Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

Hi,

I'm new here so I have a question. If I was to make a story about something, but someone already made something kinda like it, would I still be able to make it if I had permission? Just want to make sure I don't copy.

Depends. If it's exactly the same as the work of someone else, then no. Serebiiforums doesn't allow plagiarism. If it's somewhat the same, then I don't think it's a problem, as long as you aren't copying another person's work.

Hey Im gonna post a fic here soon is it alright if the prospective changes from one character to another?
    Aipom-Kun would like to battle!
    *USE FIRE PUNCH!

Hey Im gonna post a fic here soon is it alright if the prospective changes from one character to another?
    Assuming you mean perspective there... yes, of course.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

An odd question.

Am I allowed to double post in order to post a new chapter in a story?

Of course. Otherwise I'd have to report myself like constantly.
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Understood, thank you for the wonderful assistance. ^_^

Hmm i can understand what people are saying here, but most of my chapters for my pokemon fan fic's only at maximum come to around 700 words which is about a page and a half but I cover a gym battle say in 2 chapters rather than one, Just to give that cliff-hanger feel at the end of a chapter. Also I have been in the past commented on how much detail I put into my stories so please do understand that I have not taken kindly to some of the response to my post, although I will agree with Psychic+ that I did make it sound like the 9/11 of the forum world

So, can I have a prolouge and chapter 1 in the same post, or is that violating a rule? I don't want to banned at my first post...
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Stick it in the same post if the prologue is short, if it's longer and able to stand alone at say a page+, then you can post separately without problem.
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

ok i was wondering something...

im about to make a fin-fic and i wondered could i have somewhat of an interactive thing? like setting up a form where you could fill out to be in the story. i would ignore any posts that was in the thread and only respond tio ones in pm. i would also mix up characters if they seem to be the same(we dont want everyone blode hair and blue eyed with a garchomp do we?)

i was wondering if this would be ok. also if anyone asks asks to be in it while the form is down ill completely ignore them. is this ok?

thnx, pokedexfiller
    Banner by millarc3005
    I have claimed Mudkip. I heard they liek me.

Quote Originally Posted by pokedexfiller View Post
    ok i was wondering something...

im about to make a fin-fic and i wondered could i have somewhat of an interactive thing? like setting up a form where you could fill out to be in the story. i would ignore any posts that was in the thread and only respond tio ones in pm. i would also mix up characters if they seem to be the same(we dont want everyone blode hair and blue eyed with a garchomp do we?)

i was wondering if this would be ok. also if anyone asks asks to be in it while the form is down ill completely ignore them. is this ok?

thnx, pokedexfiller
    I'm pretty sure you can. Doesn't seem to violate any rules. One thing though; I wouldn't base all the characters on people on here as not that many people may want to be in it or send a PM.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

thnx, i didnt see it in the rules, but i heard dragonfree say that it wasnt allowed so i guess i wont.

though i do have to say my first season main are characters are based off of people, but i wont let it happen again. just wanted to say that incase it got out and i got in trouble for it.
    Banner by millarc3005
    I have claimed Mudkip. I heard they liek me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof.Arete View Post
    Hmm i can understand what people are saying here, but most of my chapters for my pokemon fan fic's only at maximum come to around 700 words which is about a page and a half but I cover a gym battle say in 2 chapters rather than one, Just to give that cliff-hanger feel at the end of a chapter. Also I have been in the past commented on how much detail I put into my stories so please do understand that I have not taken kindly to some of the response to my post, although I will agree with Psychic+ that I did make it sound like the 9/11 of the forum world
    The thing is, good scene setting descriptions (or indeed any) should be at least 200 words and also conversations will be quite a bit. If you can get good reviews though for the story as a whole due to the ease of Reading as well as quality/quantity, good for you. Just remember, books are about 20+ pages of A5 (10 A4)
        Spoiler:- urgent:

In case you hadn't noticed, I struggle to get my words out. As a result, for posts of over 50 words, I might get off track or go rambling. Please don't quote me word for word on things where it looks jumbled. Use common sense. Also, posting from an iPod doesn't help.

Stop "1337-speak"!
    If I can't observe you, as you are on the other end of the internet, are you dead or alive as far as I'm concerned. Virtual Schrodinger's cat

how do i submit a new story
    FC: 0947 1637 9212
    I believe competitive battling should be with your favorite pokemon , not with pokemon that are just powerful , no pokemon is better than another , its how you use them , Put this in your sig and challenge someone to a battle with your favorite pokemon (Started by frozenthrone101)
    If you want to do a trade , you must have at least posted 20 times ,

CLAIMS : the move razor leaf , its brought me through
    hell, and Empoleon , the pushover i turned into an uber
    and 'Soap' Mactavish (modern warfare 2 ) ,

Look at the main section page showing all of the threads and other stories people have posted (http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32), and then click on the 'new thread' button which is above the sticky threads at the top, or at the bottom of the page.

Then add in the title of the story in 'Title', copy and paste the story into the text box, preview and clean up the presentation if you want/need to, and then hit submit thread.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

I do not have Microsoft words can i just type the prologue in the first post and then the first chapter in the second
    I believe competitive battling should be with your favorite pokemon , not with pokemon that are just powerful , no pokemon is better than another , its how you use them , Put this in your sig and challenge someone to a battle with your favorite pokemon (Started by frozenthrone101)

No reason you cannot use Notepad or Wordpad giving you a save function that keeps it on your computer until ready for public viewing.
    Ruler of the Fics.

Actually i never knew about notepad thanks
    but i still can't find where to submit posts
    Last edited by frozenthrone101; 7th November 2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenthrone101 View Post
    Actually i never knew about notepad thanks
    but i still can't find where to submit posts
    Was already explained- aka the new thread button. Or.

There a visual aid.

ha thanks :-)

I have a fic that is "half/semi-related" to pokemon, the relations starts at chapter 6, so which section? poke or non-poke?

also, I don't know if my fic is g or pg because 1. I'm not sure what to rate. 2. it is not finished yet, so it might turn more and more pg as it goes on...(and, since it contains to much violence, it might go into a little mezzo-R)

I have a very confusing predicament.

I recently found a three-years old fic of mine. i still think it's funny, and with edits, I think it has potential; I'm having issues with the first through third chapters being small, but it was teh first thing I ever wrote with intentions of continuing, so they were short ot begin with. I plan to go back and revise, but I'd liek to get myself back intothe spirit of writing it, so I'd like to continue. It's a humor piece, and the chapters vary in length from a page to four pages, at worst and best. Problem is, I've looked at all of the transitions, and I can't find an easy way to smooth this out. The problem here is that Zephyr_Flare said on the first page that chapters should be two pages in Word at least, most of which mine are, but not teh beginnigns. Which, liek I said, I don't want to edit now.

I also have a "prologue" whihc is not even a page long. It's just a Brian Jacques-esque, foreshadowing diatribe. Here it is:

Prologue
    A Young Boy’s Legacy

In a country far away, in the small little town of Pallet, in a house across the path from the lab, there lives a young boy…
    A young boy who would soon become one of the greatest Pokemon masters of all time…
    A boy who was just then turning 10…
    A boy, who at that moment was up early reading the paper, and watching that morning’s Pokemon battle on a TV in his room…
    A boy who had anticipated this day for a long time…
    A boy with the all-time biggest rival he could hope to have…
    A boy named Guy.
    Now, with his neighbor and friend, Jonin, and his fraternal twin brother, Dave, he sets out for the lab…
    In the town of Pallet…
    In a country called Kanto…
    In the world of Pokemon.

It's not very long, right? But I like it how it is. Unfortunately, the rules say each chapter gets its own post, and the prologue and first chapter should not be both in the first post. What to do?

It also says that a bump should be at about a month with no replies. I haev 16 chapters (approx) finished. Can I post the Prologue, give a little non-story background, then immediately post again with chapter one? Then subsequently till Chapter three? If I haev written all of them, can I post what I have so far in two or three chapter intervals? As teh story progresses, around chapter eight or so, teh chapters get longer, and worthy of a single post. So the main questions are:

1. Hwo many liberties are given to humor pieces?
    2. Is it a horrible thing if all of my chapters aren't two pages? Most of them are.
    3. If i have chapters finished, can I post them in intervals of two or more without waiting a month for bumping? Depending on length of course.
    4. If my prologue is as short as teh one above, can i include the first chapter in the first post?

Thanks in advance. Reaaaaaally hope teh Mods don't pull the tl;dr thing that everyone seems to liek in teh Misc. Discussion. But Mods wouldn't do that. *jesting smirk*
    Sapphire Fighting Monotype Challenge
    Badges: 6
    Team:
    Li; Mahatma; Jackie; Bruce; Hellga; Banner

No linking to other sites...? Oooh-ooooohh...So much for doing it the easy way and linking to my ff.net stuff...My chapters are all kinda frikkin' huge, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk Bryman
    You bet, kid!
    My Fanfics--Search "FerreTrip" in Authors
    *Long No*

Quote Originally Posted by FerreTrip View Post
    No linking to other sites...? Oooh-ooooohh...So much for doing it the easy way and linking to my ff.net stuff...My chapters are all kinda frikkin' huge, so...
    It's called a Signature. Nothing against the rules about having a link to your story in it.

But I advise you to rework your signature at anyrate because it's almost taking up my entire screen <_<

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast