Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

I have question. Can I post my compilation of rendition or my own version of events that happen in the game?
    The Answer is the means by which all is revealed...
    To find the one true path, one must seek guidance amidst uncertainty...

The moment man took the path of battler, he sealed his fate...
    Entrusting his future to the pokemon, man clings to a dim hope.
    Yet, the Answer is the means by which all is revealed...
    Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end.
    It matters not who you are...Downfall awaits you.

Hi....
    My Hobby is writing a story. but my english ....... so bad......

Can i write a fanfic with my language (not iin english)

Quote Originally Posted by البوكيمون View Post
    Hi....
    My Hobby is writing a story. but my english ....... so bad......

Can i write a fanfic with my language (not iin english)
    You can, but it probably wouldn't get great reception since Serebii is mostly an English speaking site. You can, go to http://www.fanfiction.net however. I know that they have some fics in other languages, since they're more of an international site.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    You can, but it probably wouldn't get great reception since Serebii is mostly an English speaking site. You can, go to http://www.fanfiction.net however. I know that they have some fics in other languages, since they're more of an international site.
    Actually i already have an account on that site

hmmm.... ok.... i can be a Silent reader on this subforum, maybe it can improve my english and ofcourse, my knowledge about writing

You can write your story in whatever language (Arabic I presume) and then go to google translation to translate it into english. ~nya
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by -Silver- View Post
    You can write your story in whatever language (Arabic I presume) and then go to google translation to translate it into english. ~nya
    Actually, Google translator is very inferior compared to other translators. Look at http://www.wordreference.com for a good, up to date translation.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by -Silver- View Post
    google translate is suck
    it randomly shuffle the arabic structure of my sentence

Yeah, translation sites like that are not really ideal for such things. Any sort of translation between languages are far more than simply translating the meaning as many words have multiple meanings to begin with, and then there's grammar/sentence structure/etc to consider.

I suggest the best way to go about it would be, as you said, to read some other stories here (feel free to be a non-silent reader and tell authors your thoughts too via reviews!) and then try posting the English version of your story here as well when you feel more comfortable with it.

It's not unknown to see fics written by non-native speakers (I've beta-read some myself across other sites and know one person who now speaks English quite fluently from it, mind you with a lot of additional practise beyond fic writing) and it'll probably also be more helpful in learning English by practising it as well, and getting feedback on it. That and not many people here would be able to read different languages too so you'd be getting a far smaller audience.
    Last edited by bobandbill; 12th October 2011 at 12:37 PM.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

I have a question, is killing of characters allowed?
    I mean both humans and Pokemon

Yes it is; you just need to make sure your fic has the appropiate rating. A list of that is in the first post.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

What are the rules about having polls in a fanfiction story thread?
    Fanfiction:
    The Twisted Child of Johto

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=543996

Official from Oscars Thread ^

png image hosting
    I made this ^

There's no rules against it, so if you want to add a poll you can... it's just rarely done because there's little use for it here I guess. But what sort of poll question do you want...?

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Going to agree with bnb with a slight add-on about writing comms in general. Generally, if your poll is "OLOLOLOL WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY STORY," then that's rather silly and redundant because you get an answer to that question with each review. If anything, it ends up being a sign to some reviewers that you're starving for feedback, which may be a turn-off because it makes you look like a rookie author. Either that, or you end up getting people who vote on the poll but don't bother to leave a review because you've just made things convenient for them.

However, there's a few other poll options that are a little more tolerable. The two that I've seen around here are:

1. Polls that ask for specific opinions. The Nova Travels, as an example, uses a poll that asks readers who their favorite character is. That's okay because that might not be something they can cover in a review, or it might be something that acts as a springboard for discussion when they go to reply. After all, saying that Tails is your favorite doesn't tell anyone why you liked that character so much, so you'll probably be thinking about explaining that in your review. Alternatively, you'll be able to get that opinion out of the way in a convenient manner, but you'll still have the plot and other characters to talk about.

2. Polls that ask for help. Other polls might ask for things like "who should this character's starter be" or "should Character X capture Pokémon Y." While some of the more elitist people out there might see it as you trying to get someone to write a story for you, many people will see it as an attempt to get feedback on ideas you already have. (After all, polls have multiple options, so chances are you've already thought about the issue long enough to come up with multiple solutions that you can't quite decide on.) As such, you might get the elitists to respond, but more than likely, you'll probably get people who will want to elaborate on their answers and interact with you in order to help you out. But most importantly, the poll doesn't necessarily have to address anything that a reader would put in their review at all, so they'll be more encouraged to leave their full feedback because they don't have the convenience of a poll answering for them.

In other words, it's okay to do, but I honestly wouldn't recommend, from a general standpoint (i.e., these aren't in SPPf's rules or anything), to make one that causes reviewing to be unnecessary.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    In other words, it's okay to do, but I honestly wouldn't recommend, from a general standpoint (i.e., these aren't in SPPf's rules or anything), to make one that causes reviewing to be unnecessary.
    Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a funny one, like "Who do you want to see punched in the face in the next chapter?"
    EDIT: And anyways, if I get up to chapter 10 or something and I still haven't recieved a single review, I was thinking of doing a poll just so that I could have some kind of feedback at least.
    Fanfiction:

png image hosting
    I made this ^

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolXWolf View Post
    Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a funny one, like "Who do you want to see punched in the face in the next chapter?"
    That would fall under the category of the first type of poll, the kind that asks for reader opinions. (It's another way of saying "who deserves to be punched in the face" -- i.e., "who do you like the least" or "who do you think has the most entertaining reactions.")

Also, as a warning, as far as I know, you can't really add a poll to your own thread after it's made -- or edit one after you start it, for that matter. Of course, that's on your own. I'm not sure if the mods would do it for you if you asked nicely, but you just don't really have the option of doing it yourself once you make a thread without a poll. It's just the way vBulletin is, really. Or the way this forum is set up, anyway.

EDIT: And anyways, if I get up to chapter 10 or something and I still haven't recieved a single review, I was thinking of doing a poll just so that I could have some kind of feedback at least.
    I would suggest, instead of doing that, to go around and offer to exchange reviews. I got a lot of my readers simply by asking them if they'd like to review, and a few of them even cut a deal with me in which we review each other's stories. (Yes, there's the sticky for this kind of thing, but I personally prefer my way of doing this.) In other words, you're right in saying in some other thread that the reason why you're not getting any reviews is because you're new, but because you're new, you'll want to make an extra-special effort to reach out to other users and get involved in discussions to get yourself some exposure. More exposure and more friendships all over the forum = more potential for feedback.

That and it'll avoid risking all the implications that I mentioned in the first chapter. Only you'd also add in another implication if you start a poll right around chapter ten: if you do it then, then it'll look suspicious that you have ten chapters but absolutely no votes in that poll. If someone hasn't picked up your thread, that could potentially say to a reader either that your fic is seriously underground or that no one thought it was interesting enough to form an opinion on it at all. (Also, note that polls don't really give you much in the way of feedback. Sometimes, some people cast votes that don't even reflect their actual opinions -- like people who troll polls by casting negative votes or people who just check the positive options without actually reading the story to begin with.)

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

Also, as a warning, as far as I know, you can't really add a poll to your own thread after it's made -- or edit one after you start it, for that matter. Of course, that's on your own. I'm not sure if the mods would do it for you if you asked nicely, but you just don't really have the option of doing it yourself once you make a thread without a poll. It's just the way vBulletin is, really. Or the way this forum is set up, anyway.
    Ah...ok. That makes a lot of sense.

Also, thank you for the reviewing tips and advice!
    Fanfiction:

png image hosting
    I made this ^

I have 2 questions.. I'm new to making FanFics and I havent posted anything coz I'm scared of what'll happen so I'ma ask questions!

1. What would my story's rating be if there's SLIGHT Yuri on it? As in.. Blushing, a kiss on the cheek.. Liek that

2. If I were to make a story and for example, a character holds up a photo of a Pokemon character on it or a character in the story was holding a Pokeball toy, will it still be in the Pokemon fics?

Thanks, nya~

Quote Originally Posted by PikaPal_Lyra View Post
    I have 2 questions.. I'm new to making FanFics and I havent posted anything coz I'm scared of what'll happen so I'ma ask questions!

1. What would my story's rating be if there's SLIGHT Yuri on it? As in.. Blushing, a kiss on the cheek.. Liek that
    I would personally say PG if that's it, PG-13 if you want to be safe/have more than just a kiss or whatnot. (There's a list in the first post here about ratings.) Mind you, if the fic is a shipping one (as in, the romance is the focus/point of the story), you'd want the Shipping Fics section. Their take on ratings:
    PG – Material of some maturity, such as implied violence and occasional strong language. No sexual content beyond a quick kiss. Possible references to themes such as abuse.
    PG-13 - Material of a higher level of maturity, such as actual violence in scenes. Possible references to themes such as abuse. Still no sexual content beyond a kiss and/or indications of sexuality. Typically but not always more use of strong language.
    2. If I were to make a story and for example, a character holds up a photo of a Pokemon character on it or a character in the story was holding a Pokeball toy, will it still be in the Pokemon fics?
    Thanks, nya~
    If it's just a reference to Pokemon and the story isn't actually about Pokemon or characters in pokemon then it's not a Pokemon fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Quote Originally Posted by PikaPal_Lyra View Post
    ^ Thanks for that and also.. Even though the settings of the story is Johto and no Pokemon is still a non Pokemon fic? Nya~
    If it takes place in the Pokémon universe, it's still a Pokémon fic. When it comes to defining what kind of fic you're writing, it doesn't really matter whether or not you have Pokémon in it; it all really depends on what canon universe it's set in. So, yeah, you can write a fic that just contains human characters and(/or) is set in one of the canon regions, and it'd still be a Pokémon fic. That's pretty much 90% of Pokémon shipping fic, so you don't have to worry about being alone there.

Of course, if you're writing a shipping fic about a couple of OCs and you don't mention anything related to Pokémon besides where it's set, then you'd probably want to consider writing original fic, but otherwise, yeah, it'd still be Pokémon fic. Bobandbill is referring to situations where you've got a couple of people (who aren't canon characters) in a place that isn't within the Pokémon universe holding up vague references to Pokémon. For example, if you're writing a fic about two people in our world holding up a picture of a Pokémon character or a Pokémon toy, then that would actually be original fic because it's set in our world and uses characters you've created yourself.

Not sure if that makes sense, but if it helps clear things up, awesome.
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 22nd October 2011 at 1:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Yes it is; you just need to make sure your fic has the appropiate rating. A list of that is in the first post.
    Would PG-13/14 would do it?

Probably. I'd go for a higher one only if you go into the gore and such in considerable detail though (like say to PG-15); otherwise that should be fine.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Probably. I'd go for a higher one only if you go into the gore and such in considerable detail though (like say to PG-15); otherwise that should be fine.
    Does sinking into lava count as gorey?

Just curious, but if I were to write a Super Smash Bros. fic centering around the pokemon trainer character, would that go in the general fan-fic section or non-pokemon fics?
    My fan-fic(Credit to Gelatino95 at Crazy Dragon Graphics for the userbar) Author's profile
    And here's an awesome RPG. It has dinosaurs!And a sprite comic, because I can't draw!

Please click my dragon(s)!

Quote Originally Posted by treeko's awesomeness View Post
    Just curious, but if I were to write a Super Smash Bros. fic centering around the pokemon trainer character, would that go in the general fan-fic section or non-pokemon fics?
    If a fic featuring multiple fandoms includes Pokemon, especially if it's prominently, then yes, it can go in the regular fanfiction section.

~Psychic

Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast