Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dream of Two Worlds discussion

Default Dream of Two Worlds discussion

Approved by RaZoR LeAf. (many thanks!)

Ah yes, a discussion thread for this RPG, with discussion, questions, and information overload (I know, I'm really into details...). So first off, reposting of rules and plot summery, along with posting of some info that will be useful right off the bat.

*Rules*

1. Obey all SPPf and RPG forum rules.
    2. Respect your fellow players.
    3. Part of 2, no godmodding.
    4. This RPG is rated PG. More G than anything, but some parts may stray past that rating. No foul language.
    5. You will be playing two characters, either human/Pokemon or angel/legendary.
    6. You will play one character at a time, as the other will be asleep. There will be occasional exceptions to this, like the starting posts, but while in a dungeon, you must use a sleep transition to switch characters.
    7. Be reasonable with any found items.
    8. Eight was a sign-up only rule.

*Story*

Once upon a time, there were two misfortunate worlds. They were different in some ways and the same in others. They both suffered a catastrophic event in the past, experience strange events in the present, and potentially face a very short future. Although they are two worlds, they are connected and their fates seem to be intertwined.

Earth is the world of the humans and angels. Science and technology have reigned here for thousands of years. At their height, humans were able to bend the laws of physics and create amazing machines. But they brought about their own doom when a nuclear war broke out, obliterating many nations. Nuclear winter set in with heavy radioactivity and low light.

Everything seemed to be at an end, but many survivors came to a place called Metro City. Using what technologies they could find at that desperate hour, they built a thick wall around the city. A forcefield connected to this wall kept out most of the radiation. But even these survivors felt themselves in danger, so they prayed to God as a last ditch effort.

Terra is the world of the Pokemon and legendaries. Magic and wilderness have reigned here for thousands of years. While keeping nature mostly intact, Pokemon learned to tame its powers and do fantastic things. But they brought about their own doom when an experimental spell created a chaotic plague of madness. The victims turned violent and mindless, destroying anything that moved and infecting those they attacked.

As no cure could be found (for no victim could be restrained long enough for testing), the uninfected Pokemon hurried to find safety. They found Azure Island and raised a spiked reef and a magical force field to keep the infected Pokemon at bay. The rest of the world was razed, with almost all life destroyed. However, how long would the infected Pokemon live? And could they reach Azure Island? The survivors prayed to God for safety and protection.

And God answered the call of both worlds through curious means. Each member of the survivors became linked to another on the other world. A human would live out their day and go to sleep that night, to dream of a Pokemon from the other world. The Pokemon would go about its day, then sleep and dream of the human. Through these bonds of dreams, the people of both worlds became safe.

Other connections appeared in the two worlds. The angels and the legendaries became connected, just like the others. Ten individuals (five in each world) were given special knowledge and abilities in order to protect the others. And ten special places (five in each world) became direct connections between the two worlds, where things, words, and, according to legend, people can be exchanged. These places are called the World Mysteries, for they are like the Mystery Dungeons that are scattered in both worlds. The people were safe from the horror and destruction beyond their borders.

And then things changed.

It began seventy years ago when many of the immortal angels and legendaries contracted a sudden amnesia. All of the victims experienced lost memories and identities. At the same time, strange monsters known as Nightmares began to appear in dungeons. They killed all of the wild Pokemon and/or monsters living in the dungeons and harassed explorers who came inside. In regular Mystery Dungeons, the Nightmares were readily handled. But in the World Mysteries, the Nightmares were the strongest.

Ten individuals were immune to this amnesia: Dialga/Michael, Palkia/Gabriel, Giratina/Metatron, Cresselia/Raphael, and Darkrai/Azrael still held their memories. They were also the ten special Guardians, holding vital secrets for reasons unsaid. Suspecting a connection, they went into the World Mysteries to search for clues about the Nightmares and amnesia. They vanished during their search, with only one clue left behind: the World Mysteries were locked down so that only the first ten floors were accessible.

For a long time, nothing much seemed to happen. But in the present day, the mystery has become urgent. The Dreamless, the unfortunate souls that lose their bond partner in death, have been on the rise and are dying faster. The weaker Nightmares have been seen outside of the Mystery Dungeons. And that’s not the strangest of all. The strangest would have to be how, after an earthquake that rattled both worlds, reality seems to be losing its grip on itself.

No clues have been found in searches around Metro City/Azure Island and the regular Mystery Dungeons. That leaves only the dangerous World Mysteries to search. And there is good news in this: recent explorations have discovered that the forcefields that blocked off the deeper parts of these dungeons have vanished. The Guardians are rumored to still be trapped inside. These places demand only the best of explorers to unravel their riddles and mazes. You are the ones who have answered this call.

You will be playing two characters, one Pokemon and one human. Your characters are connected in that they dream of each other. They can only communicate in groggy thoughts in the transition between waking and sleeping. But in order to save one world, you may need information from the other. To save both worlds, you will have to be brave.

*The Fluidity of Dreams*

Earth and Terra are aware that the other exists. However, most residents believe that the other world is a complete dream world. Why is this? Various things don’t make sense to the inhabitants; humans think animals shouldn’t be able to talk, while Pokemon don’t think that the strange creatures in their dreams can exist. Which of the two worlds is real? That is part of the unanswered mystery of this game.

There is also the issue of time. Each world runs on a 24 hour day and most people have 6 to 8 hours of rest during that time. Yet it seems that in a bonded pair, only one can be awake at any point in time. The human will go for a 16 hour day, then dream of a Pokemon that also has a 16 hour day. But the worlds seem to be in sync with each other when it comes to the passing of days and years. The Guardians confirmed that this was true, but never explained how or why it happens.

How this applies: Since you are playing a bonded pair, you can only play one character at a time. The human is always asleep when you’re writing the Pokemon’s actions, and visa versa.

*Angels and Legendaries*

In the old days, the Earth angels and the Terra legends kept mostly hidden, helping the mortals of their world by fending off supernatural phenomenon. They had no hand in the great disasters, but they also did nothing to stop them. They did help the survivors get to safety. Once the supernatural came into the open in order to protect those mortals, the immortal angels and legends came out as well.

But aside from the ten Guardians, the angels and legends no longer remember those days. Since the incident seventy years ago, a cyclical amnesia continually strikes these individuals every fifteen years. The problem has not been explained yet. It has been noticed that the Nightmares seem to increase in numbers after the amnesia strikes. As of the start of the RPG, the angels/legends only remember the past ten years of their lives.

Angels are always bonded to a legendary Pokemon, and visa versa. I used traditional Judeo-Christian names for the Guardians. However, if you wish to play a legendary, you may pick any suitable mythological name for the angel partner. Suitable meaning that I will not accept Hades, Satan/Lucifer or the like under any condition, and I will not accept Thor for a partner to Entei or Suicune. Thor for Raikou would be fine.

Most angels have wings, but a wingless angel would be acceptable. You just wouldn’t be able to fly.

You can not play the ten Guardians, and I control Arceus/Gaia. Any other legendary or angel is available. Celebi can’t time travel, though.

*The Dreamless*

Death is a constant threat and in the connected worlds, it has devastating consequences. You are connected to your partner from the moment you are born and it is this bond that keeps you safe. Should the Pokemon die, its human partner would fall into a state known as Dreamless (and visa versa).

The Dreamless wake up screaming after the moment of death. They are highly emotional and inconsolable at first (often incomprehensible as well). After two or three days, the Dreamless fall into a state of lethargy, insomnia, and apathy. This continues until the Dreamless victim either connects to another partner (nearly always another Dreamless in the other world) or dies. It is said that the Dreamless will always be dead by the fortieth day after their partner’s death if they don’t get another partner. Lately, the Dreamless have been dying much sooner.

In both worlds, the Dreamless are well taken care of in hopes that they find another partner.

Player characters cannot be in a Dreamless state unless you quit and I kill one of your characters. You can have being Dreamless in your history if you wish, if you are playing a human/Pokemon pair.

*Dream Effects*

Reality is beginning to unravel. At first, the effects will be barely noticeable. You will find yourself misplacing minor items, or maybe your memory of some small detail will differ from your friend’s. Later on, things will become noticeable. Objects will change color when you’re not looking at them, distances will seem warped, and, later on, things will inexplicably appear where they’re not supposed to be. Like a tree growing in the middle of a street on Earth or a car appearing on Terra. I’ll keep you informed of how severe dream effects are.

*NEW*Dimensional Scream*

This is a rare ability which can show the past or near future as related to an item. The item can be many things: people, animals, walls, water, sand, food, weapons, etc. It must be a physical item (not the wind or a feeling). And, the DS user must make physical contact with the item. 99 percent of the time, it does not trigger (you touch a great many things over the day, you know).

Plot-related visions (or visions in which I just want to mess with you) will be written by me. If you wish to see something related to your character’s personal story, you’re free to do so. If you want to see something in relation to another player’s character, you should get their approval and input first. But you need to specifically state that you touched the relevant object first.

****CURRENTLY...****

All right, first of all, we need to figure out the teams. The only thing I'd like to see is that anyone with the Dimensional Scream should not be in a dungeon with another of the same talent. Fortunately, that only applies to two of the Pokemon characters. To help you figure that out, here is some more information about the dungeons available.

WM North

Earth: Old Waterworks
    Sources: Legend of Zelda (water temples), Final Fantasy
    The Old Waterworks is a disgustingly polluted place. All the pools resemble sludge, rust can be seen everywhere, and many parts of it stink. However, some explorers swear that there are beautiful rooms and things even here.

Terra: Crystal Cave
    Sources: PMD2 (Crystal Cave and Crossing, obviously), Final Fantasy (various ice or crystal caverns)
    Crystal Cave might sound beautiful, but it is hard on the eyes. The place is filled with bright, mirrored, transparent, translucent, and/or deceptive crystals. It doesn’t help that there are pitch-black bottomless pits too. This is the only dungeon where False Safe Crystals are a concern.

Darkrai/Azrael went here.

WM South

Earth: Cathedral of Dreams
    Sources: Dark Cloud 2 (Moon Flower Palace), LoK: Soul Reaver (Abandoned Cathedral)
    The Cathedral is a massive marble and granite structure in a Gothic style. There are many beautiful stained glass windows about. Deep in the CoD, one can find a massive pipe organ that can be heard from anywhere in the dungeon. Rumor has it that the instrument may have its own intelligence.

Terra: Candicake Forest
    Sources: The Lost Vikings (Wacky levels), Tomba (cursed forest area)
    Candicake Forest is a place that could give you cavities just by looking at it. Trees resemble peppermint sticks with sugared leaves and fruits, while rivers and ponds resemble chocolate and molasses. Many things in it are horribly poisonous and sticky, though.

Cresselia/Raphael went here.

WM Central

Earth: Clock Tower
    Sources: Castlevania (namesake), Mega Man (highly mechanical levels)
    Clock Tower is like Big Ben on the outside and like Castlevania’s Clock Tower levels on the inside. There’s lots of gears and dangerous clockwork around. Some areas are pitch black.

Terra: Astral Tower
    Sources: Psychonauts (just about any part of the game)
    Astral Tower is a tall building that depicts the phases of the moon. It is also impossibly thin, pretty much a straight vertical line if viewed at the right angle. The inside is like an MC Escher drawing come to life.

Giratina/Metatron went here.

Differences... well WM Central has only a small path available and that path must be opened by a legendary Pokemon. I would prefer a small group here. For North and South... South is longer than North, but has fewer (sort of) bosses.

Also, any NPC characters, such as fellow team mates, will NOT be going into the dungeons with you. You can send them off to the East or West dungeons if you like, but don't write for them.

Ask any questions, discuss with others, have fun. Yay!
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 5th December 2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

So, I guess I'll be the first to post here and ask if the legendaries plan on taking anyone else with them? I was wondering if you would take a few extra people, or just go by yourselves. Mainly because if you'd take others, I'd like to have my character join you.

Well, I need to do something here sometime. Not now though!

Well, depending on how things work out, I will most likely go WM South way.

I'm willing to work with partners so let's go ahead and see who wants to go where, aside from the 2 people playing as the legendaries since they already have an obligated dungeon they're being briefed on.

Credit to MagicMochi for jolteon/leafeon banner.

I'll post soon I promise! I just need to stop my mind from flip flopping on what dungeon to go to.

Well, I'm sending Sef to the Old Waterworks/Eirwyn to Crystal Cave. I didn't know teammates weren't allowed to go with them so I guess I'll have to change that in my next post.
    I was born a Unicorn
    I could've sworn you believed in me
    Then how come all the other Unicorns are dead?

@Unicorn: Yeah, it's chaotic enough with multiple dungeons running that we don't need a bunch of characters in them at once.

All right, so it's Unicorn going South, Slipomatic going North, greywolf possibly going Central. Also, Manaphy Mare and Zincspider aren't obligated to go to Central, so long as one of them opens the door(s) to any who want to go in. But I'm gonna make you solve a riddle to do that (hehe).

Some info on Nightmares...

*Nightmares*

The closest video game enemy to the Nightmares would be the shadow creatures from the PS1 game Heart of Darkness. Second closest would be the Heartless of Kingdom Hearts, as HoD is lesser known. The Heartless don’t make the freaky jibberish that the HoD foes and the Nightmares make, though.

The Nightmares follow a scheme of more complex= more powerful, much like the Heartless. A simple looking one won't be strong, but one with many details will be quite strong. Some have the ability to 'melt' into floors and walls and will have to be forced out in order to be damaged. All of them communicate in a varied jibberish that hasn't been fully translated.

As stated previously, the Nightmares appear as inky sketches. They seem to be made of ink as well, as their bodies seem to be almost fluid. In the middle of their form is a solid black globe that seems to contain their main life force. Breaking that globe will kill the Nightmare, but it’s not quite that easy. They protect their life globe with energy fields almost always; a few stronger ones (mostly boss-level Nightmares) will use something physical for extra protection. If a Nightmare is worn down, it weakens the protective field to keep going.

Most Nightmares appear to be Pokemon or human. They will have abilities related to their form: a Pidgeot Nightmare will use any skill that a Pidgeot can while a swordsman Nightmare will fight with its sword. Still, with each dungeon, I will give a list of video game sources that gave me ideas for the dungeon’s design. Any enemy from that game is allowed to show up within that dungeon. Just don’t bring out one of that game’s boss characters as a Nightmare.

Also, I want to double check my list of certain skills. That is, who can make use of the dungeon stats like enemy density and number of rooms.

Special Skills
    DS: Deoxys, Adrea, Genevieve
    Map: Cerlena, Reuel, Deoxys, Zalmoxis, Sef
    Item: Kail (specs), Raziel (glasses)
    Enemies: Kail (specs), Raziel (glasses)
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

I swear I will post soon Ysa!
    I have to finish a newsleter for school, and I will get right on it.
    Scout's honor!
    .... and yes, I was a scout... once.

OH, and I know I want Raziel to go to Clock Tower when he is able to. I just love Castlevania sooooo much.
    WARNING!
    GM is prone to going for the throat. Poke at own risk. Continued poking or complaining in his presence may result in serious character injury or death. You have been warned.

Oh you and your riddles!

In any case, I'd just need to see if either would be fine with me going, considering I'd have to find one of them and talk with them in RP.

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf123 View Post
    Oh you and your riddles!

In any case, I'd just need to see if either would be fine with me going, considering I'd have to find one of them and talk with them in RP.
    Lugia would be fine with it.
    You could talk to him...
    WARNING!
    GM is prone to going for the throat. Poke at own risk. Continued poking or complaining in his presence may result in serious character injury or death. You have been warned.

lol, I prefer south, but if north has less ppl, I'll work with it.

I'll simply work with whatever has less ppl going to it, so north or south. I won't do the astral tower though.

Okay Zinc. You'll have to post first, but otherwise sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf123 View Post
    Okay Zinc. You'll have to post first, but otherwise sound good.
    Will... reply... soon... must... get... sleeeeeeeeep
    WARNING!

I'm going South, I've decided, mostly because I decided Zalmoxis would avoid a cave at all costs.

Frankly, all I hope is that more people go North.

Why do you wish that Krug?

I'm sort of torn, because I really want to write for Zalmoxis on his own, so that way he can face his ghosts without interruption, plus he just seems to work better as a character methinks away from a group.

Yet, I REALLY want to have Richard form a temporary group some other explorers, and then try to attain total control over them. Sort of like how I really wanted Richard to go to Old Waterworks, because I was going to write him in a gritty 30's Film Noir sense, exploring a dilapidated waterworks, but Crystal Cave conflicted with Zalmoxis' character.

huh???

O.o

I don't know about gritty 30's Film Noir stuff, but I'm pretty sure that idea may be shot down.

Bleh, I'll just go north, no one seems pleased about going north so I'll do it.

I like Film Noir style, but you need to remember the PG rating. It should still be okay, though, since the worst you could do with these enemies is make a big inky mess of them.

If you really want Zalmoxis on his own, wandering down sidepaths is an option. You'll wind up back on the main path on static floors, because they'll usually have something important, or a boss enemy. You can use the same stats for those sidepaths, although maybe fewer rooms with stronger/more enemies.

I don't know if you played it, but one of my sources of CoD is Soul Reaver. That Abandoned Cathedral level is a former holy place where spider-like vampires have taken over. It's mostly marble and grandiose, but also Gothic and potentially could be used in your chosen style.

As I said, so long as I've got people going both places, it works.

Hey Krug, I like the idea of Richard trying to be a control freak. My human character, Sef is going South too so if you wanted to try forming a group with him it would be fun. Sef will probably hate Richard forever afterward. He likes to argue.
    I was born a Unicorn
    I could've sworn you believed in me
    Then how come all the other Unicorns are dead?

I'm way too indecisive to choose a dungeon... maybe. Ysavvryl, send me wherever you want!

I'm gonna be headed towards Crystal Cave / Old Waterworks myself...
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Watch your step! Sig Under Construction!

I'm gonna be headed towards Crystal Cave / Old Waterworks myself...
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Watch your step! Sig Under Construction!

Okay, so... this is who has confirmed where

Central: Zincspider, greywolf
    North: TSR
    South:Unicorn, Krug

Well Skillfulness, I'm not sure either, as your characters would help either way. However, since Slipomatic wants to go to South, I suggest you head North. So then it would be...

Central: Zincspider, greywolf
    North: TSR, Skillfulness
    South:Unicorn, Krug, Slipomatic

Go ahead and continue the RPG, either shopping for supplies, saying goodbyes to people, meeting with your new teammates, or just heading off. I'll describe the outside appearance of the other two dungeons once someone reaches it (inside too when entered). Or maybe do something on the paths there.

As you may have guess, Arceus and Gaia won't be going in the dungeons right away (they have to work with distracting everyone else, after all).

Okay, I feel common, but, I have to go South. I just don't think Tatyana wouldn't want to go to some polluted swampy place, that's for sure. It just feels....out of place. I don't think Cerlena would care, but their little bond would send her off South too, of course.
    Marco says: Awesome sig under construction <3 Please do stand by~ (Yeah, for like how many weeks?)

It was really hard to decide, so I thought about it. I've decided I'll go North.
    on a hiatus at the moment.

I don't know how many are currently RPing, but it's even for now for ppl going south and North. Either way, my post will be up sometime in the late evening (if I don't get distracted.)

I'll be posting something along the lines of getting supplies, yet run into a problem of which dungeon to decide to go to and end up going to Arceus's office, that is, if that's ok with you for the last part.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast