Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

You can double post in your stories as if people don't review or comment, it can't stop you writing. I know of someone who has six posts in a row. So two is NO problem =)

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy95 View Post
    You can double post in your stories as if people don't review or comment, it can't stop you writing. I know of someone who has six posts in a row. So two is NO problem =)
    Ok thanks! I needed to know that

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Okay, here's a question. I'm writing something that is a little too much for a PG rating, but not enough for a PG-13. What do I do?
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

I say you make it PG 13 just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by mariobrosvswariobros View Post
    I say you make it PG 13 just in case.
    But I think that it's too....heavy a rating (If you know what I mean) for this. I should probably see what a mod says.

He's freaking hot.

That's an excellent idea. If it's to bad to be PG than it's not PG though. Explain how bad it is to not be PG please.

Now that I thought it fits more a PG 13. Nevermind

He's freaking hot.

I made a prologue, but it is only one page long. Do I have to make it longer to two pages like the chapters or can I leave it be and start creating the first post for my fan fic? I just wanted to make sure seince it wasn't all that clear to me.

~Thanks
    フェージングのエコー

No, prologues don't have to be full length chapters (see rule #9).
    My fan-fic(Credit to Gelatino95 at Crazy Dragon Graphics for the userbar) Author's profile
    And here's an awesome RPG. It has dinosaurs!And a sprite comic, because I can't draw!

Please click my dragon(s)!

Alright, so I'm currently writing a Total Drama/Pokémon Crossover. It has some romance in it, so I'm not sure if it goes here or on the Shipping Fics forum. Which forum is the right one?

if your fic centers around a relationship then it's a shipping fic, if it centers around something else even if it has some romance, then no.
    岩根雅明=♡

Hey guys! I'm sorry of this question's been awnsered or explained, but is having two fics at the same time allowed? Some of you (not too much) will know about my fanfic (Exciting League Battles) and I wanted to know if I could start a fic that is happening at the same time as the mentioned fic?
    Here's my my first fic, Exciting League Battles Hope you like it!

Chapter XII (7) is up! Go have a little sneak peek!

Next Time: Kyurem, Lord of Thunder and Fire!

vs.

Second Fic: Still in Construction (<THAT'S NOT THE TITLE!)

Next Time: Prologue

Lopunnies, Lopunnies it must be Lopunnies! Or maybe Mijamaru....

Sure, so long as you're comfortable keeping up with multiple stories at once.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Is it okay to have a main character own a legendary or two?
    I don't mean at the beginning but like near the end

Quick Question. If my fanfic has some violence (around maybe one non-pokemon fight scene in every four chapters and it's at about chapter 13 in development), low level swearing throughout (with a couple of moments where without certain language it doesn't feel right) and a couple of innuendos, is it PG or higher? I could always just tone down the cussing a little.
    Currently Looking For: Jolly Terrakion (NO EVs), DW Shroomish (FEMALE), DW Gligar (FEMALE). A large number of Ditto would be well appreciated, namely those with Calm, Timid, Jolly and Impish Natures.

Batman is not the greatest superhero ever. He is more than that. Copy and paste this into your signature if you agree. -started by GreatGonzales

"Sanity is a little like gravity. All it takes is a little push, and you fall." - Joker, The Dark Knight

Black 2 Team

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    Is it okay to have a main character own a legendary or two?
    I don't mean at the beginning but like near the end
    There's nothing wrong with it, you just have to be careful with how you do it. For instance, think about how you treat legendaries in your universe: are they gods? Are they just very rare species (so there's more than just one Moltres in the world, for instance)? Are they one-of-a-kind? Have many trainers captured legendaries before? Consider how strong legendaries are, and if your character will be strong enough to capture them. Also consider why they'd catch them - is your character a rare Pokemon collector, or do they just want Pokemon that will pwn all their opponents? Will the legendaries have an important role in the story, or do you just want your character to own them because it'll make him/her look cool? Think about it before you go ahead with it. :>

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSceptile View Post
    Quick Question. If my fanfic has some violence (around maybe one non-pokemon fight scene in every four chapters and it's at about chapter 13 in development), low level swearing throughout (with a couple of moments where without certain language it doesn't feel right) and a couple of innuendos, is it PG or higher? I could always just tone down the cussing a little.
    It's less about how much violence there is than the level of violence. Are the fights the kind of thing you'd see in the Pokemon anime, or is there blood? Is the swearing above "damn" and "hell"? How explicit is the innuendo? Depending on your answers, it would probably be PG or PG-13. Hope this helps!

~Psychic

question...I'm not gonna get in trouble for doing "^^" this alot in my fanfics am I? cause I do that alot to show happiness...and do this: >> << >< not all 3 in a row but, that, to show anger...not on their own though...O please don't say I'm in trouble...I-I've always done it in RP (cries)
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

question...I'm not gonna get in trouble for doing "^^" this alot in my fanfics am I? cause I do that alot to show happiness...and do this: >> << >< not all 3 in a row but, that, to show anger...not on their own though...O please don't say I'm in trouble...I-I've always done it in RP (cries)
    I'm afraid that having done it in an RP before doesn't make it an acceptable writing form for here in regular dialogue.

You're not in trouble for it first time around, but it would be good to drop it for a number of reasons. I'll start with the rules:
    6) Stories must be of the proper quality.
    •If you're posting online, you're expected to use proper spelling and grammar. Otherwise the thread will be locked immediately. If it is readable but still below an average quality level, you will be warned and told to make improvements. These improvements must show in your next chapter, and anything with poor quality edited. If no changes are made, the thread will be locked.
    (...)
    •This also means that proofreading is essential. Proofread your fic at least twice before posting it; often you can pick up your own mistakes which the program you’re using won't always find. You’d be surprised to see how many things you can fix the second time you look at your work.
    (...)
    •Any stories that contain images or smilies (such as and ) instead of text will be closed immediately. If you wish to include pictures they should be in the author’s notes at the beginning or end of the chapter. Pictures do not replace words.
    •We also ask that you do not change the color or font size (except for headings) of your text. It may make your story harder to read, especially for those using different forum skins.
    Those are all a number of things that currently apply to your fic. Try any book - you won't see people using things like '^^' to show that a character is happy ever, unless there is a scenerio in which they are using chatspeak in, well, a chat program. Which wasn't the case in your story. So I'm afraid you'd have to drop that part.

It's also not adviseable because it's just not good writing. What is good writing is to describe how the character feels with description on what they do, how they speak, etc. For instance, a happy person is not going to mumble quietly and walk about slowly with their head down, but it's very hard to imagine someone is happy with a straight face when you just use '^^' to indicate it.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

guess I don't even cacth a break for being slightly autistic cause I always type "^^" when even talking to someone or texting when happy, or RP like I said...I don't do it on purpose, it's automatic...I'm not trying to press an issue, just saying I have odd querks I can't control sometimes
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

With writing, odd quirks are controllable though. You should only post work after editing it, so even if you find yourself putting in emoticons in your writing then editing is the time to look through it and fix such things. As such, I don't feel that being autistic is an excuse in this situation, as writing is not an immediate response thing. When talking to someone directly for example then sure, I can get that, but not so with writing stories when you have the time to edit/change what you say, how you say, before posting it.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(

Quick question, you said not to post separate parts of chapters in different posts, but would it be okay to have a parted chapter, so long as I post all parts in the same chapter at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_zoroark View Post
    Quick question, you said not to post separate parts of chapters in different posts, but would it be okay to have a parted chapter, so long as I post all parts in the same chapter at the same time?
    You mean if the chapter is so long that you need to continue it onto a second post? If so, then yes, that's allowed.

I mean can i have seperate parts in my chapter like this:

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPTER 1 POST
    insert part
    insert part
    insert part
    ect.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPTER 2 POST
    Insert part
    ect.

If the story is better presented like that in your opinion and you're posting all the parts of the chapter at the same time then it's fine.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

I have a question...I posted my story onto fanfiction, and I'm already up to chapter 3. Chapter 2 is of course already done. However, I kind of didn't want to post it here yet...Now I feel like it.

Whats the interval between chapters? I understand that if no one responds to the fic for a little bit I can post the second chapter. However, as I said before, I'm already done with chapter 1 and 2, meaning that they can both be uploaded technically.

All I'm asking is how long I should wait to upload the next chapter thats already done. What is the minimum time, or what is the time you'd recommend? I don't want to break rules...D:>

A side note, the chapters for this story usually take me a week less then a month to complete because i have other stuff to do and I just don't feel like it sometimes. But that could obviously change depending on the content of the chapter, or how many people want to see more. :/...

And yes the first chapter is horribly short compared to the second one. That was slightly done on purpose, and slightly done on accident. lol
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast