Thread: Favorite D/P/Pt Starter

Default Favorite D/P/Pt Starter

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum had Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup as Sinnoh's Starter Pokemon trio: Which did y'all like the most? Please try and explain your thoughts thoroughly, not just "I like ____".

I personally preferred Piplup's evolutionary line over the others; Piplup itself is such a cute Pokemon. Chimchar's all right, as is Turtwig, but Piplup is superior in my personal opinion.

Chimchar all the way. My favorite Fire starter, and quite possibly my overall favorite starter from all generations. I love everything about it. It has a great design and I think it just gets cooler as it evolves. It is very useful throughout the games (especially in D/P where it is one of the two Fire-types available before beating the game) and it is great on the competitive scene as well, having great offensive stats and a vast movepool, not to mention being able to be either physical, special or mixed. That said, I do like Piplup and Turtwig as well. They are both great and fun Pokemon, but I prefer Chimchar over them.

I have to go with Piplup. The other two are great, but I've always liked the Piplup family the best. It was the first Sinnoh starter I used and I've always thought that Empoleon's typing was pretty cool. Also, I like penguins and find Piplup to be quite cute.
    ~ * * ~

I usually choose Turtwig,because I like Torterra's design and it learns powerful moves like Razor Leaf and Earthquake pretty early on.Piplup is next,because I like Empoleon's typing,but it lacks good attacks early on(Bubble was horribly weak back then).Chimchar is my least favorite because I didn't like the whole line design-wise,even though they are fast and powerful.

Turtwig is my favorite because of how cute it is, while Torterra is just awesome. Piplup and Empoleon, meanwhile, are actually my favorite Water-starters, even though I prefer Turtwig and Torterra over them. As for Infernape, while it's my least favorite of the Sinnoh starters, it isn't too bad either.

Turtwig, of course. Turtwig is super cute, Grotle looks really cool and Torterra is just awesome(so is it's source material).

Piplup is really cute too and Empoleon looks cool but the line's attitide of being so self-centered and haughty is what's a bit of a turn-away. I don't like Chimchar and Monferno's designs at all but Infernale looks okay I guess. Still in last place for me in the Sinnoh starters.
    In need of any non-English region female Ponyta. I can offer 5iv Mareep, 5iV Electrike, and HA Snivy. Please PM me if you're interested.
    The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. ~Thomas Paine
    I've claimed you, Umbreon! The first Dark Pokémon!

Very hard decision for me, because I love every single one of the starters in Sinnoh and still ardently believe that they're the best out there (4th gen's my top favorite, anyway). Out of pure nostalgia, I'd go for Piplup as his line was my first back in Diamond. However, my team didn't really fit around him, so I restarted my game and chose Turtwig instead. I'll be thoroughly honest, that Turtwig (Or Torterra at the time) was my first level 100, and she meant a great deal to me. The Chimchar line's just purely awesome in terms of aesthetics and battle cries. I've felt more personally connected to Infernape, in a way, as his play-style fits and meets my expectations as a Mixed Attacker.

Ultimately, I'd go for the Chimchar line.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire
    3DS FC: 4296-3229-5439
    Credit to Mochi10 for the userbar/Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner

I'd say my favorite Sinnoh starter is Piplup. It was my starter back when I played Diamond, and I really like Empoleon's typing and design
    Check out my Mega Evolution ideas: Mega Evolution Bios
    Check out my ideas for Sinnoh remakes: The Sinnoh Remakes
    Check out my ideas for a third Orre game: Pokémon XD: Darkness Within
    My Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:

Sinnoh starter for me was Chimchar, but I would probably choose Turtwig now due to the increased defenses. Also, I find Torterra to be slightly cooler looking, but that is only my opinion.
    Maybe you should try eating makeup, it might make you look pretty on the inside too. "It's bad enough I have you people adding to your universe's respective death tolls. Now you think you can SUBTRACT FROM OTHERS?!" ~PurpleEyesWTF

Honestly Sinnoh has my least favorite set of starters. The Turtwig line feels like Bulbasaur ripoffs. The Chimchar line is OK, but it continued the Fire/Fighting trend, and I prefer Blaziken and Emboar over Infernape. Piplup is adorable and its line is my favorite from Sinnoh, but even so Empoleon always underwhelmed me.

My ranking for the regional starters probably goes as follows:

1. Kanto - Mostly because Bulbasaur is one of my all-time favorite Pokemon. I also love the Squirtle line, and it was my first Pokemon ever. I'm not really a Char fan though.
    2. Johto - I have fond memories with all these starters.
    3. Unova - This is my least favorite Gen for new Pokemon, but I actually love all the starters, especially Tepig.
    4. Kalos - Pretty unique group and I enjoy using them overall.
    5. Hoenn - Love the Torchic line, Mudkip's decent, could do without Treecko.
    6. Sinnoh

I've claimed Starmie!

I'll be honest in that I don't particularly care for the Sinnoh starters. I don't know why, I just don't find them that... special, for lack of a better adjective. But when I played through Diamond for the first time a couple of years ago, I chose Turtwig for whatever reason, and I ended up liking it. The Grass/Ground dual type probably was a nice touch, but I don't know why it is the Turtwig line grew on me. Sinnoh as a whole is not an interesting region to me, and a lot of the Pokémon I think are "meh", so it's a bit unusual for me to come to like a Sinnoh Pokémon, and yet not have a good reason for it.
    Winner of Best Fic of 2014 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%

Definitely not Chimchar, that's for certain. I can see why people might like it, especially considering it's such a fast 'mon, but I just...no.

So it's basically a tie for first between Piplup and Turtwig. The first time I played through Pearl was with a Piplup, and I grew very fond of it. Water/Steel is a really cool type combination, in my opinion, since it removes that huge Grass-type weakness. Doesn't hurt that Empoleon learns Drill Peck to boot. But the playthrough I stuck with the longest before restarting was with a Turtwig, and Torterra's design is just so cool. I've loved the idea of World Turtles since I first read about them.

Piplup, all the way! It's easily the best-looking of the trio (it was the first Water-type starter that I actually liked the appearance of since Squirtle!), and it has an awesome evolutionary line. Turtwig is cool, too, with the final evolution having that armored shell and huge tree... but Chimchar? Seriously, another Fire-Fighting? And a monkey, at that? Not for me.
    1392-6558-7931 Normal Safari (Teddiursa, Loudred, Ditto)