Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

Okay, I'm reading the rules and i see a term titled 'lime sex'. What is that and why would a fan add that to their fanfic?
        Spoiler:- Just- lol:

I'll just quote the fanfic rules's definition:

Lime: Sexual content is not shown directly; instead there are mostly hints and suggestions of it, nothing graphic
    Lemon: Very descriptive sexual content – NOT ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM
    Feel free to ask further if you need more explanation.

Why someone would need it? It varies per author, really. ;P But sometimes those sort of scenes intensify a relationship ... or whatever.
    Last edited by Breezy; 27th February 2011 at 2:53 AM.

Can I post the prologue in my Pokemon/Tranformers crossover fic if said prologue has nothing to do with Pokemon? It's just a little bit about a fan character of mine, but I don't want to get rid of it.

Also, I'm hoping for a PG rating for this story, but there's a lot of violence. However it's mostly resticted to Transformers fighting each other and Pokemon taking on the bad robots. Is violence okay if humans and Pokemon aren't getting badly hurt?
    Last edited by Latias Prime; 7th March 2011 at 3:11 AM.
    I'm 50% Pokemon geek, 50% Transformers nerd, and 100% crazy!

Transformers World 2005:Transformers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Discussing Prime, the Michael Bay movies, and anything else relating to our favorite giant alien robots.

I once traded a Lv. 16 Luxio for a Lv. 100 shiny Deoxys. Turned out it was hacked and the guy I traded with was a stalker.

You should be okay with posting it in the main forum. Though out of the two subjects, is pokemon the most predominant?

It kind of sounds like a PG-13 fic, but it depends on how you're handling/describing the violence. Think of the PG rating akin to a kid's cartoon. The pokemon anime is a good example of a cartoon show with violence that isn't too gory.

It's sort of 50-50. It's a "what if" fic based on the new Transformers cartoon, Transformers Prime. It's got the same plot as the show, but seen through the eyes of a group of Pokemon Trainers who get caught up in the Autobot/Decepticon war. There are a few moments where the narrative shifts to the robot's perspective, but it's mostly about the Trainers. There's also a bit of a focus on my Transformer fan character, Sapphire, and the relationship between her and her father, but Sapphire does have a few Pokemon that she trains as a hobby, so I guess that makes her a Trainer.

The show it's based on is violent, but it's robot-on-robot violence and humans rarely get hurt, and they never die or get seriously injured. There's a bit of romance, nothing graphic or too suggestive, and an adult character does drink beer now and then, but I don't think that's enough to warrent a PG-13 rating. I'll just put a warning before the chapters with anything questionable in them, and I'll try to tone down the violence a bit.
    Last edited by Latias Prime; 7th March 2011 at 9:53 PM.

Transformers World 2005:Transformers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Discussing Prime, the Michael Bay movies, and anything else relating to our favorite giant alien robots.

I once traded a Lv. 16 Luxio for a Lv. 100 shiny Deoxys. Turned out it was hacked and the guy I traded with was a stalker.

Is there any reason why you want the PG rating? With what you explained, I feel like you could have some more leeway if you go for the PG-13 rating.

I'm trying to make it accessible to both older and younger viewers, but given how it's turning out I might just play it safe and give it a PG-13 rating.

What about crossovers? Are they allowed?
    Being ignored displeases me.

Crossovers are allowed. If you want to post it in the main fan fiction forum, it needs to have pokemon in it. If it doesn't, post it in the non-pokemon fan fiction subforum.

Ok thanks! ^^ It has Pokemon in it.
    *giddy-yet-maniacal-laugh* 39 Clues/Pokemon crossover!!!!!! I'm having a blast writing it! XDDDDD
    Being ignored displeases me.

If I have a completely original work that I hope to one day publish, yet want to post progress to readers both to motivate me and to get critique/advice, is there any reassurance that what I post on these forums won't be stolen or used elsewhere? It's a huge pet peeve of mine.
    Sapphire Fighting Monotype Challenge
    Badges: 6
    Team:
    Li; Mahatma; Jackie; Bruce; Hellga; Banner

There is no reassurance; you're posting in a public forum where you have no control over who and who cannot see your posts. If you don't want to chance that someone will use it for a school project or even try to profit off of it, don't post it online anywhere.

Ask people in person to critique or find a place where you have control over who can and cannot see your posts.

Right, that's what I thought, I was just wondering if there was anything preventing theft. Thanks
    Sapphire Fighting Monotype Challenge
    Badges: 6
    Team:
    Li; Mahatma; Jackie; Bruce; Hellga; Banner

I have a partial mystery dungeon fan fic (still in progress) that I think is pg-13, but it might be an R to some people due to high profanity use, and scenes of somewhat brutal (but not overly gory) violence, and other dark themes, such as insanity will make their place later on. Out of curiosity, can I ask any moderator, or does it have to be a specific one (since some message boards have moderators dedicated to certain sections) and how do you tell that someone is a moderator or not?

You need to ask a fanfic forum moderator, i.e. me, Psychic or bobandbill. The moderators of each forum are displayed just below the thread listings on that forum's main page.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 15th April 2011 at 6:57 PM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

I kind of new and what does do not leave a post empty! I'm sorry I get confused
    Love Chyna

It means your first post in your fic's thread must contain either the prologue/first chapter of your story, a short story (aka the one-shot) that isn't a multipart story, or whatever other style of writing, like poetry.

To quote the rules:

All or a part of your story NEEDS to be in this first post. You can NOT link to your fic on another site, only post character biographies, give a summary/introduction (unless it includes a scene) or say “I will post my fic later.” These threads will be instantly closed.
    If you mean in general, the general SPPf rule is that your post stays on topic in the thread and that you don't go around spamming the place up.

I have been wondering this since I started my first SerebiiForums Fan-fiction, but can a story be closed if you do a couple of mistakes? I am a little rough on restarting making stories and I am afraid if I do a couple of mistakes my story will be closed.

A few mistakes are fine - threads are only closed if they're breaking rules or completely lack capital letters/paragraphing/proper regard for grammar to the point where they're nigh-unreadable.

The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    A few mistakes are fine - threads are only closed if they're breaking rules or completely lack capital letters/paragraphing/proper regard for grammar to the point where they're nigh-unreadable.

That's a relief. I was worried me having minor description issues would close my story.

But one more thing, would a story be considered plagirisum (Can't spell it good) if it used a common idea like a boy getting a pikachu on the first day he has his journey? I don't mean copying everything. I mean if a plot used in one persons story was used in another differently ( Like a Journey fan fiction), would it fall under that? As I don't want my story to be closed in case somehow another person's fan fic had a similar plot to mine or vise versa. (And not copying the direct plot or copy the actual story)
    Last edited by hawkmbl; 17th May 2011 at 11:22 PM.

But one more thing, would a story be considered plagirisum (Can't spell it good) if it used a common idea like a boy getting a pikachu on the first day he has his journey? I don't mean copying everything. I mean if a plot used in one persons story was used in another differently ( Like a Journey fan fiction), would it fall under that? As I don't want my story to be closed in case somehow another person's fan fic had a similar plot to mine or vise versa. (And not copying the direct plot or copy the actual story)
    No, it would not - only if you used actual parts of someone else's story with some minor changes/no changes and claimed it as your own. (And if you plan for instance to have someone get a Pikachu starting off that's certainly not plagiarism, although I would note to be careful to make the story interesting and not just akin to how the anime did it). =p

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fashion Focus: Team Magma and Team Aqua! What's the verdict on the new outfits?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkmbl View Post
    As a general rule, nothing that could conceivably be a coincidence will be viewed as plagiarism, so if you really are just worried that your story will coincidentally happen to resemble somebody else's, there's no need to. However, if you were to implement something very distinctly unique to one particular other fic - the wording of whole passages, or some highly complex detail of their plot, or repeated individual plot points or characters or whatever have uncanny similarities to another - that would be plagiarism. In every case, again, part of the definition is that it must be so distinct as for it to be impossible to be coincidental, so if you are in fact not stealing your ideas, you have nothing to worry about. Merely using common tropes doesn't make for that kind of uncanny resemblance to a particular other fic.

Morphic

Hey, I'm new to fan fiction. I'm having a blast writing my story and I want to share it here as I'd probably be made fun of about it at my school. But nevertheless, I have a question.

The rules state that each chapter has to be at least 2 Microsoft Word pages in length. Well my story is supposed to have many chapters fitted onto each thread page because I am making a chapter for each scene, and not trying to combine scenes. If that makes any sense. If it doesn't, then I want to make many chapters, each one about 1 to 1.5 pages in length, each describing a specific part of the story, and nothing else. Would this be allowed, or do I need to attempt to make my chapters longer? I'm still new to the writing game, so any help would be appreciated.

Credit goes to Lucina Archaelis

@epicninjask:

Do you mean that you only want one scene per chapter?

Either way, there are exceptions to the rules, and even the rule for that specific rule states:

Exceptions may be made if the chapter is exceptionally well-written and gets the job done.
    So long as each chapter gets the "job done," or it seems fulfilling and successfully tells your point of that chapter (whatever that point may be), you should be okay. Though I am honestly wondering why you want to have separate chapters per scene; the flow would seem rather choppy IMO if you do that. Of course, I don't know what the story is about, nor what it looks like, so I suppose I shouldn't judge yet. ;P And while some scenes can be drawn out, I am worried about your shorter scenes, like transitional ones that act between one important scene and the other.

Digression though.

Well, I'm sort of basing each scene off a different event. Like, for example, there's a kid's birthday party. One chapter talks about the party and the guests, then the next talks about the guy who comes and crashes it. I could probably get by with putting them both together, but that's not what I was planning on doing. If this makes any more sense. If anything, I'm working on extending the chapters so it might work out that way.

Credit goes to Lucina Archaelis

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast