Thread: MtG COTD: Twilight Shepherd

Default MtG COTD: Twilight Shepherd

Serra Angel has been a staple of white decks since the days of Alpha. She was a 4/4 flier for 5 who didn't need to tap to attack, so it could turn around and block on your opponent's turn. There weren't many cards like that at the time of Alpha, so it was wildly popular. Over the years, many cards have tried to replace Serra Angel, and most have failed. This card is not one of those. It's pretty viable, it's a 5/5 flier for 6 with Vigilance, which means it's one better than Serra Angel. But it also has a special ability that moves all of the cards that went into the Graveyard during the turn. This is good for pulling things back like Ball Lightning/Groundbreakers whom probably won't see the end of the turn to die by their own ability, or any instant or sorcery you used this turn. But then there's another ability thrown in for good measure, one of the new key abilities called Persist. What is Persist? Basically if Twilight Shepherd is sent to the Graveyard, it will come back into play with a -1/-1 counter on it on the condition that it doesn't already have a -1/-1 counter on it when it dies. What does this mean for Twilight Shepherd? Well, it means you get her retrieval ability twice, and Twilight Shepherd essentially becomes a Serra Angel. What is my opinion on it? It's pretty good, possibly one of the best Angels in print right now (Platinum Angel holds that position in my eyes right now.)

Standard: 4/5
    Vintage: 4/5
    Limited: 4/5
    If you're looking for a confidence boost in Marvel VS Capcom 3, Halo Reach or TF2, look me up.
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 2794-9939-9096
    I use "uber" Pokemon in allotted tiers, I calculate stat values, I draw the line at cheating devices, I breed my way to perfection, and I care about natures. I breed my Pokemon out of the most ideal parental stock, and treat them like brainless drones made out of bits of data. I believe that thinking of them as anything more is pointless.

Nobody plays Serra Angel anymore. This would have been much more useful if it had flash instead of persist. Then it could at least be a sideboard card against Wrath. Of course, it's a Limited bomb. Big flying creatures are always Limited bombs.

People play Serra Avenger because she costs 2 mana. Serra Angel is a good card--it's just too slow for Standard right now. If the format becomes more control-oriented, then maybe. Unfortunately most control decks are running Sower of Temptation (I personally run a full set in my UWb Faerie.) Akroma's better because she has haste.

Fun casual card though--you can Wrath then play her to get all your stuff back. Too bad it takes 10 mana to do that.

2.5/5
    Props to MysticFlames for these!

Remember the Beast Riders? THEY'RE BACK!!!
    Pokémon Origins Volume III: The War of Armageddon
    Finished, after 16 months!!

Serra Angel just became, too standard for me. Too simple, actually. It still is one of the highest cards in terms of cost in my local card shop, but pretty much only for collectors.
    ;[

what happened.

One thing I forgot to mention is this thing combos pretty well with Teferi since he gives pretty much everything in your hand Flash. This thing will hopefully become broken in W/U decks and give them the popularity they deserve.
    If you're looking for a confidence boost in Marvel VS Capcom 3, Halo Reach or TF2, look me up.
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 2794-9939-9096
    I use "uber" Pokemon in allotted tiers, I calculate stat values, I draw the line at cheating devices, I breed my way to perfection, and I care about natures. I breed my Pokemon out of the most ideal parental stock, and treat them like brainless drones made out of bits of data. I believe that thinking of them as anything more is pointless.

The problem with that is...after Shadowmoor, control decks, and blue in general, kinda dies.
    Props to MysticFlames for these!

Remember the Beast Riders? THEY'RE BACK!!!
    Pokémon Origins Volume III: The War of Armageddon
    Finished, after 16 months!!