Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

for example

chapter 0 vs. munchlax [insert munchlax here]

Why you'd want to I have no idea but as long as it was part of the chapter title and not the actual written text.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Hiya! If a fanfic mentions, oh, say, blood, does that story still qualify for a G rating? or does it fall under PG-13?

Depends entirely how descriptive you get with it, if it's just there it'll be PG, if like me you get a kick out of describing what it's up to and start sliipping into what would scare people with blood phobias it understandbly goes higher.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Is the chapter length requirement also a requirement for prolouges?

Banner Credit to Flame Mistress

wonderin same thing

Amazing what you can find by reading:

The recommended length for a prologue is about a page in Microsoft Word, though going under or over is fine. If you write a really small, short prologue to convey a the scene and background that’s pretty useless on it’s own, you might be able to post the prologue and the first chapter in the same post, but if it can stand on it’s own then there’s no need.
    Was under the Types of Writting section.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

Ok, I know that it says in the rules that a story can be written by two people, I understand that but is it also ok to have someone edit a fic? You know, someone that fixes spelling mistakes and changes things from first person to third person, but doesn't actually change the storyline. I'd assume it was the same circumstances as having a story written by two people, giving credit and what not, but you can never assume anything at these forums. :P

Edit ~ Thanks Psychic! I just wasn't sure if it would count as a co-written thing or if it had its own category. I'm the editor for a fic, so I don't want the actual writer or myself in trouble. There is credit for it BTW.
    Last edited by kirby8933083; 15th September 2008 at 4:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kirby8933083 View Post
    Ok, I know that it says in the rules that a story can be written by two people, I understand that but is it also ok to have someone edit a fic? You know, someone that fixes spelling mistakes and changes things from first person to third person, but doesn't actually change the storyline. I'd assume it was the same circumstances as having a story written by two people, giving credit and what not, but you can never assume anything at these forums. :P
    Of course; many writers here (myself included) have editors or betas who just help them go over their work before posting. In fact, we even have a thread in Authors' Café run by purple_drake to help writers find betas for the different areas they need assistance with. Real novel-writing essentially works the same way.

So yup, they are perfectly allowed (and it's always preferable if you give credit to anyone who helps you). ^^

~Psychic

Does the Prologue have to be two pages in Word aswell
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Am I the only the person that sees this announcement as somewhat frivolous? To be straightforward, who cares?

Thanks so much for letting us all know, we can take refuge that you're still God. While your at it, make another announcement about how your not really fat anymore, just to make sure we all know.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeGreenan View Post
    Does the Prologue have to be two pages in Word aswell
    It's one page for the prologue, IIRC.

Chapter Five up!

Indeedy it is as the lowest recommended though slipping under is fine.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

If a pokemon goes mad with anger and maybe even a little foam coming out of the mouth, would that go under PG-13?

My fic, Drowning.
    Cye of the Torrent is my bishie.
    Credit to Sketchie of Coronet Designs

Quote Originally Posted by starliteevee View Post
    If a pokemon goes mad with anger and maybe even a little foam coming out of the mouth, would that go under PG-13?
    That sounds more like PG, I mean you're not really going into the reason or detail of why it's angry; not hinting that it's rabid or just gone insane, and the foam isn't bloody spittle is it?

I mean I think Old Yeller was PG, and it had the dog going rabid and worse than that.

I have relized that my rated 'R' rating for a fic is only needed in some chapters.
    I also didn't realize that I had to get aproved to have any rated 'R' stuff.
    Normally, my fic would be rated... G. (big jump there aye?)
    So I am wondering how I could change the title, so I can change my rating... without deleting my thread and starting a new one.
    WARNING!
    GM is prone to going for the throat. Poke at own risk. Continued poking or complaining in his presence may result in serious character injury or death. You have been warned.

Just link the thread (Preferebly in my visitor messages or via PM) and I'll do it for you. Only mods are able to edit the titles.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

If someone drinks wine and gets drunk, but only at that one chapter, woold that fall under rated R for use of alcahol?

My fic, Drowning.
    Cye of the Torrent is my bishie.
    Credit to Sketchie of Coronet Designs

Certainly not; alchohol in itself doesn't constitude an R rating. That one chapter would just be PG-13; as long as he doesn't do anything insanely innapropriate while intoxicated (such as anything really violent or sexual), that should be fine. Just give a warning before the chapter begins. ^^

~Psychic

Ok, these rules helped me out, so Ill be sure to do better in the future.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Glad I read these rules before I posted. My friend skipped this step. Haha Thanks for this!
    "Pain is inevitable,Mistery is optional,"

i think it should be against the rules to make a post/critique that offers more compliments than criticism.
    point
    counterpoint

i think it should be against the rules to make a post/critique that offers more compliments than criticism.
    No, not really. What if the chapter was really good and offered hardly anything to critique? And what if all the criticism has been mentioned therefore all you've got to say is praise?

I can only assume that you meant 'a post/critique that only offers mindless praise and the author can glean no help from at all' And even then, I would have to say it would have to be a repeat offence for it to be breaking the rules.
    Skogsrĺ

Gardenia never liked the Old Chateau, but what if the Old Chateau liked her?

Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    No, not really. What if the chapter was really good and offered hardly anything to critique? And what if all the criticism has been mentioned therefore all you've got to say is praise?
    then there's no point in posting.

I can only assume that you meant 'a post/critique that only offers mindless praise and the author can glean no help from at all' And even then, I would have to say it would have to be a repeat offence for it to be breaking the rules.
    yes but it's pretty rare for praise to be useful in improving one's writing.
    and the repeat offence thing is BS, there's no way of keeping track of that.
    what could be good is maybe have an instance like this be worth 2 of these fabled infraction points. and us sparkling users here can report crappy posts and make our egos feel good.
    point
    counterpoint

then there's no point in posting.
    yes but it's pretty rare for praise to be useful in improving one's writing.
    That's totally untrue. It's just as valuable to know what you're doing right about something as it is to know what you're doing wrong. A positive post can offer nothing (i like ur story rite more plz), but then again, a negative post can offer nothing as well (aaml sux stop writing omg). A positive review that explains what aspects the reviewer thought were well done and why can be just as valuable as a negative critique.

To be honest, mindless praise is bad, or mindless praise with an attempt of crit. There are some examples of it. One of it had the person saying this is good! But it could deal with more talking! But that's up to you!

I look over it; it was four rushed, skimpy, and overall eye burning paragraphs listing off something that could have easily been a whole, whole lot longer and more decent.

So I have to agree, mindless praisers should get their heads whapped once or twice- but if the story IS honestly good, and decent, and you really can't find anything wrong, then fine, tell the writer what you like about it; the plot, the story progression, the characters, the actions.

Don't just say lol this is epic!, tell WHY it is epic! >.>

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast