Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pika and Goliath (542)

I found the Jive Turkey absolutely hilarious.

All in all a great episode.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

This was better than "Electric Shock Showdown". Sho was just hilarious with his street talk. Plus he reminds me of that part of the fandom that calls Ash a noob.
    Naomi Tamura- Ready Go! (Pokémon)

Susume! Susume! Kimi to nana iro no niji koete Onward! Onward! Cross the 7 colors of the rainbow with me.
    Ready go! Motto touku! Ready go! Even farther!
    Kumo wo tsuki nuke sora e ta Go through the clouds to the sky!

Hehe, nice episode. I really enjoyed it. Especially Shos slang words which made this episode funny.

Seeing that the writers used someone like Sho really surprised me. I just like how Sho talks, very funny
    Also his attitude, thinking hes all that. Makes me want to do something about that...

Nice battle though. The beginning wasnt much but the second was nice. Nice combinations. Deadly Hyper Beam by the way. Especially that close of an attack. Overall, both battles were great.

Finally TR was successful on stealing something Ash's Thunder Stone which he kept for like what? 5 years?

Again great episode.

8.5/10
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/jb1rmh.jpg[/IMG]
    I claimed Ponyta

I customized these

How are people replying on this from yesterday?

the guy with the raichu and pichus voice was so annoying......

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonHero View Post
    The second battle ranks up there with any of the Gym Battles in my opinion. Very fun to watch and great combinations. It's battles like this one that prove my point about Ash being a very technically-sound trainer.
    Which makes it obvious why Pikachu keeps losing when it could win. If Pikachu would use this battle style more, I'm sure it could win a lot more than it does. And it also seems to me if Ash doesn't train Pikachu like Ash did in this episode somewhat constantly, Pikachu isn't as good as Pikachu could be.

Quote Originally Posted by YukiJadenSurvives View Post
    How are people replying on this from yesterday?
    Different Time Zones
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Loved the battle. Awesome.

Loved the battle. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard_Trainer88 View Post
    the guy with the raichu and pichus voice was so annoying......
    dude,its been awhile since PUSA took over.Get over it.

the battles in thi episode were pretty awesomeAnd its nice to know to see Paul in the episode watching ash's pikachu beating a Raichu.Plus Sho was prety funny-My favourite DP filler character so far.In my opinion,this episode was one of the best in DPBD so far.
    Last edited by Red Jr.; 31st August 2008 at 5:44 AM.

Sho made this episode fun to watch, so far my favorite filler of DP. But can someone explain to me what the title means, "Pika and Goliath?"
    My Team

Made by my good friend Charizard Champion#06
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Puberty is for the weak. I was born a man.
    LOL

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3480 2939 6419
    Pm Me to add.
    PSN ID: CM-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by CharizardMaster View Post
    Sho made this episode fun to watch, so far my favorite filler of DP. But can someone explain to me what the title means, "Pika and Goliath?"
    I think it means that "Goliath"(Raichu) is huge compared to "pika"(pikachu)
    Infact, I think Sho one time said that Raichu was going to win becuase it was huge compared to Pikachu, who is small. Thats just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CharizardMaster View Post
    It's supposed to be hinting at David and Goliath. I really didn't like the title myself. I was hoping for something a little more interesting.

Now being reposted!

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    This episode was pretty much a repeat of the Lt. Surge episode from way back when. It wasn't bad, but it could have been a little more original in the plot department.
    However, those were the only parts of the episode that really stood out from the original. The rest felt like a remake of the first Raichu episode. The formula was exactly the same: Pikachu battles Raichu, Pikachu loses badly, Ash considers letting Pikachu evolve, Pikachu doesn't want to evolve, Pikachu trains on its own, Pikachu rematches Raichu and wins. Oh, and Team Rocket gets sentimental, you can't forget that.

All in all, it was good, but they could have tried to stray a little further from the original.

You have to keep in mind that this issue is not one that just goes away. Part of Pikachu's character background is having this hang-up when it comes to Raichus, much like Meowth's predisposition against all Persians. After ten years and much growth for Pikachu (and thousands of fans on the internet debating it endlessly) the writers needed to reassert Pikachu's devotion to its character. This episode, and its reassessment of Pikachu's character was actually a long time coming. And they did it justice, too!

I was also very impressed with the Pokemon Center scene. It was a more realistic rendition of a hospital scene than I'd ever seen in the show before (which, admittedly, isn't saying much). I was a little surprised at how bad pikachu's condition was after the battle.

The animation in the episode was very good - two different movements going on at once, both done realistically, is not something this show usually does (ex. Pikachu flailing its arms while falling). The movement was great, except when Pikachu hit the rock the first time - it exploded too quickly, and there was almost no rubble.
    Yes, yes, agreed. This was the single most dire Pokemon Center situation the anime has ever let us see. The closest situation I can think of is Pikachu's condition at the very beginning of the Hoenn arc. The fact that they showed us Pikachu's heart rate falling (!) and Nurse Joy using the defibrilators
    was excellent. They meant to give this episode some weight.

Also, nice catch with the animation! Much of the battling animations this episode were impeccable, yes.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

when i heard his voice l though he must have some serious problems.....
    Greg

I think Sho was the first trainer in the anime that spoke in ebonics?
    Pokemon Diamond FC
    Name: Shigeru
    FC: 0817 6096 0430

What a emotional, terrific and wonderful episode!

There would be so many aspects you could mention, but I´m trying to limit myself to reviewing only the most important ones:

First of all, I simply detested this kind of talking of Mr. Sho, although most of you seem to have liked it. Well, I conceivably dislike it because it always reminds me of those damned so-called "gangsta-kids" who you unfortunately meet on almost every corner of a street. But actually that´s only an insignificant aspect for the review of this episode.

Let´s rather concentrate on the battles themselves:
    Because of this mean trainer and his Raichu, which obviously was as mean as well, the humiliating defeat heavily engraved itself on Pikachu´s mind and, in my opinion, that accounts for Ash´s best friend having to suffer so much while it was treatened by Nurse Joy. It wasn´t the physical pain (Pikachu is a tough guy who has got used to taking lots of hits over the years) but the psychical one which tormented our little friend so much that you couldn´t help feeling pity for him.
    The sader the first half of the episode was, the bigger the satisfaction was when Pikachu, after having overcome its inner doubts, finally defeated its mighty opponent.
    The battle strategy was unique and I fully agree with user Profesco who claimed:
    If we get more battles like this one in the future, then I can't think of anything I would rather do than continue to play audience to this show.
    You´ve got to admit that the writers definitely thought up a decent, profound strategy!
    What is the strenght of Pikachu?
    First, its speed and agility (determined by its stature) and second, its amazing attack power (because of Ash´s training and its countless battles throughout the years)
    So, how do you use Pikachu in a battle most effectively?
    By using the aforementioned first two advantages to dodge until your opponent makes a mistake (ex. until he stumbles) and then by returning with a massive Thunderbolt, Iron Tail or Volttackle.
    It was exactly what the writers made Pikachu do in this episode and although it was only a "normal" training battle, you surely may rank it alongside the terrific 3rd gym battle!!

I´m wondering what went through Paul´s mind when he was watching the battle, hidden behind the trees. I´m sure he secretly envied Ash for being better than he exspected. Ash´s victory surely made him be furious about his own over-hasty judgement of Ash´s skills.
    He who laughs last, laughs honest !

Furthermore I´m pleased that Pikachu remains the same cute but powerful mouse Pokemon we all know and love.
    Just imagine a heavy Raichu sitting on Ash´s shoulder! Poor guy, your shoulder would surely be aching horribly every evening

P.S. What did Meowth say at the end of the episode when Team Rocket celebrated Pikachu´s glorious victory? It was like "the little guy....head" but I unfortunately wasn´t able to understand the whole saying acoustically.

Well they keep on airing one fantastic episode after another and for today´s story I´ll cast
    8 out of 10 points!
    Last edited by ash_forever; 31st August 2008 at 5:30 PM.
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999

Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

Ash you suck, you can defeat champions with legendaries but can't beat some wigger kid.

I originally had a nice thought out response to put here and had submitted it, but the goddamned forums decided to give the ol' 500 server error.

So... I will attempt to rewrite what I said yesterday, but chances are I'll leave some of the minor ranting out (not that I really would).

Firstly, the trainer we meet today isn't your typical and made me think that Sinnoh must be full of really "hardcore" trainers. I was a little annoyed by his lingo, but after a while I just went with it, mostly because it rather fitted his character.

Oh, and now I can almost not blame Team Rocket too badly for their persistence with attempting to steal Pikachu. This guy pretty much points out that it's "somewhat unique" and all. Though, I am getting a bit tired of ignorant trainers thinking that every Pokemon on it's own is wild... which is exactly what he did.

The actual battle was a bit harsh, and I personally think that guy was a little "over the top" with his style of battling. I mean, training your Pokemon to actually pin down his opponent before firing off an almost point blank Hyper Beam is a bit... much. In all honesty, I sincerely don't think Paul would even go that far (let's not go that way, it was just a point, please don't feel the need to elaborate and to "fully explain it". Let's just move on).

I have probably never seen as much drama in the Pokemon Center scene in the entire series. And with 500+ episodes in the series, that's pretty... odd. Although, I have this strange impression that this show is indeed targeted to a specific audience now. I mean, the type of kids that would watch this show don't usually have the attention span we have and probably haven't been around for more than 10 years. So, it's partially understandable that the writers decided to "throw in" the whole ThunderStone concept almost out of thin air, kind of like how it just magically appeared. Are they trying to say that for more than 450 episodes Ash has had this thing with him the entire time?? He could have potentially used it on another Pokemon by now, heck, he could have easily given it to someone by then. Hell, May's Eevee could have evolved to a Jolteon with it. [/end rant]

Now, I know Team Rocket isn't always that terrible, and considering they'll "help" the "twerps" when they actually can, the whole "stealing Thunder Stone to prevent evolution" really is something I could actually see them doing. Oh, and how much is a Thunder Stone worth in the games anyway? I remember Meowth mentioning they could sell it. I know it's not Nugget worth, but it's still up there.

I thought it was neat how the end battle was essentially doing the same thing "ESS" did, but to a different goal. Yes, the whole Pikachu's speed was an obvious thing, but many aspects were kept. Even then, I still felt that battle was a heck of a lot better than the one before and even ESS (of course, 4th gen battle mechanics compared to 1st gen battle mechanics does help). I really enjoyed it and for once decided to ignore the whole type similarity thing and just focus on the battle itself; something I don't often do. People might criticize the bgm, the dubbing, and all those little things that are becoming a broken record to me, but I critize the similarity to the games. Even if I am fully aware that the games=/=show. I still like to at least go with typing when I can, even if it is often ommitted.

And now, the one shocker (no pun intended) I was not aware of, Paul's appearance in the episode. His first appearance would equal pretty much "insult to injury". However, I did find it amusing that he actually watched the second battle between Ash and Sho. Not sure what that means, but I know I won't the one to stare at it with a Microscope.

Overall, a great episode even better than last weeks. Keep it up!!

~C_L~

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

This episode was good. I found the Raichu trainer to be one of the most annoying trainers I’ve ever seen on the show. The battle between Raichu and Pikachu was a little boring since they have near similar moves, but Hyper Beam was a little surprising (it was also painful to be hit with a direct Hyper Beam). Paul’s cameo was a little random. It was also random and a little surprising that Ash had kept the Thunder Stone since the Kanto days. It was cool to see Pikachu destroy yet another Raichu.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

Well, as far as I remember, Ash never really wanted to loose the opportunity to evolve Pikachu, and he has so far been given so many things and not lost them, or had his pack get an bigger, so it's a bottomless pit full of anything you can ever remember him getting. Why would he have lost the ThunderStone...

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2qnqtyf.jpg[/IMG]
    Looks like I might be here to stay...

PASBL Trainer Level: 4 | 26-12-8 | 77 KO's | 199 TP | 0 SP
    PASBL Referee (C+)
    | Squad | League Table |

[.:Badges:.]
    Reffing Badge
    Onslaught Badge

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDragon trainer View Post
    This episode was good. I found the Raichu trainer to be one of the most annoying trainers I’ve ever seen on the show. The battle between Raichu and Pikachu was a little boring since they have near similar moves, but Hyper Beam was a little surprising (it was also painful to be hit with a direct Hyper Beam). Paul’s cameo was a little random. It was also random and a little surprising that Ash had kept the Thunder Stone since the Kanto days. It was cool to see Pikachu destroy yet another Raichu.
    I personally loved how the music played out in this episode. For some reason it really became quite emotional and stuff. Excellently done!

Speaking of Paul, I think it was almost a necessity for him to make a short appearance. After all, that "straight up" guy with the Raichu was pretty much on Paul's side with the arrogance and such, but also to demonstrate to Paul that Ash will never listen to his so-called advice.

But it's such a pitty that the Thunderstone is now in Team Rocket's possession. I just hope they don't actually sell it and sort of just have it in their back pocket.

Pikachu is a ninja mouse!
    3DS Friend Code: 2079-6549-2981
    "Let's trade and battle!" - *message me first*
    I am a shadow, I seek the ways of Hadou.
    I'll have you know, I am a Lucario.

I have to agree with what a lot of people have been saying, this was a great episode. It had great drama, awesome battles, nothing bad from Team Rocket (yay!), and it built on continuity from a previous episode. I liked the part where Meowth compared Pikachu not wanting to evolve to himself, saying that he's only going to evolve to the boss's lap. LOL I also liked when Dawn gets confused by Sho's grand introduction.

I know before watching the episode, I was wondering why, if Ash still had the thunderstone from 530 episodes ago, why did it not show up when his bag spilled in "Outrageous Fortunes" (but the king's rock from a few episodes back that Poliwhirl used to evolve did)? Well, now that I see it was in a pouch, maybe I'll take a second look at that episode to see if I can spot the pouch. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by wobbanut; 1st September 2008 at 8:19 PM.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/18 NEW!! 10/19 NEW!! 10/22 NEW!! 10/28
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Must...kill...sho..

*shakes head*

Erm, Anyways..=/
    I thought this episode was pretty decent...aside from...one aspect *seeaboveseeaboveseeabove*
    decent dub music, All scenes kept in tact (I honestly thought they were gonna take out the pokemon center scene), nice battles. I'm just a bit disappointed they removed the Johto music from the 2nd battle. =[

*~Openly Gay and Proud~*

I know I asked for a character to over do it. I do not regret this.

Ash is a noob. What else is new?

Okay. Sho is Jay, Pichu is Silent Bob, and Raichu is their driver.

You lose Pikachu, present your rectum.

I'm glad Paul took some time off his of his being-an-*** schedule to watch this battle.

Scrunched face in a hospital bed. Classic Pika.

Pika, yous a busta!

7/10 Not even sure what I enjoyed so much. Oh right, battles.

Sho was so awesome. He's probably my favorite one-time character so far. Also he talks like my World History teacher xD

The battle was cool too.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast