• Generation 4

9 23.08%
  • Generation 5

10 25.64%
  • Generation 6

7 17.95%
  • Screw this, I wanna candy.

6 15.38%

Thread: Which Generation has the weirdest starters?

Default Which Generation has the weirdest starters?

I'd have to say generation 6.
    I can already see the hate messages.

I made a typo, the first Gen. 3 should be Gen. 2
    Last edited by Toxinine; 3rd February 2014 at 1:34 PM.

In my opinion, I don't think any of them are weird. Other people say gen 5 a lot, but I don't think so. I think it has the best starters. I do notice how people say gen 6 also, I mean the Fennekin line is not as cool as the Tepig line, but it's still awesome. I chose it as my starter for Y. (I always pick the fire starters). Actually I don't think any of the other starter lines are as cool as the Tepig line, but they are still awesome.

By the way, you have gen three twice on the poll, and no gen two.
    Last edited by Tepig Pignite Emboar 969; 3rd February 2014 at 2:42 AM.

Are we talking starters and their evolutions or just the starters themselves? Either way, I'd say gen 5 had the weirdest starters.
    3DS friend code is 5455 - 9714 - 1828
    Normal-type Friend Safari with Aipom, Smeargle, and Kecleon.

Pokemon X Shiny Hunter

Latest shiny: (MM 469 eggs)
    Current hunt: (MM)

I have claimed Kanga

I really don't think any of the starters are weird. Well at least weird by Pokemon standards. I would like a cookie instead of candy though.

P.S. Why is there two options for generation III?
    3DS FC: 4785-5475-7913. Friend safari: fire w/ Growlithe, Larvesta, and Fletchinder.

Favorite obtained 6th gen shiny sprites: 658, 681, and 697

It is Gen 2.

Chikorita is a bad copy of Bulbasaur by also having the growth of a flower in the body. It is a cliche that works.

Cyndaquil is green, he is not orange/yellow/red as a fire type is usually colored. It gets some red and yellow only when its back is on fire

Totodile was not a surprise by being based on the second most obvious water animal.

But the Cyndaquil-Chikorita-Totodile trio is a nice trio, when they're together I think they combine very well though Cyndaquil being mostly green

Quote Originally Posted by The Hiker king View Post
    I really don't think any of the starters are weird. Well at least weird by Pokemon standards. I would like a cookie instead of candy though.

P.S. Why is there two options for generation III?
    I guess the first "Generation 3" option was mispelled, it should be "Generation 2", as you can see, Gen 2 is missing in the poll, then I considered it Gen 2!
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 3rd February 2014 at 6:34 PM.

"Weirdest?"

I guess I'd say Gen IV for this one. I dunno, something about their color schemes seems a little... off. A little unnatural, even for Pokemon.

I voted for Gen I. I find them kinda weird because of their too similar looks. Same smile, same smooth bald head. Their arms and legs aren't that much different either. But mainly it is their shared spherical head that looks so weird to me. Maybe Bulbasaur stands out a little (quadruped, more different eyes, ear/horn-like feature).

The only other spherical-headed starters are Oshawott and Piplup (maybe a reason why they look so similar?) and they are in different Generation's. They look more unique together with their fellow starters in their own Generation... unlike the Kanto starters.

Spoiler:- I'm looking for:
    Please help. :3

I don't any generations starters are weird in any way.

I'm just here for the candy that the poll promised.
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

It's quite obvious gen VI has the weirdest starters and after that gen VII will have the weirdest starters and after that gen VIII and after that etc.... You guys can see where I'm going. Almost everyone complains about the new starters every time they are introduced.

I personally vote gen VI but not because they are the newest but because they ruined two potentially good Pokemon in Chespin and Fennekin with their final evolutions. Froakie is just win all the way. Srsly they ruined great potential evolutions for both Braixen and Quilladin which would have made gen VI have the best designed starters.

I don't see why people say gen II when thay are easily the simplest designed starter Pokemon. And I also don't see why people bash gen V's starters when they are amongst the best designed barring Oshawott and Samurrot, (well not so much Oshawott) but still it looks like a sad clown. I feel like gen VI got worse fire and grass startes and gen IV got a worse water starter design wise.
    Last edited by Zorocario; 5th February 2014 at 3:42 AM.

Voted Gen 4.
    I don't like their designs at all. And it looks like they didn't really have an idea when creating them. But that's just my opinion tough.
    Pokémon Breeder EmZ
    Giving Away 3-4IV Pokémon Leftover from Breeding for Free!
    Just send me a PM if interested!

Currently Giving Away

Friend Safari type: Fighting
    Pokémon: Pancham

I don't really had a particular gen, but I really don't get mudkip, I mean what is it based on?
    I also haven't gotten use to chespins evolutions and if Bulbasuar wasn't from gen 1 i'd probably think it was weird too.
    I mean what is it, a plant, a dinosaur or a weird looking frog.

I would have to say 5th gen, 3rd gen, 4th Gen and 1st gen

Generation 4, but they're wierd in a good way XD
        Spoiler:- Bugs:

So I was building quite a nice winning streak on random wifi battles, having beaten my way through countless Garchomps, Volcoronas, Aegislash and Mega Blazikens. Then my streak was utterly broken by a Vivillon, who completely swept my team.

I laughed it off as a one off sort of thing, since the guy deserved props for using it after all. But just as I was starting to build another win streak another Vivillon trainer showed up and it happened again. I am living in perpetual fear that the next trainer I face will have a happy, smiling murder butterfly on their team.

Pokemon #666 indeed.

None of the starters have a weird vibe for me... <.>

I guess Gen II. In specific, Cyndaquil. Once in a while I see a debate of it saying he is a - and it ranges from- Echidna, Mouse, Weasel, or Badger. I still like that little Pokemon though X3
    Chikorita looks like a green thumb. I do like its final evo though.
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Source of images

Generation 5, mostly because I despise the concept of Oshawott's evolutions. Emboar and Serperior aren't exaclty my favorite either.
    Mainly on from 12a EST to 6a EST. Please don't VM me, I rarely check them.

At 85/100 friends, so I'm being a little more selective of the safaris I add. Usually this amounts to me asking what your 3DS ID name is.
    I have access to all starters from all generations, HA for only gen 1 and 6. Send a PM if there's one you want.

My 3DS ID is 1306-6462-3876
    In game name X-Jacob Y-Sam
    Safari: Growlithe - Charmelion - Braixen

Gen 4's Starters were just really basic in terms of design imo and I didn't like any of them.

I said generation four. I had a really hard time picking a starter from that generation... I ultimately picked one, got to a part of the game where other Pokemon were available (usually after the first gym) and then ditched whoever I picked and it spent the rest of the journey in my computer box while I utilized other Pokemon. They just didn't look great and I even feel the gen 6 Pokemon look way cooler and are more decent members for a team.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2165-7177-7589
    Friend Safari (GHOST): Pumpkaboo, Lampent, Dusclops

Shinies

x5 x3 x2
    Goodra

Quote Originally Posted by Zivinolette View Post
    I said generation four. I had a really hard time picking a starter from that generation... I ultimately picked one, got to a part of the game where other Pokemon were available (usually after the first gym) and then ditched whoever I picked and it spent the rest of the journey in my computer box while I utilized other Pokemon. They just didn't look great and I even feel the gen 6 Pokemon look way cooler and are more decent members for a team.
    I did this for generation 4, 5, and 6. I might have used Torterra because of the typing for gen 4, but later playthroughs I didn't touch the starters.
    Mainly on from 12a EST to 6a EST. Please don't VM me, I rarely check them.

At 85/100 friends, so I'm being a little more selective of the safaris I add. Usually this amounts to me asking what your 3DS ID name is.
    I have access to all starters from all generations, HA for only gen 1 and 6. Send a PM if there's one you want.

My 3DS ID is 1306-6462-3876
    In game name X-Jacob Y-Sam
    Safari: Growlithe - Charmelion - Braixen

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedFan View Post
    I don't really had a particular gen, but I really don't get mudkip, I mean what is it based on?
    Mudkip's based on mudskippers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

I'd have to say that Gen 5 had the weirdest starters.The only one that wasn't weird was Tepig,I mean,it is..a pig,but Tepig's evolutions is weird so yeah...Snivy doesn't make sense and so does Oshawott,I mean what's that thing about?

!THE SABERTOOTH ARMY!

I was most disappointed with Gen 5 starters. Emboar was one fire/fighting too many, and Samurott did absolutely nothing for me. Serperior however became my fave grass type.
    My Favorite Pokemon
    Zangoose --- Moonlight_Tails --- November 22nd, 2013