Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 251 to 263 of 263

Thread: Pika and Goliath (542)

  1. #251
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    This episode sucks, and here's why:

    #12: Pika and Goliath

    This episode begins with the cast eating, when Piplup slaps food from Pikachu's hands. The two rush to get it, when a Pichu eats it in front of them. The Pichu turns out to belong to a guy named Sho, who wants the whole Pichu family (he only has Pichu and Raichu), and also has an annoying voice.. He offeres to trade for Pikachu, but of course Ash declines. So Ash's Pikachu and Sho's Raichu battle it out, and unlike in the Surge Battle, speed can't save Ash this time. In fact, the battle is one-sided, and Pikachu goes down easily after a Hyper Beam to a rock.

    After that, Sho walks away, and Paul is shoehorned into the episode, all to comment that Pikachu should evolve if it wants to stand a chance, then just goes away. Exactly what was the purpose of his appearance? I don't know, either.

    Anyway, we then see them at the Pokemon Center, where everyone is worried about Pikachu. Then, in a rehash of Electric Shock Showdown, Pikachu goes off to train after it gets healed. Also, Team Rocket steals the Thunderstone...to...sell it to go further in their plan to capture Pikachu. Yawn...

    The next day, Ash and Sho have a rematch. As expected, Pikachu wins the second round, though instead of speed this time, he wins through endurance and tactics. Still a rehash...

    Team Rocket cheers in the background, while douchebag Paul just walks away.

    Again, why is he in this episode? Just to stalk Ash? We don't even find out if he still thinks Pikachu should evolve, he's just there for fanservice...or something...

    ...Moving on. Then, like most other episode endings, they say goodbye and walk off into the sunset to continue their journey.

    Conclusion: This episode could have been better if the basic structure wasn't rehashed from Electric Shock Showdown, and if the writers didn't have an undying love for Paul and Team Rocket.
    It was like an improvement of Electric Shock Showdown, the battles were much better(imo at least). + It revealed what happened to that Thunderstone and gave it closure. And why is Paul watching the events a bad thing, it's good that he saw this, since it makes Ash's Pikachu seem more like a threat, might give our main character here a bit more respect. And TR actually had some meaning to the plot, getting rid of the stone, unlike most episodes when they're there just cause they have to appear in every episode. This episode definitely isn't the only Pokemon episode with a "rehashed" plot. At least it introduced a major character trait of Pikachu to the new audiences.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  2. #252
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    It was like an improvement of Electric Shock Showdown, the battles were much better(imo at least). + It revealed what happened to that Thunderstone and gave it closure. And why is Paul watching the events a bad thing, it's good that he saw this, since it makes Ash's Pikachu seem more like a threat, might give our main character here a bit more respect. And TR actually had some meaning to the plot, getting rid of the stone, unlike most episodes when they're there just cause they have to appear in every episode. This episode definitely isn't the only Pokemon episode with a "rehashed" plot. At least it introduced a major character trait of Pikachu to the new audiences.
    The battles here were good, that much I'll admit.

    This definitely isn't the first (or the last) rehash, but this one also isn't good.

    My issue is that unfunny TR and douchebag Paul felt shoehorned for no reason.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    First off, I remember how miserable Sarah Natochenny was in this episode. Extremely forced and unnatural...so that makes it lose points right off the bat.

    What a copy of "Electric Shock Showdown," am I right? The only real improvements were the battles.

    Didn't know Sho was a hillbilly from Japan, either, TPCi.

    Because, you know, they are so much different from 4Kids.

    One of the worst episodes in the whole franchise, and what a way to troll the fandom.

    Nurse Joy couldn't sound any less concerned. SO much emotion in this one, I swear.

    Unacceptable.

    Another point to note: DuArt's dub BGM is absolute crap. Look, I'm sorry, it sucked so much and saps any emotion I may have been able to get from the scenes.

    Dub: 55/100
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 13th June 2013 at 7:05 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    It was like an improvement of Electric Shock Showdown, the battles were much better(imo at least). + It revealed what happened to that Thunderstone and gave it closure. And why is Paul watching the events a bad thing, it's good that he saw this, since it makes Ash's Pikachu seem more like a threat, might give our main character here a bit more respect. And TR actually had some meaning to the plot, getting rid of the stone, unlike most episodes when they're there just cause they have to appear in every episode. This episode definitely isn't the only Pokemon episode with a "rehashed" plot. At least it introduced a major character trait of Pikachu to the new audiences.
    Thank you. Just thank you. I don't know why people complain so much about episodes like these when there are more horrible ones out there. This is way better than anything back in Kanto so it's a step up. The writers have really done wonderfully and I wish some people would see that. The reason why they rehashed the "evolution" plot was to remind new and old viewers that Pikachu wasn't going to evolve anytime soon and that it's just as strong the way it is. They don't make episodes like this so that people can moan and b*tch all the time.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 4th July 2013 at 8:32 PM.

    My ideal battle ever!

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Thank you. Just thank you. I don't know why people complain so much about episodes like these when there are more horrible ones out there.
    Maybe because it sucks? And no one said this was the worst.

    Also, we're not discussing any other episode, we're discussing "Pika and Goliath!".

    This is way better than anything back in Kanto so it's a step up. The writers have really done wonderfully and I wish some people would see that. The reason why they rehashed the "evolution" plot was to remind new and old viewers that Pikachu wasn't going to evolve anytime soon and that it's just as strong the way it is. They don't make episodes like this so that people can moan and b*tch all the time.
    They didn't make the Da! arc, Team Magma/Aqua arc, Johto, etc. so people can complain, but...it happens. Everyone complains about something. They could have reestablished that Pikachu won't evolve in many different, more original ways. Even something more like "Stopped In The Name of Love!" could have worked.

    If you like it more than any Kanto episode, more power to you, I just personally don't.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Maybe because it sucks? And no one said this was the worst.

    Also, we're not discussing any other episode, we're discussing "Pika and Goliath!".



    They didn't make the Da! arc, Team Magma/Aqua arc, Johto, etc. so people can complain, but...it happens. Everyone complains about something. They could have reestablished that Pikachu won't evolve in many different, more original ways. Even something more like "Stopped In The Name of Love!" could have worked.

    If you like it more than any Kanto episode, more power to you, I just personally don't.
    I don't really like the kanto saga either. If you've read any of my comment before that than you'll know. And for your info I was speaking about the Pika and Goliath episode and it's similarity to the one in Kanto. That's all. Jut because some people think it was a rehash shouldn't make a judgment on something over 5 years down the road. I liked this episode, however, with the way it was done was better than in the older saga as far as animation and battles is concerned. The story was done well. Anyone who doesn't see that needs to get their eyes checked.

    My ideal battle ever!

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I don't really like the kanto saga either. If you've read any of my comment before that than you'll know. And for your info I was speaking about the Pika and Goliath episode and it's similarity to the one in Kanto. That's all. Jut because some people think it was a rehash shouldn't make a judgment on something over 5 years down the road. I liked this episode, however, with the way it was done was better than in the older saga as far as animation and battles is concerned. The story was done well. Anyone who doesn't see that needs to get their eyes checked.
    I get your point, but my dislike of this episode isn't just about it being a rehash - it's because it sucks.

    The story might be decent if not compared to ESS, but it's still not that great to me (TR and paul did NOT need to be in it). And what do you mean "get their eyes checked"? Anyone who's seen the episode is qualified to judge how they feel about the plot.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    I get your point, but my dislike of this episode isn't just about it being a rehash - it's because it sucks.

    The story might be decent if not compared to ESS, but it's still not that great to me (TR and paul did NOT need to be in it). And what do you mean "get their eyes checked"? Anyone who's seen the episode is qualified to judge how they feel about the plot.
    First of all TR is in all episodes, so that's not really an issue. But to say an episode sucks and not even look the reason behind it is what makes it sad. They did it to show some kids who might have started watching DP to see why Pikachu is the way it is. They might do the same thing in about another few years later on down the road. The episode wasn't really for those who have watched the OS it's for the recent of aged kids getting to know the anime.

    My ideal battle ever!

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    First of all TR is in all episodes, so that's not really an issue. But to say an episode sucks and not even look the reason behind it is what makes it sad. They did it to show some kids who might have started watching DP to see why Pikachu is the way it is. They might do the same thing in about another few years later on down the road. The episode wasn't really for those who have watched the OS it's for the recent of aged kids getting to know the anime.
    They are in all pre BW and post-PICU episodes, but what I'm saying is that they contributed little to nothing to the plot.

    I know they made it to establish to the new audience that Pikachu will not evolve, but there were so many other ways they could have done it. I mean, I may not like "A Faux Oak Finish", but at least that's not a copy of "Will The Real Professor Oak Please Stand Up?".
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

  10. #260
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Coumarine City
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    This episode's plot was quite similar to the Kanto saga episode "Electric Shock Showdown", but I think this episode has some good points too......
    - It has better animation.
    - Better strategies was used in this episode( Pikachu's Iron tail was cool )
    - The 2nd battle between Pikachu and Raichu was good.
    - That Raichu was more stronger than Lt. Surge's Raichu.
    - Flashbacks from "Electric Shock Showdown" ( at least there was continuity ).
    Pokémon XY


    Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

    Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

  11. #261
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The gym, w/out Ash or Brock...
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Terrible episode. The whole thing was pointless, dubbing was worse than usual, plot was bad even by rehash -standards-.

    I wish they wouldn't start that many episodes with the characters walking together, or eating. Especially if the latter leads to this...

    "Man, that Brock sure can cook!" (Ash) --- Yeah, it's not like he's been tasting his cooking for a LONG TIME.

    When Sho comes it's all downhill. His accent and (un)cool dialogue are just grating. The battle he has with Ash is good, but it's predictable. Ash loses, and Ash has to take it to the Pokemon Center --- JUST LIKE THAT OTHER EPISODE.

    Pikachu runs off to train --- JUST LIKE THAT OTHER EPISODE.

    Ash and Pikachu confront Sho and beat him --- JUST LIKE THAT OTHER EPISODE.

    Sho agrees that maybe Pikachu isn't so bad the way it is --- JUST LIKe...I'm not even going to say it.

    Team Rocket was useless (and annoying) in this episode, instead of them taking the Thunderstone, Sho could have took it and used it to evolve one of his Pokemon and said, "Oops, my Pokemon touched it. Looks your Pikachu's stuck that way." Brock and Dawn were just pretty much in the background, this episode was the Ash vs Sho show. ESS was much the same, but Misty and Brock actually DID SOMETHING.

  12. #262
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ✪ UNOVA ✪
    Posts
    185

    Default

    My favorite 11th season episode

    Claimed EmolgaAS TeamAsk.fm
    #1 Emolga Fan!

  13. #263
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    47,844

    Default

    Another Pikachu glorification episode, as if every other episode isn't enough for him. I loathed the COTD's slang; I could barely take him seriously. Seeing Pichu and Raichu here was cool though, but seeing Pikachu lose to Raichu and suffer a personal crisis involving evolution again was beyond reductive. At least TR made this more endurable.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •