Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 196

Thread: A Full Course Tag Battle! (544)

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bolgia 9
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    but I thought I heard Dawn say "What happened to my princess?" when May got angry about the food being stolen. *raises eyebrows*
    She said 'what happened to our princess?'

    Didn't know that May had a losing strike against her main rivals, too.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gielinor
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Anyone else notice that Roman and Kylie were based on the Rich Boy and Lady trainers from the games?
    Yea ive noticed this too. Its not hard finding out that they are based on the game. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were from the game as well.
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/jb1rmh.jpg[/IMG]
    I claimed Ponyta

    I customized these

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard_Trainer88 View Post
    its always harder battling a rival since theres so much emotion in it so i wouldnt say "easily"
    Well I thought she'd be able to beat Harley at least by this time.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Blackburn lancashire
    Posts
    580

    Default

    haha yeah I remember May eating a lot of food or maybe i read too much fanfiction...
    Anyway really enjoyed the episode was great to see May back forgot how much I liked her. Pity shes not doing so well in Johto though but I supose it might be tougher than Houen or Kanto we dont know how tough the contests are there. Liked the battling as well and I laughed at Brocks comment as well about Munchlax being like its trainer
    I like Glaceion as well looks a cool pokemon ^_^

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    613

    Default

    *applauds at the dub for keeping Watashi, makenai!*

    Did they steamroll Blaziken's english VA or something? It didnt sound like it did back in AG190 at all.

    And the dub really needs to either keep or dub the Japanese tracks with vocals. That last battle with Blaziken/Piplup was really lackluster without Pokemon Symphonic Medley (And I deem that as the worst Japanese vocal song). The dub don't have any good battle music to replace Jap. vocals songs with at all.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Anyone else notice that Roman and Kylie were based on the Rich Boy and Lady trainers from the games?
    When I first say the episode in Japanese, that's the first thing that clicked there. I laughed a bit when I noticed that too. Upon seeing this however, I then realized that Roman was also based off of a character model from the games. I dunno why, but that really is entertaining in a strange sort of way.

    I can't help but wonder if in the games a couple really do own the restaurant. I do recall one of the trainers something about a relative of theirs owning it, but that's about as far as I can recall.

    ~C_L~


    "I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

    "But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

    - Cobaltios

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Place that voted yes on prop 8
    Posts
    7,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Anyone else notice that Roman and Kylie were based on the Rich Boy and Lady trainers from the games?
    Well...yeah. We've actually seen quite a bit of random game trainers in the show lately. Good example would be the tag team episodes. But that's another story.

    Time to hit on some things worth me mentioning with this episode. I actually like this episode.

    -Drew and Harley appearing for one second. Worth mentioning because I love them (and they deserved more than just one freakin' second).
    -Um...I have to mention this! May said ever since she went to Johto, it's been one disaster after another...What the? Okay...3 ribbons under her belt is pretty good (within 75 episodes). Good record compared to Hoenn.
    -And another thing, May also mentions not being able to beat either Harley or Drew. Drew I can understand considering the past. But Harley? Last I remember, she beat Harley 4 out of 5 times...Tables have turned? I suppose so!
    -May all fired up about the food...Meh! It was so much cooler in the Japanese version. In that version, it was like she was going to turn into a demon and kill people...This version was like Usagi from Sailor Moon.
    -I laugh at the part Brock's Munchlax stuffing it's face comment and Dawn calling Team Rocket chubby.

    And that's about it...Liked the episode quite a bit!

    DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    201

    Default

    First of all, I want to apologize if the following review won't probably be as enthusiastic as you are used to it.

    In a word, this episode was neutral. There wasn't really a climax in it, but the opposite wasn't the case either.

    The reunion with May was surely entertaining and nice, as was the fact that Ash and May have still been keeping their halves of their common ribbon.
    Seeing May's fiery character after the lunch had been stolen was both hilarious and kind of frightening.

    The award for the best saying today goes to James for the following remark: "I like being on the rock!" XD :bounce::lol:


    But now, we've unfortunately reached those aspects of the episode which I 've gotta criticize:

    Ash's and Brock's Tag Battle against Roman and Kylie was a impudence!! Writers, who do you think we are that we don't realize, how ridiculous this quick win was ??
    A Pokemon like Snorlax with a load of Sp. Def. just CAN'T be OHKOed by a Volttackle, although it's Pikachu's strongest attack and has become really powerful by now.
    There's simply no Snorlax which is so weak not to be able to endure one single hit! His physique alone prohibits this assumption. With all due respect to Ash, (and I'm convinced nobody really doubts my loyalty to him) but Ash isn't Cynthia! (not yet!!)
    Even Brock's interpretative attempt ( "Guess, they weren't as strong as we thought they were." ) wasn't sufficient enough to justify this victory.
    You wanna know the truth? The writers simply had run out of time for two comprehensive battles, so they gave the two boys a cheap win and tried to justify it with the aforementioned excuse of Brock!
    No,we don't want to see such an unjustified victory.
    Well, some of you may now object there were several of these forced wins in the past! But that's what differentiates past from present: Ash has grown up into an advanced and skilled trainer by now, but this battle was a sad relapse into old times...

    Another point of criticism (and the last one at the same time):
    Don't you think they should have launched the Wallace Cup nice and slow?
    Meeting Wallace for the first time and May again was undoubtedly a neat plot, but aren't two introductory episodes too much for an arc which will only last four episodes altogether?


    To come to a conclusion:
    My thoughts are still divided over the question how to judge this episode.
    Its plot was neat and entertaining but there were also two negative aspects, one of which really bothered me.

    Let's say
    5.5 out of 10 points
    Last edited by ash_forever; 17th September 2008 at 12:42 AM.
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999


    Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,916

    Default

    Who really cared about the Ash/Brock tag battle? That was short because otherwise the writers wouldn't be able to fit everything in the episode.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,267

    Default

    I was kinda surprised how Glaceon doesn't sound out its name like Eevee used to.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

  11. #136

    Thumbs down What?

    Quote Originally Posted by ash_forever View Post
    Ash has grown up into an advanced and skilled trainer by now, but this battle was a sad relapse into old times...
    I'm sorry?

    You were just saying that this battle was impossible because it was way too easy. And now you say it was a "relapse into old times"?

    In the "old times", Ash had a hard time with battles because he wasn't as strong as he was now. In "old times", there were maybe one or two OHKOs, tops.

    Are we talking about the same "old times"?

    And it's very possible to OHKO a Snorlax if there's a huge level difference. Hell, I've OHKO'd Wobbufets. It's not that hard. I could understand if you've never played the games, but...

  12. #137
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    46

    Default

    In any case, Volt Tackle is physical, and Snorlax has lower physical defence, so it's not THAT inconceivable.
    Coming up soon~ Or maybe never.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Serebii doesnt answer
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    When this episode first came out in Japanese, some people were confused at May "suddenly" loving food. However, they conveniently forgot that she's always loved food. Just think about the episodes The Garden of Eatin', Like a Meowth to a Flame, and Pasta La Vista.
    I always thought it was just noodles though.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,916

    Default

    I think its also because May's love of food didn't start until middle or late Hoenn.

    Back in early Hoenn she never really talked about eating, back then it was just her learning how to handle Pokemon and listening to Ash (and later on Drew) on how to battle.

    Once May got into battling/Contests her love of food started appearing, but again it only happened every so often in random fillers so I can see why people would forget.

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    In The Garden of Eatin' she was excited about bananas and banana splits.

    Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Ah, the return of May, how I've been waiting for this episode. It was so great to see May again, and I'm glad to hear updates on Max, Drew, and Harley (I didn't like Harley at first, but he grew on me). Glaceon was cool, and it was a treat to see Munchlax again. I liked when May sent him out to search for the food, and he found it perfectly, and the other one didn't. LOL I liked seeing May get fiery mad too, and Dawn's reaction. Heehee, it reminded me of "Showdown at Linoone" (lightning May!).

    Now, please, for all that is holy, DON'T bring back "May's Expedition"!

    Apart from that, the battles were cool, though Ash and Brock won a bit too easily. I liked May's reaction to Team Rocket's new motto, and the fact that Team Rocket actually was able to eat all the food they stole (at least what was on the table) for a change. Overall, great episode.

    Now I can't wait till later this week, when I can finally see "Crossing the Battle Line" on DVD two years after those #@$#@! schedulers cheated me out of a repeat!
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Who's Asking?
    Posts
    8,762

    Default

    After seeing the pictures of the Fantina episode and watching this episode, I now love Drifloon.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ash_forever View Post
    A Pokemon like Snorlax with a load of Sp. Def. just CAN'T be OHKOed by a Volttackle, although it's Pikachu's strongest attack and has become really powerful by now.
    There's simply no Snorlax which is so weak not to be able to endure one single hit! His physique alone prohibits this assumption. With all due respect to Ash, (and I'm convinced nobody really doubts my loyalty to him) but Ash isn't Cynthia! (not yet!!)

    Roman's Snorlax:

    1. It's not Ash's Snorlax
    2. Pikachu was able to knock out a fully rested Regice with "one" volt tackle. Regice is legendary, Snorlax is not.
    3. If this was the game, then you would understand "how" Ash was able to knock out Snorlax with one shot. They have weak Pokemon in the games, like lvl 15, and even if Pikachu was the same level, big power attacks seem to knock out a lot of Pokemon at a low level even if your also at a low level. My level 1 Cyndaquil who knew flamethrower was easily knocking out higher leveled Pokemon with one hit.
    4. Snorlax was volt-tacked in the head, as I have seen with some shooter games, head shots are usually one hit kills.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  19. #144
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    I love how may loves food its so funny and cute. You have to love when she gets mad over some stupid food
    I did miss may and now she returns to bad she leaves again oh well I'm still can't wait to watch the whole Wallace cup in english dub

    Pokemon Ranger Dan
    The New Ranger From Hoeen
    That Was turned into a Pokemon once... Than Turned Back Into A Human To Become A Ranger.
    Rank: 8
    Styler Level: 33
    On Mission: 14: Get The Yellow Gem!
    Credits To Sweet May For The Banner

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanChimchar View Post
    I love how may loves food its so funny and cute. You have to love when she gets mad over some stupid food
    I did miss may and now she returns to bad she leaves again oh well I'm still can't wait to watch the whole Wallace cup in english dub
    We may see May again post-Sinnoh.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ash_forever View Post
    First of all, I want to apologize if the following review won't probably be as enthusiastic as you are used to it.
    I take it you didn't like it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ash_forever View Post
    In a word, this episode was neutral. There wasn't really a climax in it, but the opposite wasn't the case either.
    Let me ask you a quick question: have you ever had a good friend of yours leave you (maybe change school, something like that), and then you meet them again at some event after, say... 3 years? This was sort of like that. Unless you haven't really had an experience like that, then you should have realized that this was more of an "hey guys, I'm back! I decided to celebrate my temporary return by going to a restaurant.".

    I'm getting the impression this has never occurred to you.

    (everyone else, that one "" thing wasn't criticizing it, I was drawing it out. It's in no way a negative remark.)


    Quote Originally Posted by ash_forever View Post
    But now, we've unfortunately reached those aspects of the episode which I 've gotta criticize:

    Ash's and Brock's Tag Battle against Roman and Kylie was a impudence!! Writers, who do you think we are that we don't realize, how ridiculous this quick win was ??
    A Pokemon like Snorlax with a load of Sp. Def. just CAN'T be OHKOed by a Volttackle, although it's Pikachu's strongest attack and has become really powerful by now.
    There's simply no Snorlax which is so weak not to be able to endure one single hit! His physique alone prohibits this assumption. With all due respect to Ash, (and I'm convinced nobody really doubts my loyalty to him) but Ash isn't Cynthia! (not yet!!)
    Even Brock's interpretative attempt ( "Guess, they weren't as strong as we thought they were." ) wasn't sufficient enough to justify this victory.
    You wanna know the truth? The writers simply had run out of time for two comprehensive battles, so they gave the two boys a cheap win and tried to justify it with the aforementioned excuse of Brock!
    No,we don't want to see such an unjustified victory.
    Do you want to know something? I can tell you that I'm more baffled as to how Munchlax can learn freaking' Giga Impact than the fact that they were weak.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zophund View Post
    I always thought it was just noodles though.
    Well, that's more or less because that's what the focus of Pasta La Vista was all about. When things are kind of side slacked you tend to not really pay attention to it as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Roman's Snorlax:

    1. It's not Ash's Snorlax
    2. Pikachu was able to knock out a fully rested Regice with "one" volt tackle. Regice is legendary, Snorlax is not.
    3. If this was the game, then you would understand "how" Ash was able to knock out Snorlax with one shot. They have weak Pokemon in the games, like lvl 15, and even if Pikachu was the same level, big power attacks seem to knock out a lot of Pokemon at a low level even if your also at a low level. My level 1 Cyndaquil who knew flamethrower was easily knocking out higher leveled Pokemon with one hit.
    4. Snorlax was volt-tacked in the head, as I have seen with some shooter games, head shots are usually one hit kills.
    This should explain things.

    Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    We may see May again post-Sinnoh.
    Kind of like what they did to Misty? If so, we may have the second actual pattern to occur in this show: the destruction of bikes a la Pikachu, and previous major characters returning for their own arcs twice.

    ~C_L~


    "I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

    "But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

    - Cobaltios

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Let me ask you a quick question: have you ever had a good friend of yours leave you (maybe change school, something like that), and then you meet them again at some event after, say... 3 years? This was sort of like that. Unless you haven't really had an experience like that, then you should have realized that this was more of an "hey guys, I'm back! I decided to celebrate my temporary return by going to a restaurant.".
    I can't quite get what you're trying to tell me.

    This was sort of like that
    First, you're comparing this episode with an emotional reunion of friends who have been being separated for a long time
    and then
    that this was more of an "hey guys, I'm back! I decided to celebrate my temporary return by going to a restaurant
    you're asserting the episode wasn't meant to be emotional at all but a mere, quick visit of May.


    3. If this was the game, then you would understand "how" Ash was able to knock out Snorlax with one shot. They have weak Pokemon in the games, like lvl 15, and even if Pikachu was the same level, big power attacks seem to knock out a lot of Pokemon at a low level even if your also at a low level. My level 1 Cyndaquil who knew flamethrower was easily knocking out higher leveled Pokemon with one hit.
    There's a little logical mistake in this thought.
    We may certainly assume that Roman hasn't been the owner of the restaurant for only a few days. As it seems to have a good reputation all over Sinnoh (as May pointed out!), it's justified to assume that Roman has been the owner for at least some years, which implies that he must have battled countless times over the years. And this again implies that his Pokemon should be much stronger with all this intense training.

    Are we talking about the same "old times"?
    When talking about the "old times", I mean those hardly comprehensible victories which somehow left a bitter aftertaste, although your idol Ash won, for example Pikachu throwing the huge and heavy Milotic around like a wrestler (->last gym in Hoenn)

    And it's very possible to OHKO a Snorlax if there's a huge level difference. Hell, I've OHKO'd Wobbufets. It's not that hard. I could understand if you've never played the games, but...
    No, I'm afraid I've to disagree with you!
    Undoubtedly, it's possible...with a Dragon Dance-, Swords Dance- or Choice Band boosted attack of Tyranitar, Garchomp or a fighting type Pokemon.

    Sorry, there's no really sensible explanation for this battle which I could accept, unless perhaps this one:
    4. Snorlax was volt-tacked in the head, as I have seen with some shooter games, head shots are usually one hit kills.
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999


    Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

  23. #148

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by ash_forever View Post
    When talking about the "old times", I mean those hardly comprehensible victories which somehow left a bitter aftertaste, although your idol Ash won, for example Pikachu throwing the huge and heavy Milotic around like a wrestler (->last gym in Hoenn)
    Oh, I see what you're saying. And you do have a point. BUT this victory was hardly incomprehensible. I'll explain that below.

    And as for the part in bold, please speak for yourself. I'm not exactly a fan of Satoshi. :P


    No, I'm afraid I've to disagree with you!
    Undoubtedly, it's possible...with a Dragon Dance-, Swords Dance- or Choice Band boosted attack of Tyranitar, Garchomp or a fighting type Pokemon.
    When you say this, I think you're assuming that Pikachu and Snorlax are at the same level of strength, or close. That's not a good assumption to make under the circumstances: Satoshi has had Pikachu since the beginning of the series, and he's always overused the thing. It should be ridiculously powerful right now. And Volt Tackle is a ridiculously strong attack. And Pikachu is darn good at it. It's not at all implausible that it was an OHKO.

    Finally, there's one thing here that no one seems to take into account: Roman and his fiancee probably let Satoshi and Takeshi win. How else would they get customers? If they beat everyone they battled, then their restaurant would have no customers. Sure, the meal is free, but it's too expensive just to make all that food and have no one eat it. If no one won and ate there, the restaurant would be closed down.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt_Latios View Post


    Kind of like what they did to Misty? If so, we may have the second actual pattern to occur in this show: the destruction of bikes a la Pikachu, and previous major characters returning for their own arcs twice.

    ~C_L~
    Well that's one pattern I'll be very optimistic about.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Finally, there's one thing here that no one seems to take into account: Roman and his fiancee probably let Satoshi and Takeshi win. How else would they get customers? If they beat everyone they battled, then their restaurant would have no customers. Sure, the meal is free, but it's too expensive just to make all that food and have no one eat it. If no one won and ate there, the restaurant would be closed down.
    Again, I have to object!
    So, why didn't they let they young man win either who rushed out of the door after our heroes had arrived ? :P

    Conceivably, Ash and Brock appealed to them, but, frankly, that's not a very conclusive argument to me. I rather think that they treat all their potential customers equally and now we've reached the point again where we began.
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999


    Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •