Page 364 of 364 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364
Results 9,076 to 9,096 of 9096

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

I don't consider myself a hipster, or the kind of person who likes obscure things because they are obscure, and in fact I listen to several big bands as well as a lot of small ones. But my honest opinion is that mainstream music, metal especially has been in a stand still for years. There hasn't been anything exciting going on with mainstream metal (as in bands that are on the radio) since Faith No More, and that was in the 90's. If you want interesting metal music these days, the more obscure genres is where you gotta turn.

But I also have a lot of free time on my hands, so digging for new bands is easier. I know some people who still listen to bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden and keep telling themselves that those bands are "just as good as in the 80s", and I have a feeling it's mostly out of convenience. If you don't have all the time in the world, it's easier to stick with what you know and like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Sure, I'm not disapproving at all. It just makes joining the discussion a tad harder. But I'm not complaining, I love discovering new music!
    Then again, usually my discoveries originate from a festival gig. Whenever I have a few hours of time with none of my favorite bands scheduled, I either chill out at the camping or go see something random.

Discovered Opeth last summer that way, man I can't believe I forgot them on my list. They're so incredibly tight live and their music is really well-composed imo. :O
    I first discovered Opeth at a festival (Bloodstock 2008), though I hated them. I'd been stood so long I was really uncomfortable and just didn't enjoy it. But my mate got me listening to them, and I saw them soon after and it was great. I've seen them a few times since and they were really good. But then I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall show they put on the DVD and I just felt indifferent. I didn't like Heritage which came next, and as a result I've effectively stopped listening to them.

any of you wimps in America and going to Hell's Headbash 2? there's going to be like 26 bands or something. so far archgoat, cianide, profantica and midnight have been confirmed. shaping up to be awesome.

After being burnt by Twilight of the Gods-Jesus H ****ing Christ who chose it as the album's single-I'm glad as hell that I still love Blind Guardian. Beyond the Red Mirror is excellent, Kai is a lot more gruff and growls a lot more, and there is just so much oomph to their songs. That opening for The Ninth Wave, it was worth the wait. ANATO's successor is finally here.
    BLAH

He's back. I may not be a fan of his work, but, damn, this track is so powerful.

Spoiler:- Slight nsfw:
    Nickname: Johnny
    3DS Code: 2208 - 6426 - 2784
    Friend Safari - Meditite, Throh and Riolu

Flawless/Near-flawless/normal shinies for trade (RNGed in Gen V, with the exception of Skitty):2x2x 2x 2x

Intended Omega Ruby Team:

I'm going to see Alestorm tonight in NYC!

quick update on Hell's Headbash 2 for my Murican friends, especially the west coast ones. this is the current line up:

ARCHGOAT
    PROFANATICA
    MIDNIGHT
    BLACK WITCHERY
    ACID WITCH
    CIANIDE
    DEIPHAGO
    HIGH SPIRITS
    DECEASED
    SHITFUCKER
    NYOGTHAEBLISZ
    PERDITION TEMPLE
    NEXUL
    SACROCURSE
    CEMETERY LUST
    OCTOBER 31
    GRAVEWURM
    +more tba

pretty sick all around. the crowd was great last year and all the bands gave it their all. really looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by StonE EdgE View Post
    I'm going to see Alestorm tonight in NYC!
    i'm actually not a fan of alestorm but saw them with a friend live a few years ago since he wanted a buddy. i talked to their... vocalist i think? after the show. he was cool. i told him his band sucked and then we talked about dragon warrior and final fantasy for half an hour.
    Last edited by junkieloser; 5th February 2015 at 2:06 AM.

I met the singer at the bar before the show, he was pretty chill. I also met the singer for Swashbuckle, who opened for them. That guy is ****ing awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    I first discovered Opeth at a festival (Bloodstock 2008), though I hated them. I'd been stood so long I was really uncomfortable and just didn't enjoy it. But my mate got me listening to them, and I saw them soon after and it was great. I've seen them a few times since and they were really good. But then I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall show they put on the DVD and I just felt indifferent. I didn't like Heritage which came next, and as a result I've effectively stopped listening to them.
    The last record I loved was Ghost Reveries, then they got too proggy for me and I love prog bands like Between the Buried and me.

Anybody like Gojira?

2001' Pokemon Crystal team. Johto is my favorite region of Pokemon

F.C. 5301 1327 4714

Hey guys, amazed to see this thread is still alive and active! Don't know if you remember me, Hammerheart, but good to see you around

Yes, I like Gojira. Saw them last year (two years ago?) with Devin Townsend.

What were everyone's favorite albums from last year? I'm a huge power metal fan. My top picks are Triosphere - The Heart of the Matter, Falconer - Black Moon Rising, and the almighty Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead. I haven't checked out much outside the power metal genre yet, looking for suggestions!

~~

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Squirtle View Post
    Anybody like Gojira?
    Yep, From Mars to Sirius and Terra Incognita are my favorite albums of theirs. Very talented band.

L'enfant Sauvage is my favorite album by Gojira, but From Mars to Sirius is a close second.

Hair metal is still metal, and there is this obscure hair band called Kik Tracee. They recorded one album in 1991, and it features a pretty good cover of the Simon and Garfunkel song Mrs. Robinson.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    Though I die, La Resistance lives on

Hello there, fellow Serebii metalheads. I love symphonic metal, especially Kamelot and Nightwish, plus more thrashy yet still celticy stuff like Gods of the Earth era The Sword. And of course the classics like Metallica. Other things that I have a few tracks of that I like are DragonForce, Apocalyptica, Dream Theater and MegaDeath. Can anyone suggest a celticy symphonicy band that I might like? I especially love songs that tell a cool story, if that helps.
    3DS Name: James
    Friend Code: 4897-7143-5332
    Friend Safari: Poison (Gloom, Garbodor, Drapion)
        Spoiler:- Looking For:

Happy to help people find out what their safari is.
    Palaeontologist and proud.
    Previously known as JammyU.

I like Kamelot and Nightwish too. You might like Within Temptation's album, Mother Earth.

My Royal AU Advanceshipping + Advanceshipping trilogy
    ♔Thy Wish Will Come♔ The Other King♔Once Upon A Crown♔
    And the spin-off ♔The Ketchum Inheritance♔
    Award winning fic:Carry On, Blissey

Quote Originally Posted by Inconspicuosaurus View Post
    Hello there, fellow Serebii metalheads. I love symphonic metal, especially Kamelot and Nightwish, plus more thrashy yet still celticy stuff like Gods of the Earth era The Sword. And of course the classics like Metallica. Other things that I have a few tracks of that I like are DragonForce, Apocalyptica, Dream Theater and MegaDeath. Can anyone suggest a celticy symphonicy band that I might like? I especially love songs that tell a cool story, if that helps.
    Ensiferum, Primordial, and Moonsorrow are essential bands if you want celtic sounding metal. Its not symphonic as much, but there is great material. Personally I can't suggest a single album, though some of the later Primordial is a bit weak, and I wouldn't touch Ensiferum after Victory Song. There's also this English band I was suggested to by another member years ago that's heavy metal, but is very celtic in there sound. New band too, first album was in 2009. Dark.....something, god why can't I remember them...

Speaking of heavy metal, just listened to Enforcer's new album. Holy ****. Bands like them are why I continue to listen to metal. I'm also renewing my self when it comes to metal, started buying metal hammer again and going through the reviews to learn new bands, listen to new stuff and generally get a hold of things again. I was so out of the loop these last years.
    Last edited by mitchman_93; 16th February 2015 at 10:51 AM.
    BLAH

Not conventionally symphonic in the way a band like Nightwish are, but compositionally I feel that it really has that bombast to it once the main melody kicks in around 2:07

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post

Not conventionally symphonic in the way a band like Nightwish are, but compositionally I feel that it really has that bombast to it once the main melody kicks in around 2:07
    I absolutely LOVE this album. Roots by them is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Squirtle View Post
    The last record I loved was Ghost Reveries, then they got too proggy for me and I love prog bands like Between the Buried and me.
    In my case, they didn't become necessarily "too proggy" (I think we all know by now that I love me some proggy ****), they just weren't that interesting. I haven't bothered to listen to Pale Communion yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ChloboShoka View Post
    I like Kamelot and Nightwish too. You might like Within Temptation's album, Mother Earth.
    Sadly, I think Within Temptation has gotten a bit less metal as time went -- but I never really listened to them very much. If I had to choose, I think that After Forever is probably the best band in the subgenre of, er... female-fronted pseudo-operatic... would that even be called Gothic metal? I'm pretty well out of it lately when it comes to musical genres.

Man, I just discovered The Ocean's masterpiece album Pelagial. It is so good, blew me away! I'm not even sure whether I prefer the instrumental version or not, it's like a wholly different experience. I'm not a big fan of their other work, although I have to admit I didn't spend as much time listening to that. Precambrian is a bit too aggressive for my taste, and Heliocentric/Anthropocentric seem to lack a little punch, oddly.

Just wanted to share that with you guys.

On the subject of Symphonic Metal, there's not much I can add really. Nightwish is experiencing some kind of revival since Floor Janssens joined them, but it's still not Tarja. I've never liked Within Temptation, although Ice Queen is a decent song. If they're not already mentioned, Epica is a pretty good symphonic metal band.
    Last edited by Bert; 7th March 2015 at 1:04 PM.

Symphonic metal: You guys need to check out Serenity. An example song from them is My legacy.
    Ascension Drive. Faraway Sands | Living the dream RP. Fizzy Bubbles.

Page 364 of 364 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364