Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

As far as I know, there is no strict limit on the length of a prologue (barring something ridiculously short like a paragraph). So yes, I would say you would do fine to post a one page prologue by itself. Good luck starting your new fic.

Thanks I'll get right on it, I just wanted to make sure, I don't want to break the rules the first time I post something.

I was also wondering how gorey warrants R rather than PG-13/14/15

My first Fanfic: Pokemon Apocrypha

It depends, really. As a rule of thumb, I would say if you could describe a scene in one word as 'gory' then it's most likely going to be R (which of course means it needs to be approved by a moderator). Minor depictions of violence and gore that isn't that detailed would likely fall into the PG-13 rating, but any well-described gore would almost certainly be R.

One thing you may want to try, if you are unsure, is to attempt to avoid describing the gore directly. Let's say you are describing a war scene. Unless it is vital to the plot, try and have your character focus on other things besides the carnage. You really can be creative about it, whether your character is trying not to think about it or simply isn't paying attention in his concentration to the task at hand. Minor, PG-13 descriptions of it here will often work well, as not only will you avoid having to rate it R but it can also leave a good amount of what is happening to the readers imagination. Certainly this will not work all the time, but you would be surprised how you can pull it of sometimes.

Hola!~

I was wondering when the next fan fic contest is?

I have a question. I absolutely never come to the Fanfic section (and haven't even dropped by Serebii Forums in a few months). But is there a spot on the website to get feedback on non-"fanfiction" stories?

Like, if I wrote a twenty page short story, not related to any existing media, and am looking for feedback, is there a section on here where I could post it?

If not, there totally should be.

Certainly, what you're looking for is the Non-Pokémon Fics forum. Ignore the fact that it says Non-Pokémon Fan Fiction, original stories go there as well.

Out of curiosity, are summary chapters allowed? Say, you have written twenty-five, fifty or some other neat number of chapters and you feel that a summary might be good, for example to attract new readers who might be frightened by long fics. Could one do that then?

Damnit Ducan beating me to it. Anyway.

A little summary editted into the first post, even in a spoiler tag if need be, would be fine as THATS what they'll be seeing first. However still be a prefernce for the actual work in the first post unless the character limit screws it up too much.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

hello im new to the fan fic forum and forgive me if i ask kind of dumb questions but i want to include a friend of mines character in my fic if i get permission can i? do i need to do something else? or is it just a no way?

Quote Originally Posted by the blade of light View Post
    hello im new to the fan fic forum and forgive me if i ask kind of dumb questions but i want to include a friend of mines character in my fic if i get permission can i? do i need to do something else? or is it just a no way?
    If your friend gives you permission, then there's no reason why you can't. So yeah, feel free, but give credit in your fic to him for creating the character.
    Your image was too big. Read the rules before you add anything new to your sig.

thanks for the help i hope my friend gives me permission her character rocks

can i post a colaberation story? it just that im the only one with an account on this site.
    This is me re-inventing myself on this forum.
    I hope you can grow to like the new me~

As long as it's very clear it's a collab and if possible a name for the other person even if they're not on here cus saying "eevee909 and he/she/it" is a bit insulting :c A username they might use elsewhere is fine long as you say they're not on here in case there happens to be someone with it on these forums.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Wait, so, on the subject of drabbles, we start a thread with one and update it with new ones? Or just wait till we have several, post them at once and be done with the thread?

I know it's more than one month (I think that was the bump limit...) but since I have a particular question regarding the interaction between two rules I *hope* I can avoid a bashing... it's about Rules 5 ("Proper Quantity") and 6 ("One Chapter per Post").

The thing is I am finishing a work and want to submit it here. It's a story about how a Fossil Pokémon perceives humans. I wouldn't have trouble to post it here if it weren't because I'm not sure what to do with its current structure.

The fic itself is composed of several sections of sorts (20 so far), of varying lengths. Most of them fulfill the "at least two pages" requirement, at 2˝~3 pages length, but some other sections the introduction among them, fall... quite short of that rule. They are somewhere in the 600~800 words range (1⅓ page with my current OOo settings).

What do I do with these particularly short sections? Can I eg.: post them together with another section in a single post, to make post length more consistent? Or should I take the risk to post them alone?

Thanks in advance.
    Solovino's Sig
    Writing what the Pokémon canon lacks since Jun 2010!

Fics» Sixth -- Playfield -- Cuasi Legendario (Spanish)

Research» Nidoran! and other Pokémon for PEFE
    — — ★ — —
    Banner by Hydro_King

An introduction would be like a prologue so thats fine. Shorter ones as long as it's done delibrately, may as well post them together with another one, a sorda two for the price of one dealie. Problem solved It is appreciated you actually took the time to ask rather than steamed right ahead.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

Instead of a first chapter, can you post a "demo chapter" first?

by that I mean a random chapter in your series to see if people like it.
    [IMG]http://www.gamese****ch.com/090703-hiimdaisy.jpg[/IMG]

You either post a first chapter or you don't. This isn't a place to test the waters. Sides more imporant you write for your own enjoyment with other people's being a bonus over being forefront.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

- Is it allowed if I have a foreword for my fic in my first post, then immediately the second post the first chapter (double-posting).

- My first chapter counts seven pages on word (I'd rather call it six and a half). Should I divide it in two chapters or post it as a long chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by AquaMilotic View Post
    - Is it allowed if I have a foreword for my fic in my first post, then immediately the second post the first chapter (double-posting).
    Rules say. First post must have prologue or chapter. Or is your forward a prologue, as I really didn't give it a second glance when I reviewed your story.

- My first chapter counts seven pages on word (I'd rather call it six and a half). Should I divide it in two chapters or post it as a long chapter?

If I remember right, now that I remember, posting limits have atleast a 10k word count, and you think seven pages is to long and needs to be split into two posts?

No unless it does NOT fit when you try and post it, aka get an error of THIS POST IS xx OVER THE WORD LIMIT, you post it as ONE PART. ONE CHAPTER ONE POST, unless it is TO big for one post :/

Can post those separate fine as long as it's related to the fanfiction and not being treated as a summary so leaning more to a prologue preferably. If the chapter hits the character limit, just drop it into a third post nothing wrong with that.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

two freakin word pages a chapter?! will that even fit the forum? and even so thats far to much for a decent quick read like style of writing like mine. I'll post my stories else where

Quote Originally Posted by Prof.Arete View Post
    two freakin word pages a chapter?! will that even fit the forum? and even so thats far to much for a decent quick read like style of writing like mine. I'll post my stories else where
    Um lol have you even read a book? Most I read have 15 pages atleast. I usually atleast write 5-7. Two pages ensures that YOU the writer grasp that a chapter has to really be more than words or listy description. It forces you, well for some, to grasp the fact you need to put detail and description and depth. Via emotional scenes/actions/thoughts, development, quirks of plot, yada yada.

But eh have fun elsewhere~

The Reality Trainer sample in the Rules is about a paragraph short of a page in Word (I lopped a bit off as I'm finiky about bits of new paragrphs for no reason), if I remember correctly it takes soemthing silly like 20 pages before it hits the character limit on these forums.

Even back in my newbie days I fell just under 2 pages (Which is fine, nobody is gonna throw a fit at just going under). Prologues can get past fine as can One Shots, It's there to encourage people to take their time, think and go for more than just a rush.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof.Arete View Post
    You make it sound like quite the tragedy! While you can feel free to post somewhere else, you may want to consider what this says about your writing style. Honestly, read a couple novels or even some of the fics around here, and have a look at the chapter length. Look at the style, the story's pacing and flow, and how the writer takes their time to describe people, places and actions or show thought and emotion. Then ask yourself "would this really work if this entire chapter was condensed into just two pages?"

Honestly, if you're using a proper amount of description and the like, then very little would be able to happen within the timespan of two pages since you're focusing on things beside pure action/dialogue. And if you aren't using that much description, not focusing on setting a scene or showing character thought/emotion, then the pacing (that's how quickly things happen) of your story is far too fast if that much is happening in just two pages.

I haven't read your fic, so it's hard to judge your writing perfectly, but this may just be something to consider about your own writing. Shorter doesn't necessarily mean better. But if this rule really doesn't suit you, we understand and will not force you to post. ^^

~Psychic

Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast