Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Chronicles (PG-13)

Default The Twilight Chronicles (PG-13)

This is my second fanfic. It is based off the Mystery Dungeon games. A few notes:

-There will be violence. That's why this will be rated PG-13.

-It is based off the games, but not dependent on the games. You'll see right away.

-All critisim and comments are welcome. I have not been writing fan fics a long time and advice really helps out.

-I will attempt to get one chapter a week up, but some weeks it may take longer due to real world conflicts.

Table of Contents
    Prologue: The Cliffs by the Sea
    Chapter 1: A New Beginning
    Chapter 2: Team Twilight
    Chapter 3: Burning Ambition
    Chapter 4: Welcome to the Team
    Chapter 5: Confrontation
    Chapter 6: The Way It Starts
    Chapter 7: Strange Feelings
    Chapter 8: Taking Care of Business
    Chapter 9: A Long Day's Night

Enough talking for me. I now present...The Twilight Chronicles

Prologue: The Cliffs by the Sea

Zach sighed and looked back at the town. I am never going back, he thought. Normally a moment like this would make him feel emotional. But this was different. He felt no remorse for leaving this town, even though it was where he grew up. He had nothing left there. No friends, no family, not even a person who knew his name.

His clothes were worn out greatly. His jeans had numerous holes in them, and his T-shirt was gray, though when he first got the shirt it was red. His brown hair was very unkempt and his shoes barely fit. Yet he stood there like he was one of the heroes of old off on a quest.

He put this out of his mind and looked out ahead of him. In front of where he stood, not even a hundred yards away, a sheer cliff dropped down to the sea below, rocks jutting out from the sea bottom at its base. But from where he stood the views were amazing. The setting sun created sharp contrasts on the surface of the sea as rolled towards the cliffs.

One era of my life ends, he thought looking out over the sea, and another begins. He started strolling down a path. On his right was the cliff that led to the sea; on the left there was a patch of woods. Due to the terrain this was the only place a path could be put, running parallel between where the forest ends and the sea begins.

Zach sat down against a giant rock and took off his backpack. He pulled out a sandwich and started eating. No one will miss me, he thought and he knew that he was right. He ran away from the orphanage in the town, where he had lived since he was nine. Now fifteen, he was tired of being held down.

He used to have a family: a mother and a father. However, one rainy day, Zach and his parents were driving home when their car was hit head on. His parents were killed instantly, yet he somehow escaped without injury. Many times Zach found himself, especially on rainy nights, wondering why he survived, why hadn’t he died like the rest of his family? As the times passed, his memories of his parents had faded. He somewhat remembered their faces, full of compassion and caring. But they grew bleary over time.

Tears filled his eyes as he thought about them. He wiped his tears. The orphanage was horrible. It was so crowded that at times many kids would not even have beds to sleep on. Many families had come on looked at the kids during his time there. Not once had any of them inquired about him. He wasn’t the best looking of the kids and he wasn’t gifted in any sort of way. He was a quiet person, modest in action. Many times he had given up his bed to a younger kid or someone who was new. He felt their pain, even if they couldn’t feel his. None of them talked to him, none tried to form friendships. They knew that forming friendships made it a lot tougher for them to find a home.

Now here he was, sitting in the world, without anyone looking after him. This is how he preferred it now. He would look after himself and try to accomplish his greatest goal: to become the greatest Pokemon trainer, a dream he had held since his parents were still alive. This goal was now more important than ever to him. It was his major connection to his parents, a way to feel their presence.

Zach was off to the nearest town. There was the lab of a professor who had given many new trainers in the region their starting Pokemon. He thought about what Pokemon he wanted to get. I always wanted a Chimchar, he thought, remembering a Chimchar that his former neighbors used to have. He was an amusing Pokemon, often making faces at people behind their backs and having fun. That is the Pokemon I want, he decided, someone who is carefree and fun. He settled down to rest his tired body.

Just as he was starting to relax, a loud cry pierced the evening air and Zach’s ears. He looked around him for the source of the noise. Suddenly a flurry of action came pouring out of the woods. A Chimchar came staggering out and ran towards the boulder where Zach was sitting. Before he could make, a large dog-like Pokemon landed in front of him and cut him off. A Houndoom, Zach thought, looking at the large Pokemon’s jet-black fur and horn-like ears. The poor Chimchar turned around to go back into the woods, but two more Houndoom jumped out and blocked his escape path.

Zach could only watch as the three Houndoom attacked at once, biting and tossing it in the air like a rag doll. Chimchar had no way to defend the attacks. They’re going to kill that Chimchar, he started to think, why do they want to kill it? What has it done to them? The Houndoom backed off for a break in the attack. Chimchar laid flat on the ground, barely breathing. If he stood up, the Houndoom would finish him for sure. They stood watching their prey, eyes blazing with the desire to kill. Zach decided that it was time to act.

He reached down and picked up a few medium sized stones. Then he stepped out from behind the rock.

“Hey you!” he shouted at the pack, “Pick on someone your own size.”

At once all three Houndoom turned to face Zach. They looked even more savage than they had from the behind the rock. Now or never, he thought. He wound up and threw one of his stones at the closest Houndoom. The stone hit the ground in front of it. Now the Houndoom came charging at Zach, their desire to kill directed at the new target.

“Oh crap,” he muttered under his breath as the Houndoom charged at him, “I forgot about this.” Immediately, he started to climb the giant rock. He looked back at where Chimchar laid. The poor Pokemon was breathing heavy and unable to stand.

“Chimchar!” Zach yelled to the Pokemon, “Get out of here! This is your chance.” However, Chimchar couldn’t stand up. He’s too tired and beat up, he thought sadly, How can I save him?

A sharp pain interrupted his thoughts. One of the Houndoom grabbed his left ankle and was pulling him down off the rock. Zach tried desperately to kick off Houndoom with his free leg. Houndoom, however was too strong. He was dragged down to the ground and found himself surrounded by the three Houndoom. Now what? he now thought, cornered against the rock. His hand found his backpack lying next to him on the ground. It gave him an idea.

Without hesitating, he grabbed the backpack and stood up. Holding onto one of the straps, Zach swung it around in a large, looping arch in front of him. He hit one of Houndoom in the face and sent it staggering backwards towards the edge of the cliff. Zach now threatened the other two with the backpack. They backed up to where their comrade had landed, hoping to avoid being hit. Now Zach was forcing all three Houndoom backward towards the edge of the cliff. It’s actually working, he thought, continuing to pressure the three backward.

However one of the Houndoom noticed how close to the edge they were getting. It decided that enough was enough and went after Zach. He swung the bag with all his might at the charging Pokemon, but he missed. Houndoom launched himself on top of Zach and started ripping at his already sore and cut-up body. The others two cried triumphantly when they saw this opportunity and attacked as well.

Zach wouldn’t give up. “I will not die this way!” he yelled out. He started kicking and punching at the Houndoom that were attacking. He grabbed one of them by its horn-like ears and, using most of his strength, tossed it off of him. They were now right at the edge of the cliff. You could clearly see the waves crash violently against the rocks below.

Suddenly, the ground started to buckle and crumble beneath Zach and the Houndoom. Before anyone could react, the ground gave way. All of them were sent plummeting down. The Houndoom cried out in fear for their lives. Zach, however remained silent.

So this is how I die, he thought morosely, as the rocks grew closer, Is this why I didn’t die in that car wreck? So I could die doing something more important? Was I never meant to live a happy life? Was I never supposed to have…a family?

He sighed. “At least I died doing good.”

After he said this, his body landed into the sea below and was sent crashing against a giant rock. He felt great pain through his body. Then everything went black and he felt no more.

Chimchar stood up and looked to where the boy was just standing. He had just watched as the cliff gave out below him and sent him and the Houndoom falling down to the sea below.

No, he thought, as he staggered to where the ground gave way. No, please no. He can’t be…No way. He looked down the cliff to the waters below. In the twilight, all he could see was churning sea crashing into the rocks below. Chimchar could see no signs of the boy or the Houndoom that had pursued him.

Then, a little ways down, he spotted something. At one place, a beach had formed at the base of the cliffs, as the cliffs had eroded greatly there. A large object had just washed up upon the sands. Could it be…?

Chimchar ran to where the cliff was shortest at this area. Then, slowly as to not fall himself, he climbed down the cliff face to beach below. He was exhausted when he reached the bottom, but when he saw what the object was, he forgot about any pain or tiredness he felt. He staggered to where it lay. When he realized what it was he sat down next to it, put his head on its chest, and started to cry.

It was the boy’s body.

“Why…” Chimchar choked up between tears, “why did you do this? Why did you try to save me? Why didn’t you run away when things got bad?”

He knew no response would come from the boy, but he couldn’t help asking these questions. Never had he seen anyone, human or Pokemon, give up so much to do something for someone so poor and weak. He continued to cry until he felt like no more tears would come out.

Someone like me, he thought, a feeling of guilt overwhelming him. He had known better than to enter the Houndoom’s territory, but he did anyway. He knew he couldn’t fight back against the Houndoom, yet he tried to fight them and was sorely beaten. This boy, without a single thought for his own safety, raced to protect him. My stupidity had cost the life of an innocent human.

Chimchar wiped his nose and looked up at the sky. Darkness had now fallen, and the first stars started to appear. Though he couldn’t see it from where he sat, the moon was beginning to rise high in the sky behind him.

He looked pleadingly towards the heavens and folded his hands in a reverent sort of way. “Please,” he began to speak, “if someone, anyone can hear me. Please someone help this boy’s soul so it dies forever. Please, I beg. He gave his life up to protect me. Don’t let this be it for him. Someone…please…”

Suddenly, a bright pulsating ball of light appeared in front of Chimchar. It was small at first, about the size of a small Cheri berry. But it grew in size exponentially into a large orb, twice as big as his head. This large orb then split into three orbs of the same size. Chimchar watched amazed by what he was seeing, as these orbs morphed into three Pokemon, floating in the air. Chimchar immediately recognized that these were the legendary Pokemon of the lakes of Sinnoh: Azelf, the “Being of Willpower” and guardian of Lake Valor; Mespirit, the “Being of Emotion” and guardian of Lake Verity; and Uxie, the “Being of Knowledge” and guardian of Lake Acuity. They had been created by the Original One to keep the world in balance. Chimchar turned his eyes away, feeling greatly unworthy of being in their presence.

“Why do you look away from us?” Mespirit inquired of him, speaking kindly and with caring. “It is all alright to look. Do not be afraid.” Chimchar turned to face the three in front of him. Mespirit had a gentle smile on her face directed towards him. The others, however, had more serious looks on their faces.

“We heard your crying and your prayer,” Uxie said, “and we have come to help.”

“You…you…you have?” Chimchar responded gratefully, “I…I…don’t know what to say…th…thank…thank you.”

“However,” Azelf spoke in a commanding voice, “we cannot make any guarantees. It is not our decision to make.”

“That’s right,” Uxie said, “That is up to someone more powerful than us.”

“Is that him over there?”

Chimchar nodded. “Yes that is him.”

Azelf looked at Uxie and both nodded in agreement. “We shall take him with us,” Azelf said, “and try to convince the Original One to reprieve his soul and give him a new life.” With that Azelf grabbed the boy’s arms while Uxie grabbed his legs. Then the two of them disappeared along with the body. Mespirit was about to follow them when Chimchar grabbed her arm.

“Please,” Chimchar begged, down on his knees, “let me come with you. Let me help.”

Mespirit shook her head. “Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do. Only Azelf, Uxie, and myself can really do this. The Original One created us when the world began, and not many other beings can approach him like us. I am very sorry.”

Chimchar’s head hung in disappointment. Mespirit puts her hands on his shoulders.

“Don’t worry,” Mespirit assured him, “We will make sure that he gets another chance. You, my friend, need to get rest. You’ve had a very long and stressful day. Good bye.”

Mespirit turned away from Chimchar and disappeared into the darkness, following the others. Chimchar was now alone the beach. He looked at the cliff face that towered above him. There’s no way I can climb back up, he thought feeling the pains of battle from earlier. He looked and found a pile of leaves nearby. Quietly, he set to work making a bed out of the leaves in a spot protected from the wind. As he fell asleep, two words left his lips, two words he wished that he had said to the boy before he died or to Mespirit before leaving…

“Thank you…”

<End Prologue>
    Last edited by PokemonHero; 17th March 2009 at 8:18 PM. Reason: Table of Contents

Now being reposted!

......wowww.......

*snaps out of daze* AWESOME! I can tell that this is going to be an amazing fanfic. I especially like how emotional it is....*sniff* (JK!!) Only complaint is a few VERY minor grammatical errors, but that's not any big problem. I could probably PM you on those.

(And I think I can guess which Pokemon Zach'll become. PM'ing. 8) )

Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien

whoa...nice. all that can be said is...nice.
    My BW FC: 5415 4027 8943

Nice fanfic different from other PMD fanfics because pokemon were seen by Zach before he died. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Nice. Very nice. This fic has a great potential, what with the few gramatical errors and good flow. I'll be watching!

~KingT
    My LeafGreen Scramble Challenge-
    Whirlwind Lv.24
    Lily Lv. 21
    Nexus Lv.10
    Where-Cerulean training Nexus
    My Brawl and Wii Codes
    Wii- 5954 4612 0258 5882
    Brawl- 4811-6624-6176 Diamond- 2836 1459 1980
    PM TO EXCHANGE CODES!

" width="468" height="100">

Nice, I really like this one. I actually cried when he fell off the cliff.

Post more. Or Momoko'll blast you with his Hyper Beam. (JK!!!!)

--Sabre
    <--This is my Dragonite in training, Momoko. ^_^ PM me to level him up or give him a Poffin (he likes any flavor) Level: 0 Happiness: 0

Thank you guys for reading this. I'm hoping to get a new chapter up this weekend. I have to help out with parking for the Bay Bridge Boat Show for band on Saturday, though, but I'm hoping to start typing tonight so I should get it done by the weekend.

Now being reposted!

Well, a fanfic that can actually hold my attention. That says something.

Overall you have a very good and emotional start here. There are a few places where the wording seemed sort of clunky to me, but nothing too major and it didn’t really detract from the story. The strong point was, of course, the emotional impact with Zach’s backstory and death and all. I hope we see that Chimchar again, but since the lake trio didn’t take it with them... Well, I suppose there’s always hope it’ll somehow meet up with Zach in his Pokémon form later on. Maybe the lake trio will reconsider?

*Sits and watches for the next chapter*

hey great story I can't wait to read the next chapter! Can you guys do me a favor and check my Fan fic out it should be on page 3 thanks!
    Ok guys, I'm deleting Pokemonazzling Sinnoh. I'm doing this because I want people to like the very 1st chapter I make without me editing it. You guys won't be disappointed.

Well, after a bit brainstorming at school (I think I took more notes for this story then I did actual useful notes for class) and some typing at home, I have the first chapter. This is shorter than the Prologue. Once again, all comments and suggestions are welcome, as I will attempt to make this the best story I possibly can.

Without further to do, I present...

Chapter 1: A New Beginning

“Is he breathing?”

“I don’t know. Let’s move closer.”

Zach slowly opened up his eyes. Where am I? He was looking up at a perfect blue sky above him. He could see the tops of leafy green trees towering high above him. He could hear the sound of running water, which he guessed was from a nearby creek. It was warm, yet a cool breeze swept across his body, making him shiver a little.

He sat up and started to rub his head, which had a dull ache. He thought he heard voices, but believed they were in his head. “What’s going on here?”

A Pokemon walked up next to him. It looked very much like a dog and had very thick brown and white fur. Its black eyes looked at Zach with curiosity. “You mean you don’t know how you ended up here?” a female voice asked. But it didn’t come from a person; it came from the Pokemon.

Zach did a double-take, “Did…you…did you just talk?”

“Yeah,” she answered, as though it seemed quite obvious, “My name’s Eevee, what’s yours?”

Zach crawled away from Eevee as quickly as possible. “But…but…you’re not supposed to talk.”

“Well, her mouth is moving isn’t it?” a new voice responded from behind him. This was a strong male voice. Zach turned around and found himself staring at what looked like a blue-green dinosaur with large green bulb on its back. “My name’s Bulbasaur by the way.”

Zach tried to convince himself that he hadn’t heard him. “Okay, this is a joke, right? Someone’s idea of a sick joke by making me believe that Pokemon can talk?”

Eevee started to walk over towards Zach. “You’re a Pokemon too. You know that right? Maybe you need some more rest. You might have…”

“I’m not a Pokemon! I’m a human!” Zach yelled at her angrily, cutting her off. She stopped where she was standing.

“Uh, let’s see…” Bulbasaur started, looking over Zach, “Red hair all over your body. Flaming butt. Giant ears. Eyes disproportional with the rest of your head. Either you are some midget human dressed in a Chimchar costume, or you’re a Chimchar.”

“But I’m not…”

“Look,” Bulbasaur cut Zach off, “Look at your reflection over in the creek. Maybe that will convince you.” He pointed in the direction of the sound of the running water.

“Fine,” Zach conceded, bringing himself to his feet. For some odd reason, he felt very short. He walked over towards the creek and got on his knees. What if they’re telling the truth, he thought to himself. No, they can’t be telling the truth, it can’t be true. Slowly, he looked into the water.

A Chimchar’s face reflected back at him.

They hadn’t been lying. I am really am a Chimchar. He fell backward and sat on the ground. “But I’m a human. This has got to be a dream,” he cried, burying his head into his hands, “It can’t be anything else. It’s gotta be a dream…”

Eevee walked over to Zach and sat down next to him on his left. “This isn’t a dream,” she said, putting a paw onto his shoulder, “I don’t know what’s going on with you. Are you okay?”

Zach shook his head, “I just woke up here. I can’t remember anything. The only things I know are my name and that I am human.”

“Nothing else?”

“No,” Zach said sadly, “nothing. I really want to know what’s going on.”

Bulbasaur walked over to Zach and Eevee. “From the looks of things, we know just about as much as you do.”

Zach looked at Eevee and Bulbasaur. There were genuine looks of concern on their faces. Obviously, they were worried about him. He had a question to ask, something that had really been bugging him the whole time. “Do you believe me?”

They looked confused. “About what?” Eevee asked.

“About me being human. Do you believe me?”

Bulbasaur nodded, “Yes, we believe you. Something about the way you acted seemed…”

“…odd,” Eevee finished. “You seem quite intent on believing you are human. Plus, its kinda strange you just appeared here with no memory.”

“Thanks,” Zach sighed, relieved, “I thought I was going insane.”

“Well there is still that possibility…”

“Hey…”

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding,” Eevee chuckled.

“That’s not funny,” Zach responded sternly, but he wasn’t angry. In actuality he felt much more relaxed now. They believe me. Maybe this isn’t as bad as I thought…

Bulbasaur tapped Eevee’s shoulder. “We’ve got to get back to the village. We still need to find our last member for our Rescue Squad.”

Eevee looked back at Bulbasaur and nodded, “Right.” She looked over to Zach. “You should come with us. We can find somewhere for you to stay in the village until you can find somewhere to live permanently. Unless of course, you want to stay in the woods…”

Zach was confused. “Pokemon have villages?”

“Oh yeah, I forgot you’re new around here,” Eevee started, “Yes, there are villages. Humans just have no way to get to them.”

Zach thought about it for a moment. The village sounded very interesting. Plus there would be many other Pokemon there. Maybe someone there could help him.

“Alright,” Zach replied, “I’ll come with you guys. I’ve got nowhere else to go.”

“Awesome,” Bulbasaur said, running past Zach, “Last one to the village is a rotten Exeggcute!”

“Wait up,” Eevee yelled after Bulbasaur, running after him.

Zach stood there for a moment and shrugged. This is gonna be interesting, he thought to himself, as he ran off after the others.

<End Chapter 1>
    Last edited by PokemonHero; 15th May 2008 at 2:45 AM.

Now being reposted!

Nice Prolouge. Very emotional, and the flow is nice, length is good too. I believe everything has been said by other members, so I'll start with Chapter 1.

Compared to the prolouge, it is pretty short like you said, so you may want to try lengthening it out a bit more. It's still fine however.

“Uh, let’s see…” Bulbasaur started, looking over Zach, “Red hair all over your body. Flaming butt. Giant ears. Eyes disproportional with the rest of your head. Either you are some midget human dressed in a Chimchar costume, or you’re a Chimchar.”
    Lawl! I love this description XD Bulbasaur is rather blunt, ne?

Click above to view
    Chapter 5 Up!
    Pleasedon'teatme...
    Banner made by me.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonHero View Post
    -----
    “Thanks,” Zach sighed, relieved, “I thought I was going insane.”

“Well there is still that possibility…”

“Hey…”

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding,” Eevee chuckled.
    Ha, I love these quotes. Funny. I can tell that this fanfic definitely has some growing potential. (...can't help but wonder what happened to the Chimchar from the prologue, though. ) Anways, I'll be watching for more. As you can expect.

~~K_B

Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Talking

Really good start. I love the description of Chimchar. I can figure out why the boy ended up a Chimchar. At the beginning, Zach sounded Emo. Well anyways,keep up the story, I love it so far.
    Ok guys, I'm deleting Pokemonazzling Sinnoh. I'm doing this because I want people to like the very 1st chapter I make without me editing it. You guys won't be disappointed.

@Glitch: I'm glad you like it so far. I know that it was short. I was thinking of adding something on there, but I couldn't decide how best to do it. And yes, Bulbasaur can be rather blunt.

@Koridojo_Blaziken: Glad you like the quotes as well. Don't worry about Chimchar from the Prologue. We will see him again, but it may not be for a while.

@LeafiaTamer: So you think you figured it out? We'll have to see. As for Zach being emo, I didn't really intend for him to sound or be emo. But I can see where you got the idea though. He's more or less gone through incredible hard times in his life and has had a hard time trying to figure out why things happened the way they did.

Now I will be out-of-town camping again this weekend (have no idea why the leaders scheduled two trips in three weekends), but I will try to get the next chapter up by Sunday afternoon. At least that's if something doesn't happen. Again.

Now being reposted!

Well, after countless hours of thinking and writing (and the disruption of a camping trip in between) I have finished Chapter 2. Unlike last chapter, there are not really any funny quotes. It is slightly longer than last chapter, but still shorter than the Prologue. I am pretty tired from the weekend and I really wanted to finish this chapter, but I hope that you still like it. I promise to make the next chapter longer. And as always, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

And now I present...

Chapter 2: Team Twilight

“I told you we should’ve taken a left at the tree back there.”

“No, we’re going the right way. This takes you past the lake and to the village.”

“You’re wrong. We needed to take a left to get to the lake.”

“What is about you and left turns?”

“I like lefts…”

Zach sighed. He had been listening to Bulbasaur and Eevee argue as the three of them walked along a seemingly endless path. Maybe I should have stayed back where I was, he thought to himself, but he quickly shook it from his mind. He had nowhere else to go and they had been eager to help him out. And they actually believe me…

Zach hadn’t been paying attention to the path and nearly fell over a rock that jutted out in front of him. Quickly, he regained his composure and continued walking. Neither Eevee or Bulbasaur had noticed what happened; they were still arguing about directions.

“…I told you,” Eevee said, gritting her teeth, “we are going the right way.”

“But we aren’t,” Bulbasaur retorted, “We needed to go…”

Before Bulbasaur could finish, Zach broke in. “Could you two just stop arguing?” he asked the two of them. They stopped and looked back at Zach.

“Sorry, uh…” Bulbasaur started, but he had to stop. Zach realized why.

“Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you my name. It’s Zach.”

“Okay Zach. Sorry.”

“That’s a nice name,” Eevee said thoughtfully, “I guess your parents named you that.”

“I guess,” Zach replied, rubbing the back of his head as he walked over to the others. “I don’t remember how I got it. I just know that it’s Zach.”

“Oh yeah,” Eevee said quietly to herself, remembering that Zach had no memory of being human. “I shouldn’t have said that.”

“What was that?”

“Nothing. Nothing…”

Zach shrugged and they resumed walking along the path towards what they thought (or at least what Eevee and Zach thought) was the way out of the woods. Zach decided to try and learn more about the world he was in now.

“So you guys said you were trying to find a final member for what now?” he asked curiously, remembering the conversation that Eevee and Bulbasaur had earlier.

“A Rescue Squad,” Eevee replied excitedly, “Bulbasaur and I have been trying to form one for a while now.”

“But what exactly is a Rescue Squad?”

“You’re joking right?” Bulbasaur asked him with a curious look.

“Well remember I’m kinda new and all…”

“Right, sorry,” Bulbasaur apologized. Then he explained to Zach what a Rescue Squad was. “Basically, there are disasters and accidents happening constantly around us. So there are groups of Pokemon called Rescue Squads who go out and rescue other Pokemon and try to solve what is causing the problems.”

Eevee nodded. “A few years ago there were many disasters involving the weather. But that problem was solved and recently, things have been a little quieter.”

“But,” Bulbasaur continued, “there are still accidents and Pokemon that need to be rescued. And that’s where Eevee and I come in. We are, well we will be when we get our last member, Team Twilight...”

“Cool name,” Zach broke in.

“Yeah, I thought that you might like it.” Bulbasaur went on to explain all aspects of Rescue Squads, from the Dungeons to the Missions and Rewards. Zach listened with great interest.

Wow, Zach thought, that sounds kind of exciting. “Maybe I could be that last person…er…I mean Pokemon,” he suggested, changing the last part of what he said. Darn it Zach, you have to think like a Pokemon. You’re a Pokemon now.

“I’m sorry man,” Bulbasaur told Zach promptly, “but we’re kinda looking for someone with a little more experience. No offense to you, but we want to get started right away.”

“I hope you understand,” Eevee said to consul him.

“Don’t worry, I understand,” Zach replied with some disappointment, “Maybe I could find another Squad later.”

Bulbasaur nodded. “There’s plenty around. You should be able to find a Squad

The group had now reached break in the woods. A large, crystal-clear lake spread out in front of them. The water rippled gently and the reeds by the shore swayed in the breeze.

“Ha,” Eevee chortled triumphantly, looking at Bulbasaur, “I told you we were going the right way.”

“Get off it,” Bulbasaur replied.

But before another argument could begin, a rumbling sound interrupted them. Eevee and Bulbasaur looked back at Zach.

“Sorry,” he apologized to them, “Guess I’m hungry.”

“Yeah I’m hungry too,” Bulbasaur said, smiling.

“Look,” Eevee said, pushing past Zach and Bulbasaur towards a bush. “Oran Berries!” Sure enough, Zach could see numerous blue berries ripe for the harvest on the bush Eevee was running towards. She began picking a few off the bush. “Here, try some,” offering some of the Oran Berries to them.

Zach heard something unwinding from behind him. A vine whipped past Zach head. He had just ducked at the last second to avoid being hit by it. The vine grabbed an Oran Berry from Eevee's paws and retracted back past Zach’s head again. It was then that he realized that the vine had come from the bulb on Bulbasaur’s back. Bulbasaur sat down and ate his Berry, a look of pleasure on his face as he savored every bite.

Zach walked over to Eevee. He took one of the Berries out of Eevee’s paws. “You sure these aren’t poisonous?”

She chuckled, “Of course not. They actually boost your energy and health. Try it.”

Still Zach hesitated. However, he saw both Bulbasaur and Eevee eat their Berries with no ill effects. Well, I might as well. He took a small bite out of it. Immediately, he felt a rush of energy flow through his body as the sweet taste filled his mouth. “Whoa…”

“Yes?” asked Eevee, looking at him curiously.

“This…this…this…IS AWESOME!!!” Zach exclaimed, and before you could say another word, he had eaten the rest of the Berry. “Man those are good…”

Eevee sighed. I keep forgetting that he’s new, she thought to herself. Maybe he could join us. She decided to take counsel with Bulbasaur. “Hey Bulba…”

A loud cry of pain cut her off. Zach and Bulbasaur had heard it as well and were trying to figure out where it came from. “There,” Zach yelled pointing somewhere across the lake. Sure enough, the cry came up again from where Zach was pointing, sending a few bird Pokemon flying out of the trees.

Eevee looked at Bulbasaur and nodded. “Come on, we got to see what’s up.”

With that, Eevee and Bulbasaur started running as fast as they could around the lake to the sound. Zach hesitated for a moment. Should I follow them? He knew that if a fight broke out, he wouldn’t be able to do anything. But what if they needed help? His heart was pounding. He couldn’t just stand here waiting for them. He had to see what was going on.

Zach got to his feet and picked a few Oran Berries off a nearby bush. These could be useful, he thought to himself, remembering what Eevee had told him about them. Silently, he ran as fast as he could to try and catch up with Eevee and Bulbasaur.

<End Chapter 2>

Now being reposted!

Wow awsome! I love it! And I love the Eevee. Cant wait for more chapters.

The Prolouge was so sad! I was on the verge of tears. This story definately has a lot of potential, it's already very good! I haven't even seen a grammatical error. I can't wait for the next chapter!
    If you think the world should be a better place for everyone put this in you sig. (started by Mewmie the shiny Mew)
    [IMG]http://i35.*******.com/20rjyvk.jpg[/IMG] thx to Pokemon4eva for the amazing pic of me, the Mew, and Skyler, the Absol and my mate. You're great!!
    I AM OBSESSED WITH HARRY POTTER AND POKEMON AND DEATH NOTE AND PROUD OF IT!!!!

Ah, it seems that there are still just Rescue Squads? I suppose this is set in PMD1's timeline? (Not that I'm saying the fic is dependent on the game).

Not too much happening in this chapter. I lawl'd at the part with the Oran berries and the comment about the left turns. XD

Heh, I think I know what's going to happen in just a little bit, with the scream at the end. It seems that their first rescue is coming up.

Click above to view
    Chapter 5 Up!
    Pleasedon'teatme...
    Banner made by me.

I love this fic! I'm going to keep reading this one. I can't wait for the next chap. Keep up the good work. ooooh the suspense..
    Last edited by ~mystical dreams~; 6th May 2008 at 4:59 AM.
    "Be who you are cause those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

I climbed the door and opened the stairs,
    Said my pajamas and put on my prayers,
    Then turned off the bed and crawled into the light--
    All because you kissed me good night

-- All Because You Kissed Me Good Night, by Sandy Rolstan

Ha, I love this chapter. It was a pretty nice way to speed up the pace a bit without really rushing the fanfic too much.

Probably the part I like most, though, is the argument about left turns.

~J.R.R. Tolkien

@Darkrai_Lover: Good to see you like the story so far. Eevee was the first Pokemon I thought of (besides Zach as Chimchar of course) for the Squad.

@Mewmie the shiny Mew: How many people have cried at the Prologue now...I'm just kidding. Glad you like the story so far.

@Glitch: Yeah, they're still Rescue Squads. I haven't gotten the new game yet (I haven't had the time to get to the bank and get money). I'm happy to see you liked the Oran Berries and left turn sequence. The scream is kinda obvious I know, but there needed to be a transition.

@~mystical dreams~: So another reader. Good to see. Yes even with the scream, there is some suspense.

@Koridojo_Blaziken: I'm glad you liked the chapter. After the first chapter, I kinda wanted something before the first Rescue, where Zach learns about life in the Pokemon world. Ahh you like the arguement over left turns as well. I really don't know where the idea came from. It just sorta popped in my head at school one day and I decided to include it.

Hey guess what? I won't be outta town this weekend. So I should get the next chapter done this weekend. I'll be indoors quite a bit; it's been raining like crazy today.

Now being reposted!

This story is awesome. Very descriptive, and easy to read. You have just gotten yourself a new reader.

*adds to favorties*

Heh, left turns...

IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Pearl FC: 5198 8478 9178
    Platinum FC: Ż\(°_o)/Ż

A few corrections I found:

“What is about you and left turns?”
    Shouldn't it be what is it about you and left turns?

“I hope you understand,” Eevee said to consul him.
    Console, right? =D

“This…this…this…IS AWESOME!!!” Zach exclaimed, and before you could say another word, he had eaten the rest of the Berry. “Man those are good…”
    Nothing wrong with this, just wanted to tell you I laughed at this part. =P

Interesting fic. I loved the Prologue - really, PMD should start out like that. Chapter 1 was okay, Chapter 2 was better, though I have a little suggestion. The dialogue of the characters are so...uhh, how can I put it...plain. Like, I don't see any emotion or anything, like it's just being forcefully said.

So yeah, put some emotion in the dialogue and you should be fine.

I'll keep reading. Can't wait to see the source of the scream in Chapter 3. =D

to extend our reach to the stars above

fics: A Friday / Berries / Ever Grande / Stars / Wishes / Perish / Menu

I really like it! The prologue was very emotional! I agree with Dramatic Melody, the oran berry part was very funny. I can't wait to see where this story goes!

Amazing banner by Insidious_Dreamer!

FC:3522 9580 6141
    Trainer Name:Talia

@~Jeremy~: Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoy it so far.

@Dramatic Melody: Whoops, I guess I do make mistakes. *Shakes head* I'm surprised I didn't make more. As you have and probably will continue to see, most my errors are normally missing words. Every once in a while a word like "it" will get past me when I write. Glad you like it so far as well.

@Lunar Ho-oh: Another new reader. That's how many now in the past evening...Anyways, always happy to see a new reader.

Now I know I promised this chapter last weekend, but some school work got in my way of finishing the chapter. That's not the point. Before I get rushed out of the house to go somewhere, I will post the next chapter. This is the longest yet, so there's a bit more for you to take in. I figure a few things may be confusing, but I hope nonetheless you enjoy.

Chapter 3: Burning Ambition

Zach had to stop to catch his breath. Man those guys are fast, he thought to himself. He could still hear the crying, but it had become much less frequent. I hope we’re not too late. He started running again, ignoring a stitch that pained his left side.

A few yards in front of him, Eevee and Bulbasaur were peaking through a bush. “Hey guys…” he gasped as he approached them.

“Be quiet,” Bulbasaur snapped at him in a whisper, “Do you want us to be heard?”

“Sorry,” Zach responded, now whispering himself. “What’s going on?”

“Take a look,” Eevee answered, moving aside. She had formed a small hole in the bush that was perfect for looking through without being seen. Zach stepped up and looked through. Almost as soon as he looked, he recoiled back in horror. He brought himself back to looking.

He could see a giant spider web in front of him. Trapped in the web was a small, blue-and-white squirrel. It was struggling at the web, trying to break free. However his efforts were futile.

“What’s that?” Zach asked Bulbasaur.

“A Pachirisu,” he told him. “I think I’ve seen him in the village.”

“We’ve gotta help him.”

“Okay,” Eevee broke in, looking between Zach and Bulbasaur. “Bulbasaur and I will try to free Pachirisu from the web. Zach, stay back here out of sight.”

“Why?” he asked curiously.

Bulbasaur shook his head. “If something bad happens, we need you to go to the village…”

“But I don’t know…”

“Look it’s easy. You see that tree over there.”

“Yeah.”

“Go to the left of it…”

“Are you sure it’s a left?”

“Yes it is a left. Eevee agreed with me.”

Zach looked over at Eevee. She nodded in agreement. “Alright,” he sighed, “Go to the left of the tree…”

“Keep going straight. You’ll leave the forest. The village is within sight from there.”

“Okay,” Zach said confidently. But truthfully, he still doubted Bulbasaur’s directions, “Are you…”

Eevee quickly jumped between the two of them and cover both their mouths with her front paws.

“Quiet,” she whispered harshly, “its back.”

Silently, Zach crawled over to the peeking hole in the bush and looked through. Now in the clearing, a giant spider stood glaring evilly at his prey. Pachirisu was panicking, but he noticed the cries were noticeably muffled. He realized that Ariados had covered Pachirisu’s mouth with some web.

He turned back to the others. “Man that’s a nasty looking fellow there.”

“You aren’t kidding,” Bulbasaur agreed with Zach, “That’s an Ariados. This is going to be a little more difficult.”

“Think about it though,” Eevee broke in, “There’s one of him and two…”

“Ahem…” Zach interjected.

“Alright three of us,” Eevee corrected herself. “We do the same thing as before. Zach, be prepared to find back-up if we need it.”

“Right.”

“Okay then. Bulbasaur, you ready?”

Bulbasaur glanced oddly at Eevee for a second, then sighed. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

With that, Eevee and Bulbasaur crept silently out through the bushes into the clearing. Zach went back to the hole in the bush and looked through. Eevee stood confidently as she stared at the giant spider in front of her; Bulbasaur, on the other hand, was clearly nervous, shaking at the knees.

Ariados obviously sensed their presence and turned to face them. “Ah…” he rasped, delightfully, “Who are these…interesting…little ones who have disturbed my supper?” Pachirisu cried as loud as he could with the wrappings over his mouth.

Eevee spoke first. “We’re Team Twilight,” she spoke confidently, “and we are here for Pachirisu.”

“Ah but of course,” Ariados responded, “I should have expected a Rescue Squad. But I noticed there is only two of you and neither of you have on scarves or badges…”

“Well…” Bulbasaur spoke, embarrassed by this fact, “We’re still kinda new.”

“You jest,” Ariados chuckled as he looked over their faces, “Or maybe you don’t. But let’s get back you disturbing my supper.”

“Your supper,” Eevee snapped angrily, “is an innocent Pachirisu…”

“Now let’s not accuse anyone of foul play. This creature entered my territory and those who enter run the risk of being eaten.” He now glared savagely at them. “As you are about to learn.”

Before Eevee and Bulbasaur could react, two more Ariados came done from trees surrounding the clearing. Zach couldn’t believe what he was seeing. It’s a trap. They were waiting for us.

“So you’re gonna play that way, huh?” Eevee spoke, “Fine. TACKLE.” She charged headlong towards one of the new arrivals.

Bulbasaur prepared to attack as well. “VINE WHIP!” As had happened earlier, vines whipped out from the bulb on his back and lashed out at the other new arrival.

None of the Ariados were surprised. Almost in unison, they all shouted, “STRING SHOT!” At once, something that looked like white thread shot out of their mouths and wrapped around Eevee and Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur’s vines snapped back into his bulb while Eevee tumbled as the string wrapped around her. Only their heads were visible from the string that surrounded them. They struggled to try and free themselves, but they couldn’t.

Zach covered his mouth so he wouldn’t make a sound. They’re trapped, he thought to himself. He remembered what Eevee had told him to do. But he couldn’t move. He was frozen in terror.

The Ariados chuckled amongst themselves. It was then that Zach realized how much bigger the original Ariados was compared to the ones who jumped Eevee and Bulbasaur. That must be the one in charge, he thought. Something hot was building up in his chest as he grew angrier watching these creatures laugh about their latest victims. The boss stood in the middle of the three.

“So,” the boss Ariados spoke, “I guess we all have something to eat.”

“Wait boss,” the Ariados on his left broke in, “I thought I heard the two of talking to someone before they entered the clearing.” He pointed over at Bulbasaur and Eevee.

Sweat rolled down Zach’s forehead profusely. They heard me, he panicked, They’re going to come after me next…

“Really,” the boss Ariados rasped with greed. He looked at Eevee, “I thought you said you had no third member.”

Eevee clenched her teeth. “We don’t have a third member.”

“And besides,” Bulbasaur chimed in as he struggled with his bindings, “He’s probably far away by now.” Grins (or at least something that looked like grins) came across the three Ariados faces. “What did I say…oh crap…”

“So you admit you lied to us then,” the boss Ariados snapped, while the others chuckled behind him, “You do have a third member.” They approached Eevee and Bulbasaur, their eyes glaring at them with a desire to kill. “We don’t like liars…”

“They aren’t lying.” Something inside Zach made him forget all the fears he had. What it was that made him go through the bush into the clearing, he couldn’t explain; he found himself staring down three Pokemon that were much larger than him and already fairly angry.

“Zach what are you doing?” Eevee pleaded, “Get out of…”

“SILENCE!” the boss Ariados snapped at her. Eevee remained quiet and looked at Zach with great fear. Boss Ariados continued. “So you decided to show up to rescue your Squad mates…”

“I am not a member…” Zach interjected.

“DON’T INTERRUPT BOSS ARIADOS!” the Ariados on the right shouted angrily at Zach.

“I don’t give a damn about your Boss Ariados. …” Zach spat at the group.

“HOW DARE YOU TALK TO HIM…”

“It’s alright comrade,” Boss Ariados cut in, “Let our…guest finish what he was saying.”

“Right,” Zach replied, “As if you won’t disregard it and eat me anyways.”

“Actually we intended to just kill you,” Boss Ariados began, “But I like your attitude. So I’m giving you a choice.” He strolled casually over to where Eevee and Bulbasaur laid on the ground. “You may leave with your life and let us have these three. Or you can join them.”

Zach did not even have to think about how to respond. “Let them go or else.”

All three Ariados stared at Zach for a moment, wondering if he was actually serious, then the broke out in laughter. That was the last straw.

“I’LL SHOW YOU!” Zach snapped. Then, unconsciously, he yelled out, “EMBER!”

Small balls of flame shot out of his mouth and hit the Ariados on the left in his eyes.

“I’M BLIND,” he shouted in pain. Blindly, he ran around the clearing until he ran head on into a tree. A large, dead branch fell from high in the tree onto his head, knocking out cold.

Zach couldn’t believe. “I didn’t know I could do that,” he said with a slight hint of amusement, “Heck I could get used to this.”

Boss Ariados stared at Zach with interest, but said nothing. The other Ariados, on the other hand…

“How dare you…” he snapped at Zach. “How dare you attack my brother? POISON STING!”

With that, a large number of sharp needles shot directly at Zach. Well if it worked once, he thought to himself. “EMBER!”

Once again small balls of flame shot out of his mouth, colliding with Poison Sting in mid-air. Zach smirked, “Come on, is that the best you got?” Out of the corner of his eyes, he could see Eevee and Bulbasaur watching him wide-eyed in total disbelief of what they were seeing.

“That’s it,” the Ariados shouted again, “STRING SHOT!”

White threads shot out of his mouth at Zach. Yet he wasn’t nervous. “So you wanna play that way huh,” Zach said under his breath. “FLAME WHEEL!”

All of a sudden, flames surrounded Zach’s body. However, it didn’t hurt in the least bit. The threads shot from Ariados’s mouth burnt to nothing as they made contact with Zach’s body. Well I get the flame part, he thought, but what about the…

Then, without a second thought, he started somersaulting towards his attacker. Before the Ariados could react, Zach collided head on with him. Zach recoiled and landed on his feet, facing his foe. The Ariados staggered backwards, visible burn marks all over the front of his body. He stood for a moment, threatening to respond, but collapsed and fainted.

Zach now faced Boss Ariados. “It’s just you and me now,” he said. He was breathing a little bit heavier then he did when the battle began.

Boss Ariados looked over Zach and smiled. “It appears that my brothers and I underestimated you,” he conceded. “But I am a much more powerful opponent than my brothers. And I guarantee that that was your last victory.”

“That is where you continue to underestimate me.” Zach charged towards Boss Ariados. “EMBER!”

Boss Ariados quickly countered “POISON STING!” The small balls of flame collide with sharp needles in an explosion. Smoke and dust filled the clearing, causing him to lose sight of Zach. When it cleared, Zach was nowhere to be seen. “Where did he go?” He searched every part of the clearing. Eevee, Bulbasaur, and Pachirisu were still there, but he didn’t care about them. “Come out you little monkey. I just want to kill you.”

Zach was hiding in a nearby tree, out of sight of anyone in the clearing. Man this is getting intense, he thought, I’ve got to figure something out. He’ll counter my long-range attacks, so I guess I have to go for close-range. Boss Ariados now stood right below Zach. This is too perfect. “FLAME WHEEL!”

He dove out of the tree towards Boss Ariados below. He felt himself being surrounded by flames and started somersaulting at a rapid speed. By the time Boss Ariados realized where Zach was, it was too late. Zach landed directly on his back. His foe let out a great yell of pain. Zach felt the flames recede and jumped off Boss Ariados’ back. His back was to his fallen foe as he looked over to where Eevee and Bulbasaur were tied up. Looks of relief came across their faces.

“Don’t worry guys,” Zach said, “I’ll get you…”

Suddenly, Bulbasaur’s eyes widened in terror, “ZACH LOOK OUT!”

Zach was about to turn around, when a sharp pain overcame his body. He grimaced in pain and fell to his knees. A shadowy figure leaped over him and landed between Zach and the others.

“Never,” Boss Ariados rasped, “Never turn your back on me.”

Zach tried to stand up, but he felt something surging through his body that made him feel sick. “You…what have you done?” he spoke painfully.

Boss Ariados grinned maniacally. “Poison is a nasty thing isn’t it. And you, my friend, just felt a Poison Jab. You feel it don’t you? You feel the poison gradually sapping the life out of you. Your own body is failing on you as you sit there. Soon you will be begging me to kill you.”

A wave of panic came across Zach’s mind. I don’t want to die. He looked over and saw Eevee. Her eyes began to wheal with tears. She knew what was happening to him. His eyes filled with tears as well. Goodbye Eevee, goodbye Bulbasaur…

“Use Fire Punch…”

Zach looked back at Eevee, but it hadn’t come from her. It didn’t sound like her at all. This voice was different from anything he had ever heard before. He looked around the clearing, but didn’t see anyone new. “Who said that” he asked quietly.

“Use Fire Punch…” the voice repeated one more time. It appeared that no one else in the clearing heard the voice.

“Who’s saying that?”

“Don’t mind that now,” it responded. “I will talk to you later. But for now, use Fire Punch…”

Slowly Zach got back to his feet. Boss Ariados looked a little surprised, but did well to hide it from Zach. “You wish to continue fighting? That will only hasten your death.”

Zach stared at Ariados. “My death would mean nothing,” he retorted as he clenched his hands into fists, “But your defeat…well…that would mean a whole lot more. FIRE PUNCH!!!”

At first, Zach felt nothing happening. Boss Ariados laughed. “You fool. You realize that Chimchars cannot use Fire Pun…”

He didn’t finish his statement. His grin turned to shock as suddenly Zach’s fists burst into flame. Zach looked at his new fiery weapons and smiled. That voice was right. It’s just what I needed. “You were saying.”

“That’s…that’s…not possible,” Boss Ariados stuttered.

“Well,” Zach responded coolly, “I guess it is.” It’s time to finish this. He charged at Boss Ariados, fists aflame. “It’s over for you! FIRE PUNCH!”

Zach’s fiery right fist smashed into Boss Ariados’ face, causing him to stagger backwards. He stood there for a second, looking ready to attack. However, he collapsed and was out cold. Zach had won.

Zach looked at his defeated foe, trying to catch his breath. I’ve gotta act fast, he thought realizing the poison had spread. He started feeling sick as he turned and staggered to where his friends laid tied up. They looked at him, completely shocked by what had happened. Zach could tell they had never seen anything like that before.

“Zach are you alright?” Eevee asked with concern, noticing Zach’s condition.

“Me?” Zach responded, “Never better. Now hold still you two.” He looked at his hands. Please work again. “FIRE PUNCH!” Sure enough, his hands began to flame up again. Yes, he thought as he slammed his hands onto Eevee and Bulbasaur’s traps. The string burnt through completely and they were free. “There you go.” Just as he said that he started to fall over. Eevee reacted quickly and ran over to support Zach.

“Easy does it,” Eevee spoke calmly. “You’ll be fine.” He looked over to Bulbasaur. “Try to find a Pecha Berry.” Bulbasaur nodded and ran off.

“A what?” Zach asked curiously.

“Pecha Berry. Used to cure poisoning,” she told him. “We’ve got to get out of this clearing quickly. There’s no telling when those Ariados will get up.”

“Right, but don’t you think we need to free Pachirisu?”

Eevee looked over to where he hung in the web. “Oh yeah. Bulbasaur will get him down when he comes back.”

Bulbasaur came running back into the clearing. “You talking about me?” he asked.

“Did you find a Pecha Berry?”

“Yeah here Zach eat this.” Bulbasaur placed a pink berry into his hands. Zach didn’t even bother to examine it. He ate it in one bite. Almost instantly, the sick feeling that had cursed his body disappeared.

Zach smiled, bigger than any smile he had all day. “That’s a lot better.”

“That’s good,” Bulbasaur responded happily, “We better get going…” He turned to walk away, but Eevee tapped him on his bulb.

“Uh Bulbasaur…” she hinted. It took him a second to realize what she was talking about.

“Oh yeah, we better get Pachirisu down…” He walked over to where Pachirisu was tied up and prepared to release him. Eevee looked at Zach.

“Bet you never did anything like that when you were human,” she said.

Zach shrugged, “Probably not.” However something really bothered Zach. Who was that voice? And how did they know I could use Fire Punch?

<End Chapter 3>
    Last edited by PokemonHero; 19th June 2008 at 10:33 PM.

Now being reposted!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast