Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

Yes, PG-13 covers drinking fine.

Chapter 63: Recovery
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

What swear words can you use in PG-13 stories?

The MPAA, on which the rating system is based, officially allows one single use of "the harsher sexually-derived words" in a PG-13 movie, provided it is used as an expletive and not in a sexual context, and may vote to allow a couple more (again, in a non-sexual context) if they deem it inconspicuous or used in a way they think American parents would consider admissible. So, in other words, your characters may say "damn", "goddamn", etc. all the want, but the F-, S-, C-words and their ilk should be reserved for that one precision F/S/C strike (and no matter how scarce, they can't actually refer to sexual acts or organs). Granted, since the forum has automatic censoring, nobody's going to knock you for swearing in a PG-13 fic unless you go explicitly evade the filter.

The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

I have a question. If there is a few parts of short, brief sex, that isn't detailed. Or even just a reference, does it belong in pg to 15?
    "shut up!" ~ Smosh
    STEPHANOOOOOOOO!!!!!

A very, very special credit to Rayce for giving me a timid thunderus ( the milos island one too.) after seeking it for half a year. He really did bend over backwards to get it to me, and I'm very grateful for that.

BARRELS! >:-(
    Im a bro, are you?
    Everybody do the flop!

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...or-Swift-Club)

This is mine and liz azzimagicas taylor swift fan club!

If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Me,Liz azzimagica,doodlebug and dr ciel are the taylor swift fans of serebii!
    4857 4427 2582: FC for white 2

You can briefly reference sex or fade to black in such a way that the reader can deduce sex happened in PG-13, but serious depiction of any part of it or a lot of suggestiveness would call for a higher rating.

Morphic

Are minor innuendos allowed in PG-13? (It's only used once in Chapter 1.)
    And is this kind of thing (Narrative Censoring) allowed?
    'I am afraid that the language she used next while attacking Main Villain was not pleasant. So unpleasant I feel that it is my duty to replace those horrible words with the word 'CENSORED', which sounds much more pleasant in context. Take a deep breath, all readers.'
    "Main Villain! You CENSORED of a CENSORED who's so undeniably CENSORED that I can only say CENSORED CENSORED! You evil CENSORED CENSORED who's such a CENSORED that even a CENSORED like your admins don't live up to your CENSORED CENSORED! YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER CENSORED!"
    (Yes, all those words actually are 'CENSORED'. I'm not censoring them just for this, because they actually read in the story as 'censored'.)
    and
    "He screamed all sorts of words and phrases at them, some that made even the most intelligent of people would gasp and feel like getting sick, words that I could not possibly bear to type or print for fear of crying, words that they didn't even know what they meant, only sensing the terrible implications. To say Main Villain was using atrociously bad language...would be an understatement. A grave, grave understatement."

Is that kind of thing okay?
    Pokémon games I own: Diamond, Platinum, White, HeartGold, Blue Rescue Team, Explorers of Time, Explorers of Time, Ranger, Shadows of Almia, Guardian Signs, Colosseum.
    Currently reading the Ginji's Rescue Team manga.

RangerShipping, my OTP~

Solana x Lunick forever~!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Jirachi View Post
    Are minor innuendos allowed in PG-13? (It's only used once in Chapter 1.)
    And is this kind of thing (Narrative Censoring) allowed?
    'I am afraid that the language she used next while attacking Main Villain was not pleasant. So unpleasant I feel that it is my duty to replace those horrible words with the word 'CENSORED', which sounds much more pleasant in context. Take a deep breath, all readers.'
    "Main Villain! You CENSORED of a CENSORED who's so undeniably CENSORED that I can only say CENSORED CENSORED! You evil CENSORED CENSORED who's such a CENSORED that even a CENSORED like your admins don't live up to your CENSORED CENSORED! YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER CENSORED!"
    (Yes, all those words actually are 'CENSORED'. I'm not censoring them just for this, because they actually read in the story as 'censored'.)
    and
    "He screamed all sorts of words and phrases at them, some that made even the most intelligent of people would gasp and feel like getting sick, words that I could not possibly bear to type or print for fear of crying, words that they didn't even know what they meant, only sensing the terrible implications. To say Main Villain was using atrociously bad language...would be an understatement. A grave, grave understatement."

Is that kind of thing okay?
    Yeah, that's fine, I believe.
    My fan-fic(Credit to Gelatino95 at Crazy Dragon Graphics for the userbar) Author's profile
    And here's an awesome RPG. It has dinosaurs!And a sprite comic, because I can't draw!

Please click my dragon(s)!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    You can briefly reference sex or fade to black in such a way that the reader can deduce sex happened in PG-13, but serious depiction of any part of it or a lot of suggestiveness would call for a higher rating.
    So if a small part of 2 people having sex is mentioned, I'm talking about when you read about them actually having sex for a very brief time, whith the details to a minumum, what rating would that have?
    "shut up!" ~ Smosh
    STEPHANOOOOOOOO!!!!!

A very, very special credit to Rayce for giving me a timid thunderus ( the milos island one too.) after seeking it for half a year. He really did bend over backwards to get it to me, and I'm very grateful for that.

BARRELS! >:-(
    Im a bro, are you?
    Everybody do the flop!

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...or-Swift-Club)

This is mine and liz azzimagicas taylor swift fan club!

If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Me,Liz azzimagica,doodlebug and dr ciel are the taylor swift fans of serebii!
    4857 4427 2582: FC for white 2

That sounds like an R rating, which means you should PM the full scene to me or another moderator for a proper assessment.

Morphic

I have a fanfic that I wanna post. It starts out like a regular fic, then goes to shipping.

What forum do I put it in? This, or the shipping fics?
    AND I AM THE MOST DERP GURL, YOU HAVE EVER SEEN

Did u know that if you put your finger in your ear and move it up and down, it sounds like Pacman?

Ma Tumblr

Ma deviantART

My question is similar to his but in PG-13 could characters say things like 'You had sex with her?'

Yes, they could.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Other Fics
    Unfortunately Blue | Notice: Keep Out | Turnabout Assumptions
    Song Parodies | Snapshots | Fairy Tale (new!)

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut? Check the forums too!
    Current article: From RSE to ORAS - Top Ten Wanted Improvements!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Hi My name is Ducklett12 and I was wondering, could you define "no more than 2 pages" like do you mean 2 actual thread pages or what? because I was planning to post a Pokemon Story

Also if I were to post in one of my Pokemon stories would I be able to post anything about kissing in it? I mean that would be rare to see in the story something like every 5 Chapters or so. (That includes an Open Mouth Kiss) What rating would that go under, PG-13? And the story that I'm talking about will be around 30 to 60 chapters. That story would probably be posted in about later next year but I may post just a Pokemon Story called My Journey in the Kanto Region and another story called My Travels in the Johto Region. (Those don't have any kind of kissing in it at all.) And the story that has very rare kissing in it is a Pokemon Story

Please Reply soon and VM me
    Last edited by White_Roar~; 10th July 2012 at 8:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklett12 View Post
    Hi My name is Ducklett12 and I was wondering, could you define "no more than 2 pages" like do you mean 2 actual thread pages or what? because I was planning to post a Pokemon Story
    Not sure what you mean here because the only bit about two pages in the rules is the two-page minimum, and it's pretty clear that it means two pages in Microsoft Word (or other word processor). That means that when you write your chapter in Word, Open Office, or something similar (which you should be doing for all fics), every chapter except the prologue needs to be at least two pages long. The rules also mention other specifics, so it'll be a good idea to reread them carefully.

Also if I were to post in one of my Pokemon stories would I be able to post anything about kissing in it? I mean that would be rare to see in the story something like every 5 Chapters or so. (That includes an Open Mouth Kiss) What rating would that go under, PG-13?
    Just so you know, kissing is incredibly tame, so there really aren't any restrictions on that. I mean, if Disney shows kissing all the time in their G-rated movies, there really shouldn't be any reason why that alone would bump up your rating. Of course, if you throw in anything else (groping, for example), that'd be a different story, but if it's just a normal kiss, nothing to worry about.

REBOOT: Chapter twelve now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    Not sure what you mean here because the only bit about two pages in the rules is the two-page minimum, and it's pretty clear that it means two pages in Microsoft Word (or other word processor). That means that when you write your chapter in Word, Open Office, or something similar (which you should be doing for all fics), every chapter except the prologue needs to be at least two pages long. The rules also mention other specifics, so it'll be a good idea to reread them carefully.

Just so you know, kissing is incredibly tame, so there really aren't any restrictions on that. I mean, if Disney shows kissing all the time in their G-rated movies, there really shouldn't be any reason why that alone would bump up your rating. Of course, if you throw in anything else (groping, for example), that'd be a different story, but if it's just a normal kiss, nothing to worry about.
    Ok thanks for the information but I can't post a fanfic here because my Chapters are 10 pages or more in Microsoft Word and Google Docs

Ok thanks for the information but I can't post a fanfic here because my Chapters are 10 pages or more in Microsoft Word and Google Docs
    Just to drop in here:

They basically need to be more than two pages or more. Yours being 10, should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricbluewolf View Post
    Just to drop in here:

They basically need to be more than two pages or more. Yours being 10, should be fine.
    What do you mean by that the rules strictly say that it can't be that

I think you misread the rules. Chapters have to be at least two pages in Word, not no more than. There is no upper limit on how long your chapters or stories can be.

Morphic

I think you misread the rules. Chapters have to be at least two pages in Word, not no more than. There is no upper limit on how long your chapters or stories can be.
    Oh! So can I post story with chapters that are 10 pages long?

Oh! So can I post story with chapters that are 10 pages long?
    Yes, you can. Ten pages = at least two pages long.

REBOOT: Chapter twelve now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

Yes, you can. Ten pages = at least two pages long.
    Ohhhhhhhh! so a chapter can't be 1 page long Ok thanks!

But another question, would I be able to make a thread private to myself?
    ?
    Last edited by White_Roar~; 24th July 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Ohhhhhhhh! so a chapter can't be 1 page long Ok thanks!
    Uh, yes. That would be what I said the first time around.

But another question, would I be able to make a thread private to myself like since I'm still writing my story would I be able to make a thread called (this is the title of my story) "My Journey in the Kanto Region [PG] would I be able to edit the thread? or once I post would it just be closed because it's a story?
    No, it's not possible to make a thread that's viewable only to you. That's why you should be writing your story in a word processor (Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, or programs like them), not directly on the forums -- so you can save your progress without showing us work you don't intend to show off.

You can post individual chapters when you finish them (see any fic on the forums as an example), or you can post your fic when you're done. It's just that the thread won't be private, and it won't be automatically closed (unless you break any of the other forum rules).
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 10th July 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Uh, yes. That would be what I said the first time around.

No, it's not possible to make a thread that's viewable only to you. That's why you should be writing your story in a word processor (Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, or programs like them), not directly on the forums.

You can post individual chapters when you finish them (see any fic on the forums as an example), or you can post your fic when you're done. It's just that the thread won't be private, and it won't be automatically closed (unless you break any of the other forum rules).
    Oh no I meant that I'll be writing it on a word processor and then copy it to the thread can I do that and sorry about the your first post I just didn't understand at first when I read the rules

Yes, you can write your chapters in a word processor and then copy them into the thread. That's what you're supposed to do.

Morphic

I have 1 more question before I post

Can I double post on my own Fan Fic thread so I can post my chapters? or do I have to wait for feedback?

Please reply soon or VM me
    Last edited by White_Roar~; 10th July 2012 at 11:44 PM.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast