪♪ My Friend Code: 3265 3790 8847 ♪♪
    ♪♪ I've got to admit it's getting better. It's a little better all the time. ♪♪


  16. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    There is no doubt that they started what would eventually evolve into metal, but whether they are actually of the metal genre seems to be just an opinion. I personally believe them to be either hard rock, or at a stretch, softcore metal, Iron Maiden are very good, Metallica have some good stuff, though I don't consider them really that metally... Can't say I have ever listened to Black Sabbath for a prolonged amount of time, though they seem softer than metallica and Iron Miaden, so I decided to not even waste the effort.
    From what I've played on Guitar Hero, Black Sabbath is significantly lighter than both Metallica and Iron Maiden. Metallica was more metal near their beginning than they are now. 'Maiden is more hard rock-ish, but if you enjoy them and Metallica, you might want to listen to Slayer, which is certainly good metal if you are into that sort of style.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Don't get heaviness/aggressiveness confused with metal-ness. There are plenty of light, but still incredibly metal bands Sabbath being one, and these guys being another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDsY0_rPNc.

    Iron Maiden are not "hard rock", they are definitely metal. NWOBHM to be more precise. The only possible argument in Metallica's metal-ness is their later stuff, which most metal fans would say isn't metal, but since I've not listened to their more recent albums I can't really comment.

    As for Arch Enemy, a decent band, impressed me live.. however I prefer the singer from Arkona for her growling and clean vocal abilities, plus they're more folky ^^. (http://www.myspace.com/arkonarussia Check out Zalozniy)


    This signature is temporary, until I can be bothered to spend a few hours shading a new one pixel by pixel in Paint.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimbat View Post
    Don't get heaviness/aggressiveness confused with metal-ness. There are plenty of light, but still incredibly metal bands Sabbath being one, and these guys being another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDsY0_rPNc.

    Iron Maiden are not "hard rock", they are definitely metal. NWOBHM to be more precise. The only possible argument in Metallica's metal-ness is their later stuff, which most metal fans would say isn't metal, but since I've not listened to their more recent albums I can't really comment.

    As for Arch Enemy, a decent band, impressed me live.. however I prefer the singer from Arkona for her growling and clean vocal abilities, plus they're more folky ^^. (http://www.myspace.com/arkonarussia Check out Zalozniy)
    @ your first comment: I'm not saying its bad, but they are defintely not METAL. But what do any of us know? No one can really give an accurate definition of metal, personally, that Sonata Arctica band you showed aren't too bad, but they sound like dragonforce, and that completely kicks them straight out of the metal spectrum, IMO. What is and isn't metal is purely a matter opinion.

    @ second comment: How old is King Nothing? I can't really tell how new that song is. Their early stuff like One is absolutely great, and I actually do consider stuff like that Metal.

    @ third comment: Go Arch Enemy. They're ****ing crazy.
    19

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    I'm not saying its bad, but they are defintely not METAL. But what do any of us know? No one can really give an accurate definition of metal, personally, that Sonata Arctica band you showed aren't too bad, but they sound like dragonforce, and that completely kicks them straight out of the metal spectrum, IMO. What is and isn't metal is purely a matter opinion.

    @ second comment: How old is King Nothing? I can't really tell how new that song is. Their early stuff like One is absolutely great, and I actually do consider stuff like that Metal.

    1st - Dude, Sabbath definitely ARE metal! Regardless of how good they are (personally I'm not that big on them), Sabbath were the ones who defined metal. As for a 100% accurate definition of metal? Sure, nobody can provide that. But all half-decent attempts would at least include traditional bands like Sabbath and Motorhead, as well as Power Metal like Sonata Arctica. The most gray area would be metalcore/nu-metal thing (personally I consider them one and the same and both not metal).

    I think you've got a distorted view of metal to some extent.. try reading up on metal history and power metal.. since Sonata Arctica are most definitely metal. Check out some key bands in the formation of power metal such as Manowar, Helloween and Blind Guardian.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Hvov2GxeM <-- there's a good place to start.


    As for that Metallica song, I've no idea. It's not on any of the 3 albums that I've got though (Master of Puppets, the black album and Ride the Lightning).


    This signature is temporary, until I can be bothered to spend a few hours shading a new one pixel by pixel in Paint.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Where the violence rules
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance View Post
    Hellyeah = epic failure
    Honestly I think if you can ignore the horrific crap that was You Wouldn't Know and Waging War, they made a decent album.
    .TraX. - The sleepy one.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't metal
    Quoting this based on the sheer stupidity of the poster.

    Metal is not based entirely on heavyness.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance View Post
    Quoting this based on the sheer stupidity of the poster.

    Metal is not based entirely on heavyness.
    Thank you. I didn't want to have to do it, because, you know, not everyone likes seeing six bazillion asterisks in one post.

    That said, Sabbath is clearly metal, and they pretty much INVENTED the ****ing genre. Iron Maiden and Metallica helped to shape the genre into its current form.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit View Post
    Thank you. I didn't want to have to do it, because, you know, not everyone likes seeing six bazillion asterisks in one post.

    That said, Sabbath is clearly metal, and they pretty much INVENTED the ****ing genre. Iron Maiden and Metallica helped to shape the genre into its current form.
    Metal is not "one form"; it has many branches of forms. 'Maiden and Metallica helped to shape some other forms, more so in the bands' earlier stages. However, different bands pioneered and shaped other branches of metal.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .TraX. View Post
    Honestly I think if you can ignore the horrific crap that was You Wouldn't Know and Waging War, they made a decent album.
    Listened to it twice. Both times bored me to death.

    Maiden and Metallica didn't even pioneer anything, to be honest. Judas Priest and Overkill did, respectively.
    Last edited by DragonDance; 10th March 2008 at 4:31 AM.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance
    Maiden and Metallica didn't even pioneer anything, to be honest. Judas Priest and Overkill did, respectively.
    Since when was leather chaps a Metal fad in modern Metal? It's usually chalked up to top hats and capes these days..

    To be honest, most of the originals influenced the genre in some way. Iron Maiden's over-the-top nature from the lyrics with material that was very taboo at the time ("The Number of the Beast" album in particular, and it's not just limited to the title song), all the way down to a rocker-turned-zombie mascot helped form the nature of Metal.

    The sad thing is that very few bands, in my opinion, have influenced the genre in recent years. Yeah, there's been new movements, but it's beating the same dead horse by changing the setup just a bit and calling it "new". Forget Melodic Death, I want my Skinless and Macabre to make my ears bleed.

    Just my two cents. I'm not saying any particular band or genre is bad because it's all on personal taste, but it's kind of sad at what Metal has become in the recent years. Yeah, there's always underground acts keeping things together, but Nu-Metal's been raping the genre since KoRn hit the airwaves and Cradle of Filth has appeared on "Viva La Bam"..

    ♪♪ You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. ♪♪
    ♪♪ My Friend Code: 3265 3790 8847 ♪♪
    ♪♪ I've got to admit it's getting better. It's a little better all the time. ♪♪


Page 4 of 363 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •