Page 364 of 364 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364
Results 9,076 to 9,077 of 9077

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

I don't consider myself a hipster, or the kind of person who likes obscure things because they are obscure, and in fact I listen to several big bands as well as a lot of small ones. But my honest opinion is that mainstream music, metal especially has been in a stand still for years. There hasn't been anything exciting going on with mainstream metal (as in bands that are on the radio) since Faith No More, and that was in the 90's. If you want interesting metal music these days, the more obscure genres is where you gotta turn.

But I also have a lot of free time on my hands, so digging for new bands is easier. I know some people who still listen to bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden and keep telling themselves that those bands are "just as good as in the 80s", and I have a feeling it's mostly out of convenience. If you don't have all the time in the world, it's easier to stick with what you know and like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Sure, I'm not disapproving at all. It just makes joining the discussion a tad harder. But I'm not complaining, I love discovering new music!
    Then again, usually my discoveries originate from a festival gig. Whenever I have a few hours of time with none of my favorite bands scheduled, I either chill out at the camping or go see something random.

Discovered Opeth last summer that way, man I can't believe I forgot them on my list. They're so incredibly tight live and their music is really well-composed imo. :O
    I first discovered Opeth at a festival (Bloodstock 2008), though I hated them. I'd been stood so long I was really uncomfortable and just didn't enjoy it. But my mate got me listening to them, and I saw them soon after and it was great. I've seen them a few times since and they were really good. But then I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall show they put on the DVD and I just felt indifferent. I didn't like Heritage which came next, and as a result I've effectively stopped listening to them.

Page 364 of 364 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364