Page 5 of 364 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Metalheads? anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance View Post
    That's ****ing beautiful.

They need to get signed..

♪♪ You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. ♪♪
    ♪♪ My Friend Code: 3265 3790 8847 ♪♪
    ♪♪ I've got to admit it's getting better. It's a little better all the time. ♪♪

Black metal... that you can dance to! D:
    Finntroll + beer + insanity = ownage ^^

My list

Agalloch, Alestorm, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Apocalyptica, Battlelore, Behemoth, Belphegor, Blind Guardian, The Berzerker, Buckethead, Candlemass, Carpathian Forest, Children of Bodom, ChthoniC, Cradle of Filth, Cynic, Dark Funeral, Dimmu Borgir (first 3 albums), Dissection, Draconian, Dream Theater, Electric Wizard, Eluveitie, Emperor, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Exhumed, Grand Magus, Graveworm, Fall of the Idols, Finntroll, Immortal, Job For a Cowboy, Katatonia Korpiklaani/Shaman, Kreator, In Flames, Isis, Limbonic Art, Lord Vicar, Martriden, Metallica, Meshuggah, Moonsorrow, Moonspell, Mushroomhead, Napalm Death, Nightwish, Nokturnal Mortum, Norther, Opeth, Orphaned Land, Pig Destroyer, Rhapsody, Red Harvest, Reverend Bizarre, Sepultura, Septic Flesh, Shade Empire, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, System of a Down, TrollfesT, Turmion Katilot, Vital Remains, Wintersun.
    Last edited by *Bashamo*; 3rd December 2008 at 10:24 AM.

Anybody ever heard of this band called "Nanowar of Steel"?

Basically, what these guys do is take lyrics of well known metal songs, and turn them into something ridiculous, as to laugh at how serious all these metal bands take themselves.

songtitels like:

"Master of Pizza"(master of puppets by Metallica)
    "Emerald Fork" (Emerald Sword by Rhapsody, now called Rhapsody of Fire)
    "The Power of The Power of The Power(of The Sword)" (something by Manowar)
    "Our Metal Is So Strong, Caus Our Dick Is So Long"(random stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Lathander View Post
    Anybody ever heard of this band called "Nanowar of Steel"?

Basically, what these guys do is take lyrics of well known metal songs, and turn them into something ridiculous, as to laugh at how serious all these metal bands take themselves.

songtitels like:

"Master of Pizza"(master of puppets by Metallica)
    "Emerald Fork" (Emerald Sword by Rhapsody, now called Rhapsody of Fire)
    "The Power of The Power of The Power(of The Sword)" (something by Manowar)
    "Our Metal Is So Strong, Caus Our Dick Is So Long"(random stuff)
    I am intrigued =o

Y halo thar guise, I have a strange chin piercing, listen to my music.

And so I did.

Quote Originally Posted by *Bashamo* View Post
    Trollfest! Good call! Some nice stuff in your list .. and quite a bit of junk too (in my opinion) XD.

Perhaps I should make a list soon..

This signature is temporary, until I can be bothered to spend a few hours shading a new one pixel by pixel in Paint.

I read a fair few posts, of which reside in this thread, and judging by the lack of intelligence and overall taste, I don't really see the point in doing what I was going to do initially; and make a detailed post elaborating on what types of metal I like specifically, with many examples.
    Though this is Serebii, and people here have terrible tastes in music as it is (minusing a few characters, though not enough to compensate for the majority), and it so seems that the tastes people have in metal is to a similar degree of crap.

I can see that Pink_Floyd and DragonDance (being a friend of mine who I've shared vast amounts of my music preferences with) seem to be the only ones with their heads screwed on. Well, to a degree that is, as I know a favourite of DragonDance's is Thrash, which I find philtred and mindless - what I dislike most about the whole metal scene.

I suppose it'd only polite to expand on what kinds of metal I enjoy, as then those of you who care about this pretty awful thread can judge me in the ways in which I know you will:

My favourite collection of metal artists and bands reside around the spawn that the members of Isis have shat out over the years. I couldn't care for Isis in themselves, as they bore me stupid, and their music is summed up by their fans perfectly, but I cannot disregard the fact that some of the members have really moved on to some amazing projects.
    Old Man Gloom (In Full: The Old Man Gloom Alien Simian Defence League) are my all time favourite of said bands. Originally created by Aaron Turner who was originally in Isis. The band also has heaps of influences from the bands their other members have "served" in, like Nate Newton who provides vocals and works guitars for Old Man Gloom, who pulls on influences from the band he comes from; Converge. Converge being another band that I do rather enjoy in the Hardcore/Metalcore scene.
    Another member of Old Man Gloom is Caleb Scofield, who was originally in the long term running band Cave In. The earlier styles of Cave In were similar to that of Converge and The Dillinger Escape Plan (of who I'm not quite so fond); very brutal & extreme metal with a hardcore mix, otherwise known as "metalcore". Though they started off very heavy, they progressed into much softer, more ambient based music - which they describe as being "Space Rock" due to how "spacey" it sounds, which was much more appealing to the masses, and because of this, their later albums are those that are better known and much more successful. Though because of my personal preference, I much prefer their earlier work, as it was raw and what I love about metal. In Old Man Gloom you can feel the influences Cave In's progression and change into softer music throughout their releases, as certain tracks do have a more somber tone making a change from the heavier ones.
    Over the years Jay Randall of Agoraphobic Nosebleed has helped mix their records, adding influence there as well.

So that can kind of depict what sort of music I like, as many of the bands similar to Old Man Gloom are amongst my list of favourites. This includes; Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Zozobra, Battle of Mice, Made Out of Babies, Kayo Dot, Doomriders, Keelhaul, Baroness, Kylesa, Kwoon, Boris (and all the artists they have worked with in different projects), Crowbar, earier Cave In, and so forth.
    I'm also big on a lot of Technical Death Metal groups, a fair few Melodic Death Metal acts, Metalcore, Doom Metal, Progressive Metal (but not the bands typically associated with "Progressive Metal" like Dream Theater and bands that just masturbate their instruments for hours on end, but more on the technical side of things like Meshuggah, Textures, Edge of Sanity, etc) and a lot of Black Metal.
    The Black Metal I prefer is not to that which people have been mentioning throughout this thread, which is much more user friendly "appeal-to-the-masses" rubbish, but bands that play much more experimental Black Metal, with far a far more depressive or somber tone. Usually far more raw, and far better. Wolves in the Throne Room, Lurker of Chalice, Amesoeurs, and Limbonic Art being fine examples. In their music they experiment so much with other styles, you can even hear elements of Shoegaze!

I also have a soft spot for "lolworthy" Power Metal bands as well, like Sonata Arctica, but who amongst us can say that their stylings aren't addictive and appealing at times, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by _Eevee_ View Post

And so I did.
    I could never figure out how the hell he got that piercing in his chin to begin with
    Heart Gold FC 0690 2997 2142

Quote Originally Posted by magnemiteZ View Post
    I'm also big on a lot of Technical Death Metal groups, a fair few Melodic Death Metal acts, Metalcore, Doom Metal, Progressive Metal (but not the bands typically associated with "Progressive Metal" like Dream Theater and bands that just masturbate their instruments for hours on end, but more on the technical side of things like Meshuggah, Textures, Edge of Sanity, etc) and a lot of Black Metal.
    Probably a good thing, lulz. I listen to Dream Theater, because, well... I'm a fruit. Really, Dream Theater are Rush wannabes with Yes-wannabe keyboards and more just... loudness. I'm not a huge fan of John Petrucci, either; I've said before, at other places, that Dream Theater's songs would be much better off being played by other people. The only other band I listen to which is really prog-metal is Tool, though I think that RED-era King Crimson should count. Most of my metal is in the area of 'old school' metal like Sabbath et al., though I do also listen to Iron Maiden and a few other metal or near-metal bands, e.g. Monster Magnet.

Speaking of Maiden, I've finally gotten a chance to expand my collection a little and picked up a copy of Powerslave yesterday; is it just me, or is this, you know... their best album?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDance View Post
    Absolutely ace.

I'm more into rock although I do listen Blink 182 and Billy talent.( probably more but can't remember. I do listen Greenday, Three Days Grace, Blink 182. TDG most of them all.
    Searching for Gligar Impish Nature (F/M)

^Credit to Dark Firebird for the Animation.

Twinned with the Fantastical
    Amaranth.

rock, hardrock, metal, deathmetal, i really can't live without it, i listen it every day of the entire week whenever i get the chanse.

Quote Originally Posted by _Eevee_ View Post

And so I did.
    As cool as what Disturbed is, I can't really consider them metal.

Good band, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mielad2 View Post
    I'm more into rock although I do listen Blink 182 and Billy talent.( probably more but can't remember. I do listen Greenday, Three Days Grace, Blink 182. TDG most of them all.
    die.

none of those bands you listed are even CLOSE to being metal.

Quote Originally Posted by magnemiteZ
    The Black Metal I prefer is not to that which people have been mentioning throughout this thread, which is much more user friendly "appeal-to-the-masses" rubbish, but bands that play much more experimental Black Metal, with far a far more depressive or somber tone. Usually far more raw, and far better. Wolves in the Throne Room, Lurker of Chalice, Amesoeurs, and Limbonic Art being fine examples. In their music they experiment so much with other styles, you can even hear elements of Shoegaze!
    Check out "Nockturnal Mortum" and "Sear Bliss". I openly admit I know nothing about either of these bands, but from the tracks that I've heard it seems that they're right up your alley. Both are very unique in their own right, although neither are what I like in my Black Metal. I respect bands for pushing the boundaries on what Black Metal can be, but it just seems like a lot of them are crossing the line into dark ambient and abandoning their metal roots entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit
    Speaking of Maiden, I've finally gotten a chance to expand my collection a little and picked up a copy of Powerslave yesterday; is it just me, or is this, you know... their best album?
    "Number of the Beast" and "Piece of Mind" are also great, although it's difficult to pick a "best" out of the three. When you get the chance, get the former of the two, you won't be disappointed. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is an amazing piece of lyrical exposition and is one of the few songs that both inspired me and moved me at the same time.

For those confused on what Black Metal is, let Abbath explain it to you. That cat just seems fun to party with.
    Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 10th March 2008 at 7:51 PM.

♪♪ You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. ♪♪
    ♪♪ My Friend Code: 3265 3790 8847 ♪♪
    ♪♪ I've got to admit it's getting better. It's a little better all the time. ♪♪

Nightwish is an amazing band. Last year, they released a bunch of great songs like Amaranth and Lips are still Red. OMG both are amazing songs.
    STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS!
    Round 1: Vancouver Canucks - 1 Vs. Chicago Blackhawks - 1
    GO CANUCKS!

PASBL Stats

Oh, did I mention when I see you it stings like hell?
    Due to the fact that we could have something,
    that'll never happen...

I really have no opinion when it comes to Nightwish, but I'm expecting alot of Tarja***s to come in and flame you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd View Post
    "Number of the Beast" and "Piece of Mind" are also great, although it's difficult to pick a "best" out of the three. When you get the chance, get the former of the two, you won't be disappointed. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is an amazing piece of lyrical exposition and is one of the few songs that both inspired me and moved me at the same time.
    I have "Number of the Beast" already. Translation: my dad has a copy, and he's not getting it back for a long ****ing time. I'll pick up a copy of "Piece of Mind" as soon as I can. Thanks.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit View Post
    The only other band I listen to which is really prog-metal is Tool, though I think that RED-era King Crimson should count.
    Uh, I don't think one can ever count King Crimson as metal?

Some of the bands I listed a couple or so pages back are worthwhile prog-rock bands that aren't sheer wankery like Dream Theater. (And to be fair to DT, when they actually put some thought into composition, like in Scenes from a Memory, much of Images and Words, and A Change of Seasons -- forget the masturbatory cover songs -- they manage to craft some great music.)

I do have to admit magnemiteZ's elitist overtones amuse me, though some of the bands he list are pretty damn good.

Oh, and Isis are just Neurosis rip-offs, and Kayo Dot isn't much compared to when they were maudlin of the Well.

in the moment of ultra-light
    when the fire burns black
    & each & every second in the flame
    we divide & sub-divide &
    each time a cell splits off we
    become a new flesh - a new flesh
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

Powerslave will always be superior, imo.

Number of the Beast just has way too much filler for me.

Probably a good thing, lulz. I listen to Dream Theater, because, well... I'm a fruit. Really, Dream Theater are Rush wannabes with Yes-wannabe keyboards and more just... loudness. I'm not a huge fan of John Petrucci, either; I've said before, at other places, that Dream Theater's songs would be much better off being played by other people.
    If you're slandering the members of Dream Theater, then you're frankly stupid. They are possibly the most talented band on the planet, technically, but this does not stop them from playing terrible music. If they did get their act together, and play proper music, they could be one of the best bands in metal. All the ingredients are there, they just need to prepare it differently.
    The only other band I listen to which is really prog-metal is Tool, though I think that RED-era King Crimson should count.
    Tool really isn't metal. Never have I considered them so.
    A fun quote I once read went; "Tool have to be the only band in which the name of the band describes the fans." - no offence to you personally, but the majority of Tool fans really are tools!
    Most of my metal is in the area of 'old school' metal like Sabbath et al., though I do also listen to Iron Maiden and a few other metal or near-metal bands, e.g. Monster Magnet.
    Black Sabbath are timeless, and Iron Maiden are an old favourite of mine - I'm hoping to see them play live around May!
    Definitely not their best, but a good album nonetheless.
    I've not listened to them in a long while though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd View Post
    Check out "Nockturnal Mortum" and "Sear Bliss". I openly admit I know nothing about either of these bands, but from the tracks that I've heard it seems that they're right up your alley. Both are very unique in their own right, although neither are what I like in my Black Metal. I respect bands for pushing the boundaries on what Black Metal can be, but it just seems like a lot of them are crossing the line into dark ambient and abandoning their metal roots entirely.
    I've heard stuff by Nockturnal Mortum, but it wasn't something that I enjoyed much. Not my style.
    Sear Bliss I shall look into though, as I've not head of them before - I briefly looked into them, and the description sounds like it's worth a listen at least. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    Absolutely ace.
    Oh, I forgot to mention; you're an idiot.
    Last edited by magnemiteZ; 10th March 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magnemiteZ View Post
    If you're slandering the members of Dream Theater, then you're frankly stupid. They are possibly the most talented band on the planet, technically, but this does not stop them from playing terrible music. If they did get their act together, and play proper music, they could be one of the best bands in metal. All the ingredients are there, they just need to prepare it differently.
    My issue is less with the members of DT themselves, but I'm seeing a lot of -- as you all say -- wank. Especially from John. They're great musicians, but something about them... just doesn't seem like they work as well for the songs they play. But then, they played both "Panic Attack" and "The Answer Lies Within," which are mostly complete opposites.

Tool really isn't metal. Never have I considered them so.
    Some people consider them metal; I'm a shitty judge, so for the moment, I'm just saying what other people seem to think; they're metal, but in truth, I think they're closer to ****ing lunatics.

A fun quote I once read went; "Tool have to be the only band in which the name of the band describes the fans." - no offence to you personally, but the majority of Tool fans really are tools!
    Some are, some aren't. A good amount of people on t.d.n. are alright, but there are others who should die in a fire.

I'd say they're... well, maybe not, but I think it's better than the "brutal prog" descriptor I've seen. Says Wikipedia about brutal prog:

Brutal prog is a music sub-genre that describes a more extreme, more d.i.y. punk influenced form of progressive rock. The term was coined by Weasel Walter of The Flying Luttenbachers. Brutal prog is more concerned with intensity, dissonance and odd time signatures than the standard progressive rock form, and is gaining in popularity.
    Opinion?

Black Sabbath are timeless, and Iron Maiden are an old favourite of mine - I'm hoping to see them play live around May!
    Hey, maybe I'll try to see 'em perform if I get a chance. It's the 'getting a chance' that's a pain in the arse.

Definitely not their best, but a good album nonetheless.
    I've not listened to them in a long while though.
    Maybe it's just the standard "it's new so" **** going on with me. "2 Minutes to Midnight" in particular drew me in rather quickly.

(And to be fair to DT, when they actually put some thought into composition, like in Scenes from a Memory, much of Images and Words, and A Change of Seasons -- forget the masturbatory cover songs -- they manage to craft some great music.)
    True enough. 6DOIT is wankalicious to say the least - it COULD be a good concept, but forty minutes? Too long. John doesn't need a three minute solo in "The Test That Stumped Them All." In fact, he doesn't even need one on "Panic Attack" on Octavarium.

...and I LIKE that song.

The usual links

Tool is metal. All the way back from their first EP to even their lighter 10,000 Days they are metal.

But I find labels and genres to be annoying more often than not, anyway. And most progressive acts aren't really progressive.

I'd say they're... well, maybe not, but I think it's better than the "brutal prog" descriptor I've seen. Says Wikipedia about brutal prog:

Opinion?
    I'd disagree with the brutal prog description not being apt for KC, but I don't really think of them as metal, either. Porcupine Tree shows a harsher side on Fear of a Blant Planet, but some dark riffs and ambience doesn't necessarily make them metal.

True enough. 6DOIT is wankalicious to say the least - it COULD be a good concept, but forty minutes? Too long. John doesn't need a three minute solo in "The Test That Stumped Them All."
    Which is one of the reasons why I'm not buying Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance. The second disc is fine, but the first is pretentious as ****ing hell.

Oh, and I do find your comparison to Rush and Yes to be rather fitting, though DT lacks the silliness of the former and grandoise of the latter.
    Last edited by HK; 10th March 2008 at 11:30 PM.

in the moment of ultra-light
    when the fire burns black
    & each & every second in the flame
    we divide & sub-divide &
    each time a cell splits off we
    become a new flesh - a new flesh
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

Quote Originally Posted by HellKorn View Post
    I'd disagree with the brutal prog description not being apt for KC, but I don't really think of them as metal, either. Porcupine Tree shows a harsher side on Fear of a Blant Planet, but some dark riffs and ambience doesn't necessarily make them metal.
    If anything, I think the KC = brutal prog is more in line with their newer material - well, except in the performances, live or otherwise. Certainly harsh. But maybe not so much metal, thinking about it. And by 'harsh,' I mean that in the 'like rubbing sandpaper on the eardrums' way, but in the best way possible.

Which is one of the reasons why I'm not buying Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance. The second disc is fine, but the first is pretentious as ****ing hell.

Oh, and I do find your comparison to Rush and Yes to be rather fitting, though DT lacks the silliness of the former and grandoise of the latter.
    I'd say that the second disc is kinda ridiculous in its sheer pretentiousness at times, too.

And, yes, I certainly don't see much attempt at anything silly in any of Dream Theater's work - and they're certainly not as grand as Yes. Most of the times when they attempt an epic piece, it's epic-ness is rather undermined by its... Overwrought-ness? Not sure what to call it at the moment.

While we're talking about Dream Theater - I have to ask "why?" to some of those covers. But then, they're also 99% of the time covering songs whose original versions are ludicrously hard to top.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 10th March 2008 at 11:40 PM.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by HellKorn View Post
    They should just be lumbered in with the other boring progressive bands of the same sort.
    Some of the bands I listed a couple or so pages back are worthwhile prog-rock bands that aren't sheer wankery like Dream Theater. (And to be fair to DT, when they actually put some thought into composition, like in Scenes from a Memory, much of Images and Words, and A Change of Seasons -- forget the masturbatory cover songs -- they manage to craft some great music.)
    I assume you mean this list:
    What some good music that is metal? Try out Agalloch, Tool, Dream Theater (when they aren't wanking all over the place), Riverside, Time of Orchids, Death, Cynic, Disillusion (Back to the Times of Splendor only), and Pain of Salvation.
    Agalloch are a great band. Have you heard their new EP (I found what I can only assume to be a leaked copy a few weeks back)? It's called "The White EP" - just a heads up is all. It's a lot softer than previous work, but I like it.
    Tool and Dream Theater I couldn't care less for, though the song "I Walk Beside You" is one even I find myself loving.
    The rest I have no love for either.
    I do have to admit magnemiteZ's elitist overtones amuse me, though some of the bands he list are pretty damn good.
    No bad can come of slight elitism in the world of today.
    And don't flatter yourself.
    Oh, and Isis are just Neurosis rip-offs, and Kayo Dot isn't much compared to when they were maudlin of the Well.
    I can't think of any words really to describe Isis, the fans say it all. Shame the majority of Neurosis fans are faggots though, they play some really decent music. Their newest album "Given to the Rising" really was a masterpiece, and possibly my favourite album released in the whole of 2007.
    Kayo Dot play sodding good music too, there is no denying that.
    But I managed to forget maudlin of the Well! I've queued their "Bath" album which I'll play in a bit.
    My issue is less with the members of DT themselves, but I'm seeing a lot of -- as you all say -- wank. Especially from John. They're great musicians, but something about them... just doesn't seem like they work as well for the songs they play. But then, they played both "Panic Attack" and "The Answer Lies Within," which are mostly complete opposites.
    I agree. You've expanded a little on what I said in one bracketed sentence!
    Some people consider them metal; I'm a shitty judge, so for the moment, I'm just saying what other people seem to think; they're metal, but in truth, I think they're closer to ****ing lunatics.
    Those who consider them metal are those who usually use the term "Post-Metal" and classify Tool under this tag.
    Those people are the worst. The absolute worst.
    Some are, some aren't. A good amount of people on t.d.n. are alright, but there are others who should die in a fire.
    Well, of course. There are acceptions in everything...
    Brutal prog is a music sub-genre that describes a more extreme, more d.i.y. punk influenced form of progressive rock. The term was coined by Weasel Walter of The Flying Luttenbachers. Brutal prog is more concerned with intensity, dissonance and odd time signatures than the standard progressive rock form, and is gaining in popularity.
    Opinion?
    Sounds like a filler genre created by people who tag things as "Post-Metal".
    Hey, maybe I'll try to see 'em perform if I get a chance. It's the 'getting a chance' that's a pain in the arse.
    They're playing in some venues later in the year in the UK. I hope to get tickets with my mate to go to one in London.
    Even though I'm not much of a fan of them anymore, I would love to see them live, as I've heard and read that they give an amazing show!
    I was also considering Wacken this year, though the lineup isn't looking too hot.

I for one am awaiting the new Opeth and Wintersun albums more than pretty much anything else this year.
    Meshuggah's new album was ok, but I still prefer the likes of "Catch 33" and "Chaosphere".

Your thoughts?

Page 5 of 364 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast